As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knife Crime, or how a short sharp shock is not the answer

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure law enforcement is consistantly terrible around the world.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty absurd. Let me clue you in on something: unless you're talking about quantity, there's basically nothing that a professional chef does that somebody, somewhere, probably me at some point, never does with home cooking. Just because you buy every meal from the frozen food section doesn't mean everyone should be required to. I mean, what the fuck.

What do you use the end of a huge knife for? I don't eat ready meals and I've never had to use the end of the kitchen knife in all my life. The only thing anyone else has mentioned is filleting, and I do that with a smaller knife since it's less clumsy.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, people only commit knife crime with huge knives. They wouldn't look at the other 13 knives there, they'd just walk away and say, "oh well."

Makes perfect sense to me.

wallaka on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Æthelred wrote: »
    What do you use the end of a huge knife for?

. . .

How experienced are you, exactly, when it comes to using the kitchen?

Be honest now.

ege02 on
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ege02 wrote: »

. . .

Be honest now.

I'll admit my ignorance here, but I can't think of a situation where I would require the point of a long knife and a short knife would be insufficient. Could you elaborate on a situation where the short knife would be insufficient?

Space Coyote on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

. . .

Be honest now.

I'll admit my ignorance here, but I can't think of a situation where I would require the point of a long knife and a short knife would be insufficient. Could you elaborate on a situation where the short knife would be insufficient?

Slicing or chopping something large and thick such as cabbage.

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

Surely you'd be using the blade for that, rather than the point?

Space Coyote on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can use a "chef's knife" stab into the middle of a head of cabbage and cut around. There's so many things I did throughout the years that would come as second nature and can't think of them though. But a poinltess chef's knife is... pointless

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2008

Surely you'd be using the blade for that, rather than the point?

No, you stab it first, then cut it from the inside. That's the easiest way.

Kind of like cutting someone's heart out, but significantly less gory.

ege02 on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All the "olol why not ban blunt instruments" posts are pretty sad.
    Why?

'cause every single person here agrees with the principle of banning certain weapons, yet mysteriously doesn't apply the same logic to their own cut-off point.

No, people aren't applying your logic. And I wouldn't say every person, because I am absolutely certain that someone doesn't agree with the principle at all.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can use a "chef's knife" stab into the middle of a head of cabbage and cut around. There's so many things I did throughout the years that would come as second nature and can't think of them though. But a poinltess chef's knife is... pointless

Seriously. It's not like restaurant kitchens are some kind of dark altar where chefs perform long lost rituals with their pointy knives. Pretty much anything a "chef" is doing in a restaurant kitchen with his nice pointy knife a normal dude cooking in his own kitchen will probably want to do eventually...unless all he's cooking is macaroni and cheese.

mcdermott on
  • Evil-PantsEvil-Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Demerdar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure law enforcement is consistantly terrible around the world.

I would like to remind you of the documentary, Fot Fuzz.

Discussion over.

Evil-Pants on
    edited July 2008
    You stab it first, then cut it from the inside. That's the easiest way.

Oh right, I've seen it done that way, but I've always just sliced from right to left and never had any problems.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    It's not like restaurant kitchens are some kind of dark altar where chefs perform long lost rituals with their pointy knives.

It's called saucery.

I'm so sorry.

Space Coyote on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First they came for our Guns
    and I did not speak out
    because I didn't own Guns.
    Then they came for our Knifes
    and I did not speak out
    because I didn't need my Knifes.
    Then they came for our Baseball Bats
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Baseball Player.
    Then they came for my shoes
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for my shoes.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You stab it first, then cut it from the inside. That's the easiest way.

Oh right, I've seen it done that way, but I've always just sliced from right to left and never had any problems.
    It's not like restaurant kitchens are some kind of dark altar where chefs perform long lost rituals with their pointy knives.

It's called saucery.

I'm so sorry.
    If I had a knife I'd stab you!

electricitylikesme on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Seriously. It's not like restaurant kitchens are some kind of dark altar where chefs perform long lost rituals with their pointy knives. Pretty much anything a "chef" is doing in a restaurant kitchen with his nice pointy knife a normal dude cooking in his own kitchen will probably want to do eventually...unless all he's cooking is macaroni and cheese.

I don't think it's about arcane techniques so much as speed. For a professional chef, who's probably going to have her fingers in several pies at once, having to stop to pick up a paring knife for one task could slow her down significantly. In your kitchen, do you really think it'll make a difference?

Here's the money shot, though: We don't actually have a pointed chef's knife at my parents' house, and it matters so little I didn't even remember until I started writing this post. Not by design, mind— we had a great one, but it disappeared under mysterious circumstances. My dad misses it, sure, but it actually hasn't affected his cooking at all.

The truth is that between the paring knife, the cleaver, and what I believe to be called a slicing knife, there isn't actually anything you can do better with a pointed chef's knife. I do sometimes wish we had a knife somewhere in between the slicing knife and the cleaver for some chopping tasks— wait a minute, that's a rounded-off chef's knife.

For the record, what I call the slicing knife is shaped more or less like a skinny, flattened chef's knife, but with a half-rounded tip, like on a bread knife. The point has more than enough oomph to, for example, stab a cabbage, but it can be pressed into skin pretty hard without drawing blood.

I know it sounds crazy, but when you actually put some thought into it the crazy thing is that it makes sense. A chef's knife might be the best multi-utility knife, but it a well-equipped kitchen that really shouldn't come into play.

And since we're talking about a well-equipped kitchen, before replacing the chef's knife I'd spring for a good pair of kitchen shears. Seriously, if you don't have a pair, try it out. Way more indispensable, not to mention safer.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just wait until those insufferable hoodies in the UK start running around with scissors and we'll have to ban them too. I'm telling you, if we don't watch out those hooligans will become ruffians.

Trevor on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    Just wait until those insufferable hoodies in the UK start running around with scissors and we'll have to ban them too. I'm telling you, if we don't watch out those hooligans will become ruffians.

Then the ruffians could become scallywags...

Mr Bubbles on
    edited July 2008
    It's a good thing that people only die from stab wounds, huh? Can't die from being slashed with a pointless knife. Baby Jesus won't let you die from that.

Does anybody seriously think that removing the point from a chef's knife will do anything other than aggravate people that cook? No, I don't use my chef's knife much. But when I do, the point is useful. And the smaller knives are much more concealable and just as deadly. Plus my can opener, ice pick, and scissors are all pointy. Dull can openers for everyone!

wallaka on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the thirties the tool of choice for Glasgow gangs was straight razors, which, as I'm sure you're aware, don't have points.

What they did have was the distinction of being the most commonly available bladed implement at the time. I don't think rounding the tips off kitchen knives is really going to accomplish much.

japan on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You can kill people with pretty much any object when applied properly and even banning knives doesn#t stop them getting them from home instead.

All the bans do is fuck over people like me who like to collect the things for display (Well not knives, samurai swords, but still). But as Trevor said, they can just as easily use scissors, or pens, razor blades or ya know, guns.

DarkWarrior on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can kill people with pretty much any object when applied properly and even banning knives doesn#t stop them getting them from home instead.

All the bans do is fuck over people like me who like to collect the things for display (Well not knives, samurai swords, but still). But as Trevor said, they can just as easily use scissors, or pens, razor blades or ya know, guns.

Yes but I'd think it's slightly easier to wound someone with a knife then it is with a scissors or a pen. Point is, people are getting stabbed more frequently. This isn't the solution, but I think it will help lower the amount of stabbings.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yes but I'd think it's slightly easier to wound someone with a knife then it is with a scissors or a pen. Point is, people are getting stabbed more frequently. This isn't the solution, but I think it will help lower the amount of stabbings.

I doubt it. Do we need to call in Mythbusters for this? Find out what amount of force is needed to create a fatal wound with a knife and then see how much damage a letter opener/scissors/pen does with that same force behind it? Get Grant to stab Buster with various tools to see which he can make fatal?

The idea that you somehow need a specific tool to kill someone when you are determined to kill them is a myth created by modern society to make us feel better.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited July 2008

But people aren't getting stabbed more frequently, they're getting stabbed less frequently. There just happens to be a good old fashioned media-fed moral panic going on.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes but I'd think it's slightly easier to wound someone with a knife then it is with a scissors or a pen. Point is, people are getting stabbed more frequently
    Are they really?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited July 2008
    Yes but I'd think it's slightly easier to wound someone with a knife then it is with a scissors or a pen.

The pen is mightier than the knife!

ege02 on
    edited July 2008
    Yes but I'd think it's slightly easier to wound someone with a knife then it is with a scissors or a pen.

The pen is mightier than the knife!

That sword ban in 1099 sure didn't work out well. And them days people were getting stabbed left, right and centre. We have it good nowadays.

DarkWarrior on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Two things:

-As mentioned, stabbings in the UK have been going down.
    -Its legal to own SWORDS in the UK. You just can't carry them around.

Phoenix-D on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Trevor wrote: »

Then the ruffians could become scallywags...

Before you know it there won't be a single dustbin left in Shaftesbury.

Man how are you going to outlaw knives? You can make like 10 usable shanks an hour with simple tools.

That's like trying to outlaw levers or pulleys.

And no, you can't just take the POINT off them as someone suggested - otherwise you couldn't stab someone with a crowbar or a standard screwdriver.

Clearly all "british legal" kitchen knives will need to have a large blunt bulb on the end.

JohnnyCache on
    edited July 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Two things:

Hasn't the law been changed so you can only get authentic, proper collectors swords, i.e. ones that are super expensive? Not saying I get those cheap things you find on ebay but I cant afford the high end stuff either.

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2008
    Clearly all "british legal" kitchen knives will need to have a large blunt bulb on the end.

Or an actual light bulb. It might give them a few real ideas as to how to fight knife crime.

ege02 on
    edited July 2008

Two things:

Hasn't the law been changed so you can only get authentic, proper collectors swords, i.e. ones that are super expensive? Not saying I get those cheap things you find on ebay but I cant afford the high end stuff either.

Wait, what? What if you make your own swords?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Two things:

Not to derail, but then why bother? Why do people like tacky 30$ katanas and 2-stone stainless steel Conan the barbarian reproductions? This is a decorative style I've never been able to understand. What is the philosophy here, is the idea that the cops will look at the katana first so you have a second to throw the bong out the window? I guess the non-vintage non-functional blade is my version of the velvet painting of jesus...

JohnnyCache on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    wallaka wrote: »
    It's a good thing that people only die from stab wounds, huh? Can't die from being slashed with a pointless knife. Baby Jesus won't let you die from that.

Technically, there is a reason why combat knives tend to be for stabbing. When you stab a person, you can hit a organ, killing quickly. When slashing, the person has to bleed to death, which is a major problem when your opponent is also armed.
    Raslin wrote: »
    First they came for our Guns
    and I did not speak out
    because I didn't own Guns.
    Then they came for our Knifes
    and I did not speak out
    because I didn't need my Knifes.
    Then they came for our Baseball Bats
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Baseball Player.
    Then they came for my shoes
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for my shoes.

Ah yes, the old slippery slope fallacy. I'd say that legalizing guns would lead to the legalization of shooting people as they run away, but I don't have to because we already know that Joe Horn was acquitted.

And isn't the la just that you can't carry them around in public places, which I take to mean parks and parliament?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not to derail, but then why bother? Why do people like tacky 30$ katanas and 2-stone stainless steel Conan the barbarian reproductions? This is a decorative style I've never been able to understand. What is the philosophy here, is the idea that the cops will look at the katana first so you have a second to throw the bong out the window? I guess the non-vintage non-functional blade is my version of the velvet painting of jesus...

Life size action figure accessory.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2008

Two things:

*shrugs*, the ones I have are nice. The ones you find on ebay are made of some naff material and are covered in gunk, I know because my cousin has loads. They're the £20 range. Mine are the £100-150 range, much better and they just look nice. Why do people have little pot statuettes and candles everywhere? I like the look of them but I can't afford an authentic folded-steel blade or anything. I bought a really nice one abroad but the rules had changed since i last went abroad so I had to ship it and it got turned back at customs. Proper nice one with a display stand but got fucked over because its a large, completely non-meant for killing knife. I mean the thing was huge and a tribal design with loads of spirals and such, its not something you'd hide in your pants.

So while I'm sure they meant well, it does fuck over people who aren't idiots. And in no way fucks over those who are and will just use other stuff. You can't behead someone with those ebay blades. They couldn't cut paper.

[/derail]

DarkWarrior on
    edited July 2008

Two things:

*shrugs*, the ones I have are nice. The ones you find on ebay are made of some naff material and are covered in gunk, I know because my cousin has loads. They're the £20 range. Mine are the £100-150 range, much better and they just look nice. Why do people have little pot statuettes and candles everywhere? I like the look of them but I can't afford an authentic folded-steel blade or anything. I bought a really nice one abroad but the rules had changed since i last went abroad so I had to ship it and it got turned back at customs. Proper nice one with a display stand but got fucked over because its a large, completely non-meant for killing knife. I mean the thing was huge and a tribal design with loads of spirals and such, its not something you'd hide in your pants.

So while I'm sure they meant well, it does fuck over people who aren't idiots. And in no way fucks over those who are and will just use other stuff. You can't behead someone with those ebay blades. They couldn't cut paper.

[/derail]

On the other hand, I could see them outlawed under the same precedent as Parmesan cheese made outside of Italy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited July 2008

Two things:

[/derail]

You actually CAN get functional blades for 150 of your earth pounds. Barely. Here's a good one. Quite handsome AND you could actually decrapitate your neighbor's barking poodle with it.

But seriously, I think a knife needs to be used in the martial arts or have real antiquity to be a "decoration"

I associate wall-hanger knives with the sort of person that owns gargoyles and may well be a wiccan of some sort. I think they should be banned on that basis, rather then functionality.

JohnnyCache on
    edited July 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

Technically, there is a reason why combat knives tend to be for stabbing. When you stab a person, you can hit a organ, killing quickly. When slashing, the person has to bleed to death, which is a major problem when your opponent is also armed.

That, and it's cheaper to make them with only a point. And that bayonets are by their nature stabbing weapons instead of slashing weapons. The Ka-Bar is generally kept razor sharp, though. Not just pointy.

wallaka on
    edited July 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

That, and it's cheaper to make them with only a point. And that bayonets are by their nature stabbing weapons instead of slashing weapons. The Ka-Bar is generally kept razor sharp, though. Not just pointy.

Emphasis added to keep the point. Also, the Ka-Bar is a multi-use knife, intended for utilitarian purposes, just like the other melee weapon, the entrenching tool.

On the other hand, the bayonet is most likely a stabbing design because the troops moved in tight lines, meaning that you should only really have to keep the bayonet pointing one way: straight in front of you.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]