As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diablo III Offically Announced - The hype continues

1575859606163»

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    this thread will be won soon!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    this thread will be won soon!

Nobody really wins in a Diablo III colour debate.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    No i meant the last post before lock is coming :), isn't that rewardable? :P

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    Maybe they'd do it like the anime Berserk. If you haven't watched it, it starts out pretty bright and colorful, and then when the demonic forces arrive, the tone suddenly shifts to horror and the scenery turns into a blasted hellscape. It would make sense since the Prime Evils haven't been seen in the last 20 years, so it would create a nice contrast where you start colorful and then somewhere along the line, the color palette suddenly shifts because Diablo is back.

Yes, I think that would work, but like I said earlier, currently from what they've shown this isn’t the case. Areas filled with mobs are still more vibrant that previous installments.

But if this topic is making news, I'm sure Blizzard is fully aware by now. Hopefully they will revisit their color palette before the game goes Gold.

Or you'll... what? Not buy it? Not play it as much? Bitch about it on the internet? Shake your fists at the sky and curse God for being born with the ability to see pastels?

Diablo I was dark and gritty, until you got to Hell. Diablo II was bright and shiny in all but the first and fourth acts. Seriously, was I the only one who remembers fighting technicolor cat-men who threw bottles of violently green and orange goo in my face?

Next we're going to hear all the people bitching about how the cow level shouldn't be implemented because 50+ Blizzard North employees saying "moo" is far too whimsical. The Diablo that exists in reality and the Diablo that exists in your mind are not the same thing. The game is likely years from being released, and Blizzard has probably the best track record of making quality products of anyone in the industry.

As for me? I think the game looks gorgeous, and it manages to do so without looking like it will require me to buy a new computer in order to play it. I'm ecstatic about what was shown in the gameplay trailer, and I'll be lining up on Day 1 to grab my copy. Hell, I fully expect there to be issues with the game that will result in a B.Net wipe of my character data at some point (there always is) but I won't care, because it will be that damn awesome.

I guess what I'm saying is that I love being easy to please. Man, it's so awesome being me!

Maybe I want a game that looks less like WC3 and WoW and more like the D2.

Maybe that’s why a petition has gone up, because there are people that feel the same way.

People that are probably way more into the Diablo series than some of you.

Maybe I want a 3D Diablo that feels more dark and demonic than GuildWars.

Way more into Diablo than... Are you serious?

Look I have 3 Battlechest copies of the Diablo series. I paid money for a working maphack (say what you want about this, I didn't play ladder, nor did I do any duping/etc.; paying for an undetectable hack, in my mind, equates to a single-minded determination of someone who plays too much) back in the day for D2 so that I could color runes that dropped during my meph runs. I tweaked out a hammerdin and would spend 3-4 hours a night teleporting through the durance of hate to kill mephisto over and over again, by myself, in hell mode for unique items. I had multiple level 80+ characters. Two of my accounts were group accounts where other people would log in and run bosses while we were sleeping and vice versa.

I'll tell you this much, if you've played the game as much as I have, you should welcome interesting environments with OPEN ARMS given how drab, dark and ugly most of Diablo 2 was.

*Yes, I also played my fair share of Diablo 1, which had an even more limited palette, I know.

We've only seen shots of the FIRST dungeon! The FIRST one! It's no indication at all of the rest of the game. Remember the Diablo 2 beta, where we all ran around in blank, empty fields hunting for chipped gems because perfect gems were the de facto loot to have? They gave us ZERO indication of Acts 2, 3 or 4, beyond the fact that outside areas were going to suck, but honestly, it didn't matter, as long as there was loot dropping.

Remember when those same drab, lifeless, empty fields ended up comprising 70% of the first act of the game, without any changes whatsoever? From the looks of it, that's not a mistake they're going to repeat and for that reason, I'm embracing their current color palette. Only when you zoom into a shot and take it out of context does it look bright and weird. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that the foreboding blue bottomless pits in the level they played through, with undead scaling the very walls to overwhelm you, looked bad? Seriously?

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the "only true diablo fans dislike the games new look" maneuver. Yeah, you're not convincing anyone with that totally logical argument.

On a side note, I watched to gameplay video again just to make sure I wasn't actually watching a Saturday morning cartoon as I've been led to believe. When I noticed that the barbarians right side orb and the Witch doctors are different colors.

Furyandmana.jpg

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
    edited July 2008
    I love the "only true diablo fans dislike the games new look" maneuver. Yeah, you're not convincing anyone with that totally logical argument.

No true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.

Aegeri on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

On a side note, I watched to gameplay video again just to make sure I wasn't actually watching a Saturday morning cartoon as I've been led to believe. When I noticed that the barbarians right side orb and the Witch doctors are different colors.

Furyandmana.jpg

Barbarian uses "Stamina" or something, Witch Doctor uses "Mana".

Would be stupid to have a Barbarian use magic essence to make a really heavy blow or spin around.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    This thread moves at a snail's pace when the game is being discussed in general. And then it picks up speed as soon as someone starts talking about THE COLORS DUKE, THE COLORS!

Sheesh.
    I'm colorblind, kid.

But in all seriousness, has it occurred to the people bitching about "OMG DIABLO 3 IS COLORFUL WHAT THE HELL!?" that...well...maybe some of us LIKE seeing our character?
    Maybe some of us like the idea of being able to look at our screen and be able to tell what's going on?

On top of that, acts 2, 3 and 5 were fairly bright and/or colorful. Not to mention the latter half of act 1 and some parts of Hell in act 4 were pretty vibrant.

And it's not like for a game to be dark and gritty, it has to be literally dark and gritty. That's like saying the Wii isn't "true next gen" because it's games tend have more colors than gray, brown, and black.

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

Furyandmana.jpg

Would be stupid to have a Barbarian use magic essence to make a really heavy blow or spin around.
    I had noticed the different names when I made this before. I guess I just didn't notice the different orb color though.
    Diablo3skills.jpg

This also implys that Barbarians might not use an energy source that potions can't replenish. It's hard to tell since the gameplay demo is obviously being manipulated to give near instant recovery of both. It could be like a rogues energy in wow or something. Which would be interesting.

ParisInFlames on
    edited July 2008

Furyandmana.jpg

I had noticed the different names when I made this before. I guess I just didn't notice the different orb color though.
    Diablo3skills.jpg

This also implys that Barbarians might not use an energy source that potions can replenish. It's hard to tell since the gameplay demo is obviously being manipulated to give near instant recovery of both. It could be like a rogues energy in wow or something. Which would be interesting.

Well, maybe there are special Stamina potions? Like,Mana potions won't even drop when playing a Barbarian?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It looks like they're going the route of WoW's talent trees (i.e set number of tanks, rather than "Min/max it to get level 39 Frozen Orb")

The Muffin Man on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it seems Barbs use "Fury" to use their skills.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited July 2008

Furyandmana.jpg

Diablo3skills.jpg

This also implys that Barbarians might not use an energy source that potions can replenish. It's hard to tell since the gameplay demo is obviously being manipulated to give near instant recovery of both. It could be like a rogues energy in wow or something. Which would be interesting.

Well, maybe there are special Stamina potions? Like,Mana potions won't even drop when playing a Barbarian?
    Of course that's completely possible. But then you have to ask why not just use mana if it doesn't function differently.

ParisInFlames on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Because it just makes more sense for a Barbarian to use his stamina/fury/rage instead of mana since his skills are largely not magical.

But that does make me wonder, since that seems the case, I guess he wouldn't benefit from mana steal items

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Because it just makes more sense for a Barbarian to use his stamina/fury/rage instead of mana since his skills are largely not magical.

But that does make me wonder, since that seems the case, I guess he wouldn't benefit from mana steal items

Hmm, perhaps it changes based on context? Or perhaps it's a more generic "energy steal" which simply sucks the appropriate kind of energy from enemies.

I'm interested in whether there are more kinds of "mana". Perhaps "fervor" or "zeal" for a paladin? "Concentration" for an assassin?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We totally know the item stat system from Diablo 2 is going over to Diablo 3 as it was. Yep. 100%. Barbs are fucked because of mana steal.

Henroid on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys guys guys guys guys.

Mutants are allowed here. Quit discussing things like they weren't. OR I'LL CUT YOU.

On that note, I really should actually watch the gameplay trailer and stuff.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We totally know the item stat system from Diablo 2 is going over to Diablo 3 as it was. Yep. 100%. Barbs are fucked because of mana steal.

It might just mean there will be greater skill diversity (instead of WW, WW, WW, WW) and perhaps a more robust mana/fury/energy) management system.

And even then, there will be items and modifiers dealing with all the new stats (faster regen, etc.) so I wouldn't worry too much. If they take some dependency on mana steal away, that would just mean one less stat to stack (ie, one more damage modifier!).

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Hmm, perhaps it changes based on context? Or perhaps it's a more generic "energy steal" which simply sucks the appropriate kind of energy from enemies.

I'm interested in whether there are more kinds of "mana". Perhaps "fervor" or "zeal" for a paladin? "Concentration" for an assassin?

This would probably make things more interesting. It never made sense to me that Barbs used mana in D2. They're raging warriors, not mincing wizards.

Maybe they will work in different ways from mana too. Possibly like (here it comes) energy and rage in (oh no!) WoW.

captaink on
    edited July 2008

Man, what are you even talking about? Nobody said they were fucked, we were speculating on what they'll do. I had the same thoughts in mind as Behemoth. Maybe they won't even have "x steal" modifiers

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • NedoNedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    101 pages --- epic

Nedo on
    nedowan.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ragenergy

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2008
    diabloIII.jpg

Aegeri on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    fucking masterpiece

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited July 2008
    That Player character is way too colorful, this isn't Teletubbieland 3!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They can just generalize the suffix as "Energy steal".

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Furyandmana.jpg

like how in balder's gate my rouge had to use magic energy in order to shoot a really precise arrow or swing my axe.

Burden of Proof on
    edited July 2008
    First of all the barbarian did use "stupid" mana to deal a heavy blow or spin around. They've already said it's the same guy from 2 that's in 3.

I like the the idea of rage/fury/energy whatever more for a pure melee class, but I would not go as far as to say it would be stupid if he used mana.

I'm just interested to see if it is something that's constantly refreshing at fixed rate like energy in wow. Or if barbs will actually need to put points into energy. I really do hope skill points don't boil down to "enough to equip, then the rest in vitality" again.

ParisInFlames on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me. The shootings the knifings the beatings, old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks, teachers being thrown out of a fourth floor window because they don't give A's. That doesn't bother me a bit. Or this job either, having to wade through the scum of this city, being swept up by bigger and bigger waves of corruption, apathy and red tape. Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching blizzard put color in Diablo. Nobody, I mean nobody puts color in Diablo.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We have a new thread since this one hit 100. Use it. Don't abuse it. Like drugs. You fucking addicts.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.