As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It wasn't a crack at the yalmaha at all, just a poor joke on my part.

I fucking loved my Yalmaha. Farming those pillows until i could buy my first one was so worth it.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Saban wrote: »
    It wasn't a crack at the yalmaha at all, just a poor joke on my part.

I fucking loved my Yalmaha. Farming those pillows until i could buy my first one was so worth it.

Oh, right :D

Damn straight, i remember spending hours trying all the vending machines waiting for the lowest skill req yalm. Then spending my life savings on it. Thinking 'what if it isnt as good as everyone says?' Jumping in and thinking 'Fuck yeah it was!'

Cryogen on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    [AoC] Robert E. Howard is Posthumously Indifferent

Unknown User on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    [AoC] Robert E. Howard is Posthumously Waiting For His Warhammer beta key

Fixed

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My name is Robert E. Howard. I always get asked if I was named after the dude who made Conan. No, I was not.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stop hanging out with dorks.

GungHo on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Triple B wrote: »
    My name is Robert E. Howard. I always get asked if I was named after the dude who made Conan. No, I was not.

More importantly, how do you feel about AOC?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Haven't tried it. It looks great and it's been getting a hell of a reception, but I don't really have the machine to run it, it seems. I'm actually not into any MMO's right now. LOTRO couldn't keep my interest, and EVE is so boring I'd rather pound a nail through my dick. I'm weighing my options right now, and I'm definitely working on building a new rig for Diablo 3 and CnCRA3's sake, but I haven't decided which MMO to try next, if any.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Haven't tried it. It looks great and it's been getting a hell of a reception, but I don't really have the machine to run it, it seems. I'm actually not into any MMO's right now. LOTRO couldn't keep my interest, and EVE is so boring I'd rather pound a nail through my dick. I'm weighing my options right now, and I'm definitely working on building a new rig for Diablo 3 and CnCRA3's sake, but I haven't decided which MMO to try next, if any.

AOC has a lot of potential, but right now it feels like a chore to me. Apparently, it gets fun at 20. I haven't managed to get a character that far, because the game becomes mundane and repetitive for me far before 20. You know, in case you were looking for opinions. >_>

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=135852

Official update notes for today's patch:
    With this week’s update we wanted to start a new tradition in providing a more detailed commentary of the reasons behind the changes in the updates on the live servers. So welcome to the first update commentary where we will provide a little insight into the current update priorities and explain how we are looking to further improve the game experience for everyone.

Update focus

The focus of this update was to ensure that we could continue to resolve a good deal of the inconsistencies that we can see have been affecting the game-play and at the same time improve on some of the existing game systems so that they are more accessible and more intuitive. So this update sees a good few changes intended to deal with some of the most frequently raised queries from the community.

General Updates

The first set of these changes were generally aimed at what we termed ‘convenience’ fixes, things that have provided unneeded frustrations for players. Not the largest or most comprehensive changes by any means, but ones that we felt could have a direct influence on the general play experience.

* We have added more travel NPCs to the capital cities that allow travel to more locations in the game world.
    * The price of the basic mounts has been reduced from 2 gold to 75 silver.
    * The price of additional bags has been reduced by between 20% and 50%.
    * It should no longer be possible to accidently sell your mount.
    * A teleport item, the Totem of Origins is now dropping from boss encounters in group instances. You will be able to acquire it from locations throughout the game starting in the Black Castle. This totem teleports you to your home city once a day and can be used in addition to your path of Asura.
    * It will be possible to get experience from ‘grey’ quests again.

Combat Changes

Combat is obviously the core part of the game, and we have been working flat out to ensure that we can address the game mechanic issues that have lead to some inconsistencies. It’s important for us that players feel they are in control of their combat actions and the changes in this update have been worked on to improve the flow and immediacy of the combat system.

* Clickable instant abilities will now actually be executed instantly rather then queued behind other attack animations.
    * We have resolved the basic issues with discrepancies between male and female attack times. This has now been resolved for all standard attacks and we are moving onto looking into the combo animations as soon as possible.
    * The issue with multi-hit combos ‘rolling back’ their damage if aborted should be resolved. You won’t lose any damage that has already been inflicted anymore.
    * Combo finishers (the last attack in the combo chain) now have 25% extra range, which should aid in getting them to land in PvP.
    * We have changed the way that requirement checks were processed when spell casting so that the target still needs to meet all the necessary criteria when the action finishes. In the case of range checks, the range of the spell gets an extra 25% bonus to its range when checking at the end of its cast.

GUI Updates

On of our early focus areas now that we have more and more feedback from players has been improving the GUI and this update sees a lot of new features and improvements in the GUI. This update sees a series of changes to improve the options available in the GUI, including

* A GUI element for emotes has been added. Press Y to access this window.
    * A host of improvements to the Tradepost Interface to make it easier to use.
    * The ability to toggle off the on-screen messages off is now available.
    * The Friends/Guild Members window has been changed. It now works with tabs that sort friends by type: Guild Members, Friends, Offline members, and Ignored characters.
    * Ranged combos will now appear red on your shortcut bar when your target is out of range, similar to spells
    * Floating/movable character portraits were added. They can be enabled from Interface > HUD options menu.

There are a host of other improvements and tweaks as well that go live with this update and we will be continuing to refine the GUI in the coming updates.

Class Updates

In terms of class specific additions and changes our focus for this update was making sure that the abilities and spells had their effects and notifications improved where needed. A lot of abilities that were without appropriate visual effects have now had them added and a few abilities should be easier to use with clearer cooldowns. This has included optimizing a few of the spell and ability effects so that they don’t adversely affect client performance as much.

Quests, items and other fixes

We have managed to resolve a lot of quest, item and world bugs with this update. Ensuring that we keep resolving these issues will continue to be a major priority for us over the coming updates.

You can find the entire list of update notes here.

Content Updates

In closing we just wanted to provide a quick update on where the content addition plans are! We are very excited to be very close to introducing the first major new additions to content with coming updates. Of course our primary focus is the addition to the new PvP system changes that are being tested extensively at the moment. The systems are now all in place (and indeed you will start to see some of the first signs in the GUI in preparation for it in this update) and it’s now a case of ensuring that it’s fun and stable before we let it lose on the live dimensions.

In addition the live team has some of the new updates just about ready for your consumption. Within the next couple of updates you will see the latest revamped dungeon in the form of a new and improved version of the solo instance the Pyramid of the Ancients in Khopshef. With some great new challenges and quests the designers are really looking forward to seeing how you fare against their latest efforts.

We hope you enjoy the update and look forward to seeing you all in Hyboria!

Shens on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really enjoy the combat system and the gritty feel of AoC, but I cancelled my subscription on Monday. I can't stand the gankfests (yeah, yeah I'm a pussy) and the prospect of end-game equating to WoW style raiding (which is why I quit WoW) doesn't appeal to me. It's a shame because I really thought this game would be different from other MMOs currently on the market.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aw, please tell me they didn't forget to add the spellweaving animations.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited July 2008

AOC has a lot of potential, but right now it feels like a chore to me. Apparently, it gets fun at 20. I haven't managed to get a character that far, because the game becomes mundane and repetitive for me far before 20. You know, in case you were looking for opinions. >_>

Yeah, I wasn't. :P

But I mean, any input is helpful, of course. I'm not sure I'll be getting into another MMO any time soon, to be perfectly honest. And a game that doesn't get fun until you're level 20 sounds at least better than a game that doesn't even get fun when you're 30 and up. Not to name names. LOTRO.

Triple B on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Robert E Howard killed himself. Quite a sad story really...

Something which dawned on me while playing and became a big factor in me fucking AoC off is the Destiny Quests.

In AoC your destiny is pre-decided -- you bear the Mark of Archeron and are the "chosen one". Not only does every other player in the game share this same destiny but every new character you create will too... everyone goes through the same Destiny Quests and has the same early experiences and Quests in and around Tortage. Everyone is the same, nobody has any unique history or lore behind them.

So yeah.... not the best idea for an online rpg.

Grenn on
  • Options
    naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    :x You should have waited. Next patch, the cost of mounts will be reduced to 75s from 2g.

Unfortunately I didn't see that until AFTER I'd already purchased it. Oh well... Not like there's much else to spend gold on at this point... and no, you can't have any! :)

naturalchaos on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Save all of your gold for gems. Assuming they don't continue to nerf crafted gear. Which they probably will since the end-game is entirely forced raiding WoW style with long cooldowns.

Shens on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've officially taken over leading Broodax Imperiate, so I'm gonna work on seeing who we still have left that's active. If you want in, visit Broodax.freeforums.org and say hi. I'm currently the only one that can invite until I get some other officers.

Once things get settled and we actually have something that feels like a guild again I'll try and get the info on here changed.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Make the buddy codes come out faster so I can try this game

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I saw a BI member online yesterday and was surprised as all hell, but also kind of glad. Please, don't be shy if you want to contact me (Dahlya, lvl 74 PoM) for some help, and if any Sacrilege guys ever bother you, tell them you're my friend and an ally of the guild. A lot of former BI guildies switched over to Sacrilege.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I saw a BI member online yesterday and was surprised as all hell, but also kind of glad. Please, don't be shy if you want to contact me (Dahlya, lvl 74 PoM) for some help, and if any Sacrilege guys ever bother you, tell them you're my friend and an ally of the guild. A lot of former BI guildies switched over to Sacrilege.

How're things in Conan land? Has Sacrilege had much shrinkage?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DarkWolfe!

I (HeraldOfLoL) got bored of the glitchiness that is AoC and decided to try my hand at first person shooters for a while till Wrath of the Lolking or LoLHammer.

(wotlk i will be a death knight named: Lolknight
    warhammer i will be a black orc named: Roflorc)

I kinda got tired once those whiney kids that I kept killing stopped logging in.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    DarkWolfe!

I (HeraldOfLoL) got bored of the glitchiness that is AoC and decided to try my hand at first person shooters for a while till Wrath of the Lolking or LoLHammer.

I kinda got tired once those whiney kids that I kept killing stopped logging in.

Hmm. I am riding the Vanguard train till LoLHammer comes out. I won't be rolling Destruction, though, I'll be Order, so I'll keep an eye out in order to grief you till you cry. ;P

What FPS?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Call of Get Raped by People that Don't Play MMOS.

onlinecraft.

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    DarkWolfe!

Hmm. I am riding the Vanguard train till LoLHammer comes out. I won't be rolling Destruction, though, I'll be Order, so I'll keep an eye out in order to grief you till you cry. ;P

What FPS?

I'd play a witch hunter named Slapswomen if you're gonna play order ;d

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DarkWolfe!

What FPS?

I'd play a witch hunter named Slapswomen if you're gonna play order ;d

I plays me some Call of OH GOD, WHERE THE HECK IS THAT SNIPER EVEN AT! CRAP! THIS SUCKS 4 as well from time to time. It was really fun when it came out, because the girlfriend enjoyed playing from her house, and everyone wasn't a freaking wall-hacking, aim-hacking cheater. (How else could anyone else ever beat me?)

I will be rolling a swordmaster. I will have a shadow warrior alt. I will have a black orc or zealot sub-alt.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Word is the PA guild is not doing so good.

I can see about extending an invite to all into the Goon guild. It too is suffering heavily but we still have active people on, along with a battlekeep/raids.

Of course, the downfall will be you'll have to play on Deathwhisper, so you will have to start over.

Sanders on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I rolled on Deathwhisper on my first character.

What a fucking mistake.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will be rolling a swordmaster. I will have a shadow warrior alt. I will have a black orc or zealot sub-alt.

I'm sorry but what is a "sub-alt"?

Is it somehow more neglected than the already illegitimate lovechild of MMO character creation that is an alt?

If so, how does one walk the razor thin line between "sub-alt" and say, a character that doesn't actually exist?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

I'm sorry but what is a "sub-alt"?

Is it somehow more neglected than the already illegitimate lovechild of MMO character creation that is an alt?

If so, how does one walk the razor thin line between "sub-alt" and say, a character that doesn't actually exist?

To the uninitiated, the distinction might be difficult, certainly. The sub-alt will sometimes, but not always, be registered early to reserve the name, but usually will remain as a conceptual character only, never actually played, but often talked about. As in: "Man, when I roll my black orc, he is going to be badass. It's gonna be great finally beating up on some humies for a change. Hey, you want to run my shadow warrior through that dungeon real quick?"

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

How're things in Conan land? Has Sacrilege had much shrinkage?

Sacrilege has been around since way before AoC so I doubt they'll ever go away. It's a lot more organized with them, I have to say. I just recently participated in a simple epic Kheshatta farming run and it was great. We used Ventrilo and just dominated the area - I made about 4g in 2 hours.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    something I've noticed about MMO anticipation...

pre-AOC: "ok, <insert MMO here> sucks, I'm just playing it while I wait for AoC. It's gonna rock so hard!"
    now: "ok, AoC sucks, I'm just playing it while I wait for WAR. It's gonna rock so hard!"

lessons learned about hype: 0. Now I can only wonder what MMO people will be waiting to be disappointed by after WAR comes out.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    WAR40k

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

pre-AOC: "ok, <insert MMO here> sucks, I'm just playing it while I wait for AoC. It's gonna rock so hard!"
    now: "ok, AoC sucks, I'm just playing it while I wait for WAR. It's gonna rock so hard!"

lessons learned about hype: 0. Now I can only wonder what MMO people will be waiting to be disappointed by after WAR comes out.

That's only been true since the WoW fallout, it seems. Then again, the rain of MMO's that=free money because of ex-WoW subscribers can probably be traced straight to that. Speaking personally, at least, as much as I bad-mouth WoW from time to time, no MMO has ever consumed me as much as it did, and since then I'm hungry for something that could replicate the pleasure of the experience.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Saban wrote: »
    I rolled on Deathwhisper on my first character.

What a fucking mistake.

If you'd get on irc i'll give you a damn invite.

Sanders on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

That's only been true since the WoW fallout, it seems. Then again, the rain of MMO's that=free money because of ex-WoW subscribers can probably be traced straight to that. Speaking personally, at least, as much as I bad-mouth WoW from time to time, no MMO has ever consumed me as much as it did, and since then I'm hungry for something that could replicate the pleasure of the experience.

Just wondering, was WOW your first MMO? For me, EQ was the first one for me (besides dabbling in others) and I look back with the same nostalgia.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

Just wondering, was WOW your first MMO? For me, EQ was the first one for me (besides dabbling in others) and I look back with the same nostalgia.

Nah, I was a MUDder originally, and I guess DAoC was my first graphical. There were a couple between muds and WoW. I just think WoW was honestly one of the best out of the box, play, have fun, get hooked MMO's that's ever existed. My problem is that it couldn't sustain that euphoria. I played the same MUD for five years, and I know a lot of people had the same with EQ. The fact that WoW required scheduling to coordinate raids was what ultimately blew me off. When girlfriend time was interrupted because I was scheduled to help the newbs in Onyxia, and I looked over to see girlfriend frustratingly asleep in the bed next to me, I realized how truly fucked up the cycle had become.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I got mad at my gf because she made me spend time with her instead of tank Kara for the 1000000th time.

That's what got me off raiding for good (cept a casual late night za with friends)

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    which is why i like age of conan! (picked it up last night)

i feel no urge to play.

im like, villa villa fatality whee ok ttyl bye

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    which is why i like age of conan! (picked it up last night)

i feel no urge to play.

im like, villa villa fatality whee ok ttyl bye

Haha, that seems like a good attitude to have with it. That was kinda what I wanted out of it too, but then I heard there was raiding at the end, and I had so many tech issues, etc. I might come back to AoC eventually, like I've gone back to Vanguard, once the game is ironed out enough to not be too frustrating to play.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Buuuuddddiiies
    http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=2595&table=CONTENT
    The invitation process is easy. You need to log-in to your account pages (https://register.ageofconan.com), and choose “Buddy program”. Follow the on-screen instructions, and then write a personal message to your friends if you so desire.

We recommend that you lend your install DVDs to your buddy to get him or her ready to play as fast as possible. Alternatively your buddy will be offered a $2,99/€2,99 client download with 3 additional days of playtime to cover the download time.

While this offer is only for Collector’s Edition accounts for now, we will soon open up for the Buddy key found in the standard retail box as well.

Ok first, regular editions can't invite friends. Fucking stupid, Funcom.

Second, you're giving away the box for $2.99? Are we not supposed to think you're desperate to increase your player pop?

Edit: Ok wait I'm dumb.. they are charging $3 for your friends to download the client... haha... hah.. HAHAHA

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
This discussion has been closed.