As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tycho Quit WoW again.

Wormhole AnthropologistWormhole Anthropologist Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
How many of you are thinking of quitting?

I'm 57, never been to 60 much less 70.. but I don't know why I keep playing. I guess the massive world filled with people keeps me hooked.

Still it seems like the whole game is based around how much time you can sit pressing 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over to rep grind/item grind/level grind/gold grind your way to epic armor that will allow you to sit in Stormwind (or on the Org bank) and stare at lowbies.

/sigh

Is there anything worth getting to @ 70?

Wormhole Anthropologist on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You're 57 and claiming to be drained of the game?

You should quit. I'm not trying to be mean.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dude, once you get to 70 then you can get gnomes to give you blowjobs.

And if you think that playing WoW is only about pressing 4 buttons over and over, just quit now.

Tav on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Dude, once you get to 70 then you can get Blood Elf Males to give you blowjobs.

And if you think that playing WoW is only about pressing 4 buttons over and over, just don't play a Rogue.

:winky:

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

And if you think that playing WoW is only about pressing 4 buttons over and over, just quit now.

Um, leveling kind of is hitting the same sequence of buttons over and over again though...

With some minor variations here and there.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I suffered this kind of burnout before I even hit level 40.

WoW made me realize that I can't play traditional MMO's anymore, not really. I just can't enjoy them like I used to.

But that's really more my issue than that of any game.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Um, playing any video game ever is hitting the same sequence of buttons over and over again though...

There you go.

zilo on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you get bored before 70, you're most certainly going to be bored at 70. The game isn't for everyone.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    There you go.

Yeah, it's true to a degree. But in WoW, atleast when grinding, you have to respond very little to the actions your opponents take. You don't need to make any sort of re-active button presses, so it can become very repetitive.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your penis size grows exponentially with each piece of epic gear you get.

Once you're fully epiced, you can choose one of three factions: Casual, Raider, PvPer, and then spend the rest of your time accusing the other 2 factions of ruining the game.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Once you're fully epiced, you can choose one of three factions: Casual, Raider, PvPer, and then spend the rest of your time accusing the other 2 factions of ruining the game.

Usually comments like this are annoying but I seriously laughed out loud.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »

Usually comments like this are annoying but I seriously laughed out loud.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and sometimes while it's hurting, it's also really funny.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There you go.

Yeah, it's true to a degree. But in WoW, atleast when grinding, you have to respond very little to the actions your opponents take. You don't need to make any sort of re-active button presses, so it can become very repetitive.

Very true, although almost all bosses at least do something besides standing there and taking it while you pour on DPS.

You almost have to level up in a group so you can do instances to avoid going crazy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but there it is.

zilo on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I am a casual raider >_>

Fuck pvpers they have ruined the game.

Grath on
  • Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »

WoW made me realize that I can't play traditional MMO's anymore, not really. I just can't enjoy them like I used to.

I can't really enjoy MMOs unless I'm doing four-night-a-week progression raiding, which is difficult both because my guild is on break until WotLK and also because I happen to enjoy having some semblance of a social life. I hope Blizzard manages to make 10-man raiding as satisfying in WotLK as I've found 25-man raiding in BC.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »

I can't really enjoy MMOs unless I'm doing four-night-a-week progression raiding, which is difficult both because my guild is on break until WotLK and also because I happen to enjoy having some semblance of a social life. I hope Blizzard manages to make 10-man raiding as satisfying in WotLK as I've found 25-man raiding in BC.

Yeah, it's sorta the same for me.

I realized early on in WoW that in order to really get the most out of it you have to be able to set aside time to do things with a group...PvP, raid, etc.

I'm married, work full time, go to school, and I have a 3 year old. Spare time just doesn't happen very often, and when it does, it's never guaranteed to be uninterrupted.

I could never commit to anything so I spent most of my time solo grinding. I can do that in any number of free Korean games, so I just kinda dropped it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a raider, fuck casual/pvpers. They both ruined WoW!

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a casual raider/PvPer. Fuck those holier-than-thou hardcore raiders!

Seriously though, WoW, when played by itself, is mediocre at best. If you don't have a group to play this game with, don't play it. It's not worth your $15 - especially if you're not even 70 and you're already bored.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a casual raider/PvPer. Fuck those holier-than-thou hardcore raiders!

Seriously though, WoW, when played by itself, is mediocre at best. If you don't have a group to play this game with, don't play it. It's not worth your $15 - especially if you're not even 70 and you're already bored.

I think lvl 1-70, one time on your first time ever playing the game, even without other people is massive amounts of fun. I certainly didn't group that much from 1-60 the first time around and I couldn't be pried away.

But any sort of longer term enjoyment, does I think, require group play.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

:^:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

If you get a figureprint of your character wearing all epic gear its like growing a second penis.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Um, playing any video game ever is hitting the same sequence of buttons over and over again though...

There you go.

Except that someone in TF2 who has no coordination or cant aim will die. A lot.

In WoW its a matter of having "l2p" and being "uber pro" at chatting. Thats why its more of a burnout, IMHO.

• Options
    edited July 2008

There you go.

In WoW its a matter of having "l2p" and being "uber pro" at chatting. Thats why its more of a burnout, IMHO.

i loled.

• Options
    edited July 2008

There you go.

• Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

There you go.

I can wholeheartedly assure you that people with no co-ordination die quite often in WoW as well.

Hooooleeeeee shit, how do you people stand in fire still.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You thought your first post was good enough it needed be copied another two times?

Anyways I disagree entirely, there is a difference beyond gear in "skilled" wow players. In PVP especially, thought it i noticable in pve. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Is it the same as games which have a higher "twitch" requirement? No, far from it. But it's defintely noticable and it defintely affects the success you ahve in the game.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you get bored before 70, you're most certainly going to be bored at 70. The game isn't for everyone.
    Just thought I'd chip in and mention that I find the WoW endgame more interesting than trying to solo endless bloody quests in an effort to get to level 70. You can do basically any content in the game.

Below level 60, you haven't even played Eye of the Storm yet. Its hilarious.

If you do drop out though, probably best to do it at about level 55-59...then if you decide to jump back for the exp, you'll have 2789479 death knights to group and level with.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got to 67 and "saw the hamster wheel". My warlock alt is ~63.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    ShortassShortass Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Strayth wrote: »
    I got to 67 and "saw the hamster wheel". My warlock alt is ~63.

Although to be fair, it's a very fun hamster wheel when played correctly and is quite rewarding (sadly). I was pretty hardcore into raiding pre-BC and when BC was first released, and I had a blast. Serious arena play is also fun, though grows wearisome vastly quicker.

If you don't have time to dedicate yourself to advancing your character for a guild or group of friends, however, it loses its sparkle quite quickly. WTS 70 priest and hunter!

Shortass on
    I'm probably lying.
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I absolutely hate arena, and pretty much at the point of refusing to do them. But I could defend AV all day long, play AB all day long. WSG and EoTS can suck a dick though.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i stopped playing WoW years ago.

i never even got to 40 in the months of having the game

i realized it just wasn't for me

Pony on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    well.. the first time you play it always takes much longer to get to 70 (then 60) than the next times..
    And of course, if the way there isn't fun, it's not a very good idea to continue, imho. The game CAN BE vastly different at max level, way more about min/max-ing than about "just killing some dudes" for most people. But the core game is of course still the same

edit: and of course, with the recent leveling changes, 1-70 is so fast compared to earlier.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, if WoW isn't your thing, play EvE.

You get to make transexual furries kill themselves over their interney spacegold.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know there is a huge skill differential between players in WoW, a pull that I could do solo and survive would kill my wife more often then not.

When solo grinding I get terribly bored unless I have chat to read. I also like to turn on an internet radio and listen.

Seg on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PVP can be soo fun. But I suck too much for arenas.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    maybe if standing in doomfire caused the person to literally burst into flames at their keyboard

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, once I hit Outlands I had tons of fun, and had a really hard time pulling myself away from the game. But I hit 70, hit the real grind, and decided that hitting 70 was enough. I experienced what WoW had to offer, and enjoyed very little of it overall. Still, I don't regret playing it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been on hiatus for a few months now, waiting for Wrath of the Lich King, or Warhammer.

I basically got full season 3 on my lolret pally, realized there's nothing I could obtain in the game that would be signifigant until the expansion, and sputtered out. (I'm mostly a pvper, though I had a good raiding guild... just not much sweet Ret gear in raids, really)

Anyways, achievements look good.

Aeonfell on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I started as a casual, I hated the PvPers and Raiders for being able to get all sorts of shiny purples that I couldn't get. Then they'd just stand around flaunting them in front of the IF bank! Bunch of elitist pricks.. I wished there were more purple scraps like [Hide of the Wild] that I could get crafted eventually after farming mats for days and days.

Then I eventually became a PvPer, the stupid raiders and their T2/3 could just come in and 2 shot me in their ezmode bosskill epics. Casuals were irrelevant as they had nothing then. (lol Krol Blade)

Now I'm an elitist raider, purples rain from the sky for everyone, and altogether I don't care as long as mine are better than theirs and I can look slick in front of the Aldor bank.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Now I'm an elitist raider, purples rain from the sky for everyone, and altogether I don't care as long as mine are better than theirs and I can look slick in front of the Aldor bank.

Psshh everyone knows Scryer bank is the place to be. Even the Aldors in my guild hang out there!

When I started playing WoW, two RL friends picked it up at the same time, and they got bored pretty quickly but I kept playing. When I was about level 50 on my first character, one of them logged on again at level 13 or so. He asked me something like "So when do I get to do something besides Kill Ten Bears?" and I laughed because there I was in Felwood killing ten plagued bears.

Upon reaching Northrend, if you take the zep from Org, you talk to a few dudes about what they're doing in Northrend, and then go outside and someone asks you to kill ten nerubians. This sort of made me sad. But there's so much fun stuff included too that it averages out, for me at least.

riz on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Psshh everyone knows Scryer bank is the place to be. Even the Aldors in my guild hang out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUhSjuhQYE

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie