As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Hot Topic?

2»

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

I smell bullshit and sidestepping.

The only reason a CoH forum is around is because "somebody knows somebody", not because it's being played by a majority of the forum. And your topics get shot down because you never support them.
    I made the CoH forum. I made it because a group of people came to me and asked for it. If a large group came now I would probably do the same thing. I honestly had never met Accult before then.

Then why did the Hyperiums forum not get created? A rather large group of people asked for it in here, but the cockblocking from Mods because it wasn't one of their buddies seems to be the only reason it didn't get made.

Except I was playing it. Shot down, cunt!

A duck! on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Ugh, the slipper slope shit is stupid. Nobody is asking for a Hot Topic for all consoles, nor is asking for a permanent HT DS forum (Because, remember, they're Hot Topics, people are asking for a DS HT because it comes out in in a month.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MrFisticuffsMrFisticuffs It's Easter, bitches. REJOICE. Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Ugh, the slipper slope shit is stupid. Nobody is asking for a Hot Topic for all consoles, nor is asking for a permanent HT DS forum (Because, remember, they're Hot Topics, people are asking for a DS HT because it comes out in in a month.

So, what are you guys going to talk about in a forum devoted to the DS?

MrFisticuffs on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Wow everyone hates G&T.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Wow everyone hates G&T.

If you read enough threads, I'd hate that forum too.

In fact, I do.

I mean, you know it's bad when people completely avoid posting tech help topics in there, most of them I've seen on H/A.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2004
    I don't agree that the DS forums needs a hot topic, but god damnit, you mods are fucking assholes.

Fuck, everytime G&T regulars ask for something, the outside mods be total cocks about it. Target Practice was being polite and reasonable, why couldn't have you?

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MrFisticuffsMrFisticuffs It's Easter, bitches. REJOICE. Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    I don't agree that the DS forums needs a hot topic, but god damnit, you mods are fucking assholes.

Fuck, everytime G&T regulars ask for something, the outside mods be total cocks about it.

What the fuck? I was asking a simple question.

MrFisticuffs on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    DarthMat wrote:

Fuck, everytime G&T regulars ask for something, the outside mods be total cocks about it.

What the fuck? I was asking a simple question.
    I'm sorry, I'm lumping people together.

I'm just pissed off. There were some not nice replies that upset me.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    DarthMat wrote:

Fuck, everytime G&T regulars ask for something, the outside mods be total cocks about it. Target Practice was being polite and reasonable, why couldn't have you?

The only person who was mildly impolite was A duck! and that means NOTHING. He would've had the same things to say regardless of which forumer was asking for what and which forum they came from.

Untwist your panties.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

The only person who was mildly impolite was A duck! and that means NOTHING. He would've had the same things to say regardless of which forumer was asking for what and which forum they came from.

Untwist your panties.
    Nah.

They acted like pretty big assholes about a minor suggestion, stupid or not.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Other than my sarcastic first few posts, all I did was call a guy a "cunt" long after the thread got ugly.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

Untwist your panties.
    Nah.

Who's they? Munkus was pretty polite. Dyna's no longer a mod, he resigned a whiiiiile back. I had nothing to say until Fyrewulf tried to claim 90% of the forum played Hyperiums. Duck was the only one, and he hardly constitutes a "they". Besides that, he wasn't any worse than he always is.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    pheezer wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

Untwist your panties.
    Nah.

Who's they? Munkus was pretty polite. Dyna's no longer a mod, he resigned a whiiiiile back. I had nothing to say until Fyrewulf tried to claim 90% of the forum played Hyperiums. Duck was the only one, and he hardly constitutes a "they". Besides that, he wasn't any worse than he always is.
    You're right, it hardly constitutes they. Even if that is 'normal duck' it's not much of an excuse to act rude. Especially since Target's post didn't contain any hostility.

When I see a moderator, I see a represention of the moderator group as a whole. Oh well.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    So, what are you guys going to talk about in a forum devoted to the DS?
    Your question does not parse. They'll be talking about stuff related to the launch of the DS, I'd assume, including hardware, pricing, availibility, software, whatever. After launch the forum is archived and closed and discussion continues on the normal G&T boards. This is utterly obvious to me; what answer were you expecting?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2004
    The truth, maybe?

The threads will consist primarily of "OMG THE DS IS SO COOL!" or "MAN, THE PSP WILL MAKE THE DS IT'S BITCH!".

You know damn well it will be that way.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    So you lock and delete them?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    So basically, the entire forum would be full of 100 locked threads, and maybe 3 decent threads at most.

So why not leave it as is?

TDL on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    I didn't see the "primarily" there. Kinda changes things, and I'd take issue with that characterization.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    You don't know much about this community, do you?

TDL on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    150cc wrote:
    Hot Topic forums are specifically for either A.) Community building stuff or B.) stuff that has an almost universal appeal.

Lord of the Rings had an almost universal appeal. When we did the Matrix forums, the Matrix was big enough to have an almost universal appeal. So on and so forth.

Or, we've used Hot Topic for online games or things that many people in the community can play together and get involved with together. Thus, the forums we have in there now.

So where does the WoW forum really fall under in that? There has never been a humongous amount of people on PA in the closed beta and it isn't universally appealing. There aren't exactly a hojillion posts all the time about anything that couldn't fit in one or two big threads.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WoW forum and participate in it all the time, but I don't see it falling to the categories that you have stated.

While I probably wouldn't participate much in a DS HT forum, I do see it as something that could had gone well while it was hot. A lot more inofrmation can bee seen and discussed when it isn't piled behind many pages of people 'discussing' in those gigantic threads that float around.

Also, if/when the PSP comes out or a next generation console, and it seemed to be in the big heat of discussion, I'd think it could get a HT forum as well. No need to play favorites, just what is hot, and what isn't.

While I agree some things don't need their own forums, but the Hot Topic thing would sound fine as long as it was temporary. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't get what the fuss is over creating a temporary forum until the discussion winds down and then deleting it. Sure, there are always those party folks that never want to leave, but they will suck it up and move back to their G&T threads.

This whole discussion was kind of immature, from both sides.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Do you guys ever look at other forums? Yesterday on another forum I read, there was a whole page of threads about Half Life 2. I think the idea is since it was a 'hot topic' it should have a whole seperate, and very temporary, section to it's self, so that these threads don't clog up the main games section.

The thing with our forums over here, is that only one thread per subject is allowed. If someone were to go in and start another thread on the DS, it would probably be locked. Or a lot of people would say things like "Hey, we already have a topic on this." Just going from my previous observations of how our forums work, I'm not trying to criticize anyone. So really, if we are going to have this policy of one thread per subject, there is no need for any hot topics at all.

Dioretsa on
  • Options
    GumbyGumby Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Right now the DS isn't really much... it's just some hub-bub about what could be. A select few have tried it, but they really can't say much of anything. I think if the DS takes off and you can play games online with people around the world like they're hinting at, then a DS Hot Topic forum could be a very nice and appropriate addition here. But right now that just isn't the case, seeing as though it isn't even out yet. Let's wait and see.
    PS I would always post in a DS Hot Topic forum if it comes about - it interests me very much

Gumby on
    LOVE. We should all be rolled together as one.
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Dioretsa wrote:
    Do you guys ever look at other forums? Yesterday on another forum I read, there was a whole page of threads about Half Life 2. I think the idea is since it was a 'hot topic' it should have a whole seperate, and very temporary, section to it's self, so that these threads don't clog up the main games section.
    Maybe because the members like it here? Like the enviroment, the other members, the way things are handled?

Telling people to go somewhere else when they have a suggestion they think would better the forums is not a good way to go about things...

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    DarthMat wrote:
    Dioretsa wrote:
    Maybe because the members like it here? Like the enviroment, the other members, the way things are handled?

Telling people to go somewhere else when they have a suggestion they think would better the forums is not a good way to go about things...

I wasn't telling you to go anywhere... I was simply asking if the majority of people here read a lot of other forums. I honestly don't know.

Dioretsa on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    My god. I had to read that three times before I understood it right. Need sleep.

Sorry, man.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    pheezer wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

Untwist your panties.
    Nah.

You're right, it hardly constitutes they. Even if that is 'normal duck' it's not much of an excuse to act rude. Especially since Target's post didn't contain any hostility.

When I see a moderator, I see a represention of the moderator group as a whole. Oh well.

While that's totally understandable, for future reference you may wish to keep in mind that A duck! has a solid reputation of being a total jerk and that he's not even an On Topic mod, so you may wish to conciously avoid using him as a representative sampling.

Given his reputation, I'd actually suggest he went easy on this one.

Anyhow, Hot Topic forums are generally created to house discussion regarding something when the absence of a forum for the discussion of that something would lead to the utter overwhelming of related forums with multiple discussions of that something.

IE, without a LotR HT forum we would've had 6 threads in G&T, another 6 in EE and a dozen at least in SE. It only made sense. WoW and CoH when they were fresh would have each swamped G&T. The DS isn't in any danger of swamping G&T. Since Glub Glub (who you all hate for this) has stopped making repeated newsposts regarding DS related items, there haven't been any seperate DS related topics created, and the first official thread has yet to break 100 pages.

Contrast that to the Anime threads which have yet to find themselves their own forum.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Dammit, everyone shut up and listen to Fast Eddie.

Hot Topics are community-builders or "big news" items that would fill often fill many threads in various forums.

The damn new Nintendo DS is not going to fill many threads in various forums. Maybe upon launch it might make a squeak of noise but nothing now. So shut your holes.

And the reason you G&T clowns get shot down so often and get "dissed" is because so many of you are complete and utter pantywaists. A frigging DS forum would just be a console war forum with some of you clowns in it. "OMG THE DS SUX" "OMG IT DOESNT PSP SUX" ad infinitum ad nauseum blah blah blah blah blah.

150cc on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Two notes:

1.) WoW is about to go into Open Beta, so it'll probably get a little more traffic.

2.) When the DS comes out I doubt you're going to actually use one thread. What's wrong with 1 for hardware and 1 for good games? You know, kinda like how it's done there now?

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    And the reason you G&T clowns get shot down so often and get "dissed" is because so many of you are complete and utter pantywaists. A frigging DS forum would just be a console war forum with some of you clowns in it. "OMG THE DS SUX" "OMG IT DOESNT PSP SUX" ad infinitum ad nauseum blah blah blah blah blah.
    Pantywaists, huh? Fuck, you're an ass.

It's funny, because we've pretty much managed to keep the DS thread free of flaming and fights for for awhile. Once or twice it rised up, but for the most part, it has been on topic. Take a flipping read of it if you're so sure.

I agree, I don't think we need a DS forum, but you don't have to be a raging butthole about it.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Enough.

I'm not making the forum. Without a very compelling reason, I wont be making any changes to the forums for a while.

Älphämönkëy on
This discussion has been closed.