As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just downloaded this with 3 friends and we are having a blast. This is without a doubt the best free MMO out there, that doesnt spam buy mystuff ingame to you. Its translation is horrible but it hardly ever hurts you.(that i have seen) The registration was easy, my friends never had to click any acitvation emails to log in.

Step by step

1. Download the client
    2. Install
    3. go to the perfect world website and setup a account.
    4. go to the cubigold site and log in, go to game activation, click perfect world
    5. start perfect world download any patches, you are good to go.

This is a really fun game recomend trying it out.

Laonar on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You are right it is fun, but my favorite class is a caster, and ever 3 or 4 fights I found myself sitting on my ass waiting for mana to come back. I would fight, find a safe place, sit, alt-tab for 5 to 10 minutes, go back in and kill for 2 or 3 minutes and then back to a safe place.

Seg on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    You are right it is fun, but my favorite class is a caster, and ever 3 or 4 fights I found myself sitting on my ass waiting for mana to come back. I would fight, find a safe place, sit, alt-tab for 5 to 10 minutes, go back in and kill for 2 or 3 minutes and then back to a safe place.

Yep, it was a boring wait. I found myself dying a lot because I simply didn't want to wait, I'd risk it and do just one more fight, and I'd die.

If mana regen was sped up about 50x it's be a great game.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Entaru wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »

Yep, it was a boring wait. I found myself dying a lot because I simply didn't want to wait, I'd risk it and do just one more fight, and I'd die.

If mana regen was sped up about 50x it's be a great game.

Actually reducing the cost of mana potions by a very large amount would be an improvement.

Seg on
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, is the PA guild still alive?
    If it is I'll try to contact someone from the OP, if not, any suggestions of a guild that isn't full of douchefaggotry.

Lost on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lost wrote: »
    So, is the PA guild still alive?
    If it is I'll try to contact someone from the OP, if not, any suggestions of a guild that isn't full of douchefaggotry.
    McKenzie plays every now and then...but not much. I don't know any other guilds that are English and not completely retarded.

Aldo on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My guild on the O server(forget exact name) is called Glory. Contact Kittypup, amyz, eleusia or myself Lealia to get in. There are about 15 pretty active people and real friendly.

Laonar on
  • Options
    duonguyenduonguyen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i still play as duonguyen lvl 23 on delta

duonguyen on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ooh I'ma try this perfect world thing

MMOs don't usually hold my attention

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    ooh I'ma try this perfect world thing

MMOs don't usually hold my attention
    I'm sorry to say, but the guild is mostly inactive. It's still fun to solo, though. And bumming around the beautiful landscape is worth something as well.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really wanna try this but I keep giving up waiting for the site to load.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm getting this right now, might try to get into it with a friend. Is it still fun?

Zilart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    I'm getting this right now, might try to get into it with a friend. Is it still fun?
    It is.

There's nothing wrong with the game, it just gets boring after a while.

Aldo on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So any clues on making the main site work? I cant seem to get it to load so I can register.

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    omega71 wrote: »
    So any clues on making the main site work? I cant seem to get it to load so I can register.
    Hmm, some other people have had problems with connecting to their website and servers before, I lack the technical knowledge to understand what's going on. I guess the tubes are clogged?

The sites works for me, although it loads rather slowly.

Aldo on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got it working, it just took forever and a day..

I just logged on to the game and already I am disliking the click click click system, but everything else is pretty spiffy so far.. I will have to definitely play this a bit more..

I do know that there is wasd controls, but is there any way to map the wasd to say the arrows? I am on a laptop and lefthanded all at the same time, so mouse goes left hand and arrow keys are perfect for my right hand ala the way I move around in WoW..

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, I can't remember. If there is it should be in the options, but I doubt it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Took me two days to patch up and then my registration didn't work. I tried to set up a new one and it didn't work either. I'm currently uninstalling the game. Maybe it works better for someone who from wherever the game is from

Hembot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    Took me two days to patch up and then my registration didn't work. I tried to set up a new one and it didn't work either. I'm currently uninstalling the game. Maybe it works better for someone who from wherever the game is from
    Malaysia. And that sucks, I guess the game grew out of control for them. :|

Aldo on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah it looks like a cool game. Best of luck to those who get to play it!

Hembot on
  • Options
    steinstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It says server time is 7:44AM and that maintenance is 11AM to 12PM. So why is it telling me the server is under maintenance when I try to log in?

Edit: Nevermind I suck.

Can you even edit male werebeast appearance?

stein on
    87af68d811b8f3edc84e713129ee2590.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    stein wrote: »
    It says server time is 7:44AM and that maintenance is 11AM to 12PM. So why is it telling me the server is under maintenance when I try to log in?

Edit: Nevermind I suck.

Can you even edit male werebeast appearance?
    nope :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So are Foxgirls still ridiculously over-powered in this game? I played for awhile and was in the guild... had some good times but yeah, the game got old real quick.

Just thought I'd check back to see what's changed. :)

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to try this, if it doesn't hold my attention for long I guess I'll be going back to EQ2... Let's hope for my now tight game fund that this is fun.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    JamesDM wrote: »
    I'm going to try this, if it doesn't hold my attention for long I guess I'll be going back to EQ2... Let's hope for my now tight game fund that this is fun.
    Otherwise there's enough other free games to hold your attention. Check my list (see sig) if you want to stay in the MMO segment, otherwise there's a lot of other stuff out there.

Aldo on
  • Options
    WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Am I the only one who finds the amount of info required to sign in disturbing? Honestly I quit when they asked for passport/id number. I could con my parents into putting in their info, I guess, but they probably wouldn't go for that....

WarWolf95 on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WarWolf95 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the amount of info required to sign in disturbing? Honestly I quit when they asked for passport/id number. I could con my parents into putting in their info, I guess, but they probably wouldn't go for that....

my ID number is 2

learn to internet

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    WarWolf95 wrote: »
    You don't have to put in a real passport number. It's only for Malaysians who want to win in-game prizes.

Yes, they should have told you that, yes this is not the only time you'll stop and wonder why the hell the game doesn't tell you how something goes.

Aldo on
  • Options
    WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    thank you all.
    See you online!

WarWolf95 on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Otherwise there's enough other free games to hold your attention. Check my list (see sig) if you want to stay in the MMO segment, otherwise there's a lot of other stuff out there.

Yeah, I know... I used to do mini-reviews for the thread until me PC ate shit and I lost 2 or 3 reviews that took hours to research and write. D:. Lately I've been adventuring back into the MMO world finding out what MMO's work on my laptop and what do not.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh geez, I forgot. >_< A shame about those reviews, yours were very nice.

Aldo on
  • Options
    steinstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't find a site that documents skills and such, so I'll ask you guys.

Do werebeasts only get the ability to change into a tiger or are there more forms later? Just ruins it for me if my panda has to turn into a tiger.

stein on
    87af68d811b8f3edc84e713129ee2590.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Game has gone gold.

They say they only needed a small patch because most big things had been fixed already. This makes me rise an eyebrow, but whatever. I'll be playing some tonight to see if anything obvious has changed. I'm going to guess not, but who knows.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm patching the client as I type this, hopefully the game is still being played, as it's been a month since anyone posted :O

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing there's probably not much of a PA presence in the game anymore, though I can't really tell for sure since I didn't last very long in it myself. But it's a bad sign when Aldo said he was going to play some and let us know if the game looks better (i.e. ready for gold status), only to have never been heard form again. D:

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing there's probably not much of a PA presence in the game anymore, though I can't really tell for sure since I didn't last very long in it myself. But it's a bad sign when Aldo said he was going to play some and let us know if the game looks better (i.e. ready for gold status), only to have never been heard form again. D:
    Oh, oops, forgot.

It looks exactly the same as before, controls haven't improved, you still need a lot of potions and the Engrish is still there for as far as I could tell. Not quite sure what they have fixed or what makes them call it "gold" now. It's still one of the better free games out there and I can recommend it to anyone looking for another digital world to explore, but it just falls short on clunky controls and the fact that you have to sit down and break out a potion between every two fights.

I've been told that it gets better after a while, depending on the class and build you go for, but really I'm not going to waste a few weeks being annoyed with a game in the hope that it gets better after that.

On the PvP front: just look at the world map, there are 2 mega-alliances controlling everything, there is no place for smaller guilds.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I spent about 3 hours with it last night, played every class to level 4, and determined that no matter how neat the idea of a pandaman turned into a tiger flying on a stingray is, it's only fun for a moment before reverting to it's mediocre free MMO status.

I caved in and bought a WoW game time card. I'm still torn between WoW and EVE though.. :|

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhalduneKhaldune Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EVE is incredibly complex compared to WoW. The learning curve is far steeper, and the economics in the game are staggering. If you lose a ship in that game its gone forever. WoW is far kinder to players that have messed up, but at the same time its past its prime. Its still fun, to some extent, but doing dailies just gets boring really fast.

As for me, I'll try Hellgate: London. You only have to pay for the gameitself and its like an mmo with lots of instances. You can choose to pay a monthly fee for extra fetures but its cheaper tha WoW's $15 a month at about $9 a month. If you dont choose to pay the fee its free, save for initial cost and there arent very many penalties to that, just a few inaccessable features.

Choices...

Khaldune on
    "He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty" -Lao Tzu [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Kinda wrong thread there, bub.

Also, Hellgate: London is essentially dying.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In other news, don't quite know if PW is dying it's interesting enough to play for a while, so the newbie zones should be active enough. Too bad you don't really have to group there.

Aldo on