As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Suikoden: Episode 24 - The End

SchideSchide Yeoh!Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
So once upon a time I had this crazy idea of LPing all of the Suikoden games in order, well, at least the main series. This was more of a joke than anything serious because I said I wanted to do video LPs of them. Since that was a joke and would have been wretched, I didn’t think much about it. Lately however, after reading more screenshot LPs, I have come to believe that I want to do a screenshot of the entire series, seeing as how I was going to play through them this summer anyway. That might be a tad overly ambitious however, so I’ll just start off with the first game and see how it goes. So comments and criticisms, etc, I won’t be doing anything special, just commenting and explaining things about the game and cracking jokes and whatnot. Also I can easily post videos of boss fights or anything else interesting, so there’s that. Description time.

Suikoden_US.jpg

Ew, yeah, I don’t know why they made this the NA cover, it’s pretty damn ugly.

suikoden.gif

Better

Suikoden was an RPG that was released for the PSX in December of 1996 in North America after being released in Japan a year earlier. I was probably released in PAL format for Europe and such later, but I don’t really care. Hey let’s save some time and get a brief description from Wikipedia:
The Suikoden series is loosely based on a classical Chinese novel, Shui Hu Zhuan (Traditional Chinese: 水滸傳; Simplified Chinese: 水浒传; Hanyu Pinyin: Shuǐhǔ Zhuàn, Water Margin), by Shi Naian and Luo Guanzhong. Shui Hu Zhuan is rendered as 水滸伝 in Japanese, and read as Suikoden. Each game centers around relative themes of politics, corruption, revolution, mystical orbs known as True Runes, and the "108 Stars of Destiny" — 108 protagonists also very loosely interpreted from the source material. Though the games follow an irregular chronological sequence, the entire series takes place within the same world among overlapping histories. In some cases, several characters appear in multiple installations.

Sensational. Ok well that talks about the series as a whole, here are some specifics about the first game.

Being an early PSX title, Suikoden thankfully forewent the ugly, blocky polygonal graphics of the time (I’m looking at you, Wild Arms) and went primarily with a simple extension of classic 16 bit era sprites, with of course smoother animation, more frames, and all that nice stuff. As in most RPGs, the combat in mainly laid out in a turn based format, similar to Dragon Quest where you input your party’s moves and they perform them, then the enemy side takes its turn, and so on. We’ll get into the specifics later. Another feature of the entire Suikoden series is that in addition to normal battles which take up the majority of the game, there are also two other types of battles, duels and army battles, which again will be looked at more in depth when the time comes. Ok, good enough.

The first Suikoden’s protagonist is this guy:

tirmcdohl01.gif

He has a bandanna and a bo staff. His name in canon is Tir McDohl, but you can change his first name if you want. I did not because lazy. Also, those transparencies are ugly.

You’ll meet plenty of more characters in the coming whenevers.

One more thing, please tag all storyline spoilers for this game and further games until after I actually get to them. Thanks.

Episode 1 - Support Your Local Emperor

Episode 2 - Astronomy Domine

Episode 3 - The Beltway Bandits

Episode 4 - Run Like Hell

Episode 5 - The Village Green Preservation Society

Episode 6 - Mountain Jam

Episode 7 - Tumbling Dice

Episode 8 - Castles Made of Sand

Episode 9 - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Episode 10 - Dogs

Episode 11 - Stealing Stealing

Episode 12 - Life During Wartime

Episode 13 - Infrared Roses

Episode 14 - Jailhouse Rock

Episode 15 - Deserted Cities of the Heart

Episode 16 - Interlude

Episode 17 - Cavern

Episode 18 - Windy

Episode 19 - Vampire Blues

Episode 20 - Sleepy Time Time

Episode 21 - Is This Cloud Valley

Episode 22 - Rescue Rangers

Episode 23 - Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Episode 24 - The End

Schide on

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Episode 1 – Support Your Local Emperor
    Opening Cinematic Vimeo

1-1-1.jpg

Yeah, we’re naming him Tir. I mean, I could have a vote or something to name him, but he’s the only character you can name and since I’m doing a bit of the game before I make the thread it just doesn’t work out. Sorry!

1-2.jpg

It may look like Tir’s has green hair with purple highlights, but that’s just his bandanna. His green and purple bandanna. His hair is black as can be sort of seen on his sprite and more clearly seen in his character portrait and in artwork.

1-3.jpg

We’ll be seeing this loading screen a lot. Well, I mean, I will, but you won’t…and the character who is running changes sometimes, so I won’t keep seeing this exact screen but…well you get the point.

1-4.jpg

Boom, the game starts you out right smack dab in some kinda room with a rug and like…cabinets or something. And a man! Let us see who he is.

1-5.jpg

1-6.jpg

1-7.jpg

Maid - “Teo McDohl, General of the Imperial Army and his son Tir McDohl, here an audience with the Emperor.”

Of course, he’s Tir’s father. Makes sense.

I won’t be screen capping every single piece of dialogue, because that would be insane. I’ll be transcribing a lot of the more minor dialogue, and then just skipping unimportant dialogue. Also, I’ll be including a bit from the instruction manual about each character as they are introduced.

Hero (Tir): Son of Teo McDohl, one of the five imperial Generals and hero of the game

Teo Mcdohl (42): Father of the hero. The Emperor’s most trustworthy general.

1-8.jpg

Barbarosa?

51SZATVM20L_SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anyway, here’s the Emperor himself, Barbarosa Rugner. I don’t remember if his last name is ever mentioned in the game, but that’s it. Also, note the lack of red hair, or even a beard of any kind. In the instruction manual he is referred to as Barbarossa, so the shortened name in the game is due to the limited number of characters available in names.
    Barbarossa (52): Seventeenth emperor of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Hero of the war for succession to the throne, he is called the Golden Emperor.

1-9.jpg

1-10.jpg

1-11.jpg

Windy will play an important role in the game. She has a ponytail.
    Windy (?): The Imperial Magician. It is said that in her charming features traces can be seen of the Emperor’s dead wife Claudia.

1-12.jpg

1-13.jpg

Minister (Be he Sinister or not) – “Our disputes with the United City-States of Jowstone are complicated, but with General McDohl in charge, we can rest assured.”

So Mr. McDohl is charged with protected the northern border against some opposing force that certainly won’t come into play the rest of this game. Surely there is something that the Emperor can bestow upon Teo to make him that much more formidable!

1-14.jpg

Barbarosa – “I would like you to have it. Take it with you.”

1-15.jpg

…Prakk? That’s a…fine name for a sword. It surely is that and not silly in the least.

1-16.jpg

Barbarosa – “You have my blessings. Good luck, Teo. So you’re Teo’s boy, Tir. Quite an impressive little countenance.”
    Hey, it’s not that little! Oh, you said countenance, I thought you said…um, nevermind, go on.
    Barbarosa – “Listen, Tir. Would you be willing to give the Empire a helping hand while your father is protecting the northern border?”

1-17.jpg

Screw you, Slappy McPuplecape!
    There are a number of these pseudo choices in the game, but none of them actually affect the story. Except for maybe a couple, I forget.

1-18.jpg

Ha, got away with it due my awesome countenance once again!

Barbarosa – “Someday, you will follow the path of your own choosing. But for now, you have a great deal to learn from me. Plenty of time for freedom later.”

Foreshadowtastic.

Teo – “Thank you for your kind words, Your Highness.”

Minister –“Commander Kraze of the Imperial Guard will be Master Tir’s superior.”

He sells used cars on the side, you might have seen one of his commercials. That one with the baby seal always brings a tear to my eye, and a laugh to my mouth.

1-19.jpg

Hey baby, you’re not too bad yourself. Want to come to my place later so I can see what’s under that, uh, shawl? I guess. No? Your loss.

Teo – “We had better be going, Your Highness.”

Barbarosa – “I’m relying on you, Teo. And Tir, I hope your efforts will surpass your father’s.”

1-20.jpg

And with that we are ushered out from the oppressive stare of his Royal Moustache.

We can walk around the castle a bit now, let’s go talk this oddly out of place Arabic-looking man.

1-21.jpg

I can’t have children myself, owing to an unfortunate incident in the war involving a very sharp knife and very hungry dog.

Kasim Hazil (43): One of the five Imperial Generals. His skill with a sword is said to exceed that of the Emperor himself. He is called Blue Moon Kasim.

1-22.jpg

That’s Kraze on the left. He’s Kah-raaaaaa…eh.

1-23.jpg

Kraze – “What’s your name? Tir? I couldn’t care less if you’re the son of a great general. You’ll get no special treatment from me, you understand?”

Unless you buy one of my super value ’56 models at the low, low price of 100000 bits? What, your allowance is only 5 bits a week? Piss off then, you little mutant.

Kraze – “Now go on home. Work begins tomorrow. Report here first thing in the morning.

Teo – “Did you introduce yourself? I must admit, I’m quite surprised you’ve been assigned to such a weakling, but… Well, let’s get going. Gremio must be worried sick.”

Ah, Gremio must be Tir’s mother. Or…other father? Hey why not.

1-24.jpg

And we’re forcibly pulled out of the castle and past the blurred background that the capture device can’t render properly when you’re moving.

1-25.jpg

Which puts us right in the middle of the bustling capital city of Gregminster, wife of Eastminster, cousin of Westminster. The game pulls us from the entrance of town into the McDohl household, which is actually more of a commune, as you’ll soon see.

1-26.jpg

Oh I see. Manservant.

Gremio (27): A childhood friend of the hero, whom he is always worried about.

Wait, Tir is supposed to be like 15, so that means…something I don’t want to think about, actually.

Gremio – “Were you nervous in front of the Emperor? I was soooo worried. But I guess everything went fine. “

Teo – “You shouldn’t worry so much Gremio.”

Gremio – “Oh! Master Teo… I didn’t notice you at all.”

Teo – “Didn’t notice me? Good grief. The only one you seem to care about is Tir.”

And thus we begin to see Gremio’s somewhat unhealthy obsession with the ‘Young Master’ (Jackie Chan not included). How unhealthy? We’ll just have to find out.

1-27.jpg

Ted, of course. Yes, Ted, my…faithful…person whose name is Ted. That I certainly have any recollection of. That Ted.

1-28.jpg

1-29.jpg

Hearing that Gremio is making his godawful stew again, Teo hightails it the hell out of there.

1-30.jpg

Aha, this person (woman apparently) with the forehead armor and ridiculously high collar has a character portrait. They (she?) must be important!

Cleo (28): A servant of Teo McDohl who is like an older sister to the hero.

Vaguerrific. Also her sprite looks almost nothing like her portrait, which I always found disconcerting.

Cleo – “Oh well, you can be forgiven if it’s my room, I suppose. So how was your audience with the Emperor? Were you nervous?”

Not nervous, the Emperor is actually a pretty nice guy. I hope we can be good friends someday.

1-31.jpg

Aw, he’s sleeping.

1-32.jpg

Let’s drop a filth encrusted rat on his face.

1-33.jpg

He asks about our audience with the Emperor.

Pahn (29): A servant and hanger-on of Teo McDohl. Serious by nature. A heavy eater.

Um, all right.

1-34.jpg

1-35.jpg

Don’t worry, he likes it.

1-36.jpg

Eh, let him make his stew. Let’s head upstairs and see what kinds of other crazy persons we can encounter.

1-37.jpg

Ted – “Let’s go up to your room, ok? Tell me all about the Emperor, right now!”

Who are you and why are you in my house? Ted? Oh yeah, Gremio mentioned you. Let’s go, maybe you can tell me who you are and why I should care.

1-38.jpg

This is message you get whenever someone joins your party temporarily. We’ll be getting a different message later, for the most part.

1-39.jpg

Oh yeah, here’s the menu. You have what you see, Item, Strength (status), Rune, Formation, Equipment, Setup. All fairly self-explantory.

1-40.jpg

1-41.jpg

Tir’s and Ted’s stats screens.

EXP is experience, basically you gain a level everytime you get 1000 EXP. The enemies are worth different amounts based on their level compared to yours. It’s actually pretty easy to level up someone from a very low level to a high one in a limited number of battles, depending on the enemy level.
    ATK is attack power factoring in weapons, while PWR is a characters base attack without including in the weapon stats.
    AMR is defense rating based on armor and shields and whatnot. DEF is base defensive power.
    SKL is like accuracy and evasion combined.
    SPD affects the order of attack.
    MGC is for magic attack power and how quickly the spell goes off after you select to use it.
    LUK luck and affects criticals and also evasion.
    Under those stats is the weapon a character holds and its level. We’ll get into later.
    Then under that is HP, rune attacks and current level.

1-42.jpg

We’ll change the text to fast while we’re here.

1-43.jpg

Ted – “I owe so much to Master Teo, who adopted me when I was an orphan, and I want to return the favor, OK?(Reply, ‘Gee, I dunno.’) Please, I want to work for the Imperial Guard too. Oh please… (Reply Of course.) Great! I knew you were a good friend!”

You would have thought I’d remember my father adopting an orphan, but you’re just so gosh darned nondescript I probably thought you were a chimney sweep or something. What the hell, you can come. At the very least I can use you as a meat shield.

Ted – “Now for more important matters. What kind of man was the Emperor? And tell me about Windy, the Court Magician. Was she beautiful? Come on, tell me everything.”

Well, the Emperor had a giant moustache and a sword with a stupid name. Windy was pretty hot, and I think she was coming onto me. Next time in the castle I should follow up on that…oh yeah, hot shawl action.

Ted – “I am sure I would like to see Windy in person. Hey Tir… I really don’t know how to tell you this, but…ummm…”

OBVIOUS COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET JOKE

1-44.jpg

Ted – “Say Tir there’s something I want to tell you. Can you keep a secret?”

Ted – “Can you promise not to tell anyone what I’m about to tell you?”

I promise not to tell anyone until dinner.

1-45.jpg

OK tell me now so I can go tell the rest of the Co-op so we can all laugh at you!

Ted – “Hey, it’s time to eat. Let’s go, Tir. We can talk some other time

Awwwww.

1-46.jpg

Teo – “Tomorrow morning I must travel north. Tir will be responsible for the household in my absence. I’d like you all to give him full support. Gremio?”

Gremio – “Y-y-yes…sir.”

Teo – “You’ve taken care of Tir since he was a baby. Thanks to your efforts. He’s grown into a fine youth. I’m grateful to you. “

Gremio – “But sir, I, this is my job, an-and besides, serving Young Master is a pleasure for me, too…”

Teo – “I’m glad to hear it. I hope you continue to watch over him. Cleo, Pahn, I’m counting on you two as well to help and protect.”

Cleo – “Yes, Master Teo.”

Pahn – “Of course, eir. Leave it to us.”

Teo – “And Ted, I hope you’ll always be a good friend to Tir.”

Ted – “I’d do so even if you said otherwise, Sir. Right, Tir?”

Teo – “Enough talk. Let’s eat before the food gets cold. Let’s raise out glasses. To my son. To the Empire.”

Joking aside, this is a nice little scene that sets up a lot of character interaction later in the story, especially two certain emotional events.

Later that night…

1-47.jpg

Gremio – “Shall I wake him up?”

Teo – “Let him sleep. It’s not as if we’ll never meet again. Gremio, take good care of him, won’t you?”

Gremio – “I will, Master Teo.”

After that dialogue which does not foreshadow anything, Gremio wakes up Tir in the morning, reminding him of his appointment with Kraze. Gremio, Pahn and Cleo prceed to join your entourage. As does Ted again. Let’s see some more stats.

1-48.jpg

1-49.jpg

1-50.jpg

So, now we can finally wander around town a little bit before we meet up with Kraze. Let’s walk uninvited into some peoples’ houses.

1-51.jpg

1-52.jpg

1-53.jpg

Man, all the ladies are hitting on Tir. Sonya is another of the five Imperial Generals. Who doesn’t have a manual entry.

1-54.jpg

Here we find the rune shop, and to the left is the armor shop. Nothing in the rune shop yet, so let’s go and buy some armor.

1-55.jpg

When you select an piece of armor, a character’s name will change color depending on if the armor is of a high or lower value than what they have equipped. Right now I can’t afford that much, so I just go with a headband and leather coat, both to equip on Tir. I sell the stuff he had on before.

1-56.jpg

Medicine and Antidotes and the like come in packs, each character can only hold a few items at a time, so that’s a nice thing to have.

1-57.jpg

This is an Appraiser. We don’t have anything to appraise yet so it’s useless at the moment.

1-58.jpg

This house has a fuckton of wardobes. Let’s ransack it!

1-59.jpg

1-60.jpg

1-61.jpg

…so I’m guessing a woman at least lives here.

1-62.jpg

Gotta be a woman.

1-63.jpg

Please dear god let it be a woman.

1-64.jpg

Wstfgl

Well hey let’s go meet him why not.

1-65.jpg

1-66.jpg

Oh dear.

By the way, meet another one of the five generals, Milich Oppenheimer.

All right, that’s it. Time to end this and go save. You can save any inns and at save points.

1-67.jpg

Huh, this innkeeper has a name and a portrait. I wonder if she will be important later!

Ok, that’s episode one. Holy shit that was long. Next one won’t be so heavy on plot, I think. Certainly not on introduction of stuff. We might even fight a battle or two!
    Tell me how you think I could do this better. There’s a chance I might listen to you. Also, let me know if there’s anything you specifically want to do in the game. The next few bits are already done, so suggest things for a bit later. I’ll probably make videos of boss battles, but let me know if you don’t want for some reason.

Next update: Knights and Dragons and Seers

Schide on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this is one of my favorite games ever

be funny or I'll slit your throat

Javen on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you meant it was released in 1996, not 2006. :)

They probably changed the cover because they thought westerners would be frightened by the large eyes. How times have changed.

admanb on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is not a blue dot post!

Give me some LP!

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love you so much. Suikoden is my favorite RPG series and this game brought so much joys to me when I bought it on a whim.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That box art is awesome.

Dan Akroyd is a magical elf!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm serious

proceed with caution

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    admanb wrote: »

They probably changed the cover because they thought westerners would be frightened by the large eyes. How times have changed.

Ah, thanks.

First portion is up. I don't know if my funny will be up to Javen's standards, but it's about the best I can do.

Oh hell, I forgot to put no spoilers stuff in the OP.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well say, it seems I don't know how to edit the thread title. Little help?

Schide on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Suikoden is an awesome series and I endorse this LP fully.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Use the advanced edit and change the title from there.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    admanb wrote: »

Ah, thanks.

First portion is up. I don't know if my funny will be up to Javen's standards, but it's about the best I can do.

Oh hell, I forgot to put no spoilers stuff in the OP.

Good stuff, although I think it'd be better with more humorous summation of dialogue and less direct transcribing of it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

Use the advanced edit and change the title from there.

Got it, thanks.
    Good stuff, although I think it'd be better with more humorous summation of dialogue and less direct transcribing of it.

Yeah, I realized after I finished the first update that this way too much too long and probably wasn't necessary. I will definitely be condensing more in future updates. Which won't exactly be every day because these things still take hours to do.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh hey, nothing to see here. No way is this a ninja edit. Nope.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Great work, can't wait to read more!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Episode 2 – Astronomy Domine
    2-01.jpg

Get em, kitty!

Oh right, game. Nothing to do now except go talk to Kraze.

2-02.jpg

Now for your first assignment. Listen carefully, because I’ll only tell you once. Northeast of Gregminster lies the Magician’s Island. Leknaat the Seer lives there. She has been commissioned to look into the stars. Go there and bring me her results. Are you listening? Tell me where the Magician’s Island is.

Huh, whazzat? Were you talking? I couldn’t stop thinking about how you managed to shape a bucket of oil and wear it on your head.

2-03.jpg

Kraze – “Don’t think you can treat me like a fool just because you’re the son of a great general. Keep acting up and you’ll be sorry.Heh. Here are the rest of your instructions. There is no boat to Magician’s Island, but I’ve arranged for a Dragon Knight from the Knights of the Dragon’s Den to take you there. You’ll find him in front of the barn.”

Huh? Knight? Dragon? Dragon Knight? DEN? Woo hoo. Wait, barn? Where are we, Kansas?

Kraze –“The dragon will transport you to the island. By the way, Leknaat the Seer is the younger sister of Court Magician Windy, so you’d better behave yourself.”

Younger sister, eh? Methinks this might bode well for a certain guy with a great countenance, if you know what I mean.

2-04.jpg

So we head outside and the crew talks a bit about the mission, Pahn is disappointed at the apparent lack of excitement, but Cleo assures him that the astrological results are important. Gremio is glad at the lack of danger, and Ted is excited to meet a Dragon Knight. So we head directly east from here to meet…

2-05.jpg

…this punk. Everyone is disappointed at the punkishness of the Dragon Knight

2-06.jpg

See? Let’s talk to the punk.

2-07.jpg

2-08.jpg

2-09.jpg

2-10.jpg

Um, not really. And he sounds exactly like an elephant. You sure you checked out his genealogy before you bought him?

2-11.jpg

Ted is not impressed.

2-12.jpg

2-13.jpg

Wait, what were going to say, Ted? That sounded potentially plot related if you ask me.

Everyone gets on the basket on Black’s back and they fly away.

2-14.jpg

2-15.jpg

And land on Magician’s Island. I detect a notable lack of magicians. After the landing, Futch lets you know to talk to him if you want to go back to Gregminster. While we’re walking, the screen opens up to the game’s first battle.

2-16.jpg

If I wanted to bother I could make an animated gif using this that would be more than a little unsettling.

2-17.jpg

So here’s the main battle screen. You can see that battles are fought in a ¾ isometric view. In the upper left corner we’ve got our battle choices, upper right are enemy names, and on the bottom is our party and their stats.

Fight is what you do to get to the attack/defend and whatnot selections. Run is running from battle with only a chance to succeed. With Bribe you can pay enemies bits to let you escape, it’s not very useful. Free Will is auto attack, everyone just attacks. Quickly.

2-18.jpg

So we select the Attack option and now we cycle through out characters and select what each will do this round. Both enemies and your party attack at the same time, with the order of attack based on each entity’s speed. The options are Attack, Defend, Rune which is basically magic, Item, and Unite. Unite is a great option, as it allows 2 or more party members to combine their attacks into a devastating blow, resulting in varying amounts of damage and effects to the enemies and party. We’ll be using this a lot. At the moment we have one character, Pahn, who has a rune we can use, the Boar Rune. We also have a unite attack with Gremio and Pahn.

2-19.jpg

So this round we’ll attack with most of the party and show off the Boar Rune. You can see attack animations and the battle flow in the upcoming boss battle.

2-20.jpg

The Boar rune lets Pahn attack an enemy with a series of devastating punches and kicks and finishes with an uppercut, this deals about twice the normal damage, but afterward Pahn is Unbalanced and can’t act next round.

2-21.jpg

Fortunately the battle is over and there isn’t a next round. After battles you get exp and bits, the currency of Suikoden before it was changed to potch.

Nothing important happens for awhile, we find a pair of chests with medicine and a leather coat which we give to Pahn. One annoying thing about this game is item management. Each character has a set number of item slots that are mostly taken up with equipped items. There is no party inventory. Each new item you acquire goes to the first free slot in your party, so when we got the leather coat it went to Tir’s inventory, so we had to go into his inventory and give it to Pahn before he could equip it.

2-22.jpg

We meet one new enemy, the Furfur, and kill some of them. We also gain a couple of levels to go to level 3. We then meet this fellow.

2-23.jpg

Boss battle time! Vimeo (Sorry about the hisses and clicks in this and other videos. It's coming in like that with the Gamebridge and I can't seem to be able to fix it. :/)

Well that was easy. Afterward we go north a bit and find Leknaat’s humble abode. And by humble abode I mean giant ass tower.

2-24.jpg

Well, let’s go in and climb the damn thing

2-25.jpg

2-26.jpg

2-26.jpg

2-26.jpg

Finally

2-27.jpg

*wheeze* Ok, you must must be Leknaat. *hack* You really need to get an elevator installed here, lady. *spasm* I mean, come on. Oh, elevators haven’t been invented yet. *cough* Hopefully someone will invent the damn things soon. *vomit lungs*

2-28.jpg

2-29.jpg

Tir has been hit on by nearly every female in the game so far. What is it about him that attracts to women so. Is it his incredible countenance? His rockin' green and purple bandanna? Or maybe his long, hard wooden staff? The one he hits monsters with, silly. The world may never know.

Leknaat beckons out intrepid adventurer to follow her up into her private enclave, where she’ll “give” him the “astrological” “projections” if you know what I mean.

2-30.jpg

2-31.jpg

Hey, watch those hands, Tir.

She asks for Tir’s name, and then gives him some prophetic words.

2-32.jpg

2-33.jpg

2-34.jpg

2-35.jpg

Well shit.

2-36.jpg

2-37.jpg

She then gives Tir the Astral Conclusions and bids him adieu, hoping that they’ll meet again.

2-38.jpg

Oh Ted, so naïve.

The crew decides to head back now that their mission is finished in the hope that Futch will not capriciously abandon them on the island. Leknaat steps in and summons Luc.

2-39.jpg

2-40.jpg

So I guess this is payback for trying to kill us I guess.

2-41.jpg

Leknaat gives Cleo a Fire crystal (rune), which is put in Tir’s inventory for whatever reason.

Luc teleports everybody back to the shore with his Wind rune. Except Ted, where is…

2-42.jpg

2-43.jpg

Oh, there you are. Hurry up and get on the dragon or we’re leaving you.

The party flies back to Gregminster and says goodbye to Futch. Futch decides to stay for a bit and sightsee.

2-44.jpg

This will not end well.

The party goes back to Kraze to update him.

2-45.jpg

Jeez, we were only gone for like 15 minutes, don’t be an ass, ass. Also, a member of a marching band is now standing behind Kraze. Kraze says we’re not useless and prepares to give us our next assignment. Which leads into this sequence.

2-46.jpg

2-47.jpg

2-48.jpg

2-49.jpg

2-50.jpg

2-51.jpg

2-52.jpg

2-53.jpg

2-54.jpg

2-55.jpg

2-56.jpg

2-57.jpg

2-58.jpg

2-59.jpg

2-60.jpg

Like a modern day Abbott & Costello. Or something.

He makes Kanaan go with us. Whoopee.

2-61.jpg

You get that message when a character joins you who is a noncombatant.

One more thing before the end of the update. Now that we have a Fire crystal we can give it to someone and they can do fire magic. So we’ll go to the Rune shop.

2-62.jpg

And attach the crystal to Cleo, which lets her perform fire magic, which hurts enemies in ways that fire hurts things, i.e. burning. Now we can leave Gregminster and head on over to Rockland.

2-63.jpg

Here is our first glimpse of the world map and mini Tir.

Next update: gambling and bandits. Gamblits.

Of course once again, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Schide on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good stuff, definitely better without all the transcribing.

This saves me a lot of effort because I was thinking about replaying this recently.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One of my favorites if not my favorite game of all time. I have played this game at least 10-15 times through. It's kind of funny cause I can just scroll through the pictures and know exactly whats going on. Keep up the good work. Though now I'm getting the urge to play through again...at least its a somewhat short game.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Episode 3 – The Beltway Bandits
    Last episode we finally left Gregminster and set off towards Rockland in the east. Just a short walk from here to there, and we arrive.

3-01.jpg

3-02.jpg

Rockland has, like its name suggests, houses built entirely from rocks. I fairly effective building material although I’m willing to bet those roofs are mighty leaky. Well, you use what you got.

3-03.jpg

Hmm, this old person looks slightly non-NPCish, let’s talk to them.

3-04.jpg

Holy crap why the hell does your face look like it belongs on a 2 year old? Went a little heavy on the botox maybe?

3-05.jpg

Anyway, she offers us a chance at the cups. Let’s see if we can win some cash.

3-06.jpg

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Let’s try again.

3-07.jpg

Woooooooooooooooooo. Ok, enough of that, let’s leave.

…actually, let’s try that again.

3-08.jpg

3-09.jpg

Noticing a pattern? Yeah, the first two games you play the coin is always under the middle cup, then the left cup. Leave the game, then leave the town and come back in and the pattern repeats. Easy way to make large amounts of money early in the game. So I do that.

10 minutes later…

3-10.jpg

We’re over 100,000 bits richer. Saves grinding because you will need a lot of money in this game.

3-11.jpg

Save, just in case. I have no idea why there are two identical guys behind the counter.

3-12.jpg

I go the the armor store and buy some shit. Then to the item shop and stock up on some medicine and antidote. Antidote isn’t terribly important, but hey why not.

3-13.jpg

These gravestones are kind of depressing.

3-14.jpg

Except this one. This one is…interesting.

Anyway, let’s go see Grady.

3-15.jpg

That’s an awful big house that has much better roofing quality than the other houses.

3-16.jpg

This guy rebuffs us initially, but Kanaan gives him what for and he let’s us in to see Grady.

3-17.jpg

Indeed. A little too well, if you ask me.

Grady gives an excuse about bandits on Mt. Seifu to the east pillaging local villages so that they can’t collect taxes, so the party is charged with going there are capturing or killing them.

3-18.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. Although my thoughts were more along the line of “Oh golly gosh goodikins, more fighting!”.

3-19.jpg

Inside a random house, this line made me laugh for no good reason.

3-20.jpg

Just about a screen’s throw east of Rockland is Mt. Seifu. Let us climb up and deal with those dangerous bandits!

We start up the mountain and Kanaan demands Pahn take the lead, because he’s all buff and stuff.

3-21.jpg

3-22.jpg

Up the path a little ways lies the entrance to a cave. Inside, we take a right at the fork and get some medicine and a pair of boots.

3-23.jpg

3-24.jpg

Now Tir is wearing two pairs of boots. No, I don’t know how that is supposed to work.

3-25.jpg

Further on in the save we fight some bandits. They’re easily dispatched with the free will command.

3-26.jpg

Soldier Ants now.

3-27.jpg

3-28.jpg

3-29.jpg

Here is the level 1 Fire rune spell, Fire Arrows, which shoots a jet of flame into one enemy, dealing a pretty great amount of damage at this point in the game, 232.

Spell casting runes work in a sort of DnD-esque system, where there are 4 levels of spells per rune, and the number of times you can cast each level depends on the character. Right now Cleo can only cast 2 level one spells before she needs to stay at an inn and sleep before they are recharged. The amount of castings depends upon the character and their level. Different character’s casting numbers grow at different rates, making certain characters more useful as magic users and other characters more useful as fighters, you know, the way that sort of thing generally works.

3-30.jpg

Black wild boars which aren’t black at all.

One thing I forgot to mention is weapon range. There are short, medium and long range weapons. Short range weapons are only usable if the character is in the front row. Medium range weapons can be used in either row, but can only hit the enemies’ front row. Long range weapons can be used in either row and can hit any enemy row. The weapons are designated with an S, M, or L to indicate what type they are.

Further on in the save we get a defense rune piece, 1000 bits, Leggings, some Medicine and an escape talisman, which lets us return to the entrance of a dungeon. The defense rune piece can be used to give one character a +1 to their defense stat. There are also power and magic rune pieces, plus others for different stats.

3-31.jpg

Hey that looks like something we can fight. Let’s go kill it.

Queen Ant boss battle Vimeo

That didn’t quite go as planned but I guess Ted’s mysterious power of doom is pretty useful.

3-32.jpg

We exit the cave after getting one last treasure, a thunder rune piece. I’ll explain what the rune pieces are later. After saving…

Bam, a Bandit Boss Battle Vimeo

Now that that’s settled, let’s head back to Rockland and get our reward. Although is a bit odd that those bandits have character portraits…ah well.

3-33.jpg

3-34.jpg

3-35.jpg

Yes, that dungeon…right there…if by dungeon you mean living room.

3-36.jpg

3-37.jpg

Yay!

3-38.jpg

3-39.jpg

Awwwwww.

That’s enough for this update.

Next Episode: Ted’s past, revealed!

Gamerstube is being a bitch about converting, so just use the Vimeo links for now.

Since I'm playing ahead, I'd like to ask right now if anyone has suggestions for a name of a certain something that we'll be naming in a bit.
    The castle, don'tcha know.

Any suggestions?

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Last chance to name the thing you can name!

First if any gets it.

Schide on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How about... How about CASTLE ANTHRAX.

It's a pity you couldn't rename the main character as Zoot, too.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anthrax it is! You want that all in caps or normal?

I didn't want to start the thread without having some content so I couldn't let anybody name Tir. Ah well.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anthrax as written is fine! I just like emphasizing stuff with caps on occasion. Also, I'm not sure weasels work too well as electric razor replacements.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    TheEternalCowboyTheEternalCowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Posting primarily out of an obligation to my avatar, which has remained unchanged since 2004. Also, I haven't played this game in what feels like 10 years or so.

TheEternalCowboy on
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of other Suikoden games, if I may, I loved Suikoden V. I never beat it, however, because I was really off put by the punishment if you didn't get all 108 characters, which I'll spoiler.
    A character close to the protagonist dies, one which I assumed was the love interest. If you didn't get all 108 characters, she wouldn't be revived.
    I don't like that kind of punishment, and some of the characters were very difficult to get even with guides. That ruined me wanting to finish the game. I like my happy endings.

Does Suikoden IV have a similar slap in the face? And how is Suikoden IV? I know it's one of the least favorites in the series, but is it still worth playing?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Speaking of other Suikoden games, if I may, I loved Suikoden V. I never beat it, however, because I was really off put by the punishment if you didn't get all 108 characters, which I'll spoiler.
    A character close to the protagonist dies, one which I assumed was the love interest. If you didn't get all 108 characters, she wouldn't be revived.
    I don't like that kind of punishment, and some of the characters were very difficult to get even with guides. That ruined me wanting to finish the game. I like my happy endings.

Does Suikoden IV have a similar slap in the face? And how is Suikoden IV? I know it's one of the least favorites in the series, but is it still worth playing?
    That isn't exactly new to the Suikoden series. Similar events happen in 1 and 2, but I don't think in 3 or 4.

But I don't remember Suikoden V recruiting to be any more difficult than the other games. Of course at this point I've forgotten a lot about the specifics of it since I haven't played it since it came out.

IV is...IV is ok, but definitely the worst of the series. For one it did away with the six person party and anything that worked with that and made it 4 person parties, which severely screwed with some of the basic stuff, mainly the fact that you had two less spots in your party with about the same number of recruitable characters. I also found the main character to be very dull, and the graphics fairly bland overall. Also, you have to sail between islands for a fair amount of the game, and it takes frigging forever and has random encounters along the way. But it probably has one of the coolest "castles" in the series.

If you can get it cheap and like all the other games and recurring characters and the references it has, there's no reason not to get it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

Schide on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

That isn't exactly new to the Suikoden series. Similar events happen in 1 and 2, but I don't think in 3 or 4.

But I don't remember Suikoden V recruiting to be any more difficult than the other games. Of course at this point I've forgotten a lot about the specifics of it since I haven't played it since it came out.

IV is...IV is ok, but definitely the worst of the series. For one it did away with the six person party and anything that worked with that and made it 4 person parties, which severely screwed with some of the basic stuff, mainly the fact that you had two less spots in your party with about the same number of recruitable characters. I also found the main character to be very dull, and the graphics fairly bland overall. Also, you have to sail between islands for a fair amount of the game, and it takes frigging forever and has random encounters along the way. But it probably has one of the coolest "castles" in the series.

If you can get it cheap and like all the other games and recurring characters and the references it has, there's no reason not to get it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

I already own it, I've just never played it. I had V, which I traded in for some reason. I regret that, but I just really didn't like what would happen if you didn't get all 108. I don't necessarily want to spend all my time looking at a guide so I don't miss any, because that's what you had to do. If you don't do certain things at certain times along the story, you'll miss a lot of characters. Being forced to do that just isn't fun, primarily if you want the good ending, and I just want to sit down and play my JRPG without breaking the pace.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think my favorite of the series was 3, though I liked 1 and 2 a lot, too. 3 just seemed so much more polished, and it had a griffin called Fubar, that you could ride.

A GRIFFIN CALLED FUBAR.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If you don't spell ANTHRAX in all caps, in Suikoden 2 it'll be called the Aora republic. And for that matter, Tir will become TcDohl.

Of course, that's only if you import your save... they'll be called Tora and McDohl if you don't. :P

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    If you don't spell ANTHRAX in all caps, in Suikoden 2 it'll be called the Aora republic. And for that matter, Tir will become TcDohl.

Of course, that's only if you import your save... they'll be called Tora and McDohl if you don't. :P
    Eh...I did forget about that (and I am going to port my save...unless the save I already have on there has his name in caps, I'll have to look) but I think it's better for Tir to look right for this playthrough then to have it all in caps just for the 2 stuff. ANTHRAX will work well with all caps, I think.

Also I realized I forgot to get one of the two special runes at the beginning of the game. Although it's still early...maybe I'll go and show that and then play up to where I am. Maybe.

Schide on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It has the same thing in principle (just about), but it's much less pressing in execution. Really no big loss.

Barely worth playing. There's so much wrong with the game, from both a general perspective as well as a Suikoden angle.

I did like some of the character designs, though. I really liked Wendel (the 5% of the game I could actually use her was great!). Despite her not doing anything of any amount of importance, she's still one of my favorite characters in the series. And there were some more, like Flare and Olan and a few others. Of course, this is balanced out by characters that made me long for the days of Gengen...

---

I'm too lazy to actually go back and quote, but...
    The main character of Suikoden 4 was painfully lacking in pants and the ability to run in an acceptable manner

They could have just had him be a generic dual-wielding protagonist (which would actually put him pretty near the top of that particular category), but it was simply not to be.

And this manages to not be the biggest problem with the game...

---
    Kay wrote: »
    I think my favorite of the series was 3, though I liked 1 and 2 a lot, too. 3 just seemed so much more polished, and it had a griffin called Fubar, that you could ride.

A GRIFFIN CALLED FUBAR.

2 was prettier (1 was, and is, ugly), and it would be overall about as polished as 3 if it weren't for some of its gaffes in the war battles and a few other things. It's still pretty solid overall, though.

But I will concede that Fubar is not on my long list of complaints about 3.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to take this time to note that the Gamebridge is a piece of shit. It keeps uninstalling itself, leading the crappy software that comes with it to stop recognizing it, but then when you try to reinstall it the software then crashes, forcing you to restart and possibly remove it and then reinstall it. Then that will happen again because the Gamebridge hates you.

Schide on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good stuff so far. I love 2 and played the hell out of it, but I've never actually gone through 1 before, so it's fun seeing some of the differences, as well as a few characters I recognize. Keep it up!

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Episode 4 – Run Like Hell
    When last we left out intrepid heroes, they were heading back to Gregminster to report their mission’s success and probably get another mediocre mission that will make Pahn bitch.

4-01.jpg

4-02.jpg

Of course Kanaan is taking the money back to Kraze and I bet they’re going to spread it all on a bed and then roll around in it. That’s it, nothing sexual, I’m just sure they really like money.

Everyone else in the party plans to head back home where Gremio will make a delicious meal of boiled pig intestines, but then Kanaan demands Ted come with him to the castle for undisclosed and vaguely ominous reasons.

4-03.jpg

Ted goes off willingly, but not before alluding to the thing that needs telling by him to you. You know, the subject of an earlier gay joke? So the rest of the group heads back home.

4-04.jpg

See?

4-05.jpg

4-06.jpg

4-07.jpg

Just try to emulate that laughter in real life and see if you don’t get dragged off the the funny farm. I dare ya! Either that or have someone perform the heimlich on you because they think you’re choking.

Gremio brings tea, and I totally forget that you now regain control of Tir so I sit there for half a minute, waiting for something happen. But I get up and go downstairs and find…

4-08.jpg

Tim! I mean, Ted!

Gremio comes down the stairs and yells for Cleo and Pahn to help out.

4-09.jpg

I don’t even know how a wound is supposed to look unnatrual or magical. Maybe like a neat cube sized chunk of flesh has been removed? Or maybe it’s glowing with magical energies? I dunno.

The gang helps Ted into Cleo’s bedroom. Why they didn’t take him to the closer bedroom is anyone’s guess.

4-10.jpg

4-11.jpg

Maybe they were magical thugs?

Ted regains consciousness and asks if the Imperial Guard is here yet and asks for Tir’s help. Gremio tells him everything is fine and asks him what happened. The game then goes into flashback mode to show you what happened.

4-12.jpg

Ted is kind of whiny.

So they dragged Ted all the way into the castle because Windy wants to talk to him. What in the world could the Court Magician want with a common roustabout like Ted? I mean except for the fact that Ted blew away that ant thing with super darkness power and the hint that Ted’s been alive for 300 years… But that couldn’t be it.

4-13.jpg

4-14.jpg

4-15.jpg

Oh wait of course it is.

Windy demands Ted’s rune, but Ted isn’t about to give it up without a fight.

4-16.jpg

4-17.jpg

4-18.jpg

Soul Eater rune? That doesn’t sound too pleasant. Ted uses the Soul Eater’s apparent power of lens flare to make good his escape. And give him a mgical wound or something.

4-19.jpg

Back in the present, Ted pleads with Tir again before passing out. Pahn thinks that because the Imperial Guard is after Ted, they should turn him in so they don’t cause any trouble with the man.

4-20.jpg

Gremio forgets that Ted isn’t a dog, and argues with Pahn because he doesn’t think Ted did anything wrong. After a bit you get control and can talk to each person. Cleo thinks she might have heard of the Soul Eater rune before, and Pahn says he’s going to wake up the shopkeeper to buy some medicine.

Ted wakes up again and the group tries to ask him about the Soul Eater rune, but Ted insists on asking Tir if he’ll do him a favor. There’s a dialogue choice but it’s useless because it doesn’t affect anything. So ask what he wants you to do.

4-21.jpg

4-22.jpg

4-23.jpg

Ah yes, the focal point of the Suikoden series, the 27 True Runes, 18 of which have been officially recognized as of the 5th game, I believe.

“In the beginning, there was "darkness."
    Then, the "darkness" shed a "tear."
    From that "tear," the brothers Sword and Shield were born.
    Shield claimed it could defend against any attack.
    Sword claimed it could slice through anything.
    The brothers began a legendary battle.
    At the end, both Sword and Shield shattered.
    Sword became the sky, Shield became the earth, and the sparks from the battle became the stars.
    As for the jewels, they fell to the ground and became the True Runes--The runes that all other runes were born from.”

You don’t normally get this story until later, but what the hell. I think the wording is different though.

4-24.jpg

Ted goes on to explain that Windy has been chasing him for 300 years, attempting to get the Soul Eater from him. His mistake was using the rune at Mt. Seifu. Of course if he hadn’t used it he and everyone else would have been dead anyway, but who knows where the Soul Eater would have ended up then. Assumedly he didn’t know her name before as that would most likely have tipped him off to get the fuck out of Gregminster. With his magical wound, Ted does not believe that he can evade capture any longer.

4-25.jpg

4-26.jpg

You can refuse to accept the rune, but then Ted just whines again and you really have no choice but to accept, because otherwise there would be no game.

4-27.jpg

Praying by the side of his bed, God shines his light down upon…I mean Ted transfers over the Soul Eater to Tir.

But wait, what was that noise out front?

4-28.jpg

Oh shit.

Pahn was a dick and told the Imperial Guard where Ted was because Pahn is loyal to Teo to the point of dickishness. Cleo and Gremio want to fuck shit up with Kraze and the Guard, but Ted comes in and surrenders, sacrificing himself so that Tir can get away with the Soul Eater.

4-29.jpg

4-30.jpg

Tir, Cleo, and Gremio proceed to hightail it out the back door. It’s raining now, the cold wind blowing so hard we feel the wetness in our pores. Where can we run? Where can we hide? Not to Sonya or Milich, they’d turn yus over to the Guard in a heartbeat. There’s only one place to go…the only other character in town that has a name and a character portrait…to the inn!

4-31.jpg

4-32.jpg

She let’s us stay in the attic for now. Talking to Gremio and Cleo, they tell us that we need to get out of the city, but the gates are guarded so we’ll have to find another way out of the city. Let’s go downstairs and see if there’s anyone that can help us.

4-33.jpg

Fuck yeah, it’s Viktor. I mean…this random person does not seem to be helpful in the least.

Oh well, maybe someone outside can help.

4-34.jpg

4-35.jpg

Wuh-oh, guards. But this guy’s being an ass, so we tell him off.

4-36.jpg

That kind of pisses off the one guard, but then Cleo and Gremio arrive on the scene and the other guard gets suspicious when Gremio calls Tir “Young Master”. The helmeted guard demands Tir show his face, and Gremio and Cleo prepare to fight while Tir makes a run for it. However…

4-37.jpg

4-38.jpg

That’s…that’s not very good logic there, I mean the gates are guarded and there’s no way out so they cold easily still be in the city, plus all the “Young Master” talk and the fact that Tir looks like, well, Tir says that there’s a good chance…

4-39.jpg

Oh, right, I forgot random guards are complete fucking morons everywhere.

4-40.jpg

And everybody just walks right out the door. Outside everybody thanks Viktor for helping them, but it turns out Viktor just wanted a way to get out of paying his bill. Oh Viktor, you magnificent bastard! He wanders off.

4-41.jpg

But we still can’t get out. Hmm…

4-42.jpg

Viktor , not a moron since 439. Viktor comes up with a plan to flee the city, and offers to take the party with him. His only condition is that we agree to meet someone after we escape.

4-43.jpg

Viktor talks to the guard and…

4-44.jpg

There’s...no shade where you are standing?

It turns out Viktor bribed the guard with money he stole from Gremio’s wallet. Gremio is pretty pissed, but at least it wasn’t our money. Viktor instructs us to go south to Lenankamp.

4-45.jpg

Viktor is an offensive powerhouse. Not too godd with magic but one of the best physical damage dealers in the game. He’s a bit slow though.

4-46.jpg

Just a bit south of Gregminster is Lenankamp. Lenankamp has a rune shop, item shop, armor shop, blacksmith and bamboo. Viktor mentions

4-47.jpg

The armor shop has some nice new Brass armor and Pointed Hats to buy.

4-48.jpg

The blacksmith is basically the weapon upgrade place. Each character has one weapon that never changes. What you do to upgrade them is go to a blacksmith and sharpen each weapon a level at a time until you get to the max at level 16. Each blacksmith can only sharpen weapons to a certain level. This blacksmith can go as high as level 5. This is the main reason you need a ton of money in Suikoden games, at least near the end. Weapons got a ton to upgrade to the fullest, and If you want to upgrade every character’s weapons…let’s just say it gets pricey. So we level up Tir’s, Gremio’s and Dleo’s weapons to level 5.

4-49.jpg

4-50.jpg

4-51.jpg

You can see how the weapons’ names change and their attack power raise. Except Gremio’s Axe’s name doesn’t change for whatever reason. You can also place Rune fragments on weapons to increase their damage a bit.

4-52.jpg

Here’s the inn, the game doesn’t exactly tell you to go there, but it’s the only place left to go.

We’ll stop here for now, this update has been an appropriate length and this is a good breaking point anyway.

Next episode: Rebels and fire

I tried the text one size step up so that it isn't engulfed in the pictures and maybe easier to read. Let me know if that makes it suck or not.

Also, now is the time that you can maybe choose party members. I've gotten to the point where you get party options, so suggest away. Now, what I could do is stop playing ahead and let you guys choose my party (as much as the game permits) for every update. But then I wouldn't have any updates buffers. Let me know what you think.

Possible party members for update...I guess it will be 9 (2 open slots)
    Tai Ho
    Camille
    Yam Koo
    Luc
    Sergei

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I vote Tai Ho and Yam Koo, the drunken fisherman brothers extraordinaire!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    whats the deal with people naming their castle ANTHRAX

I've always done that just out of habit because I am unoriginal and was ripping off monty python.

Is there some sort of secret in the game i was finding without realizing it?

Also 2 and 3 were both amazing. nothing has really gotten back to that level for me in the RPG world since.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Suikoden II is probably the second- or third-greatest RPG ever, depending on my mood.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    II is my third favorite, that hasn't changed in years. Tai Ho and Yam Koo and good because I can demo their Unite attack. Although I would have done that anyway.

I suspect people naming their castle ANTHRAX is just do the Monty Python connection. I'm pretty sure there's nothing secret about it.

Schide on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You should have snagged that Fortune rune in the beginning. I love doing that. On the way there, you can usually pick up a couple Water Rune Fragments from those blue slugs to pop in Tir's weapon. Regen and doubled exp make him essentially invulnerable for the first half of the game. I guess it's cheese though.

Has anyone discovered a way to make Gremio not suck ass? Story wise,
    I love his devotion and always keep him in my party after I bring him back, but damn he sucks. Bad at everything, as I recall.

And I demand that you utilize Fu Su Lu immediately when he becomes available and never stop.

Keep it coming.

edit: Tai Ho and Luc. We all know Luc is a fucking demon, but he's damn good. I'm pretty sure he's the best mage in the game until Crowley.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My votes are for Tai Ho and Yam Koo for a while, then maybe Camille and Sergei. I can't even remember who Sergei is.

I -do- remember that there were so many trash characters (poor Gremio), and some that were so insanely good you were retarded not to use them (Hi Luc! Hi Flik! Hi Victor!)

Oh oh oh! Are you getting the squirrels? Or is it dogs in 1, I forget.

Kay2 on