As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Swag...?

2»

• Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Indeed. Afterall, we will have to fight for our swag. Or *shudders at the thought* be nice to booth workers...

(Nah, I like those guys.)

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I had fun attempting to bribe exhibition booth people with Smarties that I brought down from Canada. 'twas fun.

Not impressive, we have Smarties down here too. Bring moose next time.

redhalo on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

Except that your Smarties are gross.

tr0tsky on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

orly? What's the difference? Do they taste like moose? No they don't. Bring moose.

redhalo on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    atiari wrote: »
    Look, I am not using my media pass to "bag swag". However, conventions are known for their swag and some do something special for the media. WWI had a special swag bag for media (by Blizzard) and other cons sometimes have special things they give only to the media.

My primary use of the media badge is so I can go to each booth and hopefully get some exclusive content for my website. Swag is just a (nice) secondary perk.
    not sure if you've been to pax before, but it's the convetion "by gamers for gamers." each exhibitor is strictly informed of this fact. they treat everyone the same, media or not.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Labrack2401Labrack2401 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    atiari wrote: »
    Look, I am not using my media pass to "bag swag". However, conventions are known for their swag and some do something special for the media. WWI had a special swag bag for media (by Blizzard) and other cons sometimes have special things they give only to the media.

My primary use of the media badge is so I can go to each booth and hopefully get some exclusive content for my website. Swag is just a (nice) secondary perk.
    not sure if you've been to pax before, but it's the convetion "by gamers for gamers." each exhibitor is strictly informed of this fact. they treat everyone the same, media or not.

Not in all cases, I remember last year with Harmonix doing Rock Band, there was a general admittance line and then a much smaller media and VIP line opposite the others.

Labrack2401 on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

orly? What's the difference? Do they taste like moose? No they don't. Bring moose.

Canadian smarties are kind of like wannabe M&Ms, not the delicious little sour candies in the US

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lame. Why not just eat M&Ms?

George Fornby Grill on
    edited July 2008
    Crawford wrote: »
    Lame. Why not just eat M&Ms?

Don't listen to the naysayer. Canadian Smarties >> Regular Chocolate M&Ms. The candy coating is much more delicious.

edit: proX is just jealous because his mother left his father for candy coated goodness.

tr0tsky on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, I am not waiting in line this year for some goodie bag that I usually end up tossing out afterwards. Time I'd rather spend sleeping or wandering seattle.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    Honestly, I am not waiting in line this year for some goodie bag that I usually end up tossing out afterwards. Time I'd rather spend sleeping or wandering seattle.

.....you get that same bag even if you dont stand in line....

Ukali.Kula on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, and you also get in earlier, plus getting the concert wristbands which always seem to be a big concern of people.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    Yeah, and you also get in earlier, plus getting the concert wristbands which always seem to be a big concern of people.

So true....Unless you want the line experience... Walk right in at 1 minute past the hour... and your good.. And i walked in on the concerts...no pass thingy..NOT NEEDED...

Ukali.Kula on
    edited July 2008
    you guys are both right, so people like the security of the wrist bands, but I found that I could walk straight into any concert that I wanted, so its all good. As for the swag bags, there is usually one or two coll things inside of it.

Labrack2401 on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Canadians. Bring Aero Bars. Preferably Mint.

Love, Badman.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited July 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Love, Badman.

And meat from a buffalo/elk

Labrack2401 on
    edited July 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Love, Badman.

Man one guy wanted me to buy a case of some chocolate bar for him but then never gave me anymore info or talk about payment (not that we couldn't have just traded at pax, I also didn't want to get stuck with a box of chocolate bars I don't like.)

Mint aero bars I do like, though.

Well, I'd rather just buy those cheap bulk chocolate/mint things but whatever

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't do so hot swag-wise last year.
    I didn't even get a t-shirt, just a few mini-poster things.

Any advice?

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Any advice?

Running past the same booth a few times works. I got 2 or 3 different shirts from Sierra's booth alone.

Sl1pstream on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Any advice?

As long as you hit it by late Saturday, the nVidia/BFG booth always hands out shirts (1 per person though, because they definitely will run out by Sunday).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • adio92adio92 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your missing alot. I won a limited edition halo 3 framed art number 1 out of 50, and got about 4 nivida shirts, too many tomb raider dogtags (Silly gametap booth), a couple psp demos, some signed artwork, a bandanna. Not to mention free bawls drinks at the door.

Just hit the exhibition hall multiple times. And be friendly with the people there, I got a ECA shirt because the booth guy had the same last name as me.

adio92 on
    xXAdio92Xx.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am the queen of swag.

I snagged a ton of crap.

Including a PS3 with games and accessories :) (okay so its not technically swag but I love posting it. :P )

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just didn't get lucky.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definatly remember that.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
    edited July 2008
    whypick1 wrote: »
    As long as you hit it by late Saturday, the nVidia/BFG booth always hands out shirts (1 per person though, because they definitely will run out by Sunday).

There is no Nvidia booth this year, they're having their own con-thingy the week before PAX.

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2008
    That's okay. It was kind of annoying last year.

Sumi on
    edited July 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    That's okay. It was kind of annoying last year.

Yah, the whole "Are you my match?" thing was annoying, but I really liked the nVidia shirts from last year. Oh well, such is life :P

tr0tsky on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Technically that PS3 and gear IS swag, since it was given away free from the booth. :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited July 2008
    I'd say any game system is epic swag there. I'd kill for one.... (MAYBE literally.)

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
    edited July 2008
    Yah, you should have seen the looks we got as we were leaving the convention centre with it. :|

Needless to say, we took a taxi rather than walking back to our hotel.

Sumi on
    edited July 2008
    Good call on the taxi. Unfortunately due to the buttons I'll have and my previous posts, some disgruntled PAX goers may jump me if I won something like that >_> Wouldn't be hard to find me.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    last year my friend won 1000 dollars from some shitty free game that isn't even online yet..... she was late for work because the tournament ran late but then it was fine (she too took a taxi)

s7arbuck on
  • emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brian4120 wrote: »
    Good call on the taxi. Unfortunately due to the buttons I'll have and my previous posts, some disgruntled PAX goers may jump me if I won something like that >_> Wouldn't be hard to find me.

don't worry about that Brian we have enough people that if you need it we can assign you security detail

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • asmodiasmodi Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    This is going to be my first year at PAX and I'm wondering if there will be much in the way of buying/selling/trading collectable items. I'm a big DS/GBA collector so I'll be looking to pick some stuff up! Otherwise, I might as well blow my cash on eBay right now :lol:

asmodi on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Who remembers the Ramen fest from last year?

People went fucking bananas for Top Ramen

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yuck. Inferior American ramen.

vgc on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    blowing all your cash before going to PAX, and then not having a bunch of money to blow when you get there, would be a very depressing event.

b0wser on
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is already in the topic
    new to pax read this first and ask questions here

Petesalzl on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's mentioned in that topic, but with its own thread we can talk about all the various forms of awesome swag without clogging up the FAQ.

For example: I got an Optimus Rhyme tee shirt last year with a matching ping pong ball. Sweet swag! *thumbs up with cheesy grin*

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

HAHA, I signed up a buddy of mine who couldn't go to PAX to win my weight in Ramen. I don't know what I'd do with 200+ pounds of Ramen, but it'd be DAMN funny to have it randomly delivered to a buddy.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • MandaristaMandarista Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I won one of those framed concept art prizes with the treasure hunt stuff, a few t-shirts, and some other random goodies.
    I also got lots of Guild Wars swag by making extra friendly likes with several of their folks at the booth.
    I told them how badly my friend had wanted to go to pax and missed out at the last minute, and got doubles of all the stuff they were handing out so she got swag for not even attending.
    Score points for GW for totally awesome employees, and points for me for getting my friend goodies to cheer her up. 8-)
    (luckily, she's making it this year. yay!)

Like many before me have said: If you're wanting to "score" a lot of swag, just frequent the booths and talk to the vendors.
    It helps conversation some if you actually have an interest in the product they're hawking though, just a tip... :P

Being friendly with the booth people is fun for everyone too.
    I'm sure they get pretty bored sometimes of just standing there all day talking about the same stuff over and over to thousands of strangers - bring them a cookie or tell them some jokes or something, make a friend, and get a goodie for yourself too. Heh.

Whatever you do, be nice to them too - unless they're d-bags first.
    The rudest guy I ever ran into in the whole of my trip to pax, period, was one of the folks at the WotC booth.
    Boy did that guy put me in a bad mood.... Thus, I scored no free dice :(
    I dunno what side of who's bed he woke up on that morning.... Sheesh!
    But that's not important... Nvm.

Definitely be friendly though.
    No one likes to share with grumpy people.
    And if they don't know you're there cause you slink past looking at your feet or something, they definitely won't give you promo stuff.

And randomly, the pirate cannons were awesome - I got a tee for myself and a friend. Just jump really high....

Mandarista on
    Screw Frodo..... TASSLEHOFF LIVES!
This discussion has been closed.