As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Model UN- General Assembly (Currently 87 Members)

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the Penny Arcade Model UN's General Assembly. If you're a delegate, post away. If you're not and wish to become a delegate, the signup thread is where you want to go first. If you wish to step down from your post as delegate, say so in there. The roster will be in the signup thread only.

So with that established...

RULES OF CONDUCT

*To begin, standard D&D rules apply. That will serve as our starting Model UN Charter. If you wish to add or change a rule, propose it, debate it and vote on it.

*Topics to be discussed will be a mix of serious and less-than-serious. This is the board that named its national pasttime after a penis, after all.

*We won't be expelling member nations here. As for delegates... let's face it, anything they'd do to get themselves expelled is likely going to end up getting them banned in the process.

*So that everyone can figure out what in blazes is going on, please come up with some way to show what country you're representing. Preferably, grab your corresponding flag and stick it somewhere so people can tell who's who. I favor this place due to 3D animation and variable sizes. Medium and small will fit sig requirements for these boards.

Since I started this thing, I get to be Secretary General. (It's the only chance anyone from America is ever getting the position in a million billion years.) My role will basically be similar to that of a Phalla host. I reserve the right to engage in debate with delegates, come up with rules on the spot to handle any situations that currently have none, and other duties as self-assigned.

Also, please remember I'm one guy. I am not a robot. Don't go at a speed or submit any rule changes that are going to require more than one guy to implement.

RULES OF DEBATE

*Anyone may submit a resolution, which then must be seconded by five people. First to five is the one we work on.
*Once the nature of debate is agreed to, everyone debates in a free-for-all format. We had something involving word counts, but it sucked.
*During arguing time, other parties may propose amendments, to be adopted or rejected by the proposing party.
*After a period of time to be decided by the Secretary-General, voting will take place for a period of 18 hours. Yes in lime, no in red. You may also abstain. In order for a resolution to pass, yesses must exceed the combined total of nos and abstentions. (If a quorum reaches a consensus during the vote- a majority of all members in the body voting together- the Secretary General may close the vote early, depending on how close the vote is and the likelihood of the other side catching up. Case-by-case basis. If the vote is 30-1 and there's a quorum, expect an early close. If the vote's 30-29, though, play on.) (This may also go long if the Secretary-General is doing other things at the time of close. Consider 18 hours a polite suggestion.)

IF YOU ARE NEW AND WISH TO SIGN UP, PLEASE DO SO IN THE SIGNUPS THREAD WHERE I CAN MORE EASILY SEE IT.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    CURRENT AGENDA

ON THE DOCKET:
    Mongolian resolution (Resolution #8):
    With the recent events of the Russian Federation violating the sovereign borders of Georgia in an aggressive matter. The people of Mongolia hope this venerated assembly will both respond in an appropriate manner to condemn this act of aggression verse a sovereign nation.

Point: This assembly condemns the military action of the Russian Federation as an act of aggression verse a sovereign nation.

Point: This assembly and its member nations insist that the Russian Federation's military is removed from Georgia immediately.

Point: A cease fire is immediatly enforced between the government of Georgia and the separatist of South Ossetia. This will be enforced by a joint UN security force.

Point: The separatist movement in in South Ossetia and Georgian government go into negotiation through a third neutral party that is not a member of NATO nor attached to the Russian Federation.

If this resolution is passed but the affected parties do not agree or follow this assemblies recommendations then we agree that their is a possibility punitive measures verse that party such as sanctions.

OFF-SITE DISCUSSIONS:
    Take them to this Proboard. Hash out the text of resolutions there; keep this thread less cluttered.
    EU and NATO have a board as well: http://pamuneu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AGREED-UPON RESOLUTIONS:

Amended version of Azeri resolution (Resolution #1):
    *Anyone may submit a resolution, which then must be seconded by five people. First to five is the one we work on.
    *Once the nature of debate is agreed to, directly affected parties are alloted 300 words to state their case, and all other parties 100 words.
    *Parties may then yield their words to other parties as they see fit for a period of time determined by the Secretary General on a case-by-case basis. More yielding time will be given to more serious issues.
    *After the yielding period has ended, all parties with time may begin to argue using whatever time they have been allotted.
    *During arguing time, other parties may propose amendments, to be adopted or rejected by the proposing party. Other delegates may not debate them, but may express in what way, if any, the amendment will affect their vote.
    *Once words have expired or 24 hours have passed (whichever occurs first), voting will take place for a period of 18 hours. Majority rules. Yes in lime, no in red.

Amended version of Mexican resolution (Resolution #3):
    Resolution For The Financing of AIDS Research and the Distribution of Goods and Services for the Treatment of AIDS

Recognizing that HIV/AIDS is a global problem that demands a concerted global effort to erradicate.

Recognizing that there are vast differences in the ability for a country to provide for its own citizenry that is affected by this terrible affliction.

Stressing that it is in the common interest of all citizens that AIDS be erradicated.

Reminding that published data relating to this problem and reports on the attributes of the various member nations is available and useful, even if not perfect.

Let it be resolved:

Funds are to be collected from the member nations according to their ability to contribute while acknowledging that even though it is a global problem, every member nation has to be responsible to their own citizens first. (See appendix A.)

Those member nations unable to provide for themselves by demonstrating a PPP GDP that is below the average of the rest of the world, shall be provided goods and services in the amount according to their AIDS Prevelancy.

The funds collected will first go to those member nations with a demonstrated need. The funds will be used to purchase the necessary goods and services to treat AIDS. This includes but is not limited to: infrastructure (refridgeration equipment, clinic construction, etc.), medical supplies (medications, basic medical equipment, etc.), medical personnel and educational/prevention material and supplies.

The funds will be distributed first to those nations with the greatest demonstrated need, with each nation receiving no more than their calculated need. Remaining funds will be collected and then used for HIV/AIDS cure research. These monies will be distributed first to those who have contributed the greatest amounts, up to half of their contribution, with additional funds up that nations full contribution, matching AIDS cure research funds that nation has already allocated itself. If there are remaining funds after this distribution, then they will be distributed to those nations that provided the least, up to the full amount contributed, continuing from least contributed to most until all funds are exhausted.

The funds are to be collected annually, using the best available data at that time.

The collection of these funds, their distribution and their specific allocation will be overseen by a group of 9 member nations, 2 of which will be the highest contributing nations, 2 of which will be the nations with the greatest demonstrated need, 2 of which will be the least contributing nations, 2 of which will be nations with the least demonstrated need, and the final member nation which shall be appointed by the Secretary General.

The calculated needs and contributions will be done using the latest available data. The composition of the oversight group will be changed every 5 years based on the data at that time. In addition, the oversight group will be able to change the formula determining the Expected Contribution and Demonstrated need as they see fit, subject to General Assembly vote, once every 2 years.

Amended version of Canadian/American resolution (Resolution #4):
    Resolution to end human trafficking and rebel activities in the Central African Republic:
    Authors: Canada, United States of America

The General Assembly,

Recognizing that human trafficking is a human rights violation, and is a major problem in the Central African Republic,

Noting that Cameroonian rebels have recently invaded the Central African Republic city of Nola, capital of Sangha-Mbaere province, population 53,270, that 4,500 residents were captured and 1,400 killed,

Recognizing that Central Africa is not capable of keeping all of their border secure, and is preparing for war as an alternative,

Stressing that it is in the interest of all to end human trafficking, that war is a major cause of problems in Africa, and that the United Nations must begin to take these problems seriously,

Let it be resolved:

A United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic (UNCAR) will be established to keep border security and prevent the outbreak of war, working with the Central African government to end further human trafficking within their borders;

That a multilateral force of 20,000 be dispatched to resolve the situation with the Cameroonian rebels and their hostages and guard against the imminent outbreak of war between the Central African Republic and Cameroon;

That said force ensure the capture of the Cameroonian rebels and present them to the Cameroonian government to stand trial for their reprehensible actions;

That a standing force of 10,000 be deployed along Central Africa's borders with Cameroon and Democratic Republic of Congo to prevent any war and further incursion from either side (including 800 military observers);

That an additional force of 2,000 be deployed to assist the Central African government in preventing human trafficking within their borders;

That UNCAR will remain active for a period of at least ten (10) years to constantly monitor the situation and maintain order, and that it may have immediate access to additional forces or have its duration extended if the situation escalates;

That UNCAR may take the necessary action, in the areas of deployment of its infantry battalions, to protect UN personnel, facilities, installations and equipment, ensure the security and freedom of movement of its personnel, and to protect civilians under imminent threat of physical violence.

50% of the supplied forces will be from African Union member nations, but funded by the United Nations. The U.N. will also provide equipment and peace keeper training, as an investment against future instability in Africa and to improve border security.

Amended version of American resolution (Resolution #7):
    Noting that North Korea has threatened South Korea, a sovereign nation, and member nation of the UN, with nuclear bombardment,

Recognizing that North Korea has resorted to terrorist tactics to achieve their goals,

Stressing that acceding to terrorist threats only encourages others to achieve their goals through similar means,

Recognizing that the people of North Korea are mostly innocent of the sins of their leader,

Let it be resolved:

A strong sanction will be laid against North Korea, denying any concessions to any demands they might make while threatening another country;

UN Forces will be stationed around the borders of North Korea to prevent entry or exit into the country;

If North Korea makes the following concessions, the UN will provide an amount of food aid equal to what is recommended by the International Grains Council (IGC):

- Concession 1: Make a public apology for the extremely disruptive and horrific behavior exhibited on the part of their leaders in threatening a sovereign nation with nuclear annihilation, and pledge to refrain from such behavior in the future
    - Concession 2: Allow UN inspectors to enter the country to supervise the dismantling of their nuclear weapons and cooperate fully with their investigations

If North Korea agrees to these concessions and participates in them fully, then n addition to any food aid that is sent to North Korea, UN observers (or some other neutral 3rd party agreed to by North Korea) will ensure that the aid is distributed fairly to the North Korean citizens. If the North Korean government tries to interfere with this process or refuses any observers, then no food aid of any kind will be given to the country;

In the event that North Korea follows through on its nuclear threats, the United States will devote 100,000 soldiers to enabling the capture of Kim Jong Il and his advisors;

Once the capture of Kim Jong Il has been accomplished, he and his advisors will stand trial for war crimes, and the government will be replaced with one approved by the UN. Food aid will then be provided by the UN in an amount equal to what is recommended by the IGC

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    The Secretary General opens the floor to delegates, and suggests that the first resolution concern rules of debate.

Gosling on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    !Resolution:
    I PROPOSE MRMONROE'S IDEAS BE PUT FORTH IN CONSIDERATION FORTHWITH.
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The delegation from Iraq would like to propose a rules definition:

Any resolution must be submitted (once we have one) in the official PAUNGA thread. (!Resolution: <text>)

All delegations shall have equal speaking time allotted on any resolution.

Any resolution, thus submitted, may not be spoken for or against "in character" for twelve hours. During this time, any delegate may yield their time to any other delegate (!Yeild <resolution> <delegate>)

After twelve hours, delegates with allotted time may speak in whatever order they wish for any amount of time. (you can break up your time however you wish) (!Speak <argument>)

At any point, a speaker may propose an amendment or change to the resolution, though the original proposer has final say over whether it is acceptable. (!Amendment <change>) Communications not intended as argument are allowed, without tags, such as, "The delegation from Italy would happily vote for this resolution if the amendment proposed by the French delegation is accepted," so that folks without specific argument time can still let big players know that their acceptance of the amendment may make or break the passage of the resolution.

Once all delegates with time have spoken, yielded the remainder of their time, or are judged to be absent by the Secretary General, voting commences. All delegates shall have one vote, not transferable. Voting shall remain open for 18 hours. (!Vote <yea/nay>)

Works? Suggestions? How much speaking time per delegate? Seems like 150 words each might be enough, considering a discussion over N. Korean relations with S. Korea will probably not involve Brazil, who is likely to yield time to one of the two sides.
    The way Niceguy Myeye has explained things to me is thus:

*Everyone will want to speak. That's usually what happens.
    *But I personally, as Secretary General, cannot recognize everyone or else we'll never get shit done. So I only recognize a certain number of people.

So here's what we'll do.
    *If you want to opt out of a debate, say so.
    *Everyone will get 200 words (nice round number, easy to work with).
    *I'll pick out the affected parties in a certain issue, plus maybe some random others. Those are the recognized speakers.
    *Everyone else hands off their words to the recognized speakers at their leisure. Speakers attempt to wrangle as many words as they can.
    *Debate, using those words.
    *When the words are all gone, voting!

Was that explained in a PM or something? I don't see it here. I think it would be best if even the rules of the "game" are open to resolution and appeal. Questions:

You're seriously going to personally recognize someone every time they want to speak? Why not let everyone choose whether they have their say or transfer their time? Individual recognition kind of makes it necessary for you to be checking the thread every three minutes, doesn't it? I'll also say, no offense, I don't think you should have the power to say "you can't speak on this issue." Not that you would choose bad people, but I think it would work better a little more organically.

200 seems a little much, as was said before, that comes out to 10k words for the 50 people currently participating. How about 100 each and 300 for directly concerned parties? A push by my delegation to bring the US and Britain to the PAUNSC over a SOFA would mean the US, UK, and my delegation would get 300 words each to start and all others would have 100 to use or abdicate as they saw fit.

What we're going to need here is a basic ruleset like the one I proposed, to which any person can propose an amendment. Once it's workable, we post it at the top of the PAUNGA thread and start voting from there.

EDIT: I forgot to think about adoption of debate and stuff like that. I would propose that no two resolutions can be up for debate at one time, but that in order to be considered for debate and voting, a motion or resolution must be !seconded <resolution> by five other delegations before it is adopted by the assembly. If you get three !seconded's, but someone else's resolution is adopted first, you'll only need two more !seconded's to have your resolution adopted after the current debate ends.

!AmendmentI WOULD ALSO LIKE TO AMEND TO THIS PROPOSAL THE OFFICIAL RECOGNITION OF AZERI LANDS AS INDICATED BY MY MAP.
    Azerbaijan.jpg

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    His Holiness of the Holy See will agree to second the honorable Azerbaijani delegation's proposal only if the people of the land currently referred to as Armenia remain free to practice Christianity without persecution, oppression or unfair treatment.

In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritu sancti.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I could not accept an amendment that absorbs the sovereign states of Georgia and Armenia.

I am working on a resolution right now.

Also, here is a sample resolution for all to see.

James on
    edited July 2008
    THE AZERI DELEGATION RECOGNIZES THE IMPORTANCE OF ALL MODERN NATIONS' RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE FREEDOM OF RELIGION, AND WELCOMES ALL WHO COME TOGETHER TO WORSHIP PEACEFULLY.

edit: I SEE YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND A MAP SIR.

Malkor on
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Australian Delegation would like to remind the Delegation from the Vatican that His Holiness the Pope is currently attending World Youth Day in Australia

We appreciate your relations, but know that if any sort of religious bigotry is instigated from His Holiness or indeed any visiting Catholic pilgrim we will have words

Edit: The Delegate from Australia also does not accept the Azerbaijani proposal

TrueHereticX on
    edited July 2008
    So let me give the Iraqi- or technically, Azerbaijani- proposal a bit of a rewrite so it looks nice:

*Once the nature of debate is agreed to, directly affected parties are alloted 300 words to state their case, and all other parties 100 words.
    *Parties may then yield their words to other parties as they see fit for a period of 12 hours. No actual debate may take place during this time.
    *After the yielding period has ended, all parties with time may begin to argue using whatever time they have been allotted.
    *During arguing time, other parties may propose amendments, to be adopted or rejected by the proposing party. Other delegates may not debate them, but may express in what way, if any, the amendment will affect their vote.
    *Once words (or a reasonable period of time) has expired, voting will take place for a period of 18 hours. Majority rules.

Does that look right?

Gosling on
  • MusiquaMusiqua Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Much like Canada, Sweden do not accept the proposed amendment from the ambassador from Azerbaijan, as the amendment has no relevance to the main topic of discussion. We do, however, support the basic idea of the underlying resolution.

EDIT: Sweden supports the rewritten resolution.

Musiqua on
    edited July 2008
    His Holiness, having realized that He has been duped, withdraws the possibility of a second to the honorable Azerbaijani delegation's proposal. The Holy See will not recognize the absorption of the sovereign state of Georgia.

His Holiness could live with Armenia's absorption because really, who gives a fuck about the Armenians?

In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritu sancti. (Jesu Christe, it's getting old typing that every time :x)

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So let me give the Iraqi- or technically, Azerbaijani- proposal a bit of a rewrite so it looks nice:

*Parties may then yield their words to other parties as they see fit for a period of 12 hours. No actual debate may take place during this time.
    *Once words (or a reasonable period of time) has expired, voting will take place for a period of 18 hours. Majority rules.

Does that look right?

Will amendments need to be approved by the person who proposed the original resolution, or can it be carried or defeated by 5 seconds?

thanimations on
    edited July 2008
    Original proposer has final say, it says.

Malkor, does my rewrite look right? (Let's skip the Armenia stuff for this and just focus on debating rules.)

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    His Holiness could live with Armenia's absorption because really, who gives a fuck about the Armenians?
    WOW, I MEAN. WOW I WAS JUST GONNA SAY THAT!!

YOUR INTERPRETATION IS ACCEPTABLE MR. SECRETARY. AND I MUST SAY YOU LOOK RATHER HANDSOME TODAY

Malkor on
    edited July 2008
    His Holiness of the Holy See will agree to the honorable Secretary General's rewrite.

In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritu sancti.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JohnProctorJohnProctor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Syrian Delegation supports the resolution as proposed by Azerbaijan.

Syria also supports the amendment restoring Azerbaijan to its full territorial claims, but recognizes that the issue is best left for a later resolution.

JohnProctor on
    3dflags_syr0001-000ea.gif Syrian Delegation to PA United Nations
    edited July 2008
    That's three by my count, Sweden, Syria and Vatican City.

Gosling on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan supports the amendment to the procedures as described above.

Also, have you seen our kings? Totally awesome.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Delegation from Australia supports the amended resolution

TrueHereticX on
    edited July 2008
    That's five. The Azerbaijani resolution is going to go on the docket.

Debate it as you wish, yield, what you will. (Or if you want, we could just suspend the rules as this is getting rather lopsided. That means we just skip debate and go straight to the vote.

Yes, I just quoted US Congress rules and have no idea if the UN does that too. It sounded good.)

Gosling on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The People's Republic sees wisdom in the amendment.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2008
    !Speak
    I feel that these debating rules are clear, concise, and straightforward. In addition, MrMonroe's (IRAQ) color scheme is easy on the eyes and should make identifying the relevant information easy. In particular I think that “!Speak” will help keep germane discussion of resolutions from being confused with regular claptrap.

Malkor on
  • JohnProctorJohnProctor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    just skip debate and go straight to the vote.

JohnProctor on
    3dflags_syr0001-000ea.gif Syrian Delegation to PA United Nations
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The People's Republic sees wisdom in the amendment.

Taiwan disagrees out of principle

also, the lack of any mention of dance-offs makes it unacceptable

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Her Majesties representative motions (God, I can't remember if this was from MUN or Model Congress) that we move to vote on the proposed procedural resolutions.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited July 2008
    That's two motions to just vote already. Let's go ahead and ask for five on this too.

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    Delegate from Australia motioning for a vote

TrueHereticX on
    edited July 2008
    INCOMING RESOLUTION

General Assembly
    Sponsors: Canada
    Signatories:
    Topic: Creating the rules of debate in the General Assembly

The General Assembly,

Noting that 200 words is the current allotment for each country to debate with, and that this allotment is good,

Noting that not all states have an official stance on all issues and that many may opt out of debate depending on the issue and it's effect,

Reminding that collitions may form to compound speaking time regardless of whether countries are on the Speaking List or not,

Reminding that states lie in different time zones so that long times may be required between yielding, debating, and voting periods,

Stressing that all states retain respect and sovereignty and that all states are equal within the United Nations General Assembly,

1. Calls for equal opportunity for states to express their concerns during debate, at the request of being included on the Speaking List;

2. Requests that states be allowed to join the Speaking List at any time during the debate, as the debate progresses;

3. Encourages any member to submit a resolution to the General Assembly, which will be debated after it recieves five Signatories, regardless of the number of Sponsors it has, Sponsors being defined as the principal authors of a resolution who agree with it's substance, Signatories being defined as countries that may or may not agree with the substance of the resolution but still wish to see it debated so that they can propose amendments;

4. Stresses that only Sponsors may agree to an immediate resolution amendment, but in the case of a disagreement a vote will be called on the amendment before a vote is called on the resolution;

5. Stresses that the Secretary General must signal the start of a yielding period in which states can talk amoung themselves and trade speaking time and formulate arguments which will last for a period of 12 hours, and then signal the start of the resolution debate, when debate of the resolution and proposal of ammendments will occur, to keep the Agenda in order;

6. Stresses that, once all words have been used or a period of 24 hours passes, whichever comes first, debate will end and voting will take place for a period of 18 hours, with a majority of over but not equal to 50% winning the vote;

7. Requests that "YES" votes be bolded in lime, and that "NO" votes be bolded in red.

---

I haven't thought about color coding or format aside from voting, and this is open to ammendment. Will this get put on the agenda?

James on
    edited July 2008
    The Secretary General recognizes that Canada got beat to a figurative pulp by Azerbaijan.

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    The Secretary General recognizes that Canada got beat to a figurative pulp by Azerbaijan.

My resolution is better, nyeh

James on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think we should vote in more than one of these.

I'm just remembering that time we tried to play Nomic.

Maybe some language should be added as amendments making them mutually exclusive?

Daedalus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As the duly appointed representative of the great and illustrious nation of Monaco I pledge my support to the standing resolution and would invite the Canadian delegation to join me in a toast of syrup covered flapjacks towards Azerbaijan's proposal.

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    Azerbaijan's resolution is the currently recognized one. We'll only be recognizing one resolution at a time.

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    In that case, waiting twelve hours between resolution introduction and debate, as the Az resolution calls for, seems excessive.

Daedalus on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Delegate from Latvia motioning for a vote.

thanimations on
    edited July 2008
    I move to amend Section 3 of the resolution, striking "12 hours" and replacing it with "6 hours".

Daedalus on
    edited July 2008
    Recognizing that people sleep for 8 hours and may not live in the time zones needed to participate sometimes, Azerbaijan, do you accept or reject Finland's amendment?

Gosling on
    edited July 2008
    Really, the time debating has no fixed constraints in the proposal, only the time spent dickering over who has how many words to speak.

Daedalus on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the interest of sleep, as well as the process of moving the thread forward in all deliberate speed I move that we consider amending the allowable number of resolutions to be held on the floor at one time to two (2). These shall be so distinguished by the use of a resolution numbering system or through the use of graphical alteration of the text.

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    I move to amend Azerbaijan's resolution with Canada's proposed resolution, to fill in the gaps not covered by Azerbaijan's resolution but not changing that which is covered, for a more complete resolution.

James on