As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dreamcast Interest

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zubisman wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    thread needs more mars matrix and Zero gunner 2. Border Down too.

[spoiler:8594f81186]Psyvariar II and Bangai O aswell whilst I'm here[/spoiler:8594f81186]

and ikaruga goes without saying

I bought a compilation on eBay that had Zero Gunner 2, Border Down, Psyvariar II and Ikaruga on it. Turns out it's some sort of homebrew compilation, but the games are all there, and damn it's fun!
    well, its not homebrew, its a pirate copy. But bloody hell, if I had to pick one disc of games, and that was all I was ever allowed to play, that would be it. I would just be gutted thatI was missing out on mars matrix.

Shit, all those fit on one CD! :o

LewieP on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Robo Beat wrote:
    I don't think Space Channel 5 gets nearly enough love. I liked that game.

The sequel's just as awesome(if not more so).

It's a real shame it never officially came stateside. Its not like I really knew what was going on in the first one, but the second one wasn't helping me out at all.

Er, yes it did. The Space Channel 5 Special Edition came out for the PS2: with both the original and the sequel.

I think this goes without saying, but : go get it right now.

Up Down Chu Chu Chu!

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm just going to post all my custom Dreamcast DVD cases because I'm a whore.

rez.jpg

Unrealtournament.jpg

halflife.jpg

jetgrindradioweb.jpg

crazytaxiweb.jpg

Ikaruga.jpg

Oh, and if you're looking for the full resolution DVD covers, they're in a GMail account with this info:

user: cover.project.paforums
    pass: pennyarcadewang

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Those are beautiful.

Sadly, almost all of them look nicer than the officials.

Have you worked any of that magic for Shenmue?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Those are beautiful.

I was seriously considering it, but I'd need to find out the exact dimensions for a slip cover for a four DVD case. I'll see what I can do though.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have 63 Dreamcast games.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Those are beautiful.

I was seriously considering it, but I'd need to find out the exact dimensions for a slip cover for a four DVD case. I'll see what I can do though.

if you are taking requests, any of these would be awesome
    mars matrix
    Zero gunner 2
    Border Down
    Psyvariar II
    Bangai O

obviously I don't expect you to do all of them, but those are my favorite games, and the ones I get my DC out for most often (those and Rez + Ikaruga)

LewieP on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have like... 32 DC games, or something. I'm a sucker for the original packaging though, not to mention I'd never have room for 32 more DVD cases.

I even imported Shenmue II DC [UK] rather than touch the XB version.
    So glad I did.

I also hear Microsoft's dub was horrifying.
    (Which sucks, because I liked the original's.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Robo Beat wrote:

It's a real shame it never officially came stateside. Its not like I really knew what was going on in the first one, but the second one wasn't helping me out at all.

Er, yes it did. The Space Channel 5 Special Edition came out for the PS2: with both the original and the sequel.

I meant Part 2 didn't come out for the Dreamcast on our shores. The other systems got a lot of shit from the DC, so I generally don't count those. I'm a DC guy, so that's what I count.

But yeah...I have a PS2 as well. I'll go get SC5: SE in the morning.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Robo Beat wrote:

I meant Part 2 didn't come out for the Dreamcast on our shores. The other systems got a lot of shit from the DC, so I generally don't count those. I'm a DC guy, so that's what I count.

Yeah, I felt the same way... but when I heard Part 2 was coming out, I didn't care what system it was for. It was worth the wait.

I even got it for $30 when I easily could've gotten it for $15 at a different store, simply because I couldn't wait to play it.

SC5p2's a religious experience.

It even has Michael Jackson. Again. And the coolest group of villains ever assembled for any music game ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have a shitload of DC games...somewhere in the 80s. Sadly, about half of them are *cough* pirated *cough* which makes me feel like a dick. However, I BOUGHT them from people or got them along with the DCs that I've bought, so I didn't do the heinous deed myself.
    I also have some burned unreleased and homebrew games. Half-Life, Propeller Arena (yanked cause of 9/11, I hear) for the unreleased, and then I have a load of homebrews on 2 disks. Alice Dreams comes to my mind first. It's really fun, though the voice acting isn't exactly the best.
    I have every fighting game made for the Dreamcast, save for Street Fighter III: Double Impact. I can't find it anywhere! JoJo's Bizarre adventure is SO fucking trippy! I get a lot of puzzle games (BustaMove4, Super Puzzle Fighter, PuyoPuyo, homebrew tetris) so my girlfriend will play with me. She loves those games, and I think they're a lot of fun too. ChuChu Rocket had me staying up for over 48 hours. I almost had to call in sick to work because of lack of sleep. I came home from work that day, exhausted, ready to fall into bed, but instead I turned on the DC and played another 6 hours of ChuChu Rocket. I'm tellin ya, MICE IN SPACESHIPS!
    I bought Mortal Kombat Gold for my roommate because a) He didn't understand my obsession with the DC and b) He's an MK addict. Turns out GOLD beats the shit out of the other ports of Mortal Kombat 4.
    Unreal Tournament had a really weird control scheme. I got used to it, though, and now I have trouble playing FPSs on other systems.

The best homebrews are the Beats of Rage games. It's an open source Streets of Rage clone. There's a Battletoads version of it, and I spent quite a few hours with my friends beating that one. It's ridiculously hard in parts, but it's otherwise a lot like the SNES game. Homebrews can be a lot of fun, especially when they're done right.

Btw, I don't condone piracy, it just turns out that a lot of games I bought were pirated copies. I'd much rather have shelled out a little extra for the full copies but I was ignorant of what the games would be until I'd already handed over my cash.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My favorite DC fighters are Project Justice(3d) and Last Blade 2(2d). Both have great stories and design.

Especially Last Blade 2 design-wise. That game is visual poetry.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've spent the last few hours playing Ikaruga, and... I've never felt so pissed at a game before. So I set the game on the shelf and started to play more of Skies of Arcadia...And about fifteen minutes later, I'm back playing Ikaruga again.

God I love the Dreamcast. Even if it does beat the shit out of me every time I turn the damn thing on.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wish there was a way to resurrect Seganet. Bomberman Online hardly ever gets old.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    I wish there was a way to resurrect Seganet. Bomberman Online hardly ever gets old.

PSO servers are up right now. Sadly, there's no ChuChu Rocket, Bomberman Online, Unreal Tournament, or [insert sports game here]. Course, I can't find a goddamn broadband adaptor, so it wouldn't matter much to me anyway.

zubisman on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ya know, Elemental Gimmick Gear is kind of a neat game. I should finish it someday.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ya know, Elemental Gimmick Gear is kind of a neat game. I should finish it someday.
    Yay for EGG!

It's charming, and kinda feels like Zelda!

zubisman on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Took me a while to find this info, but you might be interested in it:
    4 Players Simultaneously:
    AeroWings
    Armada
    Boku No Tennis Jinsei (JP)
    Bomberman Online
    Caesars Palace 2000
    Championship Surfer
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Cool Herders
    Dead or Alive 2
    ECW Anarchy Rulz
    ECW Revolution
    ESPN International Track and Field
    ESPN NBA 2Night
    Fur Fighters
    Gauntlet Legends
    Giga Wing 2
    Golf Shiyouyo (JP)
    Golf Shiyouyo 2 (JP)
    Inhabitants
    Le Mans 24h
    Looney Tunes Space Race
    Magforce Racing
    Marvel Vs Capcom
    Maximum Pool
    NBA 2k, 2k1, 2k2
    NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
    Net De Tennis (JP)
    NFL 2k, 2k1, 2k2
    NFL Blitz (2000)
    NFL Quarterback Club 2000
    NFL Quarterback Club 2001
    NHL 2k, 2k1, 2k2
    Ooga Booga
    Outtrigger
    Pen Pen Tricelon
    Power Stone 2
    Project Justice 2000
    Propeller Arena (Bootleg)
    Quake III: Arena
    Red Dog
    Re-Volt
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
    Slave Zero
    Sonic Shuffle
    South Park Rally
    South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
    Spawn: In The Demons Hand
    Star Wars: Demolition
    SWWS Euro 2000 Edition
    Sydney 2000
    Tee Off 2000
    Toy Commander
    Toy Racer
    Treasure Strike (JP)
    UEFA Dream Soccer
    UEFA Striker
    Unreal Tournament
    Vigilante 8: Second Offense
    Virtua Athlete 2K
    Virtua Tennis
    Virtua Tennis 2
    V-Rally 2
    Wacky Races
    Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour
    Worms Armageddon
    Worms World Party
    WWF Attitude
    WWF Royal Rumble

Of those you absolutely 100% MUST own Virtua Tennis and Chu Chu Rocket. Bomberman 4-player is super crazy fun as well if you love super crazy fun.

We've just been getting into Armada since I found it at my local store. It's very very fun. It's like a 4-player gaunlet legends that plays like classic asteroids mixed with a little bit of shmup. It's hard to explain, but it's very fun once you learn how to play (we play commando, no instruction book reading, it's more fun that way). :P

Virtua Athlete 2k is possibly one of the worst rated DC games ever, and I completely agree. Until you get 4 people playing it in a room. And people have been drinking. Then it magically transforms into a fucking hilarious game. Get it on the cheap if you have friends.

I found my Dreamcast at a second-hand store a few years back. Got it, 5 controllers, a keyboard, and 5 VMUs for like $65. Sadly I think I'll be needing a new DC soon as we've put some serious mileage on it. Probably more than any other system I've ever owned.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is there anywhere online where I can snag a copy of Tech Romancer for less than $30?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm just going to post all my custom Dreamcast DVD cases because I'm a whore.

Oh, and if you're looking for the full resolution DVD covers, they're in a GMail account with this info:

user: cover.project.paforums
    pass: pennyarcadewang

That is most certainly pure win + awesome, and all that. Kudos to you!

I have to track down some of the newer releases for the DC, but I have pretty much every DC game save for all the various sports titles (I could care less). Man I do miss my SegaNet though, it would be sweet to play Alien Front online once more.

My recommendations are probably nothing people haven't mentioned in about 15 other DC threads, suffice it to say get everything and save yourself the trouble. You could probably skip the Hentai games though...they aren't anything you wont find on the PC. Oh...and skip the Evangelion games too.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've always meant to get a DC........however I plan to buy a 360v2 and PSTwo this year, to go along with my already growing backlog on the Wii and DS....so I don't see it happening :? :|

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am considering buying a Dreamcast with 2 controllers and 2 VMUs online, because mine broke. He's selling it with 10 games (Jet Set Radio, SA1+2, already own 2, Shadow Man, Expendable, Tomb Raider: TLR, Chicken Run, Floigan Brothers, MDK2(already own) and Sega Extreme Sports). for 80 euros. Worth it? Someone tell me to do it/not do it, quick, I'm going crazy! I was keeping my money in my pocket for a Wii, but I fear I won't be able to get one for like a month or so anyway, by then I'll have more money anyways. Do it, yes/no?

Noray on
  • Options
    mcmonkeymcmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd just like to point out that the DC is still playable online, Pal PSO is prolly my fave' of the ones that are still up.

mcmonkey on
  • Options
    ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This doesn't look like a PAX BYOC thread!

ElSantos on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How does the Dreamcast look on a HD tv?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love my Dreamcast, still have it hooked up to my bigscreen and just recently bought a new game for it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited February 2010
    If you got to this thread looking for PAX BYOC, this is the one you're looking for:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=109946

The last number got cut off somehow. =(

David Coffman on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have an import copy of Ikaruga that I don't know what to do with, because I no longer have a DC. I just play it on Live Arcade.

The last time I tried to sell it, the buyer was from Italy and had a bunch of questions I didn't know how to answer.

I hate ebay.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had some good memories of playing PSO off the MODEM when it came out!!!

That is until all the hacks started and then it was ruined.

I picked up Aerowings 2 for DC last week and its a great simulator, Skies of Arcadia is still very playable too!

phishstik on
  • Options
    johnnythefifthjohnnythefifth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    get it and play phantasy star online, that game was great

johnnythefifth on
    The enemy's gate is always down!
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Really fucking great with the help of a cheap VGA adapter off ebay. Looks better than my PS2 that's hooked up via component video.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have a spare dreamcast with a controller, standard video cable, and power cable that I've been looking to give to a better home than my closet.

I should give my other DC more attention. I still think Soul Calibur looks better than some current gen games. It's incredible, really.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really need to get a new Dreamcast, the disc drive in mine broke, after I went and cleaned the power board so that it would turn on. Maybe I didn't connect the disc drive back correctly?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Pretty decent. Name a game and we'll see if I have it and I'll snap a picture of it on my TV via VGA.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I have like... 32 DC games, or something. I'm a sucker for the original packaging though, not to mention I'd never have room for 32 more DVD cases.

I even imported Shenmue II DC [UK] rather than touch the XB version.
    So glad I did.

I also hear Microsoft's dub was horrifying.
    (Which sucks, because I liked the original's.)

way, way worse than the original's dub. they didn't even bother making it lip sync.

here's a video of the original. IMHO there has never been a more immersive/atmospheric game in the 10 years since this came out. Not even Shenmue II is as atmospheric as the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8fp98cE4Q&feature=related

Sam on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you happen to find a game called Grandia 2 I suggest you get it. Its a worth while RPG.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Riokenn wrote: »
    If you happen to find a game called Grandia 2 I suggest you get it. Its a worth while RPG.

Yeah, a really great battle system, similar to Final Fantasy 10.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think Shenmue II Xbox is worth it just for Shenmue: The Movie alone.
    Vegan wrote: »

That's one game I should really get into. I bought it but it lays there unplayed.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think Shenmue II Xbox is worth it just for Shenmue: The Movie alone.

That's one game I should really get into. I bought it but it lays there unplayed.

It's about Darkness.

And Light.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wait wait wait. FFX has a combat system that is similar to Grandia? Like, how similar?

Dirty on