As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Am Alive

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
UPDATE!
It's not much, and it is pre-rendered, but there is now some kind of trailer for this.
(link supplied by Sheep) http://kotaku.com/5025634/ubisoft-announces-i-am-alive-for-spring-09

It's only a small piece of news so far, but I'm already interested to hear more. Via Eurogamer, this small rumour from Gamekyo:
We can today announce that Ubisoft will show for the first time a new action game during E3 2008 next week called I Am Alive for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Jade Raymond (Assassin's Creed) will be working on this new game developed by Darkworks (Cold Fear) in Paris since 3 years. Scheduled to be released during spring 2009, I Am Alive is a survival video game that takes place after an earthquake in Chicago, it will be a first person game without heavy weapons, a little bit like Mirror's Edge. Ubisoft will show a very long video of I Am Alive (14 - 20 minutes) during E3 2008, no playable version will be shown this time, we will probably have to wait for Games Convention in Germany to see the first playable demo of the game.

has me wondering what this could be like, especially as I'm already enamoured with Mirror's Edge. Anything looking to innovate from the first-person perspective has my attention.

And yes, supposedly Jade Raymond is working on it, hooray, but anyone caught turning this into a discussion about her and either "OMG SHE'S HOT!" or bitching that "people only care because they think she's hot!" will be dragged out back and shanked.

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, like Alone in the Dark then?

Also shouldn't she be working on Assassin's Creed 2?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cold Fear sucked. A lot.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe a bit AItD but hopefully without the horror side of things, or bugs and complaints.
    Also first-person.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jade Raymond is just part of Ubisoft's marketing plan.

She's a producer. She's not a game designer or coder or artist or writer or cinematographer or whatever. She helps getting budgets and deadlines and organizing things together.

This game, I Am Alive, it's being developed by a team that has already done a survival horror game already.

Incidentally, their previous Survival Horror game was a very direct rip off of Resident Evil 4. That said, it was still a fairly decent game. Not bad, but not definitely not great.

So I think that a new game by the dev team could potentially be good. But I don't think Jade Raymond's involvement in it anything has much to do with anything. She's just a name and a face that Ubisoft spent a long time and money building up to get geeks worked up over and spread the hype over any game for which they can name-drop her for.

edit: for the record, I'm sure Jade Raymond is a fine producer and good at her job. But it's also clear to me that marketing did their job in making her a big, well known name and face that they can use to hype and sell a game.

slash000 on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am Alive is a horrible name.

Kinda like You are Empty, which is a terrible game.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This idea sounds hot.

Jade Raymond is hot.

This game sounds hot.

I will buy Jade Ray- I mean this game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Didn't someone make an earthquake survival game ages ago? Where you needed to find water to stay alive or something?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    This idea sounds hot.

Jade Raymond is hot.

This game sounds hot.

Don't make me do it because I swear to whichever deity has forsaken you I will drag you out back and add one more number to the rising knife-crime statistics.

I'm just intrigued by the premise of surviving a post-earthquake Chicago. Sounds like plenty of room for a good atmosphere and some kickass set-pieces.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooooh, new premise. I'm intrigued.

Edit: Our minds are both of the awesome.

Meiz on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Jade Raymond is just part of Ubisoft's marketing plan.

She's a producer. She's not a game designer or coder or artist or writer or cinematographer or whatever. She helps getting budgets and deadlines and organizing things together.

This game, I Am Alive, it's being developed by a team that has already done a survival horror game already.

Incidentally, their previous Survival Horror game was a very direct rip off of Resident Evil 4. That said, it was still a fairly decent game. Not bad, but not definitely not great.

So I think that a new game by the dev team could potentially be good. But I don't think Jade Raymond's involvement in it anything has much to do with anything. She's just a name and a face that Ubisoft spent a long time and money building up to get geeks worked up over and spread the hype over any game for which they can name-drop her for.

Yeah I have to say I agree with this. I never understood why Jade Raymond was pushed so hard with Assassin's Creed. The only real reason I could come up with was "marketing must have thought it was a good idea."

subedii on
    edited July 2008
    Didn't someone make an earthquake survival game ages ago? Where you needed to find water to stay alive or something?

Yeah, they did. Called "Disaster Report," or SOS: The Final Escape.

Survival horror set in a city after major earthquakes, described as Silent Hill without monsters, a survival horror game without all the gun-toting action of the REs, meant to be realistic, etc

I believe there was another game with the same premise on the PS2, the name of which I cannot remember.

slash000 on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If this is done well it could be really great. It's high time someone did a more realistic survival game, and Lost in Blue doesn't count, because, well...it just doesn't. Seems like it could be really fun just trying to find food, water and shelter in a torn up cityscape if it's well executed. Oh and also the earthquake has mysteriously made some people into PSYCHOPATHIC SERIAL KILLERS, HUNDREDS OF THEM EVERYWHERE

Survival horror set in a city after major earthquakes, described as Silent Hill without monsters, a survival horror game without all the gun-toting action of the REs, meant to be realistic, etc

Hmm, sounds like something I need to look into.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still think its impressive that Jade made Assassins Creed all by herself

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited July 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    This idea sounds hot.

Jade Raymond is hot.

This game sounds hot.

Don't make me do it because I swear to whichever deity has forsaken you I will drag you out back and add one more number to the rising knife-crime statistics.

I'm just intrigued by the premise of surviving a post-earthquake Chicago. Sounds like plenty of room for a good atmosphere and some kickass set-pieces.

I would love them to go for a kind of Bioshock atmosphere. When you started out in the game and everything was broken down and falling apart,that was just amazing.

Put this into a realistic setting and add the best sound effects ever and you will have a great game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Was that the one on the boat? I vaguely remember considering it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2008

Hmm, sounds like something I need to look into.

Apparently, if you can get past some controls issues and some bugs, and weak graphics, then it's a fairly decent game underneath.

Some people enjoyed it despite these things, some people couldn't due to the issues with the controls/graphics and bugs.

slash000 on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I believe there was another game with the same premise on the PS2, the name of which I cannot remember.

Raw Danger.

That's the sequel to Disaster Report. It was silently localized here though, with absolutely no publicity.

A first person Disaster Report/Raw Danger sequel? Nice.

By the team that did Cold Fear? Not nice.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm torn... I love me some survival horror, but I rented the last game the dev team put out and found it pretty uninteresting. Like Resident Evil 4, but wholly meh instead of HOLY SHIT AWESOME. I will wait patiently.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, like Alone in the Dark then?

Also shouldn't she be working on Assassin's Creed 2?

Gotta admit, the marketing thing with Jade worked, because this is exactly what I first thought off. I mean , it's not like they can't make AC2 without her or anything.

noir_blood on
    edited July 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Was that the one on the boat? I vaguely remember considering it.

Yes, Cold Fear. The gameplay design was lifted straight from RE4. But it was set in a boat, and the enemies are humans to which something evil has happened, causing them to want to kill you. You walk/run around in typical RE style, solving puzzles and looking for items to unlock the next area. Trying to figure out what's going on. The control and action setup is the same as RE4; overthe shoulder camera with tank controls, and holding up a gun with a laser sight, everything. Lots of backtracking, scavenging for ammo, etc.

Some people enjoyed it as a decent rip off of RE4 with a pretty well-done cold, rainy boat setting. Other people felt like it was repetitive and too backtracky and lacking in variety in enemies/puzzles, with overly linear characters and blah story.

slash000 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll buy it because I'm a survival horror whore. It can't be as bad as Alone in the Dark. I just... Can't be.

urahonky on
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »

Raw Danger.

That's the sequel to Disaster Report. It was silently localized here though, with absolutely no publicity.

Yes! That's the name of the game I was trying to think of.

Same sort of premise; 'realistic' survival horror in a devastated city.

Same issues with controls/presentation as the first. But still, seems like a good bunch of people were able to see past some of the presentation and controls issues and enjoy it.

Kind of a budget game too.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    Raw Danger Trailer. In...Japanese?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=de3ZWOTnypA

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Is 'survival horror' a fair classification though? I'd hold that for games that are deliberately trying to scare you with monsters and crap like that. This sounds just more like 'survival' so far.
    I'm just hoping against supernatural crap and monsters. If the conflict comes from looters and stuff, that could work fine. I don't want zombies or whatever. A trashed city and a few over-zealous survivors would suit me.

Also on saying it's a silly title, I Am Legend?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    That trailer I posted shows exactly what I was talking about earlier.

The water and the mayhem, having to move stuff or grab onto things to not be swept away.

This can be amazing on a next gen platform.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Game would sell more if it was called "Still Alive".

edited July 2008
    Damnit.. now I'm going to have to find a copy of Raw Danger, because there's a deep down part of me that loves natural disasters and playing a game on it, no matter how dated, gets me in the right spot.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Game would sell more if it was called "Still Alive".

:x

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Damnit.. now I'm going to have to find a copy of Raw Danger, because there's a deep down part of me that loves natural disasters and playing a game on it, no matter how dated, gets me in the right spot.

It should be easy enough to find. I got it at Wal-Mart because I took a look at the cover and instantly recognized that it was a localization of the Disaster Report sequel, which as a Disaster Report fan I had no idea that there was a localization. o_O

I saw it also at Toys R Us and Gamestop. All cheap.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65571

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm gambling on a "lost" like feel. No monsters, no giant sandworms and zombies trying to eat you, but Chicago being destroyed by an earthquake is totally impossible. There are few places as far from a fault line as Chicago is. I suppose there are some volcanically active regions up in the northern part of the US, and maybe they could go with an undocumented volcano or something, but that would seem contrived. If you wanted it to be real you could just set it in San Francisco, or LA.

So the protagonist awakes one day, you start going about your business and then the city is struck by a horrifyingly powerful earthquake. Noone knows what is going on, or what to do. There are remarkably few survivors, and what little news does trickle in brings nothing but more confusion. Some news casts are talking about Chicago, some seem to be completely ignoring it. Radio and Television announcements tell you to go places for supplies and rescue, but noone ever comes. Aftershocks rip into the city, seemingly at random, nowhere is safe. Some other survivors talk of seeing helicopters picking people up, others swear blindly they haven't seen anything from outside since the earthquake. As time passes food and fresh water become scarce astoundingly swiftly, news broadcasts from the outside become both increasingly desperate, filled with requests for any survivors to come, to make themselves known in any fashion, assuring them that rescue teams are on the ground searching for them, and yet others begin to talk about other issues in the World, even discussing Chicago itself as if nothing had happened. The power grid flickers between life and death, illuminating the shattered remnants of a city, before casting it back into a dusty gloom. Fires and dust from the earthquake make it hard to see, to breathe, and the sun casts only a pallid glow during the day.

It begins to become clear that your only hope is to get out of the city, past the earthquakes, fires and hungry animals. Past people driven mad by fear and desperation. Past the looters, criminals and thugs driven to the brink of desperation. Will you go on alone? Will you trust others to help you? All you know is that you are alive, and you intend to stay that way.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It should be easy enough to find. I got it at Wal-Mart because I took a look at the cover and instantly recognized that it was a localization of the Disaster Report sequel, which as a Disaster Report fan I had no idea that there was a localization. o_O

I saw it also at Toys R Us and Gamestop. All cheap.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65571

Oh man. That box art is just...just horrible.

Still the graphics don't look nearly as horrid as Disaster Report's, so I may have to check it out.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Yeah... Chicago has been in the affect area of a 5.2 magnitude earthquake as recent as April of this year. While not nearly as active as say the California fault line (San Andreas), there is some history of earthquake activity in the area, though it tends to be further south in the state with shockwaves reaching Chicago.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Oh man. That box art is just...just horrible.

Yes, it is.

But have you ever seen the Japanese box art for the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi series?

zettai20zetsumei20toshicc9.jpg
    b000bncjpu09lzzzzzzzrq7.jpg

edited July 2008
    Guys. I bet at the end of the game you find out that the main character was actually dead the whole time.

PLOT TWIST!

urahonky on
    edited July 2008
    There should also be hallucinations. Or well, not really hallucinations but more like, optical illusions. Remember in Alien vs Predator 2 (the game!) where you think an Alien's head is looking through the ceiling and then it's actually just a thick black cable? Stuff like that should be in there.
    The game should play with our "gamer mentality" of expecting things to jump at you and such.
    Like,you walk into a room and suddenly a man jumps towards you from the dark and you jump back and realize it was just a coat hanger/stand with a coat and a hat on top.

I would love that game so much.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Yeah... Chicago has been in the affect area of a 5.2 magnitude earthquake as recent as April of this year. While not nearly as active as say the California fault line (San Andreas), there is some history of earthquake activity in the area, though it tends to be further south in the state with shockwaves reaching Chicago.

Well everywhere gets earthquakes, but you don't get massive earthquakes destroying a whole city away from fault lines and regions of strong volcanic activity. I mean, the UK got a 4.7 this year and it's about as far away from a fault line as chicago is. My point was, why go with Chicago if you don't want to make it mysterious? There are lots of iconic US cities to realistically destroy with earthquakes if you want. San Diego for example would give you your big tall buildings, and a large suburban area around it if you didn't want San Francisco.

tbloxham on
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Guys. I bet at the end of the game you find out that the main character was actually dead the whole time.

PLOT TWIST!

OMG SPOILER THAT!

Really though, I'm hoping that bit about a 14-minute video is true, since I really want to see how this game looks and what themes they're going for.

Fingers will be crossed for minimal combat, with a greater emphasis on navigating a destroyed city.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2008

PLOT TWIST!

In my plot you'd never find out what the hell was going on, I reckon I'd just have it be impossible to escape, you'd always go mad, but you'd compete with everyone to try and get as far as you possibly could.

tbloxham on
    edited July 2008

PLOT TWIST!

You are actually from the future and are possessing a man's body in the past so you can go into a secret lab during the earthquake and get data on a new weapon which was build in the future and is going to explode in 1 hour until you can disarm it.

I...I should be a writer.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2008

PLOT TWIST!

You are actually from the future and are possessing a man's body in the past so you can go into a secret lab during the earthquake and get data on a new weapon which was build in the future and is going to explode in 1 hour until you can disarm it.

I...I should be a writer.

I'd buy it.

urahonky on