As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e] Paragon Paramilitaries

GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
The game: A One Dungeon Adventure in Paragon Tier Eberron: Little Diplomacy, Much Headknocking
The Level: 20
The Point Buy: 22
Your Job: Post what role you want to play in this thread. Then, with the people who get in, hash out a short history of your group as Eberrons finest Paramilitary force this side of Darguun(which means "in Sharn"). You can be as wild and outlandish as you want and integrate yourself into the history of the world as much as you want, it isn't likely to matter. Ill need 5 of you.
My Job: To make this work and design some interesting encounters.
My Real Job: TPK

Supplements Allowed: Racial Supplements from Dragon, Plus any Eberron race in the MM(Dopplegangers, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs, Gnomes, Shifters). Likely any racial supplement released between now and when the game starts.

Things to not worry about: Dragonmarks, you don't have any. Cool Eberron specific items just describe the base PHB items as if they were cool Eberron specific items.

Things to worry about: Next of Kin, ritual components, Magical Beasts and Monsters of all kinds. Aberrations, Hags(well, only 3 of them), Undead, Rakshasa, Lava.

Time and Place: Saturday Morning EST, exact time TBD, exact date TBD on map tools.

The Fluff: Three days ago the Accord that ended the last war was signed. Yesterday, you and your friends returned to Sharn, beaten, but not broken and only survivors of the Day of Mourning. Today, a haggard looking old man collapsed after beating down the front door to your guild and residence at Deathsgate.

Before he died he handed you a piece of paper with only "57 Mulligan Bone Alley" scrawled on it and said "She's taken them. All 12. She has the Accord. Only you can stop her, you haven't much time". This was most unusual. You had known this man since before the war, the tattoo was unmistakable. This was Pharamond De'Cannith. He would have been 31 next month. The dragonmark which had sprawled across his back and down under his arms had been exactingly flayed from his body, clearly recognizable despite his now sagging flesh.

wbBv3fj.png
Goumindong on

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll get to work on a character soon, I'm running a game at home and participating in one too. Need to work on a concept for an Eberron character.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I would like to apply (as an Artificer if that works) if you guys don't have full seats.

fadingathedges on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The artificer is not finished and so cannot be played(really not enough powers). Don't worry about your concept so much as what role you want to play. Fading wants to play a leader it looks like. Not sure about Kuhlmeye.

Though i may let you multi-class artificer, not sure yet.

ed: also there are some powers in the artificer list that i do not like(too strong or easily abusable).

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Works for me.

e~ If someone else has their heart set on leader, I would play a defender(likely paladin) as a second option.

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    Well, I would like to see how a high level Ranger plays... perhaps I will try that.

kuhlmeye on
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What time zone, ballpark what time and how long to play?

I'll roll up someone for an off tank - striker hyrbid, if that's alright and I'm allowed in.

Legionnaired on
    edited July 2008
    Looking for Saturday morning EST, probably going to start next Sat and not this one. So is that defender/striker multi you want legion?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I might whip up a high level goblinoid fighter for this.

Edit: MapTools? Urk. Darn. I'll have to pass. :(

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited July 2008
    So Fading wants a leader, Kuhl wants a Striker, Mike wants a defender, Legion wants a defender/striker?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So Fading wants a leader, Kuhl wants a Striker, Mike wants a defender, Legion wants a defender/striker?

I can do that but probably no longer than noon, if that works. Yup, I'll go defender/striker.

Legionnaired on
    edited July 2008
    I play ping pong at 1 PM, so a 12 noon end works for me. Should extend the sessions a bit depending on when we start.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Brundle, Bugbear Warlord

90% done.
    I ended up dumping the artificer ambitions despite the mentioned multi-class potential... too much fun stuff in the Warlord as is, so I went with a less tinker and more drill sergent angle.

e~ Wait, bugbear isn't in your list... goblinoid but not a goblin. Is it legal or shall I swap races?

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    I need to bow out, sorry. I was looking forward to using a Fighter/Ranger build to mark *everyone*.

Legionnaired on
    edited July 2008
    O.K. Well I am mapping, but i do not think I will be available next Saturday. Expect 2-3 weeks start time. Feel free to junk around in here in the mean time, discuss tactics and make characters.

Still need 2 people.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    3 people I believe, Mike was assuming pbp not maptools :p Wasn't Goose one of the originators of this idea? Where's he?

fadingathedges on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooh, if it's still open, I'd love to play. How's a, uh, controller sound? It just so happens I wanted to try out a high-level wizard. 12 noon EST is great for me.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2008
    I believe the sessions will end at 12 noon so that Gou can get to painting the line by 1:00, so I'm assuming a 9:00 start (or earlier)

But we need a controller yes :D Just set your alarm!

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    Ill contact goose, at yea, its going to be an early start if we play. First session would have to be the second Saturday from now and we will have to end before one. Ping Pong starts at 1:30.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Ah, I see. Yeah, that works fine. I'll make up the character sheet, I suppose you'd like to have them before we play?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2008
    At some point, though right before would not be too big a deal. You might want to wait until we have everyone all ready and knowing what type of character they are going to play so that you all can figure out what you synergize with.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Controller synergies well with blowing up more than one man at a time ^^

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    I think I might play a warforged fighter if thats cool.

kuhlmeye on
    edited July 2008
    Yes. Opting out of the ranger?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, decided that I wanted to play a warforged, but he doesn't really fall into the ranger category.

kuhlmeye on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the sessions are over by noon, then I can make it ( my job starts at 2 on Saturdays ). I'd like to try out a high level Paladin.

I should admit that I know next to nothing about Eberron.

Cantide on
    edited July 2008
    So we have two defenders, a leader, and a controller. Should have a striker next.

Eberron specific knowledge will not be required. This is more or less a dungeon romp. You might have more fun if you know some Eberron stuff. But all you really need to know is that dragonmarks(the thing flayed from your friends back) are fairly important and the setting plays in one of a few iconic styles that are mainly nior, and beat-em-up/comic book adventure.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am working up a Shifter Longtooth Rogue. I'll have the character sheet up on myth-weavers sometime tonight.

Dajian on
    edited July 2008
    Ok then, hopefully I will have my Warforged Fighter on myth-weavers tonight.

kuhlmeye on
    edited July 2008
    I should have a sheet up tonight or tomorrow, depending on whether I have enough free time today to look through the books.

Cantide on
    edited July 2008
    No need to rush. Game starts next Saturday, the 26th. This Saturday the 19th i will be on a plane flying across the country and will not have internet access to DM a game.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Since we seem to have a full group, let's start thinking about the party as a whole. Anyone want to be the party leader? I'd suggest our warlord Brundle, given that's he's, y'know, a warlord, but anyone will do.

What kind of group should we be, an efficient, well-oiled military machine, or a band of (extremely competent) misfits? I'm leaning towards the latter, myself, since my current character concept is a very laid-back kind of guy.

Cantide on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, if you still wanna have the 6th person as a buffer for if someone doesnt show, Ill roll up a ranger tonight.

Lardalish on
    edited July 2008
    Brundle will certainly go into a barking-commands-mode at times in combat, but someone with more Charisma is welcome to step into the front-man role if the position attracts. He is a consummate tactician without tact, if you follow me :P

Competent Misfits fits well on my end :^: (seasoned bugbear battle captain veteran etc)

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    6th man is officially fine. Ill just add in some overflow/underflow monsters.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Hey melee-types, would you like me to take Lasting Frost and cold spells? I'm totally up for some Killer Cold Combo action. (Lasting Frost + Wintertouched)

Goumindong, are MM races ok? I'll likely be a human, but just in case. Also, how about the Dragon mag illusionist spells?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure about the Frost stuff, up to you :P I would say that I think there is a feat that allows you to not hit allies with your Area attacks (I think it's Paragon) and it might be worth looking at since we have 4 melee ^^

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2008
    MM eberron races are fine, which is what is listed in the first post(and hobgoblins). Dragon mag illusionist spells are not fine. I've been through them and there are a few i don't like iirc.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited July 2008
    Spell Accuracy is epic, unfortunately. If we get to 21st, though, it'll be #1 on my list.

Thanks, missed the part on the races. Excited!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Assuming it's not already taken, I'm interested in playing a Striker of some sort..

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited July 2008
    If you want to be a standby that is fine, but we have 6 and I don't want to add more.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png