As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Add me to that PS3 list.

xwonderboyx is me PSN.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Add me to the PS3 list as well please!

Between this, Bad Company and Civilization I think I can kiss my free time goodbye.

Bamelin on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I rented this from Gamefly and decided to keep it.

Great mindless fun.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now I'm going to have to stop playing other games and come back to this aren't I? Had a lot of fun with this on-line. Never was able to complete all the on-line challenges though as people would either be goofing off or drop out. PSN is also my name here if anyone wants to add me. If the wife doesn't want to play Rock Band all weekend I'll be loading this up and patching.

Bolthorn on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anyone wanna play burnout? ive got beers and i have a desire to drive exceptionally fast without risking property damage and grievous injury. plus isnt today the day you can unlock the olympus?

edit: apparently this weekend is not when you can get the olympus.

Ah_Pook on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been playing again lately but it seems like everybody in this thread is a PSThreetard.

any 360ians want to get taken down?

freakish light on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Lothars wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    I should get back into this.

I recommend that you do.

EDIT: Looks like Microsoft found some bugs in the 360 version of Cagney. Current working date for release is July 24th. The PS3 update is out now in Japan, and will go out 9AM GMT in all other regions. I've updated the OP.

That really sucks, I love how it's now gonna be 2 weeks late for 360, the joys of MS certification.

Ehm, if they found BUGS in the update and are now fixing them, I will gladly wait a few days.

Are you really telling me that them having found and now fixing bugs is a BAD thing? You would rather get a buggy update? Really?

Well it's Microsoft Certification, so even if it's a bug than it will be 6 months before we get the update.

I am in for playing on the 360, I can't wait for the update.

Lothars on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there any reason why there are no custom soundtracks on 360? Because except for a few songs that track list gets annoying fast.

Thetheroo on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Is there any reason why there are no custom soundtracks on 360? Because except for a few songs that track list gets annoying fast.

I thought it had custom soundtracks on the 360, I believe it's a requirement

Lothars on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, the Play Music button on the dashboard pop-out works well enough. It doesn't cover the game sound completely and you can adjust the volume.

freakish light on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does this version of Burnout still have rubber-banding opponents, or do they stay behind if you punk 'em now?

skippydumptruck on
    edited July 2008
    you can burn dudes bad if you know good shortcuts and plan a good route to wherever youre going. none of the heinous rubberbanding from say burnout 3 going on.

Ah_Pook on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, the Play Music button on the dashboard pop-out works well enough. It doesn't cover the game sound completely and you can adjust the volume.

That's the custom soundtrack capability built into all 360 games. In most games (if not all) it mutes the in-game music.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2008

That's the custom soundtrack capability built into all 360 games. In most games (if not all) it mutes the in-game music.

Yeah, it covers up the music, but it leaves the sound effects and the voice-overs (fuck you, DJ Atomika. Seriously, shut the fuck up. I know I lost that event. Asshole). The only difference between that and the in-game radio is that it keeps playing when you go to the Junkyard screen.

I think that's exactly what you'd want out of a custom soundtrack anyway, so it doesn't really make sense to complain about a lack of custom soundtracks when it's right there and it works.

freakish light on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah, it covers up the music, but it leaves the sound effects and the voice-overs (fuck you, DJ Atomika. Seriously, shut the fuck up. I know I lost that event. Asshole). The only difference between that and the in-game radio is that it keeps playing when you go to the Junkyard screen.

I think that's exactly what you'd want out of a custom soundtrack anyway, so it doesn't really make sense to complain about a lack of custom soundtracks when it's right there and it works.

Hmm, I did not know that. I'll have to set it up the next time I play.

Thetheroo on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My flatmate thinks I'm weird because I listen to the soothing sounds of Tracy Chapman while playing deathmatches. Fool is missing out on some serious Zen gameplay. ;-)

Also, I was disapointed to find out that the Cagney release was not today as I'd thought. Back to Gears of War, I guess.

Legba on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just picked this up last week for 20 pound, at first i thought i made a mistake....not anymore. Its a pretty damn fun game, and now i see there's a ton of content on the way for me :D.

I'm up for racing online anyway, 360 handle is on my sig.

Also I'm just going to throw in the mandatory complaint. No crash mode!?...Really?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • TruthslayerTruthslayer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Hmm, I did not know that. I'll have to set it up the next time I play.

I chimed in to add that, while the above is true, a couple of other people and I have noticed a couple of lacking features the OST has over the customs in this game. One: right bumper to skip tracks are disabled for customs, and two: no title display / artist info on popup.

OK, you say, but that's the nature of running music from the dashboard, right?

To that I would cite an example of another racing title that did feature those things for the customs. Released a while back for 360, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage by Bugbear Entertainment has what I mentioned. Although I understand if Criterion simply handed over all music controls to the dashboard rather than attempt to figure out how to control / display the customs, I'd like to see a little consistency.

Truthslayer on
    edited July 2008
    I chimed in to add that, while the above is true, a couple of other people and I have noticed a couple of lacking features the OST has over the customs in this game. One: right bumper to skip tracks are disabled for customs, and two: no title display / artist info on popup.

you can skip tracks on the ps3 version, i dunno about the 360 one though. true about the lack of artist/title popping up but i know all the music ive got on my ps3 so its not really a thing for me.

also getting the pcpd special is kicking my ass at the moment, ive been trying for the past hour or so.

Ah_Pook on
  • TruthslayerTruthslayer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My path on PCPD - take the right half of the freeway (proper direction) all the way over to the finish. I used near misses and mini-drifts to get burnouts and keep going.

As I said though, 360 version has its in-game song skip button disabled for custom soundtracks.

Truthslayer on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Look closely at any of the vehicles from Krieger.

Notice anything different in Cagney? I think a certain real-life automaker had some objections.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to see a little consistency.

There is consistency. You pointed out an exception. :P

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2008
    Not only can you skip tracks you don't like (right bumper on the Xbox version), but in the settings you can exclude any songs you don't like from the playlist. It's only a shame you can't mix and match the included songs with songs you have ripped to your Xbox.

Legba on
    edited July 2008
    My path on PCPD - take the right half of the freeway (proper direction) all the way over to the finish. I used near misses and mini-drifts to get burnouts and keep going.

i finally got it. i went oncoming the entire way to keep the burnouts coming and jumped up out of the underground on that one superjump ramp, for added fanciness. you just cant crash at all, which is hard when a stiff gust of wind will wreck the wtr.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    In case it hasn't been noted, it looks like Cagney comes out on the 24th for us 360 owners.

http://www.criteriongames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=929
    Burnout Paradise v1.3 - Cagney (PS3: July 10th, 2008, released. Xbox 360: July 24th, 2008, bugs found)

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • PlacerPlacer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In case it hasn't been noted, it looks like Cagney comes out on the 24th for us 360 owners.

Burnout Paradise v1.3 - Cagney (PS3: July 10th, 2008, released. Xbox 360: July 24th, 2008, bugs found)

It's in the title, sherlock.

Placer on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Placer wrote: »

I think I put it in the OP when it was changed to the 24th, but it might still say the 14th. I'll check and change it if that's the case.

e: Yeah oops, it still said 14th.

Does anyone fancy jumping on the 360 version now for some challenges or something?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited July 2008
    Placer wrote: »

Feel free to insert your foot into your mouth.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Does anyone fancy jumping on the 360 version now for some challenges or something?

I'll be off and on for a while this week and next, I just got my "A" Licence, so I've got lots to do in single player still.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
    edited July 2008
    What's the best way to determine what events you've completed or still have yet to complete?

At this point, I am crawling through intersections looking for some indication on the HUD.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2008
    What's the best way to determine what events you've completed or still have yet to complete?

At this point, I am crawling through intersections looking for some indication on the HUD.

Go to the map screen, and you can filter out different types of races, find the burning routes for certain cars, see the starts and finishes for each race, and see which ones you've completed. There will be a checkmark on the icon.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
    edited July 2008
    oh man i just got the carbon x12 and it is ruling my face. anyone hit me up if they see me online, im usually down for some races or challenges or whatever.

also sidenote: if you play multiplayer games GET A MIC. everything is so much better if you have a mic.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    No news on whether the 360 patch drops tomorrow, and it's 10pm GMT, so I guess it isn't. Which is a shame.

Willeth on
    edited July 2008
    Thats too bad, I've been on a roll this last week completing races and upgrading licences, Im 20 wins from my Burnout licence.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
    edited July 2008
    Thats too bad, I've been on a roll this last week completing races and upgrading licences, Im 20 wins from my Burnout licence.

Nice one. Make sure you grab at least 20 challenges as well for 101% and your platinum cars.

Willeth on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How much is this game now? I remember liking the demo but never getting it.
    If it's >$30 I'll nab it.

Local H Jay on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How much is this game now? I remember liking the demo but never getting it.
    If it's >$30 I'll nab it.

$60 > 30. :P

Srsly though, it looks like MSRP is currently $40 as that's what I've seen it for most places. Used, you should have no trouble scoring it for thirty.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry I am waayyy too high for equals than and less thann.
    But cool I will get it this weekend.

Local H Jay on
    edited July 2008
    man ive been so addicted to this game anew since cagney came out. im up to 75 hrs of playtime, which is a record for a non rpg for me i think. only got 4 events left (all stunt runs... god i hate stunt runs) and 2 achievement things (20 burnout chain, 40x multiplier in a stunt run). i about blinded myself trying for the 20 burnout chain last night. also almost broke a controller when i crashed out on 17.

online marked man is stupidly fun. it can get lame if someone is all the way across the map from everyone else, but if you try to stay in the same area its awesome. i dont really like how they implemented online road rages, but they can have moments.

final note: ps3 dudes GET ONLINE. we need to get some PA games going with more than like 2 people. :)

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    It's the 24th and no Cagney.

Man, I was really looking forward to it, too.

Oh well.

Legba on