As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited September 2008 in Graphic Violence
I don't know if you guys have heard but there is a new Batman movie starring a dead guy! And some other dudes, too! Some of them are British!

Anyways, this movie comes out tomorrow or in like two hours on the east coast, and there were preview showings at select IMAX theaters on Tuesday if you played the ARG. So this thread is for the Dark Knight.

And in case you were wondering, I do know that we have a comic movie thread, but big movies like this can have their own threads when it gets really close to release

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    i'm surprised you made this thread, geebs

you put this movie down every chance you get

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am leaving to see this movie in an hour.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am leaving to see this movie in an hour.

Ditto, can't wait.

Ecko on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm leaving to see it right...about...
    Now

Me Too! on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God, I'm so fucking excited for this movie. I watched Batman Begins tonight just to tide myself over until I go see this, and it's as good if not better than I remember.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tomorrow at 7 (Mnt Time) for me :(

I'm goin to see it with the local comic geek group.

its gonna be an awesome friday.

Newtron on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i just got back.

it will not dissapoint. at all.

AT.

ALL.

I dont even have words....

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy Jesus Christ this movie is nothing short of mind-blowingly orgasmic.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it was a fantastic film. Best rendition of the Joker in any medium, ever.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Holy Jesus Christ this movie is nothing short of mind-blowingly orgasmic.

that and a side of amazing-beyond-words-why-are-you-reading-this-go-see-the-movie.

also a family size
    Best rendition of the Joker in any medium, ever.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah that was fantastic. A modern epic.

I even loved Dent, which I was not expecting.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from Aaron Eckhart, and he surprised me. Bale had some good moments too, but in all it was Heath Ledger's film.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    i'm surprised you made this thread, geebs

you put this movie down every chance you get

nah, I just end up playing devil's advocate on things like this

also I did see this tonight and it was an excellent movie and it is leagues better than batman begins, which was a pretty solid movie in its own right

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    oh man, i hope i end up seeing this tomorrow night
    i have a bachelor party to go to, and supposedly dark knight is part of that party, but i don't know if that's a bait-and-switch for strip clubs or what. i hope not

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heather Ledger is a tiny god and hopefully we can figure out how to bring people back from the dead just so he can make another Batman movie.

He seriously had the greatest scenes ever.
    "I'm going to make this pencil disappear!"

SERVO EDIT- Oh no, it's staying as heather, so that my post makes sense, dammit!

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    ah, ol' heather.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    nothingmonothingmo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    that's a wonderful movie

nothingmo on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    ah, ol' heather.

I could have also called him Heathcliffe.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    i just got back

it was amazing

Christian Bale's Batman voice was even more ridiculous this time, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought his Batman voice was far better in this one. He seemed to be keeping the voice he used to intimidate criminals in Begins at all times in TDK.

Aleph on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really liked his Batman voice after:
    He threw Maroni off the building and was asking for where the Joker was.

It was intimidating but you could still clearly understand him, however I still like the gravely voice.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it's out here in a few places here later today. In which case I'm going as soon as I finish work.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This movie sucked, too much acting and it needed more cg effects.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My mind is reeling.

I didn't think it could exceed my expectations, but it did. Easily the best superhero film, one of the best films in any genre this year, and definitely one of the best Batman stories in any medium.
    It was really edge-of-your-seat through most of the film. It had moments for fans, but so much new stuff to keep you guessing. It's tragic and dark without being sadistic.

Like the ferry scene? That was the highlight for me. In the Spider-Man films, to empower the average citizen, they had them throw garbage at the Green Goblin. Here, after much deliberation, they realized they couldn't cave in to their fears and selfishness, and it worked so much better than New Yorkers throwing trash at supervillains. The big scary prisoner showed more morality than the cop on the boat. It was an amazing scene, I was so sure they had their own detonators, because the joker would be that sick but they pulled through! Go humanity!

And Gordon! Applause broke out when he reappeared and again when he was promoted.

Finally, the ending was so damn good. It was completely unexpected, powerful, and sets up a nice status quo for the third film. What a great tragic/heroic ending.

Lux on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this movie is hands down the best action movie or superhero movie ever made.
    ever

Heath Ledger's performance was absolutely legendary
    omg the scene where he's walking away from the hospital in the nurse's costume, then turns, kinda looks around, confused then presses the button a few more times...epic

beavotron on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So how many times better than Batman Begins is this? I'm assuming this movie is going to replace Iron Man as my favorite movie of the year.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dunno, three or four times better? To me TDK is the fulfilment of the promise that was Begins.

Aleph on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'd go as high as 8.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going to see this tonight at 1:30 am. I'm hoping I can stay awake through the whole thing, though that normally isn't a problem for me.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Going to see this tonight at 1:30 am. I'm hoping I can stay awake through the whole thing, though that normally isn't a problem for me.

Is it possible to fall asleep when you're on the edge of your seat?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yes.

It's just more painful.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yes.

It's just more painful.

Like falling asleep in the backseat of a car with your neck all scrunched up. Damn that hurts when you wake up.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Posted this over in the other thread, but I'm sticking it here too.

I just woke up and I've still got the soundtrack stuck in my head. Great movie, or the greatest movie?

The Best Parts
    Before I even got in the theater, I had to stop for about thirty pictures. My girlfriend and I went as Joker/Harley, except done in a gritty sort of punk style.

"How about a magic trick?" The entire theatre I was in either laughed or gasped at this. I didn't know which to do, but right then, I knew this was the Joker that I wanted so badly.

The Joker's backstory that kept changing. After all, if he has to have a history, he prefers it to be multiple choice.

"Let her go." "Very poor choice of words."

Two-Face. I avoided any sort of shots of him before the movie, and it paid off. I was shocked.

The hospital scene. Just so much goodness in there, too much to list. But I think the Joker's outfit may have been the best thing ever.

The Not-As-Best Parts
    Some of the dialogue moved a bit too fast, I thought. For instance, when they were transporting the Wayne Enterprises guy who was going to reveal Batman's identity, I had no idea what Alfred was looking up until he started sending the text messages.

Not enough Scarecrow. I really wanted to see him do a little more than blast that one guy in the face with the toxin. After Gotham Knight, where you see him
    ruling over a bunch of bums as a 'king'
    I was hoping he would play a slightly bigger role.

I want more. Now.

Overall, this movie kicked my ass and I loved it.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Terrific movie. It was everything everyone said it would be.

Also, I loved that
    Joker lied to Batman, and switched the addresses for Harvey and Rachel. Of course he's going to lie, he's the villain!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Terrific movie. It was everything everyone said it would be.

Also, I loved that
    Joker lied to Batman, and switched the addresses for Harvey and Rachel. Of course he's going to lie, he's the villain!
    I liked that brief moment of relief Harvey feels when he finds the coin he gave Rachel on his tray, only to realize what happened to her once he turns it over in his hand.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that
    the passenger boats were actually given the detonators for their own boat bombs, and if they'd triggered it, would have blown themselves up?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that
    the passenger boats were actually given the detonators for their own boat bombs, and if they'd triggered it, would have blown themselves up?

I don't know why you'd assume that. The scenario, as described, was perfect.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that

Just more misdirection and chaotica from Joker, I guess. It fits with the other 'truths' he told during the movie.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that

Just more misdirection and chaotica from Joker, I guess. It fits with the other 'truths' he told during the movie.
    Yeah, but if you have people blow themselves up then the other boat gets to live and have a clear conscience on top of that. Furthermore, having blown the boat and the detonator, you couldn't really prove that the boat's occupants had blown the boat up themselves, much less intended to blow up the other boat.

It'd have been a twist, but it wouldn't have meant anything.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that

Yeah, but if you have people blow themselves up then the other boat gets to live and have a clear conscience on top of that. Furthermore, having blown the boat and the detonator, you couldn't really prove that the boat's occupants had blown the boat up themselves, much less intended to blow up the other boat.

It'd have been a twist, but it wouldn't have meant anything.
    If they had their own detonators, then the less selfish boat would be painted as monsters.

Speed Racer on