As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Linux Switch

124»

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    I read this thread title as "the linux sandwich." Would such a sandwich be possible? If so, how would it taste? If good, can someone make me one?
    If a sudo joke goes unanswered, does anybody care....? :P

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i missed that one
    since i hardly ever read larlar's posts all the way through

potatoe on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In any case, the salad would be incompatible with the meat, unless you spend 9 hours configuring mayo v0.14567434 NOT mayo v0.14567434.1b; or the whole thing explodes Hindenburg style in your mouth, blowing your tounge off.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited July 2008
    naw man just grab mk_sandwich.sh off of sandwichHack.org and run it as root

potatoe on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    In any case, the salad would be incompatible with the meat, unless you spend 9 hours configuring mayo v0.14567434 NOT mayo v0.14567434.1b; or the whole thing explodes Hindenburg style in your mouth, blowing your tounge off.

Is this a Linux sandwich or a Gentoo sandwich?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    i missed that one
    since i hardly ever read larlar's posts all the way through

I'll have to make them longer so you don't even read part of the way through.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Janin wrote: »
    hibernation when the lid closes?

i'm pretty sure that's been in most, if not all, windows laptops for the last 4-5 years

It's the first one where it works, though. My previous laptops, in order, would:

1. Bluescreen on resume
    2. Sometimes bluescreen on resume
    3. Severe graphical glitches until reboot
    4. Chug along at greatly reduced performance for 5-10 minutes after resume
    5. No mouse until reboot

So on the mac, when I shut the lid and opened it and nothing broke it was a pretty amazing moment.

Let me guess, Toshiba laptop?

My (free) Toshiba Satellite did not have any of those problems...

Neither have any of the other laptops I've seen.

I take that back there was a bluescreen on the resume of my toshiba ONE TIME. Thats because we removed the wireless network card and opened it back up. Which any hardware changes will pretty much cause a bluescreen when you come back from hibernate on any windows machine.

Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

Then they all say microsoft sucks after they break it.

I don't want to "work" on my computer when I get on it. I don't troubleshoot problems when the occur I simply remove whatever caused it and reinstall.

I've installed linux, got it running, realized there wasn't a damn thing I could do with it that I would even care to do.

I really don't see the obsession some people have with this, but then again I don't understand dudes that are into sado-masichism either.

Grath on
  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Most linux geeks that have problems with windows machines cause these problems themselves.

Because they know just enough to fuck with things, and they have this pre-set notion in their head how it should work. But because they are linux geeks they feel the need to fuck with every little thing even when it straight tells you DONT TOUCH THIS YOU CAN BREAK THINGS.

haha, what?

Hakunin on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    my friend installed ubuntu cause vista was pissing him off and it seemed pretty fast

still, it's linux, so i made fun of him

last week his kernel grenaded itself and wiped the root directory

hahahahaha

Grenaded? Now I'm imagining a page of old arcane C code suddenly shouting some arabic epithet and exploding violently

I don't know why this was my first thought but I can't get it out of my head

Ledneh on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Hakunin wrote: »

haha, what?

basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

Grath on
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Grenaded? Now I'm imagining a page of old arcane C code suddenly shouting some arabic epithet and exploding violently

This is pretty much what C does anyway, except it's more like a crazy guy that uses his own blood to write satanic messages on his wall, stuffs a grenade in his mouth, pulls the pin, and shouts "SEGMENTATION FAULT"

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Grath wrote: »

haha, what?

basically linux geeks are like kids who stick pennies in light sockets even though their parents warn them against it.

hey now, not all of us
    some of us know when not to fuck with shit we don't understand

potatoe on
    edited July 2008

haha, what?

hey now, not all of us
    some of us know when not to fuck with shit we don't understand

you're right, my bad.

vocal and angry linux geeks

Grath on
  • DKWDKW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OSX is awesome in terms of presentation and simplicity, but holy shit that doesn't justify the cost of a mac!

DKW on
    You guys are so cool
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    DKW wrote: »
    OSX is awesome in terms of presentation and simplicity, but holy shit that doesn't justify the cost of a mac!

Their laptops are not all that much more than a similarly configured Dell.

Doc on
    edited July 2008

haha, what?

Your whole idea of this doesn't make any sense, because most Linux users have been trained not to screw with things they don't understand. In Windows, digging into deep crevices and tweaking hidden settings is the cultural norm because there's no other way to get things done. The registry is the ultimate sign of this -- a giant unreadable blob that magically affect almost everything on your computer, but it's not even possible to set a different e-mail agent without digging into it. Users are encouraged to monkeypatch core OS libraries so they can have themes, which would make any Linux user yell "what the fuck!?" in horror.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

This is pretty much what C does anyway, except it's more like a crazy guy that uses his own blood to write satanic messages on his wall, stuffs a grenade in his mouth, pulls the pin, and shouts "SEGMENTATION FAULT"

ahahhahahah

Ledneh on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What I want: Windows with the CL capabilities of Linux.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I installed Ubuntu on the extra bit of unpartitioned space I left open for it a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to run an AVG scan because AVG in windows was causing system failures whenever it hit the registry, so I was worried something was wrong. The scan didn't find anything, though.

So then I thought I'd play around with Ubuntu a bit. I decided to try to get dual monitors working. I couldn't find any good information anywhere. I ended up with everything all fucked up, and no idea how to fix it.

Doing some things in Windows is a huge pain in the ass. Doing some things in Linux is a huge pain in the ass. But in Windows, you can just fuck around with shit until it works. It's a lot harder to fuck it up, because Windows tends to assume you don't know what you're doing. Linux assumes you always know exactly what you're doing.

Look, every OS sucks. It's just a fact. For my money, Windows sucks less because it wastes less of my time.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited July 2008
    And I really can't take anyone who uses the term Mebibytes seriously. I just find myself thinking "Go back to wikipedia, neckbeard."

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited July 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    And I really can't take anyone who uses the term Mebibytes seriously. I just find myself thinking "Go back to wikipedia, neckbeard."

I use them when needed, but most of the time I prefer to use megabytes because seriously, who can do base-2 math in their head (not me)

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    So then I thought I'd play around with Ubuntu a bit. I decided to try to get dual monitors working. I couldn't find any good information anywhere. I ended up with everything all fucked up, and no idea how to fix it.

ATI card? nVidia cards have a little program you start, enable the second screen, set the resolution, all done.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    What are the advantages to using Linux
    I've always wondered about this

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The main advantage is that Linux is free.

Now, if you pull out that little chestnut 'it's only free if your time is worthless, then I will stab you. I installed Ubuntu a week or two ago with absolutely no problems.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • SpookymikalSpookymikal Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The main thing for home users is you don't have to run firewall / antivirus / disk mounter / whatever to have basic functionality. It's also harder to screw up accidentally, which makes it rather useful for family members that seem to act as virus magnets.

it's a lot quicker, especially on older hardware. It's a lot more customizable, so if you're really anal about how things work, you have a lot of options.

But really, the primary argument is simply that it's free. Windows is supposed to cost over $100, and most of us might not pay that, but that doesn't make it right. Linux is a morally sound free option.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    edited July 2008

it's a lot quicker, especially on older hardware. It's a lot more customizable, so if you're really anal about how things work, you have a lot of options.

But really, the primary argument is simply that it's free. Windows is supposed to cost over $100, and most of us might not pay that, but that doesn't make it right. Linux is a morally sound free option.

The price difference is no longer relevant to most people, because in the age of bittorrent Windows is free. Anybody who wants to can download and install a pirated copy of Windows with no significant issue.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

The price difference is no longer relevant to most people, because in the age of bittorrent Windows is free. Anybody who wants to can download and install a pirated copy of Windows with no significant issue.

unless you feel bad about stealing software, etc.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
  • DKWDKW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    DKW wrote: »

Their laptops are not all that much more than a similarly configured Dell.

Ah you're right I'm just nervous about buying one

DKW on
    You guys are so cool
    edited July 2008
    Read the article I linked; most people give the thought of pirating software about as much as thought as downloading music (ie, none at all). It's not as obvious here on PA because of the rather strict rules against discussing piracy, but on looser forums like SA or 4ch there's an unstated assumption "who buys Windows anyway?".

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah fuck that
    The laptop came with Windows, I'm good

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah fuck that
    The laptop came with Windows, I'm good

it was bundled in with the cost.

imagine the same laptop for $100 less.

also, re pirating windows/music: just because everybody does it doesn't make it fucking right.

Spookymikal on
    As Always
    -Mikal-
  • HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    just because it isnt right doesnt mean everybody isnt doing it

Hakunin on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also who the fuck pirates windows. The version you have should be good enough until you buy another computer and even then, just suck it up. My computer was still pretty cheap even with windows. It is worth it not to deal with cracking it and all of that bullshit.

Or you could just go to a university that offers it for a ridiculously low price or free.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2008

^-- this

Applies to big $$ software like Photoshop also. You just know people aren't paying $2500 to put captions on pictures of their cats, but mention Paint.NET and GIMP and see if anybody knows what they are.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Best rationale for doing anything ever.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What can I say - at some point you kids will graduate high school and get a job, and then your attitudes will probably change.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I installed Ubuntu a week or two ago with absolutely no problems.

Installing it is easy. Getting it working like you want it to can be a major pain.

Doc on
    edited July 2008

ATI card? nVidia cards have a little program you start, enable the second screen, set the resolution, all done.

Whereas with ATI cards, you try a thing, try another thing, realize you didn't undo the first thing, try to fix things, screw them up worse, and boot back into your Windows install, which doesn't get fucked up just trying to extend your desktop.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Installing it is easy. Getting it working like you want it to can be a major pain.
    That depends.

I've spent countless hours getting windows to work like I want it to and I've spent countless hours getting linux to work like I want it to.

Windows is fantastic for what it does, and most of the problems people have are due to their own actions. The same can not be said of Linux.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png