As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that
    the passenger boats were actually given the detonators for their own boat bombs, and if they'd triggered it, would have blown themselves up?

I don't know why you'd assume that. The scenario, as described, was perfect.

Just more misdirection and chaotica from Joker, I guess. It fits with the other 'truths' he told during the movie.
    Yeah, but if you have people blow themselves up then the other boat gets to live and have a clear conscience on top of that. Furthermore, having blown the boat and the detonator, you couldn't really prove that the boat's occupants had blown the boat up themselves, much less intended to blow up the other boat.

It'd have been a twist, but it wouldn't have meant anything.
    If they had their own detonators, then the less selfish boat would be painted as monsters.
    Until a bomb expert examined the detonator and saw that it was wired to detonate the explosives on the boat they were on.

Besides, the entire point of the exercise was to prove that a little push could make anyone a murderer. Tricking people into killing themselves doesn't aid that end at all. Instead, it's punishing people for giving the Joker what he wants AND reinforcing the notion the importance of a strict moral code.

Robos A Go Go on
  • EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Perfect Joker. The pencil scene...is the greatest.

Ecko on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, I assume that
    the passenger boats were actually given the detonators for their own boat bombs, and if they'd triggered it, would have blown themselves up?

I don't know why you'd assume that. The scenario, as described, was perfect.

Just more misdirection and chaotica from Joker, I guess. It fits with the other 'truths' he told during the movie.
    Yeah, but if you have people blow themselves up then the other boat gets to live and have a clear conscience on top of that. Furthermore, having blown the boat and the detonator, you couldn't really prove that the boat's occupants had blown the boat up themselves, much less intended to blow up the other boat.

It'd have been a twist, but it wouldn't have meant anything.
    If they had their own detonators, then the less selfish boat would be painted as monsters.
    Until a bomb expert examined the detonator and saw that it was wired to detonate the explosives on the boat they were on.

Besides, the entire point of the exercise was to prove that a little push could make anyone a murderer. Tricking people into killing themselves doesn't aid that end at all. Instead, it's punishing people for giving the Joker what he wants AND reinforcing the notion the importance of a strict moral code.
    I think the fact that they intended to kill a whole boat full of people would've been good enough for the Joker.

At any rate, it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Speed Racer on
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going to see this tonight at 1:30 am. I'm hoping I can stay awake through the whole thing, though that normally isn't a problem for me.

I don't think sleep will be an issue unless your narcoleptic....

dscrilla on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now that Ive had a good nights sleep I think I can finally make some coherant thoughts about this movie.

1 - I cant figure out if I like this or Iron Man more. Like - I KNOW, HANDS DOWN, Dark Knight is a BETTER movie. But the two movies are really trying for such DRASTICALLY different things, that I think even though they're both 'Superhero' movies, it's like comparing Disney's Alice In Wonderland with the original book. They're the SAME I guess -- but they're SO NOT THE SAME. I'd take my 11 year old brother to Iron Man, but never to Dark Knight. I'd get drunk while I watch Iron Man on DVD, I'd want to be stone sober for Dark Knight. They're both great at what they're doing...but again, there's so much MORE in Dark Knight.

2 - MAJOR PLOT SPOILER - Do NOT read unless youve seen the film!
    So sad that Two Face is dead, and it didn't hit me until like hours later, when I actually said "Id love to see Dent come back in the 3rd one." and someone reminded me of his FUNERAL. I loved Aaron Eckheart in the film, and would have loved to see him done full on Two Face in the 3rd.

3 - It was amaizng to see a movie like this with a crowd so excited. Ive seen Iron Man, X-Men 1,2 and 3 and Spidey 2 at Midnight before, but nothing has come close to this experience. The gasps, laughter and applause were all new to me in a movie theatre, and it really really enhanced the film. It makes you feel like you're part of something special, and I really liked it.

4 - Minor cool details
    I had avoided everything I could about the movie, except sneaking a peak at the Two Face concept art, and honestly the biggest suprise of the night was the BAT CYCLE COMING OUT OF THE TUMBLER. The crowd went fucking INSANE cheering when it happened, and it was unreal. So so so awesome.

And finally, future of the franchise speculation:
    DO NOT RE CAST THE JOKER. EVER. I'd love the next movie, if theres one, to have either the Joker die in between films, or a small cameo using existing footage. Simply having someone walking down the hall at Arkham, and with the Ledger family's blessing, having a doctored shot through a cell window of that face, with the eyes watching the person walk by, would be chilling.

I had a large discussion with my brother after the film about who could be a good villan in Nolan world, and right off the bat we had to rule out Clayface, ManBat and anyone who is just too sci-fi driven. After scouring wikipedia, I found these to be the best choices:

Zsasz - #1 best choice. I had NO idea he was even IN Batman Begins!!! It was like re-discovering the movie when I read it in Wikipedia. I never followed Batman too closely (I read the Knightfall arc, and the major trades, but thats it really), so I wasn't too familliar with him, but he's just perfect. His bio is something Nolan obviously already likes, and I think he could make an excellent main villian.

Harley Quinn - You could easily take an obsessed fan and toy with the origin. Someone idolizes the Joker, he's killed in prision, and she goes nuts. She couldn't be a main villian, but she could be the 'Scarecrow' to whoever is the big gun in the 3rd film.

Riddler - I think he fits Nolans theme, but Nolan would really have to work to not make him the Joker part 2. Also, I think Jim Carrey could play him again, because I think long haired, serious acting Jim Carrey is actually pretty good and being twisted, and not just goofy. Im sorry if I just lost all credibility with that statement.

Penguin - I'd LOVE to see Nolan take on Penguin. Just a slimy, dirty mob boss. I dont know how he'd do it, but I'd LOVE to see it.

And even though I know nothing about him, from what Ive read, Black Mask would fit very nicely in Nolanworld.
    Also, the large black man who threw the prisioners detenator out the window RIGHT AWAY reminded me of how Nolan would design Killer Croc. Just a huge tattooed freak. I guess Croc was in the animated movies though, and I suppose those are continuity.

I ALSO STRONGLY BELIEVE they could introduce Robin or Nightwing. With Bats on the run, his school of thought would naturally progress to "I need this city to get what it needs. And with Dent dead, but his dream alive, I need them to have a hero again." And there he goes, finds a guy he can trust, and lets the cops chase him, while his ally cleans up the streets. For the sake of not making this 900 pages long, I'm making it sound corny, but I think Nolan could really make this work.

And lastly - the obvious CATWOMAN reference from Fox to Wayne about if the suit could handle a dog was awesome. And may have been a clue.

I need to walk away from the computer or I'll never stop typing.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited July 2008
    Ah, but my one complaint, major plot spoiler:
    How did Gordon pull off his fake death? Who was in on it?!

I just didnt get how he could be seen as dead? Especially with Rodriguez revealed to be working for the mob. Was it the guy who alerted his wife? I buy the elaborate plan of knowing Joker would shoot, looking for it, and taking the bullet, prepared with a bullet proof vest and all. But with everyone going to see if he's ok, how did that guy go "OH NO! GORDONS DEAD!" and someone not go "No he isn't. He has a pulse! Get an ambulance!" I just pictured like that Monty Python skit, in reverse.

"No, no, he's dead. Trust me. So dead."
    "Clearly he isn't dead, he's breathing."
    "Nope, no hes not."

Unless they took him to a hospital alive, where he then decided to tell the Dr's or something to report his death...

Either way, when he revealed his face the theatre erupted and it was fantastic.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to see this at 8pm tonight. I actually got free tickets! Thanks Albertson's and General Mills!

(For those that didn't know, there is a promotion going on at Albertson's where if you buy $20 of General Mills stuff, you get two free tickets. most of it was stuff I already buy, so I was golden on this. Also, i have no idea if this holds true outside of California, or even outside of the town I live in. Maybe, maybe not.)

Anyway, I thought this was opening on Wednesday, but from everything I've heard, Thursday/Friday midnight showing seemed to be the first one available.

digital.aaron on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    There was a preview in IMAX on Tuesday if you managed to snag the free tickets they gave away, but other than that today is the release date

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:
    Did he destroy the bat computer at the end? He entered his name and there were sparks flying off of some server looking things. If so, does that mean he's still Wayne Enterprises CEO?

What was great about the Joker is that he was a sympathetic villain, not because you could see where he was coming from, or because he was good somewhere deep down. He was just funny, but still evil. It's like Satan was cracking jokes and you couldn't help but laugh.

The crowd popped for:
    Watchmen Trailer
    Christian Bale's name during the Terminator Salvation trailer
    Intro until someone yelled, "Shut up for Batman!"
    The pencil
    Batman flipping Joker's truck
    Batman flipping his bike over a wall to turn around
    Gordon reveal
    "Next time you want to intimidate someone, pick a higher spot. This fall won't kill me." -> "I'm counting on it." -> OH SHIT HIS LEGS
    Heath Ledger's name in the end credits

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Question about Lucius:
    Did he destroy the bat computer at the end? He entered his name and there were sparks flying off of some server looking things. If so, does that mean he's still Wayne Enterprises CEO?
    He destroyed the cellphone sonar tracking computer. He said to Bruce that he would help him this one time but he wouldn't help him again as long as he had something that powerful. Bruce told him to type his name when he was done, and it destroyed the computer.

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Question about Lucius:
    He destroyed the cellphone sonar tracking computer. He said to Bruce that he would help him this one time but he wouldn't help him again as long as he had something that powerful. Bruce told him to type his name when he was done, and it destroyed the computer.
    The voiceover led me to believe that Bruce lied when he said this would be the only time he employed this technology, though. Am I the only one?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:
    The voiceover led me to believe that Bruce lied when he said this would be the only time he employed this technology, though. Am I the only one?
    I think the voiceover at that part of the narration was about "sometimes you have to reward their faith" which leads me to believe that he was only going to use it this one time

DJ Eebs on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:
    I think the voiceover at that part of the narration was about "sometimes you have to reward their faith" which leads me to believe that he was only going to use it this one time
    Yeah, the voiceover was talking about lying to give people what they deserve at the (fake?) funeral for Harvey and while Alfred was burning Rachel's letter.

TheSuperWoot on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:
    Yeah, the voiceover was talking about lying to give people what they deserve at the (fake?) funeral for Harvey and while Alfred was burning Rachel's letter.

Dent spoilers -
    My brother is convinced that Dent is still alive, and that the funeral was staged, and he's safely tucked away somewhere. I'm not so sure - but the whole movie is about people lying to other people.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:

Dent spoilers -
    My brother is convinced that Dent is still alive, and that the funeral was staged, and he's safely tucked away somewhere. I'm not so sure - but the whole movie is about people lying to other people.
    It's a possibility given the absence of an outright, "He's dead, Jim."

Robos A Go Go on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:

Dent spoilers -
    I thought I definitely saw him breathe, and Batman killing him would be kind of dumb after spending the entire movie sticking to his code and not killing the Joker

TheSuperWoot on
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:
    Within the context of the speech, though, rewarding someone for their faith means lying to them.

Taken by itself, though, it would mean that the machine had been destroyed.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Question about Lucius:

Dent spoilers -
    I thought I definitely saw him breathe, and Batman killing him would be kind of dumb after spending the entire movie sticking to his code and not killing the Joker
    I didnt think he was dead at all until after the movie when I said I wanted Two Face all out in Batman 3, and my brother was like 'remember his FUNERAL?'. I know he was breathing on the ground there, and although Batman is wearing armor, that was a pretty weak fall. But, I was easily swayed by my brother that he was dead - up until you people suggested the FAKE funeral. Thanks for giving me hope. What a fantastic idea - everyone who saw Dent as Two Face was killed -- EXCEPT for Rodriguez, and with her exposed to Gordon, I'm sure she's running. They never even admitted Dent was kidnapped, right? The mayor and Gordon kept it all hush hush, and it seemed like in the hospital they kept it a big secret he was there, and a big secret he went missing when the hospital blew up. Its totally possible either they said he was killed after the assassination attempt on the mayor in the explosions with Rachel, or said he could have survived that, but was killed in the hospital explosion. Then they tuck him away, knowing that the public needs the pristine image of Dent, and with his physical and mental scars he will never be the same.

Which would mean when Dent hears about the Joker dying in prision at the hands of some prision thugs, he loses it. Someone needs to keep this city clean, and the man that taught him all about Chaos was right all along - this city will eat itself alive. So he busts out and starts his own brand of vengance. (Call me Chris Nolan)

mxmarks on
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm apparently the only person who wasn't blown away by this movie... Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I remember liking Batman Begins more. Though I haven't seen that in a while. All the pieces where there for an amazing movie, I just felt like it wasn't put together quite right. It was too long, it really felt like 2 different movies in one to me. All that aside, there was some amazing performances in Dark Knight. Aaron Eckhart was awesome, and Heath Ledger was fucking amazing, I doubt any other actor will be more deserving of an Oscar this year. It's too bad movies like this don't win Oscars, though he may have a chance because he died...

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my mind crapped itself with the awesome

i love IMAX
    my theater had those buttkicking rumble seats
    it was so intense

it was nonstop intense

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The movie was pretty amazing. I liked it way more than I liked Batman Begins. I'm hoping for an Anti-Heroish Catwoman and Riddler in the third.

I may be one of the only ones who think so, but I think they should recast the Joker. Heath did amazing, and I'm not sure if they can find someone who'll meet his standard, but it's just such a huge character. I'm sure they could find someone who would do the part well.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have one problem with this movie.
    The ending.

Where is the Joker? It just cuts away from him and all we know is a swat team was there. I would have preferred they have him go out in a blaze of glory or something. Leaving it open like this... I don't want the possibility of another actor being the Joker in Nolan's films.

There's no way another actor could even come close.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Presumably, that's because they thought he'd be around for more movies.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really liked
    The joker talking about how Batman won't kill him because of some twisted code and he won't kill the Batman because he's too damn fun, and how they'd be going back and forth forever.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know thankfully in the comics this is also the case, they are always this way, hating each other but never killing each other. The only actor that could probably come close to ever doing a performance like Heath's is Daniel Day Lewis but the Joker character probably wont be used in another good 10 years.

battledrill on

As Joker gave that speech, and then was left hanging there for the police, I thought "ok, he's going to be in the next one, awesome." And for that one second, I forgot about Ledger, then it hit me, that no...he won't be back :(

The Joker on
    edited July 2008
    For the third movie, I would like
    it to end with whoever the villain is to release the Joker from Arkham as a last resort, setting up a final battle. Joker as a force of nature and the ultimate anti-batman weapon is a terrifying idea. Of course, this is assuming they can get someone to play him that won't be disappointing.

Isn't it weird how in this movie, Joker was the character who was prepared for everything? Helicopters, being arrested, people leaving on ferries - he's seven steps ahead of anyone. Batman is the scrappy fighter who perseveres after much trouble through all of Joker's machinations. It makes them both stronger.

Lux on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Everything I love about the characters came through in this movie, and the conflict between Batman and Joker was perfectly put onto the screen. When
    Batman was beating Joker relentlessly - you could feel the pointlessness of it. You could feel Batman's desperation and admittance of defeat. And Joker told him that all of his strength was useless.

I can't believe how perfect this movie was. Infucking credible.

Teth on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If they make a third movie, Dent will probably be back since Aaron Eckhart signed up for a two movie deal.
    .....and yes, I think he's still alive, it was a weak fall and the funeral was just a cover up anyway.

Aleph on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    I'm apparently the only person who wasn't blown away by this movie... Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I remember liking Batman Begins more. Though I haven't seen that in a while. All the pieces where there for an amazing movie, I just felt like it wasn't put together quite right. It was too long, it really felt like 2 different movies in one to me. All that aside, there was some amazing performances in Dark Knight. Aaron Eckhart was awesome, and Heath Ledger was fucking amazing, I doubt any other actor will be more deserving of an Oscar this year. It's too bad movies like this don't win Oscars, though he may have a chance because he died...

Nah, I'm with you. I give it a solid B+. Basically Ledger made the movie, everyone else did fine but not really great. And yeah, I definitely felt like there was a lot of fat worth trimming, especially some of the fights and random bits of joker chaos.

edit::
    Jesus, Dent's not dead. They're playing like he's dead to remove him from the public consciousness. The joker spent the whole movie lying and the good guys spent the whole movie faking deaths.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2008
    Ledger was great and all, but he wasn't even what carried the movie for me. It was all the story for me that blew me away. The twists, the intensity and the seemingly insurmountable problems made the film for me.

Lux on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's really impressive the way bats turns around this seemingly insurmountable situation right at the end there. Seriously, I was thinking, "Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit they're all boned."

And then bats is like "No, retard! We'll just trip'em over!"

Iriah on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One thing I thought about, in regards to the ending of the movie is this:

SPOILER***
    Batman taking the heat as a "cop killer" to allow for Dent's heroic death is an easily solvable problem, really. Since the Bat-pretenders were already an established presence and people knew it was going on, they could easily chase him around for a while, and then pin it on some amateur Bat-pretender, and wipe Batman's name clean.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    One thing I thought about, in regards to the ending of the movie is this:

SPOILER***
    Batman taking the heat as a "cop killer" to allow for Dent's heroic death is an easily solvable problem, really. Since the Bat-pretenders were already an established presence and people knew it was going on, they could easily chase him around for a while, and then pin it on some amateur Bat-pretender, and wipe Batman's name clean.
    Except then a Bat-Pretender would have to take the fall.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My take on the various debatable points

Harvey
    The funeral was for the good man, harvey dent. Harvey Two Face is still alive, after all they show you earlier in the film that a fall of that distance won't kill you.

Lucius
    The sonar spy device that was destroyed wasn't in the bat cave, and because it looks so perfect for the station in the batcave that batman/alfred sit at, I think it's safe to assume that there will be another such device.

Ferries
    I'm with Robos on this one, sure it would trick the audience, but having the detonators blow up their own boat would be a pointless exercise. The lasting effect of hundreds of people knowing they were personally responsible for killing other people would be so much greater. Think of what they would have to deal with when they realized they were killing army officers and other innocent guards along with the prisoners (whose deaths would have also been unjust, if easier to get over).

They might not get charged, but they could be accomplices to muder. The point the Joker is making is that humanity and 'civilization' would say it's ok because they were doing what they had to do.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some folks at D&D were complaning about Maggie being ugly in the movie. Wow. I bet if it was a male character you would never see this kind of comments being made on a nerd-related forum.

Aleph on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm watching the movie on IMAX Monday so I haven't seen it yet but could anyone tell me how the tribute was to Heath and the stunt-man who died during production? What was the audience reaction to it?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The tribute was small yet appropriate. All it said was:

"In Loving Memory of Heath Ledger and _that other guy_"

Sorry, I forget his name.

Lucascraft on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    it'd be the stuntman who died on set, I'd imagine

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    Some folks at D&D were complaning about Maggie being ugly in the movie. Wow. I bet if it was a male character you would never see this kind of comments being made on a nerd-related forum.

1) She has droopy cheeks

2) Alfred wasn't sexy. And that one cop guy. All the other male roles were!

Garlic Bread on