As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The tribute was small yet appropriate. All it said was:

"In Loving Memory of Heath Ledger and _that other guy_"

Sorry, I forget his name.

I don't like that it's at the end of the cast credits. It seems like something you'd put first.

The other guy's name is Conway Wickliffe

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if I even want to consider Dark Knight a superhero movie. 'Physiological thriller' sits with me better as the genre.

Still fucking awesome, no matter how you slice it.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

I don't like that it's at the end of the cast credits. It seems like something you'd put first.

i agree, but it seemed like the whole idea was to have the title card impact right when gordon is saying "the dark knight", and it would kind of ruin the momentum if it was an r.i.p. instead. i mean, it's there, everyone in the theater saw it so

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »

i agree, but it seemed like the whole idea was to have the title card impact right when gordon is saying "the dark knight", and it would kind of ruin the momentum if it was an r.i.p. instead. i mean, it's there, everyone in the theater saw it so

I mean after that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I mean after that
    i know what you mean, that's why i said it would kind of ruin the momentum of the moment. the music is way up and pounding, everyone's jazzed for a couple of minutes, it's not exactly the right time. it's only like a minute later.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I don't know if I even want to consider Dark Knight a superhero movie. 'Physiological thriller' sits with me better as the genre.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read a few reviews done by professionals that use statements like this, and it reeks of such bullshit to me.

I recall reading a book a year or two back that discussed how it seems like comic books, when they're too good, suddenly stop being comic books. It was talking about books like Persepolis and Maus; comics that have far-reaching appeal and highbrow themes. A lot of literary critics wouldn't recognize them as comic books, because comic books are obviously just for slathering mongoloids. And if these works weren't then that made them something besides comic books.

I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, but this is the kind of thinking that pisses me off. The movie features a character that, for the decades he's existed, has been recognized as a superhero. It's never been debated. So yes, it's a fucking superhero movie. That doesn't mean it's not a brilliant movie, or a movie deserving of widespread acclaim and recognition, or that it's not as good as any other Best Picture winner; but it's still a damn superhero movie. And that's okay.

Munch on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree with Munch.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Munch, I love you. You said exactly what I was thinking when a friend of mine said "Hey, that was pretty good for a comic book movie."

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, I'm glad I didn't go to see it on Saturday afternoon because the IMAX projector in the Mall of Georgia broke down 30 minutes into the 12:20 showing. Pissed wouldn't even begin to describe how I would be feeling right now if I had been in that theater. I hope they fix it by Monday or I've got to get my $15 back.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anyone knows how the stuntman died?

muninn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    car accident while prepping one of the stunts

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It depends on whether you think of 'superhero movie' as a genre, or just as a descriptor.

If it's a genre, then there are certain tropes and conventions that usually follow, which define what that genre is.

For example, I've got an idea for a movie I'd like to make which would be about Hank Pym, and feature mostly him and Doc Samson. The large majority of the movie would be them in a psychiatry session, with sporadic flashbacks to actual super-heroing. It wouldn't be at all similar to most superhero movies, in that there'd be very little actual crime fighting and mostly introspection and character reveals. It may star a superhero but I really doubt many people would think of it as a 'superhero movie'.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read a few reviews done by professionals that use statements like this, and it reeks of such bullshit to me.

I recall reading a book a year or two back that discussed how it seems like comic books, when they're too good, suddenly stop being comic books. It was talking about books like Persepolis and Maus; comics that have far-reaching appeal and highbrow themes. A lot of literary critics wouldn't recognize them as comic books, because comic books are obviously just for slathering mongoloids. And if these works weren't then that made them something besides comic books.

I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, but this is the kind of thinking that pisses me off. The movie features a character that, for the decades he's existed, has been recognized as a superhero. It's never been debated. So yes, it's a fucking superhero movie. That doesn't mean it's not a brilliant movie, or a movie deserving of widespread acclaim and recognition, or that it's not as good as any other Best Picture winner; but it's still a damn superhero movie. And that's okay.
    That's not what I meant at all. I don't really care much for labels, all I know is that when I watched Iron Man I got a "SUPERHERO" vibe that I didn't get from Dark Knight.

Perhaps it's because the director has done everything possible to set these movies so they're realistic as possible. It works for Dark Knight, but I'm not sure that's completely a good thing. It made Dark Knight and Batman Begins hit really close to home, but it lacked an element of fantasy that I enjoy in comic books.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not going to say much about this movie but I will say I went into it knowing virtually nothing about it and the movie exceeded any expectations I might have had.

In terms of characters I think the ultimate compliment you can give an actor is by stating that you couldn't even tell they were playing the character they were - this was definitely the case with Ledger's joker performance. The only other time I've seen that happen is Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. I honestly didn't care that much about Ledger's passing. Having seen this performance I'm thoroughly convinced that we as the audience have lost out. Color me selfish.

The weakest aspect of the movie for me was Batman himself. He just seemed over-shadowed by every other character in the movie.

Finally, the best part of the film for me was the fact that it broke from the typical formula for this type of movie. This caused it to become more of a "film" as opposed to a "superhero" movie for me.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Still fucking awesome, no matter how you slice it.

It still stuck to a certain level of comic book cheesiness, like the stock redshirt bad guys not having much of a personality to them, that ridiculous pointless first faked death, the batpod and batmobile (gadgetry in general, i.e "intimidate mode")

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anyway, I think the best thing about this movie (probably the series if theres going to be a Nolan sequel) is the sound editing. I like how this film had a moment just like the first did where Batman says "SWEAR TO ME!" through his voice mod, except it's with the Joker.

Sam on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

That's not what I meant at all. I don't really care much for labels, all I know is that when I watched Iron Man I got a "SUPERHERO" vibe that I didn't get from Dark Knight.

Perhaps it's because the director has done everything possible to set these movies so they're realistic as possible. It works for Dark Knight, but I'm not sure that's completely a good thing. It made Dark Knight and Batman Begins hit really close to home, but it lacked an element of fantasy that I enjoy in comic books.

I was able to enjoy this one a lot more because there wasn't anything stupid like a Microwave ray that evaporates water but leaves humans dandy, or the concept of a league of assassins using economics as a weapon.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This movie also felt much more realistic to me, as strange as it is to say that about any hi-tech type film. The scenarios in place were, I thought, more feasible given the current state of post-9/11 society.

Quoth on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Regarding ridiculous technology;
    I love that Batman's sonar vision (this thing does sound plausible though) gave him glowing white eyes like in the cartoon and comics but did anyone else think the visual presentation of the vision was a little weak?

Aleph on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I found it a little confusing, moreso because the sound became difficult to hear while the effect was on screen. I couldn't make out some of the voiceovers because of it. It probably didn't help that I was fairly tired at that point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    ...or the concept of a league of assassins using economics as a weapon.

I didn't never find Microwave weapon that silly, but yeah, but this one was ludicrous. Destroy whole city by causing recession? Yeah right... :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought the movie was ok, but I wasn't blown away. I liked how they turned it into a Daredevil movie for about 20 minutes, though.

I'm still not liking Christian Bale's bat-voice. He sounds more like Laryngitis Man, and I don't know if he's got something in his mouth, but he seems to have a problem with his 'S's.

I wish in the past two movies they would've stuck with the original Batman music, like Superman Returns, but instead they've decided on loud drums and two loud notes as Batman's theme. Every single time there's supposed to be a suspensful moment in the movie it sounds like a swarm of mosquitoes is in the theater.

more to come when I get out of work

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2008
    But Laryngitis Man can do whatever laryngitis can.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DVG wrote: »

I was able to enjoy this one a lot more because there wasn't anything stupid like a Microwave ray that evaporates water but leaves humans dandy, or the concept of a league of assassins using economics as a weapon.
    I was actively not remembering those things, so yeah, you have a point.

I didn't think it was actually possible to blight out things you didn't like from memory, but I guess it is!

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I kind of think a decent idea for a sequel would be Batman trapped in Arkham. It'd be the perfect setting for an examination of Bruce's psyche and introduction of villains who, while interesting, couldn't necessarily carry an entire picture themselves or present a threat to the city as a whole. Hugo Strange, Riddler, and Ventriloquist would be my choices for new characters, in addition to anyone from the previous two films who is able to return, and since we're in hypothetical land I have to say that Joker taking over would be superb.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just got back from the theater. God damn, that was a good movie. Iron Man is now a close second on my list for the year. It seemed to me like everyone was on their game in this movie. Aaron Eckhart was excellent as Dent and then Two-Face. Heath Ledger put in the performance of his career and made me forget I ever liked Nicholson as the Joker. This movie has completely erased the taint of the 60s show and the horrible sequels that followed the 1989 movie.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i remember that jack nicholson's joker is like number 45 on one of those lists of greatest villains that afi does. if they redo that list, i don't think it would be hyperbole to say ledger's joker could crack the top five.
    those lists are kind of pointless and subjective, though

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    really? he was that high?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    really? he was that high?

the guy who wrote the list? probably

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it was fifty villains and fifty heroes, so really he was only fifth from the bottom

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it was fifty villains and fifty heroes, so really he was only fifth from the bottom

That's, "Damn, what other popular movies have I seen? Crap, dealine's in an hour! Where's my TV Guide?!" territory.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I thought the movie was ok, but I wasn't blown away. I liked how they turned it into a Daredevil movie for about 20 minutes, though.

I'm still not liking Christian Bale's bat-voice. He sounds more like Laryngitis Man, and I don't know if he's got something in his mouth, but he seems to have a problem with his 'S's.

I wish in the past two movies they would've stuck with the original Batman music, like Superman Returns, but instead they've decided on loud drums and two loud notes as Batman's theme. Every single time there's supposed to be a suspensful moment in the movie it sounds like a swarm of mosquitoes is in the theater.

more to come when I get out of work
    I don't know, I think one of my favorite aspect of this new "Batman renaissance" is actually the soundtrack. I like the mood it creates, and particularly the crazy distortion at the beginning of the Joker's theme. Each time you hear it starting, it's so subtle and frightening. You know something is about to go terribly wrong, and yet it's subtle.
    As for the drums for Batman himself, well I absolutely loved the idea for Batman Begins and I liked it as well in The Dark Knight. I'd say it's way more simple and direct to announces Batman's approach and it works so much better. I'd say that a whole orchestra playing Elfman's theme as Batman takes on the mob would have been quite, quite bizarre.

I loved Danny Elfman's theme from the first two titles, but the kind of soundtrack Elfman created back then would simply not fit in Nolan's Gotham City. Zimmer and Newton-Howard did an excellent job in my opinion.

The fact that Singer kept William's theme for Superman is because Superman Returns sticks so close to the roots of the first two movies. Had Singer distanced himself from Donner's work, maybe they would have ditch the original theme and moved on with a new soundtrack.

Burton's Gotham City and Nolan's Gotham City are quite different. You can't ask to "glue" an older theme from previous films when the new one has nothing to do with 'em.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    edited July 2008

as long as cesar romero was higher I can agree with it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yeah, well, obviously he was number 1

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I looked up the list to see who was really number one, and for a second I thought I'd completely misunderstood Atticus Finch's role in To Kill a Mockingbird.

But no, that was the heroes list, and the top villain is in fact Hannibal Lechter.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hey that finch motherfucker murdered my dog, alright?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    your dog was a dick

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, saw this on Friday, going to see it again tomorrow with some family members that haven't seen it yet. Honestly, I kinda wanted to see WALL-E again, so I could put a little time between viewings, but I'm sure they'll love this too, so either way it's a win.

Suffice to say, this is definately my movie of the summer, possibly the year, and both WALL-E and Iron Man were some stiff competition.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WizardFistWizardFist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was umm...fucking awesome. I think it's become my favorite movie, and I've seen a shit ton of movies.

WizardFist on
    1242529-1.png