As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Week for 7/16/2008

2»

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh man Rogue's Revenge is awesome

rr1-12.jpg
    rr1-14.jpg

rr1-15.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have absolutely loved Ennis' Punisher

Every moment of it

But Valley Forge, Valley Forge has been absolutely boring :(

edit: Absolutely too many absolutelies in this post.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think it's fair to make the comparison - the Ennis Punisher is entirely different than the Fraction Punisher (which Fraction himself has said is by design).

i actually really haven't cared for the fraction punisher until yesterday when i got the trade of hunter/hunted. i bought it in singles when it was first coming out, dropped it, picked up the second trade, really didn't like much of it (though i do like that art), and decided that because i love like literally every other thing of fraction's, i'd give it one more chance with this third trade. i really like the third one. i don't know what's different about it, but i'm enjoying it a lot more.

and fraction's writing what is, essentially, a humor book. it's not unlike ennis' original marvel knights punisher stuff in some ways. there's a lot of the same disdain for superheroes, comic violence, black humor one-liners from frank...

but the MAX stuff is just on a completely different level. it's the difference between "diggstown" and "raging bull", if i may use my love of boxing movies as an analogy for a moment.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sweet, I didn't know Scott Kollins is drawing Rouges Revenge. I'll pick up issue one when I have some extra cash.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Every moment of it

Because this is tying up story lines that have been building for five years, not just "FUCK BARRACUDA"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anti-moment of the week: X-Factor #33. Worst art I've ever seen in a comic book. Worse than Titans.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    Anti-moment of the week: X-Factor #33. Worst art I've ever seen in a comic book. Worse than Titans.

Agreed, the art and story before was a great mix that made you happy to buy the title month after month. Now the art makes you want someone to read you the story without having to look at it.

Cade on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The art was so bad I had trouble figuring out what was going on.

She-hulk at the end looked like a transvestite.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So do we know if the people that have been replaced by skrulls were killed or not?
    Are Elektra, Pym, Jarvis, and many others gone?
    That would suck
    I suggested that they're all still alive, since the Queen told the Skrull impersonating Pym they'd swap her out with a new Skrull after killing Scarlet Witch before M day. In order to copy his memories over, he'd technically still be alive. It would be easier to keep them sedated and fed through an IV as compared to killing them, ripping their brains out, and keeping them in stasis in order to replace a Skrull of someone like Pym.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Batgirl #1 was all right, I guess. I think the story is pretty good (although a lot of it was just Beechen making excuses for his old mistakes), but it was incredibly heavy on the exposition and Nightwing's characterization was just plain wrong. It was more in line with Tim's attitude.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved Rogues Revenge but I don't understand why they don't kill the Trickster kid.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I loved Rogues Revenge but I don't understand why they don't kill the Trickster kid.

did you not see the part in which Captain Cold explains that?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rogues don't do that

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man, Joker's Asylum has been weird. I enjoyed the first issue a little, loved the Penguin issue, but what was up with this week's (Poison Ivy)? I didn't understand the "ending" at all. It was like it just stopped mid-story.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

No, they don't kill Flashes. Nothing was said about imposter children. They were certainly willing to beat the shit out of them.

So they should at least hit him.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

No, they don't kill Flashes. Nothing was said about imposter children. They were certainly willing to beat the shit out of them.

They don't kill other than for survival or good old vengeance.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Fine, then they should still beat the shit out of him!

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well during Rogue War, James Jesse, the first Trickster beat the shit out of Axel and told him he'd murder him if he caught him using the Trickster gimmicks again.

Unfortunately, James went and got himself killed before he could make good on the promise. Whoops.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I nominate for my ANTI-Moment of the week all of X-factor.

The art was goddawful, the story is shit. Obviously all the talent that made the book so amazing before is gone now.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Dark Knight was the moment of forever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

Every moment of it

Because this is tying up story lines that have been building for five years, not just "FUCK BARRACUDA"

Even so, it has been a little dull so far. Especially the latest issue, which really didn't need like 10 pages of Rawlins telling us stuff we already know. Plus, the ending leaves it in pretty much exactly the same place as the last issue.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    The Dark Knight was the moment of forever.

10 hours and counting, I suspect this shall be my moment of forever as well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, I nominate for my ANTI-Moment of the week all of X-factor.

The art was goddawful, the story is shit. Obviously all the talent that made the book so amazing before is gone now.

but the only thing that changed is the art

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It just hit me with a wave of nostalgia, since the same artist did Peter David's original X-Factor run... oh god over a decade ago. I'm old... oooooooooold

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean yeah I hated the art

but the writing was just as good as ever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I mean yeah I hated the art

but the writing was just as good as ever

Is it?

Why would Skrull Longshot reveal himself for no reason, and start talking to himself in an empty alley. In every other SI book I've ever seen, they don't shift, even when they know the other person is a Skrull.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    New Simon Dark yes.

"Tom! No! Don't shoot them!"

"Don't feel sorry for them, Simon! They're not even human!"

"Don't waste ammo on them. We'll need it later."

"Oh. Okay."

I really like the series but I thought this was a terrible issue. The dialogue was weird and stilted and the story was hard to follow.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My sorta Moment of the Week is from Sunday, during which I read all of my The Spirit back issues. That's a great book that I should've been buying.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, I liked Rogue's Revenge, although it seems to screw up the timeline, but I assume the stuff that is going on in Flash.....doesn't count? Also, the whole calling Bart "Kid Flash" just annoys me.....yes, let's kill Bart for no reason then downgrade him as though he didn't save the whole damn city.

Also late to the party, Requiem was great, and if Ted Kord and other heroes that put their whole lives into crimefighting had got this sort of sendoff, guys like Munch and myself wouldn't have much to protest with how DC does things. It was a great example of storytelling and how to "end" the story.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    When Cold was talking about killing Bart he said "We killed a Flash. A "kid" Flash." as in he was young, not Kid Flash

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    When Cold was talking about killing Bart he said "We killed a Flash. A "kid" Flash." as in he was young, not Kid Flash

Cold says Kid Flash, when they explain things to Trickster they say Kid Flash, when Piper talks about Bart he says Kid Flash, guys in the museum call him Kid Flash, the TV report near the end says Kid Flash. Do you see a theme here? Then there's the reveal at the end......

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

Every moment of it

You're right, maybe that is why it's boring.

It also might be because there isn't a whole lot happening and the novel excerpts keep interrupting the story without adding anything.

My favorite Punisher MAX arc is definitely Mother Russia; it was violent, tense, exciting, and above all, clever. In general, I feel all of those traits have been somewhat on the decline in MAX since Widowmaker, and Valley Forge, Valley Forge feels the dullest of all.

Which is not to say that I dislike it, necessarily, or even that I disliked the arcs since Man of Stone, but they have been lacking a bit of the magic that made the first few stories so awesome.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Fine, then they should still beat the shit out of him!

Wait a sec. Flash's rogues don't try to kill him? What do they do, annoy him?

Also, how did they kill Bart? I was about to start reading more DC comics, but they killed one of my favorite characters, and I dropped everything but Titans, which slowly turned into crap.

Lostprophet8 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shot him with their guns then stomped on him.

But it was totally an accident.

Personally, I don't know why Johns didn't just pull a, "Oh it was the disembodied spirit of the Top exerting his influence over them in revenge for Captain Cold destroying his body!" There's precedent, and it's easier to buy (for me) than a bunch of hardened criminals not realizing that when you shoot and stomp on a guy, he'll die.

Munch on