As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Difficulties with re-repartitioning my Macbook Pro for Boot Camp (solved)

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So like, I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard. I also had a 15GB Windows partition, and a working installation of VMWare, too. Everything functioned normally. Today, I decided I wanted a larger Windows partition, so started Boot Camp Assistant and removed the Windows partition. Finder tells me I have 44.8GB free on my hard drive, and so I set the Windows partition to 22. I left it to analyze my drive for a while, only to have the application turn around and tell me "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." I googled around and read that some people were running into this problem re-partitioning after they had installed VMWare. Fair enough; I remove VMWare completely via AppCleaner. I reboot. This time, Boot Camp Assistant analyzes fine until the very end of the progress bar, where it gives me the same error message again.

Apparently, I have to solve this problem before I can install Windows on this computer again, and that's very important to me and my computing needs. I'm willing to reformat the whole laptop, but honestly I'd rather not. Has anyone run into this problem before? What gives?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Congrats! I ran into this problem SOOOOO many times.

Basically, what you have to do is back everything up and reinstall OSX. That's what I had to do.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Congrats! I ran into this problem SOOOOO many times.

Basically, what you have to do is back everything up and reinstall OSX. That's what I had to do.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

edit: It has been recommended that boot camp cannot allocate enough free space on the harddrive in one location to secure enough room for a new partition. I have read third-party Defragmenting applications can optimize space in ways the built-in application program cannot, so I'm giving iDefrag a shot. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll just reformat.

edit2: it appears I'd have to pay money if I want to reformat a drive larger than 100mb with iDefrag. Whatever. I'll mull over what to back up now, I guess. But before I do, has anyone else dealt with this problem? I'd feel more grounded in my decision if others have been forced to format, too.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i had this EXACT damn problem a month ago. first fix? reinstall osx. second fix? i bought a new imac anyway. woot.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
    edited July 2008
    So, I have reformatted. The dirty work is done. Leopard has been reinstalled, and I am restoring my precious data from a Time Machine backup.

NOW, however, the problem lies in reinstalling Windows in Boot Camp. I created a 25GB FAT32 partition using the Boot camp Assistant. I put in my XP CD, and it was verified intact. I reboot, I go through Windows Setup. I hit 'enter' on the 25Gb "BOOTCAMP" partition at the bottom, and watch the yellow progress bars. At the part where (I'm assuming) the computer reboots into the actual Windows installer, my computer reboots into the light grey Apple splash screen, where it spits out my CD. Shit. I have two options, apparently: watch the screen stay black for all eternity, or insert the disc again at this point and receive an error. By putting the CD back in and booting from CD, I simply get to go through the blue Windows Installer process over again. I've done it a couple times by now.

If I boot while Alt is held, I can see my Mac partition, my Windows partition, and the Windows CD as bootable options. Choosing either Windows option leads to the problems outlined above. If I boot back into Leopard, I see the BOOTCAMP drive on my desktop, so I know I have to be close, right? What could be my problem?

(reflecting back on it..... is a Windows installation supposed to eject the CD upon reboot? Is that the normal order of things? Did I just not wait long enough at the black screen?)

edit: I am attempting to format the partition using NTFS. Let's see if this works.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, don't use Fat32.

Azio on
    edited July 2008
    formatted ntfs. it works. shouldn't have given myself so much trouble. uuuurgh. apple shouldn't choose fat32 as their default.

this can be locked.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.