As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    Regarding ridiculous technology;
    I love that Batman's sonar vision (this thing does sound plausible though) gave him glowing white eyes like in the cartoon and comics but did anyone else think the visual presentation of the vision was a little weak?
    It seemed strange to me that he didn't turn it off once he was face-to-face with the Joker.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    He mistook The Joker for the Kingpin and himself for Daredevil?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I'm still not liking Christian Bale's bat-voice. He sounds more like Laryngitis Man, and I don't know if he's got something in his mouth, but he seems to have a problem with his 'S's.

This. I cannot stand Bale's bat-voice. At the best of times, it's annoying. At the worst of times, I can't even understand what Batman says (there was one point near the end of the movie). It may sound like a small complaint, but it's just so distracting the entire movie. It takes me out of the moment. This would have easily been my favorite Batman movie to date, but I dunno if I can call it my favorite Batman movie when I can't stand Batman.

That being said, this movie was SO FUCKING GOOD. Harvey Dent? Excellent. Gordon? Great. The Joker? I'm speechless. This is, without a doubt, the best Joker representation ever, and I'm with whoever said they hope he isn't recast in a later movie. The whole movie, I was pretty much eagerly waiting for the next scene with the Joker. Where-as Jack's Joker was more of a petty thug, Heath's Joker is completely insane, but in a hysterical, lovable way, and it's just so much better.

Batman 1 was my favorite movie ever. If they were to hire Michael Keaton to dub over all of Bale's bat-voices, then release this movie on dvd, I would be my favorite movie for sure. As it stands, it may end up being my favorite, but only because everyone besides the title character did such a fabulous job.

Kris on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    i like bale's batman voice alright. i think it's not terribly intimidating to me in a chair in a theater, but i bet if some dude in black body armor jumped on my neck and started screaming at me in that voice i'd sing like a canary

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    God, liming and then saying Batman (1989) was your favorite movie ever?

It's like you're trying to be a terrible person

Garlic Bread on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha. Hey now, play nice. :P

Kris on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't have trouble understanding Bale's Batman voice, in fact I quite like it. He sounded better than he was when he talked to Rachel in Begins.

Speaking of Begins, I just saw it again and I have to admit, I can't enjoy it as much now that I've watched TDK (it's still good, though). The Dark Knight felt like Nolan finally accomplished what he promised to do with Begins; making a dark and gritty Batman movie.

Aleph on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think this movie, The Departed and Children of Men are the three most suspenseful movies I've seen. TDK really set up a world where the Bad Guys could conceivably win - and do so, over and over again. It broke the rule of super hero movies
    The love interest dies! How refreshing is that when in every other comic book property haphazardly throws in a love interest, or does it to death (Save Mary Jane even more!)

Lux on
    edited July 2008
    And like Gordon said, Joker pretty much won.
    Sure he failed at making Batman kill him but ironically Gotham's supposed White Knight was the one who made Bats break his one rule. The saddest part is that the coin landed on the uncharred side, Harvey wouldn't have killed Gordon's kid with or without Batman's interference.

Aleph on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i like bale's batman voice alright. i think it's not terribly intimidating to me in a chair in a theater, but i bet if some dude in black body armor jumped on my neck and started screaming at me in that voice i'd sing like a canary

I'll agree with you there Servo. I didn't find the voice that bad. Certainly better then some other's attempts (Clooney anyone?).

I saw this on Saturday and I was blown away. Heath was just...wow. A couple of my favourite moments.
    Walking out in the nurse's uniform with that waddle was hillarious. That and of course the problem with the remote.

Also,
    "We're going to hold a tryout." That scene right there where he tosses the broken pool cue between the two thugs. Pure Joker, that sealed it for me.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    With regard to the voice, I thought it was cool
    at the fund raiser, when Bruce got wind of the Joker coming to kill Harvey, that Bruce started talking in the Batman voice

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't believe no one's mentioned the scene with Harvey and Maroni in the car.
    He flips the coin for Maroni and when that fails, he flips the coin again...this time for the driver. Awesome.

BionicPenguin on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know this is a bit out there but
    Was the whole sonar/spying on everybody thing a reference to OMAC? I thought I heard somewhere that there would be some ground work laid in this movie for the JLA flick and that, to me, seemed like the most obvious connection.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know this is a bit out there but
    Was the whole sonar/spying on everybody thing a reference to OMAC? I thought I heard somewhere that there would be some ground work laid in this movie for the JLA flick and that, to me, seemed like the most obvious connection.

I don't think so, though it's certainly in the same vein as OMAC.

Robos A Go Go on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Sure he failed at making Batman kill him but ironically Gotham's supposed White Knight was the one who made Bats break his one rule. The saddest part is that the coin landed on the uncharred side, Harvey wouldn't have killed Gordon's kid with or without Batman's interference.
    Batman didn't kill Dent; he's pretty obviously not dead (not at a fall from that height, as the movie has already pointed out to us).

More generally: Joker's "victory" is supposed to be that he corrupted Dent, and that he got Gordon and Batman to lie about it. Looked at from one angle, it's a very "THE DARKNESS IS IN US ALL, OOH" ending, but I don't see it that way: Batman rescued the hostages, the people on the ferries, and Gordon's kids, all without breaking his cardinal rule. Sure, the lie about Dent might be a stain on his honor, but he's not a Boy Scout and he never pledged to always tell the truth: he wears a mask, after all.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I liked it a lot but felt that
    the ending was so over melodramatic that it hurt the film. Oooh, he's such a hero hero that he can't even be a hero because he's such a hero! I rolled my eyes at the finale Gordon dialog.

Joker made the movie, of course, but Two-Face had some really good moments.

Accualt on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I liked it a lot but felt that
    the ending was so over melodramatic that it hurt the film. Oooh, he's such a hero hero that he can't even be a hero because he's such a hero! I rolled my eyes at the finale Gordon dialog.

Isn't that kind of the point, though? Batman has always been operating in a gray area, with some people thinking he's a savior and others thinking he's a nutjob in a mask.

I see this as the opposite of the Spider-Man approach. In the end, people love Spidey because he's kind of a home-grown boy next door hero. He saves the day and everyone cheers. His villains are much more obviously villains and there is little moral dilemma involved with his apprehending them. Same with, say, Superman.

Batman, on the other hand, had to choose between keeping his own mediocre reputation intact or taking the fall for the greater good. He did what was right despite the cost to himself. I'm not making a value judgment here, saying that he is better than other heroes, but certainly it is a different approach than the traditional one.

Quoth on
    edited July 2008
    What Quoth said. Gordon's speech at the end perfectly summarised Batman as a superhero.

Aleph on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The saddest part is that the coin landed on the uncharred side, Harvey wouldn't have killed Gordon's kid with or without Batman's interference.

I've seen this said a few times, and I'm pretty sure it's wrong.
    Assuming the coin continued spinning in the air (as one would expect it to), it had several more turns while falling, unless it somehow magically fell straight down without any change in facing at all. Maybe it would've been 'good' side up, maybe not, but without Harvey catching it 4-5 feet higher than when it landed, we'll never know.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    The saddest part is that the coin landed on the uncharred side, Harvey wouldn't have killed Gordon's kid with or without Batman's interference.

I've seen this said a few times, and I'm pretty sure it's wrong.
    Assuming the coin continued spinning in the air (as one would expect it to), it had several more turns while falling, unless it somehow magically fell straight down without any change in facing at all. Maybe it would've been 'good' side up, maybe not, but without Harvey catching it 4-5 feet higher than when it landed, we'll never know.
    Yeah, I thought that the reason it showed the coin was just kind of a nod to Harvey's psychosis. Batman steps in and saves the kid, while not killing Dent, and the coin lands heads up. Batman "made his own luck."

Langly on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't believe no one's mentioned the scene with Harvey and Maroni in the car.
    He flips the coin for Maroni and when that fails, he flips the coin again...this time for the driver. Awesome.

That was great especially because I was genuinely mislead and annoyed for a second
    I thought they were pulling a Batman Forever with Two-Face re-flipping the coin until he got the result he wanted

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the movie was awesome not much else to say, but did anyone read Ellis take on what batman should do with criminals?

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=767

Freaking awesome

smokmnky on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So the movie was awesome not much else to say, but did anyone read Ellis take on what batman should do with criminals?

Freaking awesome

Yeah, my thoughts on leaving the theater were 'ok, so you don't want to kill him, that's cool....but you could still cut his hands and feet off. Don't need those in a straightjacket in arkham.'

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Theres a part where Bruce and Lucius are talking about some monies being diverted away from the R&D side to some other location. And then Bruce mentions that its going to someplace hes keeping secret. Could this possibly be a reference to the JL watchtower? Or was it just for that phone sonar thingy they built later on?

Note - I could swear that this conversation happened before he went to Japan and Lucius used the phone in the building.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    -Phil- wrote: »
    Theres a part where Bruce and Lucius are talking about some monies being diverted away from the R&D side to some other location. And then Bruce mentions that its going to someplace hes keeping secret. Could this possibly be a reference to the JL watchtower? Or was it just for that phone sonar thingy they built later on?

Note - I could swear that this conversation happened before he went to Japan and Lucius used the phone in the building.
    no, that was the cellphones. he didn't say it was going someplace secret, he said "i'm playing this one pretty close to the chest"

also accualt, i really don't understand your dislike of the ending speech from gordon. it was perfect.
    why is he running?
    because we have to chase him.
    why?
    because he can take it.

i literally left the theater with goosebumps.

Angry on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Eckhardt's performance impressed the hell out of me. He did a great job as both Dent and Two-Face. Obviously, Ledger stole the whole show, but I was pleasantly surprised with Eckhardt.

I do wish that Bale had been given a bit more to do as Batman. It's a little odd that the movie's namesake seems like a minor character in retrospect.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really loved this movie. My favorite thing about it was that it was so unpredictable, which is perfect for a movie with the Joker in it. I really had no idea where it was going to go (disregarding the somewhat common knowledge about Harvey Dent). I find most movies to be predictable, that's not a bad thing, some of my favorite movies have moments where I can figure out what's going to happen. But not this movie, it succeeded in being unpredictable without having to rely on some lame twist at the end.

Dissociater on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to double post but I thought this was kind of interesting. Did anyone notice that the guy...
    who tried to blackmail bruce wayne (and failed) and was marked for assassination by the Joker was named Reese? Mr Reese. Say that out loud and it sounds a bit like Mysteries. Could he be getting setup as the Riddler for number 3? I admit it's a bit of a stretch. I know the character's name is supposed to be E. Nigma. Another thing I noticed was when Lucius Fox said that Batman's new armor wouldn't stop a Cat, I couldn't help but wonder if that was a teaser indicating Catwoman for the next one too.

Just a bit of my inner fanboy getting excited is all...

Dissociater on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry to double post but I thought this was kind of interesting. Did anyone notice that the guy...
    who tried to blackmail bruce wayne (and failed) and was marked for assassination by the Joker was named Reese? Mr Reese. Say that out loud and it sounds a bit like Mysteries. Could he be getting setup as the Riddler for number 3? I admit it's a bit of a stretch. I know the character's name is supposed to be E. Nigma. Another thing I noticed was when Lucius Fox said that Batman's new armor wouldn't stop a Cat, I couldn't help but wonder if that was a teaser indicating Catwoman for the next one too.

i got the riddler vibe from that guy as well. lucius said it WOULD stop a cat, when asked if it would stop a big dog

Angry on
    edited July 2008

Man, you are taking two little, inconsequential things and blowing them into plot points for subsequent movies. Just step back, take a breath, and relax.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008

Freaking awesome

I hate Warren Ellis so much

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Freaking awesome

I hate Warren Ellis so much

Yeah, it's essentially just the old, "Why doesn't Batman kill people; so lame!" argument with a vulgar Ellis twist.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Quoth wrote:
    Isn't that kind of the point, though? Batman has always been operating in a gray area, with some people thinking he's a savior and others thinking he's a nutjob in a mask.

I see this as the opposite of the Spider-Man approach. In the end, people love Spidey because he's kind of a home-grown boy next door hero. He saves the day and everyone cheers. His villains are much more obviously villains and there is little moral dilemma involved with his apprehending them. Same with, say, Superman.

Batman, on the other hand, had to choose between keeping his own mediocre reputation intact or taking the fall for the greater good. He did what was right despite the cost to himself. I'm not making a value judgment here, saying that he is better than other heroes, but certainly it is a different approach than the traditional one.
    My complaint was with how over done I felt the finale part was. I like the idea of what does it really mean to be a hero (Dent/Batman) but the ending felt like it was force feeding it to me.

Batman's villains, especially in the movies, are more obviously villains than Spider-Mans...what with the running around killing everyone in sight. I don't...man, what? What moral dilemma is there in apprehending the Joker or Two-Face? You completely lost me.

I would argue what Batman did IS the traditional hero approach. Hell it is a movie hallmark for heroes to take the blame for things they didn't do, to carry the burden. We just haven't seen it much in Super Hero movies, well carry the burden is in all of them but not taking the blame for someone else. But in this one it didn't even make sense. Why did they have to blame those five killings on Batman? Why couldn't they blame it on the Joker or his henchmen?
    Angry wrote: »
    also accualt, i really don't understand your dislike of the ending speech from gordon. it was perfect.
    why is he running?
    because we have to chase him.
    why?
    because he can take it.

i literally left the theater with goosebumps.

You say perfect, I say cheesy and overwrought.

But it is my only complaint from the film, well and it dragged a bit in the middle. Just too bad the last thing in the movie was what I disliked the most.

Accualt on
    edited July 2008
    Accualt, did you think the ending to Iron Man was cheesy?

I did

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    Well hell yes but it was cheesy fun. Iron Man was just a purely fun film so the ending fit.

Accualt on
    edited July 2008
    yeah, you're not biased

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    I will have you know I like comic book Batman more than comic book Iron Man by a great deal. In fact I own more Batman graphic novels than Iron Man ones.

Accualt on
    edited July 2008
    I will have you know I like comic book Batman more than comic book Iron Man by a great deal. In fact I own more Batman graphic novels than Iron Man ones.

Some of my best friends are Batman!

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    why did you think the ending of iron man was cheesy?
    wasn't the ending just tony revealing he was iron man, which is a big part of the character.

theparttime on
    edited July 2008
    why did you think the ending of iron man was cheesy?
    wasn't the ending just tony revealing he was iron man, which is a big part of the character.

and then
    Iron Man plays and it was so cheesy

Garlic Bread on