Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[IC] The Challenge of the Kobolds (wrap-up, thanks for playing!)

dscrilladscrilla Registered User
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
You sit in the common room of the Blue Moon alehouse. You are all regulars here, and tonight you are enjoying brewmistress Kemara's latest creation. The old dwarves Teldorthan and Sergeant Murgeddin are exchanging boasts. When drinking they often trade off in their stories, each trying to outdo the other. Without warning a hammering interrupts their boasting. It is a page from the town guard, posting a large flier near the bar.
Flyer wrote:
LOOK HERE!
All sellswords, mercenares,spellweaves,knifemen,wandering preists and holy knights.

Kobold Bounty

In response to the recent banditry, The Lord Warden has announced:
A Bounty of TEN GOLD PIECES per head for any man who kills a Kobold
A Further bounty of ONE HUNDRED GOLD PIECES for any group that
can destroy the Kobold clan at the keep in the Cloak Woods.
Teldorthan grumbles "Kobolds, In my day we had the children clear them out!"
"Aye" Replies Murgeddin, "I had killed two score before I was yea tall!"
"Would hammer em like nails into wood!" " My Axe cut them down like saplings!"
"Aye those where the days" sighs Teldorthan, "Not like that anyone"Agrees Murgeddin.
Teldorthan turns to you and says " You see, all the weakest and dumbest of em
got killed over the years. What we have left are the meanest, cleverest of the lot."
"Oh they are still weak as such things go, but todays Kobolds are much worse than when we were young."
Tldoethan leans forward..."Todays Kobolds are... Nasty" "Sneaky!" "Tricky" "Shooty!" "Cruel" "Smelly!"
"And...Shifty... I would be glad to meet anyone who is strong enough to rout Kobold Hall."
What do you do?
Do your talking and any town trips here. Feel free to ask questions of anyone that you might know in town. Or run any last errands.

dscrilla on

Posts

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cambiel finishes off his tankard, listening to Teldorthan and Murgeddin go on again. He'd been listening to them go on with their exploits for years and still enjoyed the stories. Tonight's yarns of Kobolds and the relative ease at killing them had Cambiel particularly intrigued. The gold pieces for a Kobold heads would be a nice supplement to the meager stipend Nimozaran payed him, and they were little more than savages if rumor were to be believed. Head slightly buzzing he pushes off from his seat and into the fresh night air to look through his spell book and make certain he had the Acid Arrow spell memorized properly, just in case.

    Quid on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thakis laughs at the dwarves' antics from the bar and finishes his ale in one huge gulp. Walking over to the bounty sign, he grins at Murgeddin. "Did the kobolds of yesteryear beam out sunshine and fight with flowers, and did candy pour out of them when you cut them in half? The only difference between those beasts and the ones of today is that they've figured out how to smell even worse and they know now to fear when real warriors come along." Laughing again, he claps his hand on Teldorthan's back in a friendly manner. "Not to worry, a new group of 'children' will take care of them. I'll burn down their damn hall myself if I have enough allies fighting by my side!"

    Jebu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Grinning, Drajhin joins in the tiefling's good-natured ribbing of the dwarves. "If you two were half as tall as the tales you tell, there wouldn't be a tavern in the world that could hold you!" Downing the last of his ale, he walks over to the sign and examines it more closely. "One hundred gold pieces, eh? That's quite a tall order for a few little kobolds. Do you two know anything about this keep?"

    Kilroy on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Murgeddin booms

    "Oooh, strong words from the devil-blood! I can't say I have ever set foot in the hall, but anyone fighting kobolds must be wary of traps. Don't fight on their terms if you can help it."

    Teldorthan interjects: "they will have traps set up, thats for sure, so keep your wits about you. They prefer to pelt from a distance, up close they are less dangerous."

    "Oh and If ye find a green dragonhide, all cured and wrapped for transit, do let me know. I had ordered one from the north but the porters were attacked by those skullkicker bastards. I will reward you well if it is returned to me".

    The Sergent turns to Cambiel: " Are you thinking of helping with this lad?" If so you best ask your master, he might know things about the hall hidden from a couple of mere veterans like us.

    dscrilla on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pokey saunters through with a mug of ale.

    "Call on me if you need help friends. I never tire of stabbing kobolds." "Oh and gold. There's always that."

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cambiel smiles nervously at Murgeddin, "Um, well, yes. A good idea. I was just on my way to find him. And perhaps stop by Naerumar's to pick up some reagents for some useful rituals. I'm certain the knowledge he provides and their utilities will prove quite useful against the kobolds." The realization that this might be harder than he expected dawns on him and he speaks up a bit louder, "And if anyone else is up to it I'll gladly help them with this bounty"

    Quid on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Cambiel goes to the Septarch's tower for advise.

    "This is most fortuitous news young apprentice!" "I have reason to believe there is more to this 'Kobold Hall' than mere kobolds. They are far too aggressive and organized for their race. Some one, or some thing is pulling the strings, I know it. Be prepared to meet a foe you might not be able to match, son." Nimozaran hand you a scroll. "Here, take this, if you get into trouble the incantation will transport you and anyone touching you back here."
    Nimozaran hands you a scroll with a short ritual (can be cast in 3 rounds) that will teleport the party back to his tower.

    dscrilla on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Taking the scroll, Cambiel swallows disliking the turn of events occurring in what was supposed to be a simple quest. "Thank you, master," he says, "I'm certain it will become of use. Soon." With that, he places the scroll in a pocket within his robe and departs to purchase some reagents from Naerumar.

    Quid on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The group of adventurers appear in the tower, many bloodied, covered and slime, and uttering curses having narrowly escaped the oncoming hoard of Kobolds.

    "Bloody fucking creatures everywhere we went with their bloody glue and dodging everything I threw at them," exclaimed Cambiel walking off immediately, relatively unscathed from the adventure. "How many can fit in such a dank cave?!"

    Quid on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drajhin laughs and follows the wizard. "Yes, it was touch and go there for awhile, but we made it through. You did quite well for someone who's never been in battle before. And good timing on that scroll; a few seconds more and none of us might have made it back."

    Kilroy on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thakis growled as he held his wounded leg. "We'll be going back in there to clear the whole damn place out soon enough." His mood lightened suddenly as he held up a sack of bloody kobold ears, a wide grin on his face. "Still, not a bad haul for one day's work, eh?"

    Jebu on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    You reappear is the tower of the Septarch. His owl familiar silently observes the sights, sounds, and smells of your adventure. Soon you hear the old wizard walking quickly toward you. He attends to Vin's wounds, tracing am arcane pattern with a healing salve. Vin feels intense heat as the ritual stitches his flesh back together. After you are all well, (and washed) you sit down in his library to talk, as wine and bread are served by invisible servants.

    Clearly concerned, Nimozaran asks "What did you find there? is there any evidence of a greater power? Perhaps a name?"
    You return to the tower with 14 ears and 60 gold. You take an extended rest, recovering all HP, surges, and powers Your action points are reset to 1.

    dscrilla on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drajhin takes a long drink of wine and begins to relate the tale of their adventures. "According to the two we managed to capture, they work for someone or something called Big Chief Skull. Apparently, he used to only be a little boss, but all the other bosses were eaten by something, making him the leader over all. When we asked what kind of creature this chief is and what ate the other bosses, they panicked and tried to bolt. We had to put them down. That's all we learned."

    Kilroy on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    Nimozaran excitedly asks for more detail. "this thing that ate the other chiefs, did they tell you anything before they died? a name, even a sound? any description at all?"

    dscrilla on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thakis grunts in disgust. "Just a squeal as they tried to run and a squeak when Vin took off their heads for it. Unless 'Skaa...' was a beginning of an answer? In any case, whatever ate their leader terrified them more than we ever could."

    Jebu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Yes, all I heard aside from 'ssssssska' were a bunch of yiffs and yipes, your typical kobold noises." Drajhin adds with a grin.

    Kilroy on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    "it couldn't be......." remakes the old wizard "could it?" " It would explain why they where damming up streams near the keep."

    "Young heroes, I might know who the enemy of Fallcrest is, please follow me to my Scrying chamber"

    Nimozaran leads you to the apex of the tower.
    long post later today

    dscrilla on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    The Septarch's scrying room is a cold chamber of smooth limestone. Protective runes are carved into the doors, windows and a a large diagram of arcane or planar significance is etched into the celling.

    He states "If I am right, what I am about to show you must never be known to the people of Fallcrest"

    Nimozaran walks over to an ornate silvered mirror, he takes out a bag and pours a glowing power over the mirror while chanting. He calls out "Sskaaramorch!" and an image fades into view

    You see the faces of five halfings, bound and sitting in a pit of slime, terrified. One whimpers as a jet black horned mouth grabs and devours him. You now see the entire body of a black winged dragon. You hear Yiffs of praise echo in the rocky chamber. Then the view rises up out of some rocky channel, and you are looking down on a ruins near a forest, you can see what looks like flooding in many parts of the wood. You recognize this as as the area around Kobold Hall.

    "It is as I feared! This young villain has returned..." He turns to and looks at the group... "And It is up to you to face Him"
    Please ask questions of of Nimozaran, we use this thread for anything you do outside of the dungeon.
    There are many options so be creative.

    Roll insight checks

    The GOOD news, you have managed to complete a bonus quest, your total XP is now 1050, Level UP Que the training montage, you will need it.

    dscrilla on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "A dragon? You want us to fight a godsbedamned dragon?" Thakis gives a wide grin, baring his sharp teeth. "And here I thought the only thing interesting to fight around here was scrawny vermin."

    Thakis narrows his eyes at the wizard. "Wait... returned? You've fought this thing before?"
    Insight Check (1d20 1=21) Boo-yah!
    Also updated my character sheet to reflect the new level

    Jebu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drajhin eyes narrow as he stares into the mirror. "A black dragon..." he mutters angrily. "Yes, you say that he has 'returned.' What do you know about this dragon?"
    Insight: 1d20+2=14

    I should have my sheet updated tomorrow.

    Kilroy on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cambiel starts, terror filling his eyes. "Why is there a dragon just outside of town? What're we supposed to do about it?"
    Insight: 1d20+7=18

    Sheet tomorrow.

    Quid on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vin winces as his leg still aches where the drake bit him.. but the grimace quickly grows into a grin as he chuckles to himself, scratching his chin. "Collecting Kobold ears.. to beheadin' black dragons.. We're moving up, friends! This is the kind of adventure I've been dreaming of.. This is something to be sung about in taverns round the world... He may be bigger.. but he'll still squeal like a vermin underneath my boot."
    1d20 1=11 Perception

    Here's the updated lvl2 Vin sheet.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=61626

    TheBog on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    "Yes, Returned" says the old mage. "You see, my order was responsible for the death of his mother, Onyx. She and her many children terrorized this land more than 30 years ago. My order fought a brutal war against them. We killed her and over a dozen of her children, some still in their eggs. That dragon at the keep was one of a few who escaped. Though we saved the area from domination, we paid a price."

    Nimozaran sees the questions in your eyes, and after a pause continues

    "Onyx carried the blessing of Tiamat, dark queen of dragonkind. My entire order was cursed by the goddess for killing so many of her children. I was but an apprentice then, but I bear the same curse." He reveals a five pointed scar on his collarbone. "If ever we killed another child of Tiamat, our own families would in turn be destroyed. It ruined us, who does a town go to if there are dragon troubles? The local wizard! Yet none of us could never face a dragon again. That is why I need you to keep this secret."

    "I had always feared one day her surviving spawn would try to claim her old territory. Although Sskaaramorch must not die from my hand, I can help you defeat him indirectly. You know your enemy, and this knowledge is powerful. In fact you have literally stumbled into a way to help defeat this menace."

    dscrilla on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited June 2008
    The old wizard steps over to stone slab filled with alchemical equipment and multicolored vials. "You see, the slime itself can help protect you" He takes some of the slime from Mohtiv and demonstrates its acid resistance, and goes into a long dissertation on the ecological aspects of the disgusting substance.

    " I also have this for you" Nimozaran hands you each a tiny vial. "drink this if you are injured, they will help restore your vigor. "
    According to Nimozaran; if you cover yourself in the cave slime, you will gain a +3 resistance to Acid for the encounter.

    He gives each of you a potion of healing.
    potion wrote:
    Power (Consumable • Healing): Minor Action. Drink this potion and spend a healing surge. Instead of the hit points you would normally regain, you regain 10 hit points.

    let me know if you have any plans to scout out the dungeon or do anything other than a full frontal assault on the keep.

    dscrilla on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thakis rubs his chin pensively. "Perhaps we should gather a great deal of this slime before we make our attack. We may not have time to take any in the chaos of battle, and we will need every advantage we can get against the vile wyrm."

    "A few of us can enter to collect slime from the entrance while Mohtiv or Drajhin scouts ahead, and hopefully we won't rile the kobolds before we're ready for them. The kobolds will have no chance if we know all their tricks ahead of time." He grimaces as he remembers the sight of the hidden drakes rushing towards him.

    Jebu on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Better to let Mohtiv do, I think," Drajhin grins. "I'm not much for stealth. My clan called me 'Thunderscale' for a reason."

    Kilroy on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mohtiv, who had been simply standing in the back and listening, steps forth. He flicks a coin in which he had idly been spinning around in his hands upward and catches it on the flat of his wrist. After checking the result of the flip he flicks it up into the air again. " I'm all for scouting ahead. It could prove... fortuitous.", he remarks with a smirk.

    He then glanced at the now idle scrying mirror and his mouth quickly inverted. "To fight a beast of legend..."


    He turned back to the group and grabbed the potion that the wizard had offed him. "I'll scout out the area prior to our advance. Luck favors the prepared, yes? We'll all meet up tomorrow at noon. We'll group up outside the stronghold around here...", he says as he takes out a map and circles a field nearby.

    Corp.Shephard on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited July 2008
    The Sky is Grey on the day of your journey. Dark clouds ahead, or the chance of a cleansing rain?

    Server is UP
    71.138.129.247

    dscrilla on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited July 2008
    After a hard fought battle, you return to town as the sun sets after the rains. You take with you a large sack containing the beast's head for Nimozaran to look over, or perhaps mount as a trophy. Also in tow are 4 very thankful tradesmen from the half moon tribe.

    The kobolds of the hall have been routed, the trade route into Fallcrest is secure for now. A greatful town awaits you...

    There are a few follow up items we can do here in the IC thread, quests to complete, etc. One choice is what to do with the head. I would be happy to keep it going using Play by Post while we settle all the quests and town rewards. If we don't RP our way there by Friday, I will post a final summary of rewards.

    I hope you all enjoyed the game. I learned allot and hope to DM more adventures like this. I cannot commit to a regular maptools game with my travel schedule. However, PbP is A-OK if you want to continue, also, In the near future I will run a maptool adventure for lvl2 good PCs and invite you all back.

    dscrilla on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User
    edited July 2008
    You feel you have learned much from your adventures...
    Each PC gets 350 XP for the monsters, and 250 XP for quests.

    In the cave there was a small chest.

    The chest contains the piece
    of dragon hide that Teldorthan wanted recovered, 100
    gold pieces,
    a pearl worth 20 gp in a small felt bag, and
    a +1 lifedrinker longsword.
    +1 Lifedrinker Longsword: This longsword provides
    its user with a +1 enhancement bonus to attack
    rolls and damage rolls. On a critical hit, it deals an
    extra 1d6 necrotic damage. In addition, when the user
    drops an enemy to 0 hit points with a melee attack
    with this weapon, the user gains 5 temporary hit
    points.

    The greatfull townspeople give you a hero's welcome as you enter the blue moon with a dragon head and treasure chest.

    -The town Guard pays you the 300 GP bounty for the ears and the skull mask of the chief.

    -Teldorthan the armorer will happily give a set of Dwarven Armor +1 (Chain, Scale, Plate, players choice) in exchange for the Dragon hide.
    Dwarven chain,scale,or plate.
    Enhancement:+1 AC
    Property: Gain an item bonus to Endurance checks equal to
    the armor’s enhancement bonus.
    Power (Daily ✦ Healing): Free Action. Regain hit points as
    if you had spent a healing surge.

    -Nimozaran is glad the danger has past, he will continue to be a guide and mentor for the young heroes in arcane matters

    -You are considered great heroes of halfmoon trading house. They had thought their clansmen dead and are overjoyed at the rescue.
    They offer you one bag of holding for the group, and one Item of mundane adventuring gear each.
    Bag of Holding
    Property: This bag can hold up to 200 pounds in weight or
    20 cubic feet in volume, but it always weighs only 1 pound.
    Drawing an item from a bag of holding is a minor action.

    You decided the free drinks at the Blue Moon are worth more than components. The Dragon's head is preserved and hung on the mantle of the common room as a monument to a new generation of heroes.

    dscrilla on
Sign In or Register to comment.