As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    postan from my iPhone~
    But so I'm trying to set my bookmarks, and I've made a new folder! ...but I can't move any bookmarks into it. I can put new bookmarks into it, however. Is there a trick or must I revisit and rebookmark all the old sites?

Move 'em on your PC and sync.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    almost 9PM and still unable to update my touch. It says that an update is available, but when I try to update, "iTunes store unavailable".

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    postan from my iPhone~
    But so I'm trying to set my bookmarks, and I've made a new folder! ...but I can't move any bookmarks into it. I can put new bookmarks into it, however. Is there a trick or must I revisit and rebookmark all the old sites?

How inelegant! I was hoping it would be something like "drag it to the folder and shake it hard so it knows you mean business".

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I'm finally able to purchase 2.0. Will be doing so in a few minutes--but the MobileMe update has yet to show up in Software Update.

The fuck.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Usability note: my girlfriend has her nine and 11-year old cousins up here this weekend. They both had never used an iPhone before and figured out how to surf the internet and get on AIM
    I mean this in the nicest way possible Satan: you let them touch it?! You?

Heh. Sure. I mean this thing is my baby but people are going to want to play with it. I'm really not the dickhead in real life that I come off as here. See John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Satan. on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I'm finally able to purchase 2.0. Will be doing so in a few minutes--but the MobileMe update has yet to show up in Software Update.

The fuck.

Same here. Am I supposed to do something to make MobileMe happen on my Macs or what? They both say .Mac still.

Satan. on
    edited July 2008
    postan from my iPhone~

Woah hang on. I misinterpreted this to mean I could hook my iphone up to my comp and this would allow me to manage my bookmarks and then save the changes. But what you mean is just setting my iphone bookmarks to my internet explorer bookmarks.

So is there seriously no way to move around the bookmarks on the iphone browser?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    postan from my iPhone~

Woah hang on. I misinterpreted this to mean I could hook my iphone up to my comp and this would allow me to manage my bookmarks and then save the changes. But what you mean is just setting my iphone bookmarks to my internet explorer bookmarks.

So is there seriously no way to move around the bookmarks on the iphone browser?

If there is a way, I have yet to discover it.

Personally, I just have an "iPhone" folder in my PC's bookmarks, and I have the two synced up.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The fuck.

Same here. Am I supposed to do something to make MobileMe happen on my Macs or what? They both say .Mac still.

I downloaded the app to my Powerbook straight from Apple (not through Software Update, TUAW provided a link to it earlier in the week). Not like it matters, my Mac mini still says .Mac and works fine... as far as I can tell it's mostly a cosmetic change.

To answer my own inquiry from before: syncing both Exchange and MobileMe works and works well. If I add something to the calendar, it asks me which calendar (work or personal) to add it to and no data is ever shared between them. You can display them together or one at a time.

This single feature just sold an iPhone to me. Gotta get to the AT&T store sometime this weekend.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited July 2008
    postan from my iPhone~

If there is a way, I have yet to discover it.

Personally, I just have an "iPhone" folder in my PC's bookmarks, and I have the two synced up.

To move existing bookmarks into folders in Mobile Safari, go into the Bookmarks menu and browse to the bookmark you want to move. Then click Edit and tap the bookmark you want to move. In there you can change the bookmark's name, URL and the folder it's in.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

edited July 2008
    Awesome. You're awesome. Thanks so much.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    edited July 2008
    Awesome. You're awesome. Thanks so much.

Anytime. It's not the most intuitive part, but it's one of those things that makes sense in a roundabout way once you've figured it out.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

edited July 2008
    I will have this thing figured out eventually - I'm still tilting it on every app to see if it has any effect.
    Just recently figured out how to set my own ringtones.

I'm convinced you can copy and paste but it's just that no one has discovered how to yet.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So Apple wants me to pay $10 to use some apps that they didn't themselves make.

Awesome. I'll get right on that as soon a hell freezes over.

Kreutz on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will have this thing figured out eventually - I'm still tilting it on every app to see if it has any effect.
    Just recently figured out how to set my own ringtones.

I'm convinced you can copy and paste but it's just that no one has discovered how to yet.

There is no copy and paste. At all. Also back to your bookmarks problem, now that you have a bookmarks folder when you add a new bookmark there will be a little option below the URL entry box letting to stick the bookmark in a folder. If you're planning on adding a lot of bookmarks in the near future make a folder for them first then it'll be easier getting them into place.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There was a link to the ipod touch 2.0 restore file, similar to the one for the iphone, floating around earlier today. Apple seems to have pulled it now, but I managed to upgrade my ipod touch to 2.0, and fooled around with the app store.
    One of the niftier apps I installed was "world 9", which makes a mario jump sound whenever you trigger the accelerometer (by, let's say, jumping). The sound only goes to your headphones, though. Someday, I'll get some external speakers and try it out in public

Serious_Scrub on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dudes with 3G iPhones: how fast does it feel? A shitload faster than the old iPhones? Still slow as molasses? If I unlock my current iPhone and throw it on eBay, it looks like I can get over $300 for it, but I'm debating if it's worth the increased monthly fee.

Pretty damn fast, the only time I really had a hiccup was when I was on a train traveling forty miles per hour, and then it couldn't download a webpage, but I certainly do not fault the equipment for that.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Usability note: my girlfriend has her nine and 11-year old cousins up here this weekend. They both had never used an iPhone before and figured out how to surf the internet and get on AIM
    I mean this in the nicest way possible Satan: you let them touch it?! You?

Heh. Sure. I mean this thing is my baby but people are going to want to play with it. I'm really not the dickhead in real life that I come off as here. See John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

My girlfriend knew I loved her when I let her use my Mac without my supervision.

"No no, you have to take off your bracelet! You'll scratch it! Ack, please! *cringe cringe*"

Lewisham on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the AIM subject above:

I installed the AIM app and was able to send out texts just fine. The problems with this are: the people need to know to send SMS messages back to your phone. Otherwise they go back to the AIM instant message window which shuts down when your phone goes into standby.

Works good for what it does though.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How are the speakers on the 3G? I had some crappy ones on my old 2G that you could maybe hear in a quiet room.

My goal is here is to kick my friend's w850i's ass. Any chance?

Bryse Eayo on
  • dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The new speakers are supposed to be a lot louder.

dodos on
  • Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably a stupid question...

Will I see that much performance difference between the 2.4 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz Dual Core Macbook Pros? My current system is a 2.4 Ghz one with a 256 MB Geforce graphic card and 2 GB of RAM (soon to be 4 GB). I'm currently having a bit of buyers remorse and thinking that maybe I should have gotten the 2.5 Ghz one.

Really, I'm just trying to get the most shelf life possible out of the MBP since they are expensive.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tw4win wrote: »

Will I see that much performance difference between the 2.4 Ghz and 2.5 Ghz Dual Core Macbook Pros? My current system is a 2.4 Ghz one with a 256 MB Geforce graphic card and 2 GB of RAM (soon to be 4 GB). I'm currently having a bit of buyers remorse and thinking that maybe I should have gotten the 2.5 Ghz one.

Really, I'm just trying to get the most shelf life possible out of the MBP since they are expensive.

You will never, ever, EVER notice a difference from a .1 GHz bump on the processor. EVER.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited July 2008

You will never, ever, EVER notice a difference from a .1 GHz bump on the processor. EVER.

That's what I figured. I'm just trying to reassure myself that the performance difference wasn't worth the price difference and that the MBP is going to last a long time, performance-wise. Hopefully longer than a windows based laptop.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Well, maybe on a Pentium 1 or 486 :)

ben0207 on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, [mac thread], I'm thinking about getting a new router. Does the Airport Extreme Basestation require any specialized software that might prevent either a Windows or Linux box from using it? Can I access and configure it through my browser like my trusty ol' linksys?

Thanks in advance.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, I'm having problems with my downloaded apps. The app store works fine, but when opening the apps themselves like AIM or NetNewsWire, it opens a blank app type screen for a second, then flashes off. Deleting and re-downloading didn't work either.

And if that wasn't enough, after the restore and re-sync, my videos say that they can't be played on the iPhone.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited July 2008
    You think you've got problems? I tihnk I've bricked my iPhone.

ben0207 on
    edited July 2008
    Regarding installing XP on an Intel based Mac...

1) One of my clients has a system where they can boot up in OS X but can access windows based applications (such as Outlook, etc...) without actually switching to a Windows desktop. I'm assuming that somewhere in the background windows is running. How would I set this up and which application (bootcamp, parallels, vmware) is best for this?

2) Assuming the above, how does the mac resolve font issues? Will it use windows fonts (installed in the windows OS) or mac fonts?

3) How much space should I allocate for a Windows installation? Assuming that I'm only going to be using "basic" windows applications (Office, Photoshop, Indesign, Quark, etc...). No games.

4) How much memory would you suggest for running Windows and OSX at the same time with 1 or 2 applications open in each? I currently have 2 gigs and can upgrade to 4.

5) Is is possible to installed a OEM version of windows on a Mac? I have a OEM version that came with my Dell. I'd like to use that (if it's legal) instead of buying another version of XP

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm having problems with my downloaded apps. The app store works fine, but when opening the apps themselves like AIM or NetNewsWire, it opens a blank app type screen for a second, then flashes off. Deleting and re-downloading didn't work either.

And if that wasn't enough, after the restore and re-sync, my videos say that they can't be played on the iPhone.

I'm in the same boat. My iTouch had problems with freezing before this, and now in addition to your problems half of my music isn't playing and my album art is showing up on random tracks. I'm so glad I paid $10 to make things worse.

Kreutz on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    So, [mac thread], I'm thinking about getting a new router. Does the Airport Extreme Basestation require any specialized software that might prevent either a Windows or Linux box from using it? Can I access and configure it through my browser like my trusty ol' linksys?

As far as I know, it works as a plain vanilla router, but with some extra whistles.

Echo on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The fuck.

The update is online. Some people are getting it through software update. If you're not patient enough to get it through software update get it here

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Regarding installing XP on an Intel based Mac...

1) One of my clients has a system where they can boot up in OS X but can access windows based applications (such as Outlook, etc...) without actually switching to a Windows desktop. I'm assuming that somewhere in the background windows is running. How would I set this up and which application (bootcamp, parallels, vmware) is best for this?

2) Assuming the above, how does the mac resolve font issues? Will it use windows fonts (installed in the windows OS) or mac fonts?

3) How much space should I allocate for a Windows installation? Assuming that I'm only going to be using "basic" windows applications (Office, Photoshop, Indesign, Quark, etc...). No games.

4) How much memory would you suggest for running Windows and OSX at the same time with 1 or 2 applications open in each? I currently have 2 gigs and can upgrade to 4.

5) Is is possible to installed a OEM version of windows on a Mac? I have a OEM version that came with my Dell. I'd like to use that (if it's legal) instead of buying another version of XP

1) VMWare, arguably. Try both Para and VMW and see which one is worth the coin to you (I went with VMW as Red Alert 2 ran nicely in it)

2) It's just a windows installation. So you'd have to install the fonts in both (which is simple enough, but annoying)

3) I'd personally go with 32 GB and keep it Fat 32 so the Mac side can read it without any funny business.

4) I used to run Photoshop CS2 in OS X whiöle playing Red Alert 2 in XP with only 1 GB, but 2 GB was even better. 2 is fine, but 4 is better (in other news water is wet and the sun is hot :P )

5) I don't know about the licensing agreement, but technically you're fine. I use my homespun XP custom without hitch.

ben0207 on
    edited July 2008
    My iPod Touch had issues with "crashing" back to the main menu at random when I would use Safari. Here's hoping 2.0 fixes that.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited July 2008
    Anything decent free for the iPod Touch before I go through 32 pages of Apps?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So my macbook won't boot at all. First it was stuck at the spinning circle, then after reboot I went into windows which worked fine but after rebooting once more I get nothing but a grey screen. I've put in the system disc and tried holding down just about every key (option, c, s, d, even resetting pram) but none of them elicit any response. Just a grey screen. One time I managed to get a pointer but nothing more.

This seems to be relevant, since I did just install itunes and quicktime updates, but...I dunno, it seems like a long shot since I can't even get to disk selection anymore.

Any ideas short of bringing it in?

Agentflit on
    edited July 2008
    Do we know how often new applications will appear on the app store? Is there a release schedule or just 'when they're done'?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is Monkey Ball supposed to be very hard to control, or do you get used to it? I'm having a hell of a time right now and am slightly worried that my accelerometer might be damaged.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "When Apple allows them to be sold on the App Store"

dodos on
    edited July 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. My iTouch had problems with freezing before this, and now in addition to your problems half of my music isn't playing and my album art is showing up on random tracks. I'm so glad I paid $10 to make things worse.

Update: I wiped my iTouch completely, and I've got apps working now. I'm pretty sure that one or more of my podcasts was causing things to go awry. The damned thing still freezes when it goes into standby, though.

Kreutz on
This discussion has been closed.