As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You are currently talking about Diablo 3

• DurtyFitzDurtyFitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The thing that gets me about this color debacle is that we have seen a total of how many areas?

A single dungeon, and the area following. That brings our total to two (2).

A petition... for how two areas look...

Sure, I can understand the PoV for people taking this stance (there was a zomgrainbowofbunnysex), but is it too far of a stretch to belive that the art style of the game may change as you progress through the storyline? Sure, in the begining, things may seem as if the world has had 20 years or so to recover from the last time hell walked on earth. But whats to say that the next act will paint the same picture? By that time you may be on the heels of the prime evils (or whoever is going to fill that role this time around), and the landscape lie in ruin and charred remains of its inhabitants lay strewn across it.

I'd say its no more of a stretch to assume that the entire game is going to be filled with rainbows, bunnies having sex with butterflies, and (God forbid) some actual color other than: poop brown, poop grey, and pitch black.

I don't want D3 to be a fairies wet dream, and I seriously doubt thats the direction its heading (even given the color scheme...). I'm going to reserve my rampant assumptions about the overall games theme and direction until I see more than a single dungeon and the area following it.

DurtyFitz on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are also plenty of other ways to invoke mood aside from color. Like music and sound cues.
    It's not like this game is particularly more vibrant than Diablo II. It seems to me that most of the people who are frothing over the color (not saying anyone here is frothing, but obviously some people are) are comparing it to the original Diablo, which has a pretty bland pallette.

Snork on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I got to say, I really don't see the similarities.

The thing is, Blizzard makes things that are stylized, they always have. The fact that they are stylized is always true, but the style isn't always the same. Frankly I prefer it. I think most games that try to appear like realism just look like ass in this generation.

EDIT:
    Actually, for those who are claiming that WoW and D3 look similar, I'd like to see some comparison shots that show this similarity, and maybe a picture of something you'd like Diablo to be like instead.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I got to say, I really don't see the similarities.

The thing is, Blizzard makes things that are stylized, they always have. The fact that they are stylized is always true, but the style isn't always the same. Frankly I prefer it. I think most games that try to appear like realism just look like ass in this generation.

As someone who's loved Diablo since the beginning, thats a depressing mindset to be in. Diablo was pretty much the most realistic looking game of 1996. It was graphically stunning. I upgraded my operating system from windows 3.11 to 95 just to play the game.

Its pretty much the only game series I would actually enjoy Gears of War style greys and gloom, which I usually hate.

I mean, I love the way WoW looks, aside from some of the art direction choices in BC. Its just thats not Diablo. But hey, game's probably over a year away.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DurtyFitzDurtyFitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean, I love the way WoW looks, aside from some of the art direction choices in BC. Its just thats not Diablo. But hey, game's probably over a year away.

I have to agree here, I really don't like the direction that blizzard took BC in either. And you are right, that does not fit the diablo universe by any means. IMO, D3 is looking really good from what I've seen. I just hope (and would assume) the game world gets more brooding and dark as you progress through the storyline and these first areas we've seen are just to serve as a sort of contrast from the dark and brooding world you will tread through.

A contrast was never really present in the previous installments, it started out dark and gritty. FFS, one of the first NPC's you talk to in D1 is bleeding out, telling you of the horrors that lie beneath the cathedral. GREAT mood setter BTW. Its stuff more along those lines that I would like to see return in D3, cause for me, the graphics (art style/color/etc.) don't have that much affect on how much I enjoy a game. The actual gameplay and lore is what hooks me.

DurtyFitz on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "I think it looks like WoW."

"I think it looks not-like Diablo."

"I think it looks fine."

"I think it looks better."

None of us are going to convince each other of a goddamn thing. Shut the goddamn shit fuck up about the colors and design.

Henroid on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i like the colors of the design

The Sneak! on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think Blizzard is focusing too much on graphics I can see and not enough on stuff I can smell. I'm going to start a petition to force Blizzard to make DIII cause my computer to belch out sulpher smoke and the scent of burning hair.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    I think Blizzard is focusing too much on graphics I can see and not enough on stuff I can smell. I'm going to start a petition to force Blizzard to make DIII cause my computer to belch out sulpher smoke and the scent of burning hair.

Don't forget rotting/burning flesh and fecal matter

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

/signed

now that that's over how about we discuss something like potential class additions that haven't really been attempted in the past? How about a gadget or magic dude that screws up alot with random effects? Basically he has a very high chance for criticals that are random in nature with beneficial effects or he has a high chance to screw up with some kind of random, detremental effect. Each skill he has different pros and cons.

actually that's kinda dumb but not near as dumb as I feel after reading the last few pages of this thread

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wacko inventions and inventors would throw it a little too close to the gnomish engineering of WoW.

I'm sure they've come up with some neato stuff. Maybe they'll introduce different playable races this time around? It'd be pretty sweet to play as a half-balrog fire lord or something.

Greenleaf on
    edited July 2008
    Greenleaf wrote: »
    Wacko inventions and inventors would throw it a little too close to the gnomish engineering of WoW.

I'm sure they've come up with some neato stuff. Maybe they'll introduce different playable races this time around? It'd be pretty sweet to play as a half-balrog fire lord or something.

No no no no no

I'm so glad you don't work for Blizzard

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Me too, considering I don't have to work because I have BILLIONS OF DOLLARS....

edit: I meant S.H.I.E.L.D Tokens.

I'm actually pretty broke irl. my wife left me bcuz im 2 lazy to move sometimes

Greenleaf on
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking the other day that a Van Helsing-type "Witch Hunter" character would be kinda neat. He could fight with crossbows and simple firearms, and would specialize in debuffing different mob types based on his skill selection (that is, his expert knowledge of the occult). He could also bind different monsters he kills to his weapons/armor to provide different kinds of buffs to himself for a limited time. For example, kill a Burning Dead and bind it to your weapon for bonus fire damage, or to your armor for protection vs. fire, or to your "holy relic" accessory for some kind of regen bonus.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking the other day that a Van Helsing-type "Witch Hunter" character would be kinda neat. He could fight with crossbows and simple firearms, and would specialize in debuffing different mob types based on his skill selection (that is, his expert knowledge of the occult). He could also bind different monsters he kills to his weapons/armor to provide different kinds of buffs to himself for a limited time. For example, kill a Burning Dead and bind it to your weapon for bonus fire damage, or to your armor for protection vs. fire, or to your "holy relic" accessory for some kind of regen bonus.

So a staple char for pvm but a worthless char for pvp? Don't get me wrong but that sounds cool.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    I could care less about PvP, really. And actually I was thinking that his firearms would be extremely high-damage but very low ROF making him poor at crowd control but great at dealing with unique and semi-unique mobs. You could also probably store up a short queue of harvested "souls" to use in a pinch, too.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited July 2008
    how about a character that always has a sidekick that is a converted mob (mercanary) of your choice. He levels up along side you and gets his own skillset as do you. At any time in that game you can take on a new counterpart and level them with skills that are more relative to their natural skills. Maybe you could have more sidekicks if they are all weaker or one big one if he's a powerhouse.

uh oh... I think I know what I did here but I'm not going to admit to it

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait.... nowwwwwwwwww I am starting to see the light.

I totally forgot about this...
    ArenaNet is a computer game developer and part of NCsoft Corporation, founded in 2000 by Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain, former Blizzard Entertainment members that played important roles in developing the highly successful computer games Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and the Battle.net gaming network.

God, now I know why the game isnt looking much like Diablo. They got all those people from WoW working on it :P :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    I think we all stopped caring in the last thread.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited July 2008
    Ok, I was just making an observation, thank you.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, I was just making an observation, thank you.

I'm making an observation that he doesn't care about your observations.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited July 2008
    I really appreciate it, but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Its an interesting point to consider.

I fucking hate Guild Wars, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I really appreciate it, but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Whats the point of coming to a forum and just try to mute everyone? Forums are place of discussion. Don't give a damn? Then why even bother? Now all I need is the "rolls eyes emote icon".

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

I liked it at first, just stopped playing after all the expansions came out. I'm kinda curious as to what GW2 will be like.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I liked it at first, just stopped playing after all the expansions came out. I'm kinda curious as to what GW2 will be like.

I doubt there be much difference from Guild Wars...
    Guildwars seriously lacks endgame content...

Endgame content is only PvP like GVG or HA...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Dis wrote: »

I doubt there be much difference from Guild Wars...
    Guildwars seriously lacks endgame content...

Endgame content is only PvP like GVG or HA...

Not that I want to derail this thread, and not that I don’t disagree with you in terms of GW1, but this is what I've read.
    The game is set hundreds of years after the events in the original series and is expected to contain several new features, consisting of a more persistent world (as opposed to mostly instanced), an altered NPC system and an updated graphics engine. No release dates have been announced, but public beta-testing will not begin in 2008.

But yea, I'm ready for some new games with new content and hopefully some new, unique gameplay.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to add something to the "colors lol" discussion. I think the color pallette is fine. It's not bright or cheery, it's fine for Diablo. The (very minor) problem I have with the graphics is that Blizzard has not yet figured out how to use normal mapping. I want to see some light reflections, and I want my character's armor to look like armor instead of paint. Even TQ had a bit of bump mapping on the character models. I know there are CPU issues to consider, but why isn't it do-able to at least put some mapping on the PCs only?

Yes, I am a graphics whore. Let's be honest with ourselves, though: none of these issues will stop any of us from giving Blizzard our money and playing D3 for 8 million hours.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Triple B wrote: »
    I want to add something to the "colors lol" discussion. I think the color pallette is fine. It's not bright or cheery, it's fine for Diablo. The (very minor) problem I have with the graphics is that Blizzard has not yet figured out how to use normal mapping. I want to see some light reflections, and I want my character's armor to look like armor instead of paint. Even TQ had a bit of bump mapping on the character models. I know there are CPU issues to consider, but why isn't it do-able to at least put some mapping on the PCs only?

Yes, I am a graphics whore. Let's be honest with ourselves, though: none of these issues will stop any of us from giving Blizzard our money and playing D3 for 8 million hours.

Maybe because normal mapping looks like shit and breaks immersion and I'd take a game that didn't use it with a unique graphical style over one that did every time?

Most games that use it are only successful in making everything look like it was made out of plastic or covered in slime.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought up a class that would be kind of fun to see. He'd be a gadgeteer/alchemist that can make potions for his allies to use. He'd also have grenade style potions/traps like the assassin. More of a battlefield control type character. I wouldn't play it, but I bet some other people would like it.

Toothy on
    edited July 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    I thought up a class that would be kind of fun to see. He'd be a gadgeteer/alchemist that can make potions for his allies to use. He'd also have grenade style potions/traps like the assassin. More of a battlefield control type character. I wouldn't play it, but I bet some other people would like it.

I like it. I see a gadgeteer / alchemist being the type of class to replace an amazon but still provide utility to themselves and the group.

I'd like to see a class that can morph into most any mob and take on a few of their abilities while in that form. Perhaps you can only memorize 3 forms at any one time that you can morph into. However this does make it very difficult for blizzard as they would have to equip each mob type with player skills, regardless of whether or not the mob uses those skills while fighting against you.

i miss my druid so much...

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Maybe because normal mapping looks like shit and breaks immersion and I'd take a game that didn't use it with a unique graphical style over one that did every time?

Most games that use it are only successful in making everything look like it was made out of plastic or covered in slime.
    you'd be hard pressed to find any game today that does not use normal mapping.

Unless they're 2D.

DanHibiki on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm talking about PC models only. I want my character to have normal mapped textures, because I believe the character models would greatly benefit from it. That's all.

So it comes down to "Would you rather have everything shiny and 3D-looking, or would you rather have your shit look like watercolor paint?" I understand where you're coming from, but I certainly wouldn't say normal mapping looks like shit.

As far as a unique graphical style, I definitely agree with those who say that the player models look very reminiscent to those in WoW.
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Unless they're 2D.

Every game with the "Blizzard" logo on it.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually really like the watercolor kind of style in the outdoor area shown. The only problem with increasing character detail is that you're zoomed out most of the time. It wouldn't really be visible except random shininess.

captaink on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks like this thread has not improved noticeably over the last week. Guess I will try again next wednesday.

Have fun discussing the graphics though guys!

Vic on
    edited July 2008
    Graphics are for jerks and lesbians.

Aegeri on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Blocky characters? Big shoulder pads? Colors? Looks too much like WarHammer.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited July 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    Blocky characters? Big shoulder pads? Colors? Looks too much like WarHammer.

And Warhammer is clearly not gritty and dark enough. This game sucks.

Aegeri on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Unless they're 2D.

Every game with the "Blizzard" logo on it.

well let's some of the games Blizzard is coming out with these days:
    Starcraft 2: Normal Maps
    Diablo 3: Normals Maps

... anything else that's not running on four year old software?

DanHibiki on
    edited July 2008
    i really thought my thread reading days would be enhanced by this diablo3 announcement. I couldn't have been more wrong. All you color fanatics can go straight to hell.

call me when they've all gone back to the WoW forums

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
This discussion has been closed.