As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exiles

Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, AlonsoRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
So, people here have been praising this comic for a long time, and since no one here has really steered me wrong as of yet, I picked up the first two trades a while back. Actually, it was last summer. Stuff happened and I went on deployment, didn't get around to reading them until yesterday when I happened to dig them up and had some time.

Dear God what a great comic. Thank you so fucking much to all of you who recommended this comic. I just got back from the store with Exiles trades 3-8 and I am just giddy with excitement.

So if there's anyone else living under a shed like me, and you haven't yet; go read the dang book.

Regina Fong on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really need to pick up the trades. I started with the book pretty early on, but I just lost track of it. I think I stopped reading around the time Magick join the team.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sadly this book turned to shit after Winnick left.

Funny how that usually works the other way around.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

When did he leave it? Hopefully he stuck with it a while, I am enjoying his writing. I also dug his Green Lantern run, so uh... maybe I'm a fan or something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was late into the Exiles, enjoyed most of it..but I had to stop with New Exiles. Terribad.

Ecko on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »

When did he leave it? Hopefully he stuck with it a while, I am enjoying his writing. I also dug his Green Lantern run, so uh... maybe I'm a fan or something.

He did issues #1-25 and 31-37

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Its weird because the issues 26-30 were done by Chuck Austen D:, but Issue 26 and 27 aren't horrible. Of course issues 28, 29, 30 were a cross-over with his Uncanny X-men, and they were pretty shit.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Its weird because the issues 26-30 were done by Chuck Austen D:, but Issue 26 and 27 aren't horrible. Of course issues 28, 29, 30 were a cross-over with his Uncanny X-men, and they were pretty shit.

That was during the whole Nurse Annie thing wasn't it?
    I remember thinking that X-Men had turned into a soap opera. More than usual.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    its better that we all forget Austen's run on Uncanny

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Winnick's run on Exiles was sweet. It almost redeems everything horrible he's done. Almost.

Read after that at your own risk.

Well...to be fair (spoiled just in case)
    the whole Proteus storyline isn't half-bad, but only because I think Longshot is the shit.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    MinkyUrungusMinkyUrungus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So are we just all denying the fact that the Exiles are currently so shitty that...Jeez.

I mean...I know, I know...Claremont is that guy, but I just can't stand the title anymore. It's cool that he's kept Morph on, but putting fan favorites (a.k.a. Claremont-favorites) Psylocke and Kitty on the team? It's a Kat from another dimension, yeah, but...man.

I want to formulate a HALF-way intelligent rant here, but I'm at work. I just HADTA say somethin' though.

Please...PLEASE...someone agree with me here 'cuz I'm getting to the point where I'm making myself believe that "New Exiles" is this cruel monthly visitor (my own male menstruation) that actually exists nowhere but within my own, apparently, masochistic mind.

(I have to add that for all my bitching I still buy it monthly...*shrug* Wuzza-wazza?)

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Uh have you read the thread?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was about to say..

Ecko on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoy it. It's just written so differently than the other titles I've read, been reading or still read for the last three years.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Exiles was one of my favorite books, had two of my favorite characters (AoA Blink and close-enough AoA Morph), but it's just been shit for a long time now. It's like when a TV series runs one season too long and all the big actors leave, so they try a season with an almost entirely new cast that just has none of the old appeal.

Except in this case it's not actors, so all the cast changes were a purposeful decision for some reason.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's obvious. Chris Claremont hates you all.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoy it. It's just written so differently than the other titles I've read, been reading or still read for the last three years.

You WOULD like this book. The art and the way its written....It instills great Rage in others...

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm sorry if I started something. I'm reading the comic from way back when, and it definitely hasn't gotten shitty yet.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It kinda sucked for a while, but its getting better again.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    It kinda sucked for a while, but its getting better again.

Really? How so?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dunno, I'm kinda enjoying the current arc.

Maybe my standards are just lowered enough now. But I do like Gambit and Mystique, and Morph is taking more of a leadership role again.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    OK well I finished the 8th TPB last night and I'm completely stumped as to why they would trade
    Nocturne, an outstanding character who was definitely one of my favorites for a fucking chicken-kin furry, and then kill off Magicyk (However the fuck it's spelled) who was a total cunt, only to replace her with a cunty version of Namor.
    Other than the poorly conceived cast changes, the writing was still pretty good though.

-edit-

Oh, but I forgot to say that the Blink vrs. Hyperion fight, and the way it ended with Gambit and everything was really, really awesome.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I felt the same about the Nocturne/Beak swap. I liked Noc a lot, but by the end of the run, Beak was a pesonal fave too. That's just me though.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Who are everyone's favorite Exiles? I love this series so I have lots of favs. (Spoilers up until latest issue)
    1. Blink. I fell in love with her way back in the Phalanx Covenant and then again in AoA when she got all confident and skilled. Exiles earns a spot in my all time favorite series simply because it gave her another chance to shine.
    2. Morph. I mean cmon. "Its the ^*$($in' Hulk! Everybody run!" Lols abound.
    3. Mimic. Interesting that my top three are the the ones with the longest membership. But Mimic is just neat for this type of story. I liked how he kept changing his powers as the series went on.

Least Favorites:
    1. Power Princess
    2. Spider-Man
    3. Longshot

The whole world tour thing sucked. None of these guys were ever appealing to me.

Honorable Mentions:(SPOILERS AGAIN!)

1. Magick-I thought it was neat having the usually subdued and innocent Illyana be such a beez.
    2. Namora-I liked her. Spiced things up and she was definitely more likeable than Magick.
    3. Sunfire-She showed up so suddenly, and even though she was technically the new girl for a long time she quickly became apart of the gang when she left, I was pretty upset.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My faves:
    Blink obviously. Nocturne was awesome. Beak was fantastic. Namorita was fun, although I get tired of the general "Hot girl who's really strong, but also happens to be psycho" stereotype.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Imperius Regina!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh i forgot Hyperion. One of the best villians I love to hate. Seriously. F that guy.
    He killed so many exiles/weapon-xers(i think that was the name of the alternate group)

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh i forgot Hyperion. One of the best villians I love to hate. Seriously. F that guy.
    He killed so many exiles/weapon-xers(i think that was the name of the alternate group)

Yeah, the alternate team was Weapon-X. The fact that he was such a hate-worthy villain made his death all the more satisfying.

Regina Fong on