As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diablo III Offically Announced - The hype continues

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    Maybe they'd do it like the anime Berserk. If you haven't watched it, it starts out pretty bright and colorful, and then when the demonic forces arrive, the tone suddenly shifts to horror and the scenery turns into a blasted hellscape. It would make sense since the Prime Evils haven't been seen in the last 20 years, so it would create a nice contrast where you start colorful and then somewhere along the line, the color palette suddenly shifts because Diablo is back.

Yes, I think that would work, but like I said earlier, currently from what they've shown this isn’t the case. Areas filled with mobs are still more vibrant that previous installments.

But if this topic is making news, I'm sure Blizzard is fully aware by now. Hopefully they will revisit their color palette before the game goes Gold.

I hope they don't. Just to spite everyone that is spouting this pointless bitching. You honestly can't imagine that that's the only area in the game. On top of that, it wasn't exactly a technicolor fairy wonderland. Yes there was a rainbow in the mist. Yes, there was green and even a sort of blue in the color palate. I still thought it looked kind of lonely and desolate. You know, forbidding, zombies, ruins, fog, ancient biological siege engines. That sort of stuff.

captaink on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, so now they are complaining about how Diablo III is too "colourful" and started a fucking online petiton against it? This people, is the Battle.Net mob at their finest..

Silpheed on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe they'd do it like the anime Berserk. If you haven't watched it, it starts out pretty bright and colorful, and then when the demonic forces arrive, the tone suddenly shifts to horror and the scenery turns into a blasted hellscape. It would make sense since the Prime Evils haven't been seen in the last 20 years, so it would create a nice contrast where you start colorful and then somewhere along the line, the color palette suddenly shifts because Diablo is back.

Yes, I think that would work, but like I said earlier, currently from what they've shown this isn’t the case. Areas filled with mobs are still more vibrant that previous installments.

But if this topic is making news, I'm sure Blizzard is fully aware by now. Hopefully they will revisit their color palette before the game goes Gold.

Or you'll just have to deal with it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So colors are fine as long as they use the "right" colors. Which I assume means this:

No no no. He means the right place for colour. As in, fire engulfing a demon's body and charring it can have a toouch of yellow and red, but vegetation cannot. Because there's no such thing as colour in this world, unless it's killing people.

For 20 years of peace the lands of diablo experienced perpetual darkness, nothing grew, they left the world the way it should be, dark and brown. Little did our heroes of D2 know, that Diablo and Baal's master plan had been completed. They had managed to terraform the whole planet into a habitat suitable only for the hacking and the slashing. Gone are green blades of grass, gone is the ocean and the blue sky. Say goodbye to the seasons, no longer will you feel the spring rains or the fall leaves. No more.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Or you'll... what? Not buy it? Not play it as much? Bitch about it on the internet? Shake your fists at the sky and curse God for being born with the ability to see pastels?

Diablo I was dark and gritty, until you got to Hell. Diablo II was bright and shiny in all but the first and fourth acts. Seriously, was I the only one who remembers fighting technicolor cat-men who threw bottles of violently green and orange goo in my face?

Next we're going to hear all the people bitching about how the cow level shouldn't be implemented because 50+ Blizzard North employees saying "moo" is far too whimsical. The Diablo that exists in reality and the Diablo that exists in your mind are not the same thing. The game is likely years from being released, and Blizzard has probably the best track record of making quality products of anyone in the industry.

As for me? I think the game looks gorgeous, and it manages to do so without looking like it will require me to buy a new computer in order to play it. I'm ecstatic about what was shown in the gameplay trailer, and I'll be lining up on Day 1 to grab my copy. Hell, I fully expect there to be issues with the game that will result in a B.Net wipe of my character data at some point (there always is) but I won't care, because it will be that damn awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love being easy to please. Man, it's so awesome being me!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Or you'll... what? Not buy it? Not play it as much? Bitch about it on the internet? Shake your fists at the sky and curse God for being born with the ability to see pastels?

Diablo I was dark and gritty, until you got to Hell. Diablo II was bright and shiny in all but the first and fourth acts. Seriously, was I the only one who remembers fighting technicolor cat-men who threw bottles of violently green and orange goo in my face?

Next we're going to hear all the people bitching about how the cow level shouldn't be implemented because 50+ Blizzard North employees saying "moo" is far too whimsical. The Diablo that exists in reality and the Diablo that exists in your mind are not the same thing. The game is likely years from being released, and Blizzard has probably the best track record of making quality products of anyone in the industry.

As for me? I think the game looks gorgeous, and it manages to do so without looking like it will require me to buy a new computer in order to play it. I'm ecstatic about what was shown in the gameplay trailer, and I'll be lining up on Day 1 to grab my copy. Hell, I fully expect there to be issues with the game that will result in a B.Net wipe of my character data at some point (there always is) but I won't care, because it will be that damn awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love being easy to please. Man, it's so awesome being me!

Exactly, doesn't anyone remember what Baal runs looked like? Every room was a skittles commercial.

That added to the fact that Diablo 2 had some of the ugliest (well, the drabbest anyway...) environments I've ever seen in a game to date (except for Act 5; that act was more polished than the others) makes me ecstatic that they're going for visual diversity this time around.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seriously, if you fuckers (you know who I mean) somehow make Blizzard change Diablo 3 into some genericly coloured brown/grey shitfest, I'll be pissed
    Those guys got talent, that's why they're one of the most successful game companies on the planet.
    They also got the time, money and mindset to make games right, no matter how far they've come (Lord of the clans, ghost..)
    People writing online petitions though? They got nothin'

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Maybe I want a game that looks less like WC3 and WoW and more like the D2.

Maybe that’s why a petition has gone up, because there are people that feel the same way.

People that are probably way more into the Diablo series than some of you.

Maybe I want a 3D Diablo that feels more dark and demonic than GuildWars.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, during this pointless argument, did anyone see that Barbarian get his head ripped off?

That was FREAKING AWESOME.

I don't give a crap what kind of colors are in the damn game, as long as stuff like that keeps happening. :P

Verr on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    So I check in 75 pages later and it's still bitching about color.

Why do I even keep this thread around?

Echo on
  • deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Masochistic?

deadtear on
    edited July 2008
    Color is important! At least that's what my Art teacher told me.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

You know that button you have, the button that destroys the internet.

Now is the time good sir.

Now is the time.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A good time would have been when there was a petition against this game.

It's too late now.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Someone start a petition that says

"We of some sense and non-douchebaggery are against the fuckstick idiots trying to make us all stare at smeared mud and shit for the entire course of a game. We understand that the people actually hired, with talent and vision, are indeed more intelligent than the masses of inbred internet cum dumpsters, and should follow their own, already laid-out vision, of Diablo III. Unless of course they given in to the rabble. Then seriously....what the fuck guys? We conclude with the knowledge that these cock goblins give all of gamerdom a bad name and make the majority of us ashamed to have this hobby. In closing; fuck off you dipshits"

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Someone start a petition that says

"We of some sense and non-douchebaggery are against the fuckstick idiots trying to make us all stare at smeared mud and shit for the entire course of a game. We understand that the people actually hired, with talent and vision, are indeed more intelligent than the masses of inbred internet cum dumpsters, and should follow their own, already laid-out vision, of Diablo III. Unless of course they given in to the rabble. Then seriously....what the fuck guys? We conclude with the knowledge that these cock goblins give all of gamerdom a bad name and make the majority of us ashamed to have this hobby. In closing; fuck off you dipshits"
    :^: Classy

Zen Vulgarity on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This thread moves at a snail's pace when the game is being discussed in general. And then it picks up speed as soon as someone starts talking about THE COLORS DUKE, THE COLORS!

Sheesh.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Well most of the game discussion is on the 20 minutes of footage that leads half the people to criticize the tiniest thing, or half the people just want to see more.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    This thread moves at a snail's pace when the game is being discussed in general. And then it picks up speed as soon as someone starts talking about THE COLORS DUKE, THE COLORS!

Sheesh.

COLEUR!!!!!!!111111

Aegeri on
  • GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People are STILL wanting D3 to go through a shit filter?

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah. And they made a petition.

How funny. I bet more than half the people bitching about it can't dress themselves or be arsed to take a shower.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Uggh, couldn't they just potentially lower their gamma drastically and throw dirt on their screen and not shit up the game?

Gatsuioki on

edited July 2008
    People? You mean person, because it seems I'm the only one actively wanting to see Diablo 3 not turn out like WoW or as cheerfully colorful as GuildWars.

When you start up Diablo, the main menu is dark, the music is dark, and clicking on any menu makes "evilish" sounds. The game in nature is a dark, demonic game. Not a colorful world like WoW. Sorry that you all missed that part if and when you played past Diablo games.

There are plenty of other games out there that are rich in color, that fit that style. I don’t see why you people have to constantly "name call" on those that like to see the game portrayed differently than you. I'm not in here calling each one of you a douche bag or a making up names to fit your colorful lives.

Take Saving Private Ryan, and wash it up with a bunch of unrealistic colors for what is taking place. The movie would feel out of place and less believable.

I already stated that I could see how a colorful world that slowly moves to a dark and sinister one the farther you progress, but from what they've shown and the amount of mobs you face, looks like this isn't the concept, and the color pallet is just a vibrant one... much like WoW.

Or half of you are just WoW fans, never played a D2 game, and want your colorful game to carry over.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Dawww, calling us WoW fans is adorable.

Did you notice Act 3 had colors other than brown or gray?

You know, trees. Like the outside.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    Yea, DARK GREEN

edit - I'm not talking about taking out colors, I'm talking about TONE. Instead of Bright Green for trees, they need to use Dark Green

Anyways, I'm done debating this. It's nothing more than opinion vs opinion.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    And did you look at the pictures of it raining? It's dark. Real dark.

And you've only seen, like, parts of the game. People need to calm the fuck down with the speculation psychosis.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited July 2008
    Actually "insulting" if you will my D2(ness) is something I take offense to. I farmed SoJ's (FUCK YOU ANDARIEL) with my Hammerdin and left it for a while. Should probably log him in now.

Also, where are these WoW comparisons coming from? So they use COLOR! I've never seen a mob release a gutteral howl and implode into snakes and maggots. Never seen a mob come out and literally decapitate a character with their mouth.

The WoW comparisons, other than graphics are pretty baseless.

Gatsuioki on

edited July 2008
    Sorry that you all missed that part if and when you played past Diablo games.

You must have not seen all the things like purple fucking skeletons and other things in Diablo 2. There is nothing wrong with going to a 3d engine and making it actually look good.
    Or half of you are just WoW fans, never played a D2 game, and want your colorful game to carry over.

I hate WoW, but that's because I don't like MMORPGs and I like the way Diablo 2 looks. Better graphics, interesting looking locations, better animations, more varied creatures, more interactive environments and colours are seriously a problem?

Seriously?

Aegeri on
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri, make love to me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's a serious case of Fallout Syndrome coursing through this thread. Personally I think the game looks fantastic.

TVs_Frank on
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri, make love to me.

I'm as pedantic as the best of them, but there is something plain ridiculous about complaining about a far superior looking engine, environmental physics and character models on "colours".

Plus the art, design and everything else I can see will stand the test of time for a long while, unlike Diablo 2 which IMO, was fucking ugly on release (though LoD making it 800x600 helped a lot IMO).

Edit: BTW, my dislike of the general theme of Diablo II didn't stop me playing it :p

Aegeri on
    edited July 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    There's a serious case of Fallout Syndrome coursing through this thread. Personally I think the game looks fantastic.

There is a distinct difference to aborting many of the aspects that made the original games great and making what is, to me, a 90% faithful sequel that genuinely improves on aspects of the original games. Diablo III is the perfect example of how to do a sequel, it adds to the original games but we're not seeing, Diablo III the mindless First Person Shooter. We're seeing Diablo III, the same gameplay that made the original games great with improvements in a few areas and new mechanics.

Plus I must concede and perhaps this is stupid of me, but I have a degree of faith in Blizzard that they know what they are doing. I've liked just about every single game they've made, with the exception of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft. This is a fucking awesome record for a company and they deserve my trust.

Aegeri on
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

There is a distinct difference to aborting many of the aspects that made the original games great and making what is, to me, a 90% faithful sequel that genuinely improves on aspects of the original games. Diablo III is the perfect example of how to do a sequel, it adds to the original games but we're not seeing, Diablo III the mindless First Person Shooter. We're seeing Diablo III, the same gameplay that made the original games great with improvements in a few areas and new mechanics.

That doesn't matter though, because Blizzard isn't using dark colors and film grain over the game's landscape. M I RITE

Henroid on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sacred Gold was added to Steam for $10. Is it good?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited July 2008
    Diablo 2 Screen Shot, no editing.
    009po4.jpg

What Diablo 2 would look like if running brighter colors.
    d23tb2.jpg

Yet some how looking over these D3 screenshots, I'm just not feeling it.
    d3kv1.jpg

Maybe I'm just being too picky, I guess I could always adjust color settings on my card/monitor. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

Maybe I'm just being too picky, I guess I could always adjust color settings on my card/monitor. :P

:P

Gatsuioki on

edited July 2008
    2/3 screenshots look terrible as well.

You're not making a good argument.

Aegeri on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    When you start up Diablo, the main menu is dark, the music is dark, and clicking on any menu makes "evilish" sounds.

So are Geocities pages from 1995.

They even use the same spinning pentagram!

Echo on
    edited July 2008
    When you start up Diablo, the main menu is dark, the music is dark, and clicking on any menu makes "evilish" sounds.

So are Geocities pages from 1995.

They even use the same spinning pentagram!

Yea, but do they have the butcher? :winky:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That first Diablo picture sucks. I can barely see anything.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.