As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Hell, even their forum software breaks when they patch it.

Unknown User on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow. This looks like the worst patch yet. It seems I stopped playing just in time.

BionicPenguin on
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heh, I just wrote Funcom on a balloon and stabbed it. It was strangely satisfying, hearing it pop and watching the pieces fly everywhere.

Galielmus on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    another "undocumented patch" thats been reported was that elite bosses now scale to the user. so level 80s who are trying to solo are getting 3-hit by bosses in sanctum now. in other words, grey elites will kill you easily. now i don't care about the dudes solo farming really, but the other day i was trying to run through black castle to do the quests with my friends - but we're not a full group. my higher level helped a lot with the healing, and even though we only got 1xp clearing out a couple of the basement bosses was a lot of fun. now i would imagine that would be impossible if the boss scaled to me and my friends were now way too low to keep the dps up.

krylon666 on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    krylon666 wrote: »
    another "undocumented patch" thats been reported was that elite bosses now scale to the user. so level 80s who are trying to solo are getting 3-hit by bosses in sanctum now. in other words, grey elites will kill you easily. now i don't care about the dudes solo farming really, but the other day i was trying to run through black castle to do the quests with my friends - but we're not a full group. my higher level helped a lot with the healing, and even though we only got 1xp clearing out a couple of the basement bosses was a lot of fun. now i would imagine that would be impossible if the boss scaled to me and my friends were now way too low to keep the dps up.

Yeah, but the benefits of the nerf outweigh the negatives. The auction house was jam-packed with crap level 80s farmed from the elite versions of instances. Playing on elite guarantees purple drops from bosses in a zone 50 or above.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This happened a month ago

Stealthc on
    edited July 2008
    yeah, but who cares if that shit is on the auction house? would you rather be able to enjoy certain content with your friends or not be able to because of people wanted to farm to get equipment sets? they could've made greys not drop purples/blues (and i'm not really sure you're right about the guarenteed purples). i'm pretty sure people farm sanctum for blues. regardless, i think there are other ways they could handle things like this that wouldn't adversely effect "normal players". like i'd be real stoked if i could "apprentice" my level down along with bringing my friends level up. so if i can drop back to 30 and do black castle with them etc. that would be great

krylon666 on
    edited July 2008
    Stealthc wrote: »

This happened a month ago

if so, i only saw it today. my mistake.

how about not getting exp for grey quests anymore? i just read that one too..

krylon666 on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, but who cares if that shit is on the auction house? would you rather be able to enjoy certain content with your friends or not be able to because of people wanted to farm to get equipment sets? they could've made greys not drop purples/blues (and i'm not really sure you're right about the guarenteed purples). i'm pretty sure people farm sanctum for blues. regardless, i think there are other ways they could handle things like this that wouldn't adversely effect "normal players". like i'd be real stoked if i could "apprentice" my level down along with bringing my friends level up. so if i can drop back to 30 and do black castle with them etc. that would be great

Like I said, zones level 50 and above drop purples. Sanctum is like.. mid 30.

If they removed the better drops from bosses in epic, there would be no point in running epic. You're not gonna be able to complete an epic instance until the mobs are very close to grey anyway.

Figgy on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    - Invisible walls everywhere, it's now impossible to climb an average slope.
    I really liked how you could actually climb certain terrain instead of having to spend 20 minutes going all the way around. I'm not talking about glitching a hill, but simply slowly walking up a 70 degree slope. No more! Wild Lands adventurers suck a dick

This is one of the things that really got to me when I was still actively playing the game a few weeks ago. It's not enough that I have to trek halfway across the map for one quest goal, but I'm not allowed to shorten the trip with a little ingenuity either? Random invisible walls on hills that are easily climbable elsewhere make me a sad panda.

What really pushed me to quit though was when I hit 40 and started doing Stygia's dungeons, only to find that they were basically pointless. I had at least 4 broken quests, one of which required me to roam over the entire damn map only to break on one of the last points.

Probad on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probad wrote: »
    I really liked how you could actually climb certain terrain instead of having to spend 20 minutes going all the way around. I'm not talking about glitching a hill, but simply slowly walking up a 70 degree slope. No more! Wild Lands adventurers suck a dick

This is one of the things that really got to me when I was still actively playing the game a few weeks ago. It's not enough that I have to trek halfway across the map for one quest goal, but I'm not allowed to shorten the trip with a little ingenuity either? Random invisible walls on hills that are easily climbable elsewhere make me a sad panda.

What really pushed me to quit though was when I hit 40 and started doing Stygia's dungeons, only to find that they were basically pointless. I had at least 4 broken quests, one of which required me to roam over the entire damn map only to break on one of the last points.

Yeah, the Pyramid is completely broken. They're not fixing it because they plan to revamp it with a new version that's going to be "totally awesome guys seriously", but the current instance is fine if it would just work so they should use their time on content where it's needed...

Zek on
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »

Yeah, the Pyramid is completely broken. They're not fixing it because they plan to revamp it with a new version that's going to be "totally awesome guys seriously", but the current instance is fine if it would just work so they should use their time on content where it's needed...

I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, believe that Funcom's current game plan is to polish the game from the bottom up. They probably look at the numbers and see that the majority of their player base is lower levels, so they think it makes the most "sense" to fix shit in the lower areas first.

End-game content? Quests for the second half of the game? Why waste time on that now? We've got typos and quests in the Wild Lands to fix.

Thing is, those players at level 30 thinking the game is great are the same players at level 50 who can't bring themselves to log in anymore.

They really fucked themselves by having 80 levels at launch. Further, making leveling so quick made it even worse. It's almost impossible not to burn through the content in this game.

I had a guild of about 100 people. I stopped playing for 2 weeks. I logged back in. Noone in my guild is online.

Figgy on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »

I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, believe that Funcom's current game plan is to polish the game from the bottom up. They probably look at the numbers and see that the majority of their player base is lower levels, so they think it makes the most "sense" to fix shit in the lower areas first.

End-game content? Quests for the second half of the game? Why waste time on that now? We've got typos and quests in the Wild Lands to fix.

Thing is, those players at level 30 thinking the game is great are the same players at level 50 who can't bring themselves to log in anymore.

They really fucked themselves by having 80 levels at launch. Further, making leveling so quick made it even worse. It's almost impossible not to burn through the content in this game.

I had a guild of about 100 people. I stopped playing for 2 weeks. I logged back in. Noone in my guild is online.

The problem with the patches, it seems, is that they are so worried about small nuances in class balance, yet there are still problems with so many other things that people can't look beyond.

It amazes me how many MMOs come out so unpolished. It's fairly norm, but in this post-wow generation, you MUST have a polished game out of the box for it to succeed. Even with AOC's monster figures at first, due to the hype, it's subscriber base is dropping dramatically.

Rivulent on
    edited July 2008
    Yes, I do not understand the logic behind tweaking class balance now while the core mechanics are still not solidified. And beyond even the core mechanics not functioning, you have feat after feat after feat for every class either completely not functioning, functioning improperly, or scaling incorrectly. For the life of me I cannot understand the logic here, and can only conclude that either, (1) they know something I do not (complete and utter possibility) or that (2) ...their management is just completely out of touch with software, hardware, gaming, and MMO's in general.

Galielmus on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my favourite thing was when they shrunk the polearms. all the guardians are like OMGWTFBBQ and a couple patches later they say they've changed it back. but nope, they in fact accidentally made javelins twice the size and kept polearms the same small size. /facepalms all over the guardian boards

I think thats also around the same time I quit

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I log in and talk in guild chat about how it's a ghost town in Eiglophan mountains and am told I should go back to wow

/grumble... I hate this game's community

Incidently I've gotten my WoW fix by playing on a private server, rolling an alt up to 70 in 2 days instead of 2 months ftw, hopefully this tides me over until warhammer

override367 on
    edited July 2008
    It's just the opposite - the slower leveling is, the more quests it takes to fill the space. They should have sped up leveling even more or reduced the number of levels so that you would hit level cap by the time you've done everything there is, and then they could work on endgame content from day one. Instead they got greedy wanting to keep people leveling for months, so they fell back on grinding and now everybody just quits instead.

On a sidenote, the leveling incentive in this game is horrible... You only get an ability every handful of levels, and they're almost all just new ranks. Not to mention that they forgot to make a new rank something to actually look forward to. As a melee class going up a rank means your combo takes longer, and as a caster your new spell ranks do nearly the same damage for much more mana since they all scale with level anyway(the older ones just stop scaling at the level you get a new one, meaning it's not worth switching yet at that point).

Zek on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Great. my map no longer shows quest objectives or areas, and relogging doesn't seem to fix it. This has pretty much stopped my ability to progress at all. Anyone had this issue or knows of a fix?

edit: Hah, ctrl + b which is to submit a bug i think, just crashed my client. How do you submit a request for GM help in game?

Lly on
    edited July 2008
    Do you have show quest markers turned off? It's in the orange arrow at the top left of the minimap (where you choose instances).

BionicPenguin on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe try in the interface options.

By the way, I'm 15 levels into my HoX and lovin' it. A really fun class!

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you have show quest markers turned off? It's in the orange arrow at the top left of the minimap (where you choose instances).

Yeah a GM just pointed that out to me! I felt quite the idiot, although in my defence i never turned it off and had never used that option before. Apparently it sometimes turns itself off.

Thanks mate.

Lly on
    edited July 2008
    I've seen dozens of people ask the same question in the game. It's really the kind of thing you'd expect to find in interface options.

BionicPenguin on
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if they fixed something in the last patch or what, but the game has run absolutely silky smooth for me since yesterday. In fact, I can now have firefox open with multiple tabs going and alt+tab between it and the game with relative ease. A week ago, I had to close every program that was open in the hopes of keeping a solid framerate. I am extremely, extremely pleased. Might even bump up the draw distance!

Chad Sexington on
    edited July 2008
    New letter from the game director.

Summary? Brutal.

It's basically an essay blowing smoke up his own ass. He talks about frequent updates, performance fixes, and content updates that have "already gone out." That's odd, because all I've experienced so far is teeter-totter class changes and "one step forward, two steps back" bug fixes.

He then says the "PVP updates" that were announced last month are currently on the "internal test servers." From there, they will hit live test and finally live servers. His estimate is August. I doubt this, since we're into mid-July and testing has just begun on their internal servers, then a few weeks on live test.. that's the end of August.

Also, he talks about the DirectX 10 update, which is now scheduled to be released in fucking FALL. What happened to August? What really gets me is that, at first, there was NO fucking mention of the game not launching with DX10. I played closed beta for quite a while, and the general assumption was that DX10 was slated for the end of beta. Then, a day or so before release they announce that DX10 is coming in the summer. Now it's fall. Wicked.

Make note of how many times he uses the word "quality," as if the game was ever really worried about the notion after you left level 20 :P

And lastly, the guy sounds like he's twelve years old: "At the same time we will also add another dungeon to the same Outdoor Adventuring Region – being a level 80 group instance, with bosses and cool loot."

Figgy on
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    It's somewhat bewildering to me that a fairly innocuous letter from AoC's director talking about changes, updates, and fixes can be more poorly received than the news that WAR is cutting four cities and four classes. I guess Funcom and/or Howard's IP doesn't inspire the same level of devotion.

Chad Sexington on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's somewhat bewildering to me that a fairly innocuous letter from AoC's director talking about changes, updates, and fixes can be more poorly received than the news that WAR is cutting four cities and four classes. I guess Funcom and/or Howard's IP doesn't inspire the same level of devotion.

A big part of it, I'd imagine, is that one of the games has disappointed buyers already, after they've invested time and money. The other one is still subject to the light of optimism.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited July 2008

It's not that this letter is particularly offensive, it's just that AoC has already been a big letdown for a lot of people, Funcom's handling of it hasn't been very impressive so far and it doesn't seem like the fixes it really needs are coming any time soon. WAR just hasn't done anything to sour people's optimism yet, though there's definitely been a lot of pessimism about the cutbacks.

Zek on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Hell, I'm even pessimistic about the cutbacks, and if you pay any attention to the WAR threads you know that's just crazy talk.

The difference, for me, is that WAR is still in beta. You still have 3+ months until you can make the decision to buy it or not. With AoC, they already have at least 50$ of your money, and last time I checked snake oil doesn't have a good resale value.

Unknown User on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wish AOC had taken a long hard look at their game 3 months ago and cut some of the drek that's included in favor of finishing the grime covered gems the game offers

override367 on
  • Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I quit 2 weeks ago, just saw the patch notes for last weeks patch. Think I quit just in time.
    I should know better then to start playing games at launch, but even if I did give this game another 6 months, hard to say if it will be good then based on their current game design decisions already.
    I think It would be extremely interesting to see what the active subscribers were at the peak, and what they are now

Vladimir7 on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still playing even with all the crappy changes (screwing up the ability to climb certain slopes for the latest example). But I honestly don't know if this game is going to go in the right direction. It seems clear that Funcom has problems keeping their own time tables. And when the changes do come out there always seems to be a number of new things broke. Bugs are inevitable in any program of that size, but good companies can keep their impact to a minimum. I'm not sure Funcom has the organization to do it.

I used to look forward to patches. Now I close my eyes and brace myself for the inevitable new bug or "feature" they have added. I'm at the point where I would wish they only would add 4-5 things per patch and then just made absolutely sure no game changing bugs creeped in with them. This next patch coming up looks huge. But instead of being happy about it I'm dreading the amount of bugs that are inevitably coming with it.

I signed up for the 3 month block payment, so I might as well try to get my money's worth. But most of the enthusiasm i had for this game is fading quickly.

Apostate on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Vladimir7 wrote: »
    I quit 2 weeks ago, just saw the patch notes for last weeks patch. Think I quit just in time.
    I should know better then to start playing games at launch, but even if I did give this game another 6 months, hard to say if it will be good then based on their current game design decisions already.
    I think It would be extremely interesting to see what the active subscribers were at the peak, and what they are now

IAWTP

I didn't even experience most of the bugs that were completely gamebreaking for some but for me the 'glaring' issue was that FunCom made some really idiotic design/gameplay decisions and I just couldn't be arsed to tolerate that level of poor decision making...

Plus I wish they'd sort their bloody grammar out! (Though, I appreciate my Norwegian is piss poor...)

Grenn on
    edited July 2008
    Grenn wrote: »

IAWTP

I wasn't sure what that meant, and I google'd it. The first thing I saw was, "I am wearing tight pants!!"

I had to do a bit more digging to see what you actually meant.

Figgy on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

IAWTP

I wasn't sure what that meant, and I google'd it. The first thing I saw was, "I am wearing tight pants!!"

Oh. He isn't wearing tight pants? :|

Shens on
  • Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

IAWTP

Oh. He isn't wearing tight pants? :|

I Also Want To Pee?

Super_Happy on
    edited July 2008
    While he still may be wearing tight pants, the acronym stands for: I agree with this post

Figgy on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I kind of guess it stood for "I am with this person" but as I was typing it out I decided it maybe means "I agree with this post?"

That's completely baseless though. What does it stand for?

EDIT: Nice! What do I win?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    300 rape dollars

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited July 2008
    So shouldnt the thead title be changed to Robert E. Howard Posthumously Murders Funcom Staff?

Galielmus on
    edited July 2008
    I just logged in to play for a bit. While killing a quest boss, some random tries to group me. I reject. He then starts attacking me.

The battle ended with me dying and him with a sliver of health. So, I res and set out with my stealth and track, preparing to fuck shit up.

Well, Funcom says, "NO!"

Just as I see the guy running past me the game locks up.

It seems that every time I decide to hop on and play the game, the game says, "No way, man. Did you forget that I'm a piece of shit? Well.. here's a reminder.. *crash*"

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.