As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Galaxies is horrible

13»

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You messed up on the quote and like half of your post is my post, unquoted.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You messed up on the quote and like half of your post is my post, unquoted.

I fixed it, doesn't look as bad. That was weird.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still miss pre-cu SWG. I grinded out all 32 (iirc) professions to get jedi and they screwed it all up with CU and then further fucked it up with the NGE. The worst part for me was during the CU when I opened my friends list and saw 32 out of 350 people online and realized that the game was a ghost of its former self and all of my friends who helped me get jedi or I pvped with were gone. At least it ended my addiction though.

taco144 on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SWG is the only MMO I quit because of the radical and stupid changes, instead of just getting bored by mindless grinding (seriously, fuck you WoW). You could get to the fun stuff without having to kill five million identical clones of the same guy, because the community created the fun. Also, the missions, while they were somewhat onesided...they had some magic on them. My favorite character was a Carbineer/Creature Handler/Scout Imperial Zabrak, with a kickass pet and kickass mount, and I travelled the universe with my trusty carbine. I did missions for Jabba, Vader, Thrawn, Emperor...and I liked those missions. The advancement was pretty fast.

It was a fun game, even though there were broken things. However, it is probably the only MMO who has made the said broken things MORE broken and added new broken things as well.

I'm not buying anything with "SOE" on it anymore.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uh guys, SWG is now offically dead to me. All interest I may have in going back has been crushed: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19471

smokmnky on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Just killed the whole thing for me because you knew that within a few months there would be Jedi coming out of the woodwork. The original implementation was perfect. It made it so a very small percentage of the player base would be Jedi with permadeath in effect. If you were on a raid (factional base) and all of a sudden a lightsaber turned on out of nowhere, it was almost magical. People would practically stop for a second and stare, awestruck and scared for their lives.

And rightfully so, since the first jedi and their lightsabers could kill just about anybody in 1 hit. Man, I remember when we first got one in our guild, and the death count was broken (just get a doctor to revive you from your last life, and your "remaining lives" would sail hilariously into the negatives)- we'd go to popular hangouts and hassle people, with the jedi reciting Yodaisms in l33t sp3ak.

That, and the jedi in the Something Awful Goon Squad guild- "BuyMeOnEbay".

CowShark on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Uh guys, SWG is now offically dead to me. All interest I may have in going back has been crushed: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19471

That game could be so good. You don't have the problem of jedi on the verge of extinction and have a change to balance them against other classes*. Plus you have a great universe to explore and no real continuity problems being 4000 years prior to Jar Jar Binx (no gunguns as a playable race please. Maybe a dungeon or two somewhere to get some payback if they even exist back then).

It could be what SWG should have been.

*Like CowShark wrote, SWG had pretty powerful jedi which didn't matter too much since they were somewhat rare. Then they made it very easy to become a Jedi and they popped up everywhere. I remember going to an uninstanced dungeon with mates on several occasions to try our hand at clearing it. We'd arrive to see 1 or 2 riflemen afk grinding at the door, make our way in to find 3-5 jedi afk spawn camping in a small room with semi fast respawns. Made you wanna go bh, grab their missions and get some mates to kick their ass.

Eventually AFK'ing and Jedi ruined it for me so I quit before the CU. Didn't much like the uninstanced dungeons either. They were small and constantly camped. Did like trying to solo NS Elders and those big ass dragonlike beasties tho. Never did manage the dragon. :(

Still you gotta have some love a game with Monkey Spider hybrid pets. I had a few rare pets but the rare Merek beasties were my fav.

danx on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Miss it so much.

Laonar on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved the original idea of SWG. I remember making my first trek from Anchorhead to Jabba's Palace, before speeders :).

Anyway a KOTOR MMO is probably the greatest thing that could happen. Balanced Jedi's, no stupid hologrind and Bioware...I'm not seeing to many downsides. The real question will be classes and such. I'd love it if they took the skills system and modified it to fit with Jedi. You could focus on telekinesis at the expense of other attributes like saber skills or healing. It could be so cool.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved the original idea of SWG. I remember making my first trek from Anchorhead to Jabba's Palace, before speeders :).

Anyway a KOTOR MMO is probably the greatest thing that could happen. Balanced Jedi's, no stupid hologrind and Bioware...I'm not seeing to many downsides. The real question will be classes and such. I'd love it if they took the skills system and modified it to fit with Jedi. You could focus on telekinesis at the expense of other attributes like saber skills or healing. It could be so cool.

I think I speak for many hear when I say that I loved how you could create your own class and specialties in SWG, at least to some degree (again, I kind of got screwed out of that as an old school MBH). Total pain to balance of course so who knows?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

EA?

Well bollox.

After all the crap I have had with EA software and support I promised myself that I would never buy a game that they had been involved in.

Oh well, at least it means I get to keep what little social life I have left.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have nothing to add to this thread.

However I think it's pretty funny that the title of the thread is really all that needs to be said and the rest of the thread is pretty redundant. :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually, the title of the thread is ironic considering its contents. But it's really in the present tense, and the rest of us reminiscing are in the long gone past. Indeed, that's what the OP most clearly left as the direction they intended for the thread.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SWG is one of the most shameful MMOG's in gaming history. It should have been a no-brainer, really. A huge license, tons of lore to draw from, movies, books, the expanded universe, the RPG, etc. In the hands of anyone even remotely competent, it would have been a money factory and it's astonishing that they managed to ram it into the ground like this.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Roshin wrote: »
    SWG is one of the most shameful MMOG's in gaming history. It should have been a no-brainer, really. A huge license, tons of lore to draw from, movies, books, the expanded universe, the RPG, etc. In the hands of anyone even remotely competent, it would have been a money factory and it's astonishing that they managed to ram it into the ground like this.

That is what happens when you allow arrogant pricks like Raph Koster to continue making games. The jack ass should have been shown the back door of this industry a decade ago.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    But Koster was responsible for the original SWG. You know, the SWG everyone just spent four pages gushing over. I do believe Koster left the team long before the NGE or even the CU came about.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently he didn't leave until 2006, which is post-NGE. Still, I don't think Koster was on the SWG team by that time (as he's not credited on any expansions past Jump to Lightspeed), and was instead working on EQII.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    who was the dev who recently posted a blog about the reasoning behind the NGE and CU, saying they were good ideas and cussing out anyone who disagreed? I tried to search kotaku for it but couldn't find it :(

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    who was the dev who recently posted a blog about the reasoning behind the NGE and CU, saying they were good ideas and cussing out anyone who disagreed? I tried to search kotaku for it but couldn't find it :(

I can only assume you're talking about Dan Rubenfield. Lum the Mad/Scott Jennings posted a rebuttal to his post, which contains links to said post.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

I can only assume you're talking about Dan Rubenfield. Lum the Mad/Scott Jennings posted a rebuttal to his post, which contains links to said post.

aye, that is the one. really highlights what a bait-and-switch the game turned into with the NGE...

they tried to make the game more like WoW, but what they failed to realize was that the people who wanted to play WoW were playing it, and would keep playing it rather than switch to a knock-off version thrown together in a couple weeks.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I remember leading a raid to the krayt graveyards right when it came out. 30 some people....shooting lasers at a giant lizard for 40 minutes just because it was awesome.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But Koster was responsible for the original SWG. You know, the SWG everyone just spent four pages gushing over. I do believe Koster left the team long before the NGE or even the CU came about.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently he didn't leave until 2006, which is post-NGE. Still, I don't think Koster was on the SWG team by that time (as he's not credited on any expansions past Jump to Lightspeed), and was instead working on EQII.

And for all that gushing, most of them could have derived the same social gratification for free through IRC. I don't pay money for chat clients. The game itself never sounded intriguing or interesting, it sounded like a huge grindfest broken up by bizaare mechanics (Just got out of a fight, damn, I need to go watch someone dance before I can got get my sith on again).

Raph burned me with UO (a vastly overrated game seen mostly through rose tinted lenses) and I smirk everytime I see the bullet I dodged that was SWG.

You know what we have Raph to thank for? That pretentious, obnoxiously long term: Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, or MMORPG. But Raph was convinced he somehow made something more than just a game, so we had to have some grandiose name for this bullshit.

I think if I ever meet him, I will make him beg for his mommy. Doubt the geek is combatives certified.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    An internet tough guy wants to beat up a 30-something MMO developer for no real reason at all? That's fair.

And UO, overrated? If you'd been playing MUDs since 1980, maybe. I still enjoy going back to T2A-era UO every now and again, but it's never really the same, since the people are so different, and the mindset's moved on.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    An internet tough guy wants to beat up a 30-something MMO developer for no real reason at all? That's fair.

I am 34. :P

And it isn't for no reason, I hate the prick.
    And UO, overrated? If you'd been playing MUDs since 1980, maybe. I still enjoy going back to T2A-era UO every now and again, but it's never really the same, since the people are so different, and the mindset's moved on.

Since 1993, but glad that you concede that a decades old medium that doesn't even sport graphics trumps what "professional" development teams can produce.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »
    I am 34.
    34 what?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I am 34.
    34 what?

We were talking about relative ages, so that would be years of course.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm not going to go further down this road. Attempting rational discourse with a long-time MUDder about anything relating to post-UO MMOs is just not worth the hassle.

My final point, though. I was not suggesting that a decades-old medium "trumps" graphical MMOs. I was more along the lines of how an FPS veteran on the PC reacts to the hoopla over Halo. It's not that one's better than the other, they've just seen it done before and don't get what all the excitement's about.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm not going to go further down this road. Attempting rational discourse with a long-time MUDder about anything relating to post-UO MMOs is just not worth the hassle.

My final point, though. I was not suggesting that a decades-old medium "trumps" graphical MMOs. I was more along the lines of how an FPS veteran on the PC reacts to the hoopla over Halo. It's not that one's better than the other, they've just seen it done before and don't get what all the excitement's about.

Heh that is me on both counts I'm afraid.

So back to SWG. The smartest thing they could do at this point would be to reverse all the changes they made. They'd at least pull back a portion of the playerbase they lost. I'd probably even try it then, just to see what everyone is so ga ga about. Nevermind all the bitching and complaining I used to hear about this game during it's supposed golden age.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And for all that gushing, most of them could have derived the same social gratification for free through IRC. I don't pay money for chat clients. The game itself never sounded intriguing or interesting, it sounded like a huge grindfest broken up by bizaare mechanics (Just got out of a fight, damn, I need to go watch someone dance before I can got get my sith on again).

Raph burned me with UO (a vastly overrated game seen mostly through rose tinted lenses) and I smirk everytime I see the bullet I dodged that was SWG.

You know what we have Raph to thank for? That pretentious, obnoxiously long term: Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, or MMORPG. But Raph was convinced he somehow made something more than just a game, so we had to have some grandiose name for this bullshit.

This is ridiculous. There are only a handful of MMOs that aren't huge grindfests, and old SWG and UO were 2 of them (off the top of my head, I can only think of Puzzle Pirates as being a third). In SWG and UO, you didn't have character levels, so even hardened steely warriors could only survive a few more wounds than Ted Newbie off the street, you could start a character from scratch and max out their skills in a few weeks, and weapons and armor were very liable to be lost by your character- in both of these games, your best source of equipment was other players. UO and SWG were very gamey without being too goal oriented, so apart from hunting for ways to unlock our force sensitive slots, there was a lot of shooting the shit, trying to break the economy, and skirmishing with the other side.

In SWG, I thought the dancing/hospitalization stuff was a great way to simultaneously give you your 'punishment' for dying, while encouraging social interaction, and ensuring a sort of "feel" to the environment in that while the game was going strong, cantinas, hospitals, and bars would always be populated, and so towns were lively instead of the UO/EQ/WoW/Every-Other-Game meme of towns being totally ghosted, except for everybody running to and from the bank to drop off/pick up their shit.

CowShark on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved SWG so much, despite it running like total shit on my machine. I still have my huge-ass CE right by my side. The game is shit now. Back when Jedis were rare they were cool and all, but when everybody wanted to be one the developers caved in and made this shitty class-based system based on the archetypes from the movies. Man.

Personally I kinda hope the new KotOR will be on the consoles aswell as the PC. It worked well for FFXI, so why not? Mainly because my computer is crap and I want to play it.

Zilart on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I quit playing SWG before vehicles and jedi were introduced, so that should tell you how much experience i had with the game. Mostly I quit because there was no meaty content. However, despite the lack of content, I still revere the original incarnation of SWG as one of my fondest gaming moments.

When the game first came out the community was amazing. Since everything from trading, crafting, buffing, and exploring was catered towards the community it always felt as if you were really a part of their universe. Not to mention (for reasons which escape me) I've yet to find a better community in any game since.

Krayt raids and PvP raids were awesome, especially with the fatigue/deathblow system they had. I remember my imperial group fending off a rebel attack one night and after chasing most of them away we had one straggler left that we all determined to torture. It had to have been 30 minutes that we kept that guy there punching him every time he stood up from incap so that his stats would go into the negatives instead of killing him. Exploration, on foot, was also a blast. It was great running across planets finding random points of interest. I even loved the skill/class system that rewarded you w/ experience for what you were doing.

I definitely look at SWG with rose-tinted glasses, but not without reason. Like I said, I quit due to lack of content, but what they got right they got exceptionally right. In retrospect I don't think I could stand playing another WoW game where the entire purpose is to get super loot from my 2nd job of being a part-time raider. I'd like another SWG-style sandbox game.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been playing the trial for the past few days-- I was curious to see how much it's changed. The last time I played was just when the NGE was released.

I can't remember much about the game so right away it feels different. To be honest, and I never thought I'd say this about SWG, I'm actually enjoying it.

When I played the game just after its release and a few times through the years leading up to the release of the NGE I wasn't giving it a fair shake-- I was harshly critical of its design implementation, always complaining that it wasn't what I wanted out of a Star Wars MMO. Hell, now that I think about it, I never really played it. I mostly just bitched on the forums.

It has design problems, like every game, but now that I'm giving it a fair try I'm feeling good about it... but, as I said, it's only been a few days. That's certainly no time to form an in-depth and fair opinion about an MMO.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah throughout the thread that has basically been my argument.

The current format is not "bad". The problem is that it is not good enough to warrant people giving a damn, including myself.

I was actually most disappointed with JTL, which is the part of the game I loved, as it is fairly evident it hasn't had any dev attention since it's release and is now a complete grind fest.

Also the lack of ability to take a combat profession AND shipwright really hurts JTL a lot.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The battle fatigue idea was nice. After a huge epic battle defending town, everyone took off their armor and went to the cantina to chillax. It was great. Then macros and auto entertainers came in. And like everything else in SWG, it went to crap.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well... I'm bored of it again. The game just feels empty.

I'm trying to enjoy it.. but... damn.

The only thing I can find enjoyable is roleplaying, and I enjoy that, but it's not really worthy paying $15 a month for it.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CangoFett wrote: »
    The battle fatigue idea was nice. After a huge epic battle defending town, everyone took off their armor and went to the cantina to chillax. It was great. Then macros and auto entertainers came in. And like everything else in SWG, it went to crap.
    Spot on. The auto-entertainers really killed it for me. I don't know why, but I probably spent 50% of my game time in cantina's bullshitting w/ the entertainers. It was even more fun when the ocassional rebel scum would walk in not realizing he was in an Imperial-dominated cantina.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Spot on. The auto-entertainers really killed it for me. I don't know why, but I probably spent 50% of my game time in cantina's bullshitting w/ the entertainers. It was even more fun when the ocassional rebel scum would walk in not realizing he was in an Imperial-dominated cantina.

Yeah, this (pre-Auto) and the PC Doctors really made the game for me in the early days. I remember playing my TK/Medic one weekend, don't recall the planet or city, but it was regularly contested and had this one big medical facility split into two large rooms. We had all types of medics & doctors in there: Rebel, Imperial, Undeclared and all of a sudden we started to organize that shit. Had a handful of people set up as a triage by the doorway, shunting people with light wounds to the medical trainees in the first room for experience, or passing them off to the Master Doctors in the back for critical patients. The only major guideline was 'No fighting goes on inside the clinic'; if you fought with anyone, you were out; blacklisted, no one would touch you.

It kept up for a couple weeks, chatting and healing and such. And it was always a bit of a laugh to see that Rebel/Imperial that decided to off one of the medical staff before getting slaughtered by the other patients beg for heals. Still one of my fondest memories from the game, if not the most surreal.

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »

Yeah, and after the entertainers started to afk grind, it made for some interesting hunts for the one that wasn't everywhere I went. I swear, most days I'd only find one if I were lucky, but I'd /tip them a few hundred k simply for playing the goddamn game.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved being rich, and a good PvPer. It got to the point that Id go around Coronet, offering a few hundred thousand credits to anyone who'd duel me, and they get double that if they actually win.

I didnt lose money often. Even to the Jedi.

Oh how I loathed Jedi, and loved destroying them.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved SWG, it was all about the Bria server, so much fun had on there, holo grinding to jedi and being unlucky having to do every single proffession.

Grinding in the tusken fort and loving it when the tusken hellspawn happened.

Nightsister grinding for polearms with mindfire and owning everyone.

Combat medic attacks into bases through the WALLS!

having 3 ATST's as pets and soloing krayts to get the pearls then making cash money

I miss swg, the community was the best and my god the forum drama was immense.

Alexander on