As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deleted

2»

• tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have two things to say about art for a career: all the people me and my family knew that went to straight up art schools got burned out after a year and just quit. I'm a freshman now at Boston College, and after looking at either a traditional 4 year college versus an art school, we (my family) decided it was best to go for a good ol liberal arts education. This way I can still focus on my major, studio art, while taking other courses. Furthermore, the thing everyone kept telling us during orientation and during our first couple of weeks is that you shouldn't be terribly occupied with using college to get a job. Of course that's why you think you're going, but if you stress yourself out about it then it's not going to be worth going at all and you might even hate it too.

English, art, philosophy majors... we all joke that we'll be living in cardboard boxes when we graduate for school. Our majors aren't like business, computers, or engineering, but they're just as important. You really don't have to worry about finding a job once you graduate, because there will be plenty of time during senior year or afterwards to look for one, and you'll probably get help from a campus job center too. So major in art, and be proud.

tmccool on
  • paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tmccool wrote:
    after looking at either a traditional 4 year college versus an art school, we (my family) decided it was best to go for a good ol liberal arts education. This way I can still focus on my major, studio art, while taking other courses.
    . . . .
    English, art, philosophy majors... we all joke that we'll be living in cardboard boxes when we graduate for school. Our majors aren't like business, computers, or engineering, but they're just as important .

Indeed. I'm a senior Graphic Design/English dual major at James Madison University, a state school, and I'm so much happier here than I would be at a straight-up arts school. The fact is that it does look good to have gone to a specifically art-driven school, but if you go to a liberal arts college, you're going to get (i.e.: be forced to get) a broad education that's going to help you out in the long run. I probably wouldn't have even picked up my English major if it wasn't for some amazing classes I had to take for my General Education requirements.

paulwind on
  • Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Family's over for xmas so no time for crits, but I just wanted to give you mad props for the Gauntlet reference in your thread title <3

Lexx KYSDS on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Word. Thanks, I was worried too many people wouldnt get it. Me and my freind just played through the N64 one and the one for Gamecube (has some awesome secret characters.) And about the arts chool thing, most of the art schools I've looked at are just art schools (Parsons, SVA), im just looking in NYC. I'll look around for more like the ones you guys mentioned though. I finished the flower, I figured out about watering down acrylics to make them smoother, so I basicly just re-did the whole thing. It's at my girlfreinds house now though, I'll get a picture of it later.

Edit: Yeah, I just looked at the old pic, the new one looks a million times better.

Chop Logic on
  • Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pssh, I'm talking NES Gauntlet, man. Definitely one of my favorite games <3 I've got an emulated version on my computer. Win!!

Lexx KYSDS on
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I should probobly check that out. I've been meaning to do that for Jet Grind Radio since forever.

Did this the other day while I was waiting for my girlfreind in starbucks, just a quick sketch thing.
    three.jpg

Quick sketch from today, I had to do something for school for the theme mechanical, so...

aymohand1.jpg

I'll get a better pic once I finish it, but its really just a doodle type thing.

Crits/comments on anything in the thread is appreciated.

Chop Logic on
  • SmackySmacky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On the topic of your graff work, holmes.
    Work on some simples and handstyles, man. Some of your letters are real slick and comfortable but then you'll pair them with a letter that's pretty toy, know what I'm sayin'? Like in your Altar Chop piece your first A in Altar looks pretty damn fresh but then you have that other that looks whack.
    Oh, and you said your AYMO piece was for school, man, it's cool that you dig graff that much but don't ever do it in school, I was put under a lot of heat for that kinda ish.

That robot hand is pretty fresh too man, stay up.
    Oh, and concerning your cans, I beg you-- Please, please, please don't try getting up until your letters have fully matured. They're still growing, ya know? Anyway that's all I got to say about anything, peace holmes.

Smacky on
    style3,Smacky.png
    edited January 2007
    Yeah thanks man, I've mainly just been working on simples, like in that Aymo piece. And about the for school thing, what I meant was I had to do a sketch for the theme mechanical, and I just sat down and drew that hand out, once it was done I just put some letters on it. I thought it was due today but its not so I'm just going to do another one. Here are some other simples but they're basicly the same thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/FluxOfPinja/aymo2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/FluxOfPinja/aymo.jpg

But yeah I realized how stupid it was to do that, hand something like that in, I'm going to try and keep this name under wraps, where I am everyone that writes has their tags and throws on their backpacks and their notebooks and whatnot, and they all tell everyone what they write, its so stupid. And about painting, I just want to find some places to practice, but I definatly know I need to practice more. Plus I'm from Long Island, its mostly toys anyway haha. just kidding. you got any pics of sketches or painted stuff from you?

Thanks for the feedback though, as always crits/comments are more than appreciated.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    Couldn't draw at all toady, threw out like three or four pages, finally just started doodling and came up with this:

robohand2.jpg

Idk, I dont think I'm really happy with it at all, I just wanted to redo something to hadn in for mechanical. I'm kind of lost for a backround though. Anything specific I should be working on? Crits or comments please, I'm really trying to get better, both these metal hands were drawn totally from my head if that means anything.

Chop Logic on
  • SmackySmacky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to have some stuff that me and my boys did on a bridge a couple months ago but we all got caught up in the system bombing some freights. Confiscated our only camera, but it's all straight, just gives me proper incentive to strive for greatness.

You have some pretty nice simple letters goin' for you. Once you have a certain style that works for you and you can do from memory start popping extensions on there lightly and it'll all blossom. If you want places to practice I'd suggest going to Home Depot or Menards and getting boards or tarp, those are good to practice on for when you don't wanna go out and risk getting busted. Your robot hand is pretty dope too, try incorporating robotics into your letters, it might produce some fresh results. Haha, peace homie.

Smacky on
    style3,Smacky.png
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, man.

Just drew this today I was home sick. Came out blurry and then the camera died so I couldn't take it again, I'll get a better one later.

hand777.jpg

First hand I've drawn in a while. I'll post some more stuff later.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    So I have to ask you guys, I've been trying to draw a lot, at least an hour every day, been trying to experiment and stuff, and I dont feel like I'm getting better. All my new stuff just feels like my old stuff. Is there anything specific I could be drawing to try and get better? Or should I just keep drawing random stuff and experimenting? Do you guys ever just draw to try and get better or do you just draw and happen to get better?

I'll update this with some pictures tomarrow or something. Thanks.

Chop Logic on
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what I did was I drew and drew and drew and drew until my hands could take no more, and that made me better, it wasn't anything specific, just crap out of my head, then I did life drawing when I had what I would consider the very basics down and that rocketed my artwork to alot better within the space of say about 3 months. I'd Definately suggest life drawing, do it asmuch as you can and then some more, it applies to everything, light, tone, form, composition, it helps in every aspect of your work, I'd suggest using graphite sticks and chalk, charcoal, and any loose medium that isn't pencil, even though this isn't particularly how you draw it will increase your skill ten fold with the more accurate drawing work. I'm a believer...

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This applies to basically every single conceivable activity that a person can do, but yeah-- the more you do it, the better you get at it. Of course you should be trying to make each drawing as best as you can, and the more you draw, the better you'll get. Just don't expect it to happen overnight. Dedication and hard work-- you get out of drawing what you put into it, etc etc.

WastingPenguins on
  • Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    the most important thing is to - this might sound kinda lame but - dont try too hard, just see where it takes you. as you progress you should automatically draw in more detail or more complex things and stuff.

obviusly studies are also helpfull, but use them as guide lines and let your brain do some work.

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
    edited January 2007
    So mostly all I've been doing latley is 3D letters. I think its a lot of fun and break from what I've been doing (realistic sketches,maybe some 2d letters), I've just been really getting into it. I always loved real 3D graf and just decided to try it I guess and I really love it, I could just do it for hours (and have been). Did these two today and they actually came out okay for once, not really sure if anyone on here is into this kind of stuff but I'll post it anyway.

ocho.jpg

plusone777.jpg

And this was just a really bad doodle, I wanted to try mixing marker and pencil and all I had was a red sharpie. Live and learn I guess. I also shaded the hand with only one hardness of drawing pencil.

777hand.jpg

Crits/comments/concerns/greivences all welcome. Thanks.

Chop Logic on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's hard to say how much you've improved, but it never hurts to practice. Drawing things such as hands could take months/years/lifetimes depending on just how deep you want to master them.

I myself am bad at hands, but the ones you've posted range from pretty good to slightly off. Just keep at it and don't expect huge improvement overnight.

I really like your 3D graff, and I'm pretty sure you've mastered that. Also fun for markers is coloring with colored pencils on top. You can get some really nice blending that way.

earthwormadam on
    edited January 2007
    Thanks a lot, means a lot coming from you. I'll have to try the marker/colored pencil thing, sounds really cool. I remember when I was just getting into graff you posted some stuff and I was really blown away. Wow, I was probobly in 8th grade or so so that must have been... two or three years ago? Damn. I've re registered a bunch of times since then so theres no way to know I guess. Still, crazy stuff. I still remember a few of the pics you posted and you talked about how with graff you are able to 'marry a word with an illustration" or something like that.

Haha, I'm not a stalker, really.

Well yeah, for the hand, I wanted to try some really hard lighting, so I just used one lamp, but then I realized that all I had was a #4 pencil, so I just tryed it anyway. Oh well. practice makes perfect I guess, now I know what not to do next time. It's just that in real life, it really did all look like one black plane, but on the paper it turned out super flat. I'll try again soon I guess.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    Did these for a single letter battle, which one do you guys think is better? Im going to get another pic of the blue on, the blue is darker in real life.

M.jpg

M2.jpg

Thanks.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    So I decided to try and draw something realisticly for a change today (just been doing letters) and for some reason there was a big mirror in my room, so I tryed drawing myself.

me1.jpg

me2.jpg

Not really happy with it but whatever, I obviously need a lot of practice. I always feel like my drawings are rushed for some reason, whenever I finish I always feel like I could have done better. tomarrow I'll just sit down and try and spend a lot of time on something, and make something I'm happy with.

Any crits/comments are really appreciated I'm really trying to get better.

Chop Logic on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eyes. Work on Eyes. I like the look of the drawings you did of yourself, but the eyes need work. Also you seem to draw fingers abnormally long :P

Those 3d letters are very awesome by the way :)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dont work on eyes so much as work on bone. Taking the face feature by feature is generally bad policy, when understanding the underlaying structure overall will give your features the placing and depth they need to be beleivable.

Greatnation on
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chop Logic wrote:
    Did these for a single letter battle, which one do you guys think is better? Im going to get another pic of the blue on, the blue is darker in real life.

3d letters

Thanks.

Definately the first letter
    Also you should check out an artist called INSA, he's a reasonably famous London writer, his 3d style is all kinds of awesome.

also you should buy some magic markers, the lines on your blocks of colour look really amateur.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On "getting better":

This is something that many, many artists struggle with off and on. How to justify working yourself like a bull when you can see no improvement or immediate gains. To this, all I have to say is that it takes time. It takes lots of time, no matter who you are to make significant improvements. But you will improve. Humans are perhaps most defined by our modularity; do something, ANYTHING, long enough and you will gain mastery over it, whether you mean to or not. Trust that although you might not be able to say "wow, this drawing is better than the one I just made", extrapolate that out to a year or five years and the improvement becomes staggering. There is no magic or trick to what we do, and every bit of craft is gained through blood and sweat. Take a gander at THIS thread over on CA.org if you ever have doubts about what simple hard work can do for you.

I'll also add this though, as a bit of personal experience. Over the years, I've caught myself halfway through a drawing or painting and realized quite abruptly that whatever I was doing was of superior quality to everything I'd made before that moment in some way. Maybe it's the first time you feel you really nail a particular anatomical feature from imagination and surprise yourself, or put down a new layer of color in photoshop and suddenly you don't recognize your own work. Tiny epiphanies that punctuate the sides of a trail on an endless uphill climb. Maybe I'm just weird and this only happens to me, but I have to imagine everyone has their own odd little ways of realizing when they finally understand something.

Draw to get better, sure, do studies if you don't know how something looks (for beginners just discovering their "artist's eye", that probably means studies for everything), but the most important thing is to draw regardless. Draw draw draw. None of what I just said means anything if you don't put in the time. Fortunately it sounds like you are, so just keep it up. You have a long road ahead, but the wind is at your back and the incline isn't too steep.

edit: Something I wanted to mention about studies but forgot to add is that it's good to focus on one thing at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself. By that I mean, I find that if you want to learn how to draw, say, hands, then start with fundamental understanding. Do simple line drawings and try to capture the structure of subject--I wouldn't start studying a new topic with a highly detailed oil painting for example, although it's one way to do it. Instead of trying to live up to albrecht durer's hand drawings, do a whole bunch of simple sketches (but carefully observe all the while, quick doesn't mean careless) and focus on form while hinting at detail/light with simple lines. It's better to try to get something right many times a few minutes each than spend a long time working on something that's probably inaccurate. Once you feel solid on structure, then work up to more refined studies where you spend time on texture and rendering and color.

Scosglen on
    edited January 2007
    Aumni - Thanks, I'm probobly better with letters than faces, haha.

Greatnation - Yeah, I always kind of figured that, thats why most of my hand sketches are really loose, just trying to get the shape and form down.

misosoup - Thanks, I actually ended up goign with the second one though, I'm not sure if I won yet. I've never heard of INSA, My favorite 3D writer is definatly DAIM, then TOTEM and PEETA, you should check them out if you've never heard of them. You write?

Also, about the markers, the dark blue areas are with prismas, and they still look streaky. I just dont know how to use them I guess. Anyone have any ideas?

Scosglen - Yeah, I have those moments also, I think everyone does. I usually remember the sketches when it happens too. That thread on CA is pretty impressive, can anyone just make a thread there? Maybe I'll do that. Thanks a lot for the crits, right now I'm just trying to draw a lot.

I'm going to try some more drawings of myself later, hopefully a little bigger. I have one of those 11 by 14 sketchbooks and I still feel cramped on the page haha. Thanks for the comments, means a lot coming from you guys. I'll post more later.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    case1.jpg

Just did this now, felt like drawing something and I only really draw from life, so I drew all this stuff that was in the corner of my room. Thanks for any comments on this or the ones above too, I'm going to try at least one more self portrait again later.

Chop Logic on
    edited January 2007
    These are all from today, I think I might have had an off day haha, I'm just trying to draw a lot everyday, I figure thats the only way I'll get better.

First worst: Did this is my art class while my teacher was talking, its just with a black colored pencil, just wanted to do a loose sketch.

blackhand.jpg

I really suck at taking pictures of pencils. This is another self portrait. I feel like with drawing faces I'm always afraid of going really dark. and getting some contrast. Whatever, doing at least one face a day now. I'll get a better pic later.

meblur1.jpg

Random sketch of my ocarina, did it all with colored pencils so I didnt erase and the 'shading' is a little off but whatever.

ocarina1.jpg

Favorite sketch from today I think, I just like how it came out, aside from the middle being a little confusing in some areas (I only had a 6B and a 3B). Still, I like how it came out, and I wanted to redeem myself from that hand sketch before, haha.

yellowcoinhand.jpg

Crits and comments on anything (even previous stuff) please, I'm really trying to get better and you guys always have good stuff to say. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Chop Logic on
    edited February 2007
    face1.jpg

Couldn't draw at all today, after 2 failed self portraits I just tried drawing this guy that was on the cover of this magazine the Marines sent me. Think it came out okay I guess, crits on anything would be really appreciated, expesially the stuff I posted yesterday. Thanks a lot.

Chop Logic on