As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tycho Quit WoW again.

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Conversely, I'm actually dying to come back to WoW.

I think I can hold out until Lich King as my mage and my paladin aren't going anywhere, but they must be lonely, right?

W2 on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Now I'm an elitist raider, purples rain from the sky for everyone, and altogether I don't care as long as mine are better than theirs and I can look slick in front of the Aldor bank.

Psshh everyone knows Scryer bank is the place to be. Even the Aldors in my guild hang out there!

The guy with the first set of Warglaives on Kul Tiras Alliance side spent most of his time hanging out in IF on his Z'A bear. The story in trade is that once he got his armored Netherdrake from Arenaing he transferred to a different server.

edit: All I can figure is that he picked IF because people could duel between the bank and ah in IF.

Seg on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Both times I've tried WoW I quit before I hit 40. Then again, I think every MMO I've ever played (besides GW, which doesn't count) I don't think I've ever hit max level. I don't get the grind addiction, after a while I just get bored and move on.

I don't think I'd even play MMO's if it weren't for the fact that most of my friends play them.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PVP can be soo fun. But I suck too much for arenas.

A sad fact for me is that I don't really suck at my class. I've played it for years, basically since day one, and I know everything inside and out about the class that there is to know, and I can hold my own 1 on 1 against almost any class, even a warrior (as a Rogue).

Where I fail miserabely is my knowledge of other classes, and that is what kills me in the Arena. I honestly don't know who to FF first, who's abilities are going to fuck me over the worst, and when to save what skills for the perfect time because of their counter-abilities.

I have some basic knowledge of the classes obviously, but not the level that is needed to seriously compete in the Arena. This is basically why I stopped, it went from a "fun experience with a friend in some co-op pvp" to "Do an insane amount of research of every class in the game (which is constantly changing by the way), and always be on the cutting edge of every single ability and talent spec of every class out there, know how to play it, and counter it."

Sorry, I have enough stress at work.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I play this game with 4 of my best friends. We get to 70, get some epics, then reroll because we can't stand honor/rep grinds.

Enjoy the hell out of it probably only because we're all good friends.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pre-BC, I played WoW and got to 60 and clear MC and got sick of raiding because it's a part time job I am paying to play...

BC, I played till 70 and got my 5000 gold flying mount by selling all my enchanting and tailoring mats from lv 60 to 70 and quit BC without doing Kara even though I am KARA KEYED...

PvP Welfare Epic Patch, I watch movies during AV and move the direction keys every 5 mins and myself my S1 Welare Epics and quit WoW again.

WoTLK, play to lv 80 and roll a silly DK and played it to 80 and get Welfare Epics and quit again...?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Both times I've tried WoW I quit before I hit 40. Then again, I think every MMO I've ever played (besides GW, which doesn't count) I don't think I've ever hit max level. I don't get the grind addiction, after a while I just get bored and move on.

It's funny, of all the MMOs I played I never hit max level, and I'd played a fair amount; UO (no levels, so it doesn't count), EQ, AC, AO, DaoC, SB, FFXI, and CoH. I stopped moving around as much once I picked up WoW, and actually hit max level on 3 characters pre BC and 6 characters in BC.

I actually...enjoy...leveling in WoW. It's weird.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got burnt out at WoW at level 64.

never went back.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hayasa wrote: »
    If you do drop out though, probably best to do it at about level 55-59...then if you decide to jump back for the exp, you'll have 2789479 death knights to group and level with.

I thought WoW had over 8 million subscribers...

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Where I fail miserabely is my knowledge of other classes, and that is what kills me in the Arena. I honestly don't know who to FF first, who's abilities are going to fuck me over the worst, and when to save what skills for the perfect time because of their counter-abilities.

Yeah exactly. I'm not amazing at PVP with any of my characters but I'm not horrible. But I am an absolute failure when it comes to knowing what classes I don't play are capable of. Sure I know a mage is going to iceblock or counterspell, but I don't know the cooldown, I don't know the range. It was even worse before we could see everyone's buffs, when I would try to fear an unfearable warrior because I didn't know what the fuck their fear immunity abilities' animations looked like.

riz on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you do drop out though, probably best to do it at about level 55-59...then if you decide to jump back for the exp, you'll have 2789479 death knights to group and level with.

11mil at last count.

Tav on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tav wrote: »

11mil at last count.

Gotta figure many of them will roll DK alts, but won't actively play them much until their main is 80, meaning what will probably be a nigh-never ending steady stream of DK's roaming about for years to come.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty irked that they're dishing out Death Knight like it's a Blizzcon pet. I really don't even want to see the amount of tards running around on what should be an elite and incredibly awesome class.

I've played a paladin since Open beta (masochist) and early on "Hero Classes" was something I really looked forward to, but of course we all thought there would be options for each class and it wouldn't be a new character.

Call me jaded but I think Blizzard is too rich and too mainstream to actually have cool, innovative MMO features now, which is a shame.

Aeonfell on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Aeonfell wrote: »
    I'm pretty irked that they're dishing out Death Knight like it's a Blizzcon pet. I really don't even want to see the amount of tards running around on what should be an elite and incredibly awesome class.

I've played a paladin since Open beta (masochist) and early on "Hero Classes" was something I really looked forward to, but of course we all thought there would be options for each class and it wouldn't be a new character.

Call me jaded but I think Blizzard is too rich and too mainstream to actually have cool, innovative MMO features now, which is a shame.

CoughJedisCough

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ITT Blizzard sells out m i rite

Henroid on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think pretty much everything I know about Death Knights is awesome and I love Blizzard for it.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The optimistic side of me assumes Blizzard will be smart enough to realize they should allow other classes to start at 55 as well.

The pessimistic side of me thinks they'll create a gigantic class imbalance as every single person will have an alt Death Knight.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know this was in the back of my head...however, it's just now surfaced that I'll be able to make a metric asston of money from selling low level mats for all the people rolling DK alts.

Because who the fuck is going to get a fresh new level 55 DK and decide to go farm copper ore?

Edit: I'm gonna need bigger bags/more level 1 alts.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    FF wrote: »
    I know this was in the back of my head...however, it's just now surfaced that I'll be able to make a metric asston of money from selling low level mats for all the people rolling DK alts.

Because who the fuck is going to get a fresh new level 55 DK and decide to go farm copper ore?

Alternatively, you could farm low level herbs and sell them to EVERYBODY.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

It's not "an elite" class though, just a new one.

And as a hardcore raider with 9 level 70's and more time /played than I'd care to discuss, thus likely one of the non-retards that such a system would benefit heavily (as long as it didn't require, like, a 2200 arena rating... which I'd probably just bribe my gladiator friends for anyway), I say "fuck that".

It's a new class. A giant perk for people picking up the expansion and a manner in which Blizzard may or may not add a whole new slew of tanks to the game, which will benefit pugs and guilds alike. I see nothing but sunshine and rainbows from this choice, and see little but elitist, self serving entitlement coming from most people hung up on the idea of Deathknights being available to all but the newest of players.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Alternatively, you could farm low level herbs and sell them to EVERYBODY.

Yeah, but this way it's guaranteed or something. I tried it before and it didn't seem to work out. For whatever reason I've got myself convinced it'll work.

Fuck, I should just go gathering for the next xx days until WotLK comes out anyway.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really hope DK's are a success even though I'm not going to play one, give me my Demon Hunter hero class already!

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, but this way it's guaranteed or something. I tried it before and it didn't seem to work out. For whatever reason I've got myself convinced it'll work.

DKs might level smithing from scratch. EVERY class will have to level inscription from scratch. Think about it.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hero classes will never happen.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Forar wrote: »

11mil at last count.

Gotta figure many of them will roll DK alts, but won't actively play them much until their main is 80, meaning what will probably be a nigh-never ending steady stream of DK's roaming about for years to come.

Last figure I knew was...
    1 Million US
    1.5 Million EU

The Rest...?
    China/Korea Etc...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it's a bit late to say that, there's going to be at least one.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    815165 wrote: »

Let me rephrase. Hero classes, in the sense of being super powered versions of whatever other classes that only the best of the best will have access to, will never happen.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Also, I've learned that nothing in this game can stop the tidal wave of morons. It's the first law of thermodynamics in WoW.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited July 2008

DKs might level smithing from scratch. EVERY class will have to level inscription from scratch. Think about it.

Well, yeah. That's why I've got a Herbalist and a Miner...and hopefully a leveled up skinner soon.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    815165 wrote: »

Let me rephrase. Hero classes, in the sense of being super powered versions of whatever other classes that only the best of the best will have access to, will never happen.

And they never were going to happen in such a manner in the first place, what's your point?

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    And they never were going to happen in such a manner in the first place, what's your point?

Any time I've read about hero classes, that seems to be what people are asking for.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dis wrote: »

11mil at last count.

1 Million US
    1.5 Million EU

The Rest...?
    China/Korea Etc...

Back when it was 10mil around January, it was 2.5 mil US, 2 mil EU.

Forar on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dis wrote: »

11mil at last count.

1 Million US
    1.5 Million EU

The Rest...?
    China/Korea Etc...

Back when it was 10mil around January, it was 2.5 mil US, 2 mil EU.

What wierds me out sometimes is going out for dinner with my wife, and we can overhear another table, and it is 3 buds sitting around chatting about raiding.

Seg on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »

Any time I've read about hero classes, that seems to be what people are asking for.

People ask for things that would make games terrible all the time.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What wierds me out sometimes is going out for dinner with my wife, and we can overhear another table, and it is 3 buds sitting around chatting about raiding.

This kind of thing is frightening in a way. Whenever I wear my [Green Linen Shirt], uh, shirt, random people look at me and give me a thumbs up or more often ask me what server I play on.

I have yet to go through the PvP Online comic about "Horde or Alliance" though.

Edit - Rawrsmash.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    People ask for things that would make games terrible all the time.
    Very true.
    Seg wrote:
    My hope is that eventually that won't seem any weirder than the table next to you discussing a local sports team, or a TV series or a movie that just came out. It's just another form of entertainment, and it's irritating that it has such a stigma attached to it.

Edit: Mis-attributed a quote. Sorry Forar :D

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Seg wrote:
    I didn't say that!

Forar on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heh. I live in a college town so I sometimes hear people talking about WoW on the train. They're all noobs though.

riz on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A woman I briefly dated had friends that play WoW that talk about it all the time, so while she didn't play, she was fairly well versed in it.

They were in the background going on about their raid guild and gear level and whatnot, and asking her what my character's name was.

So I gave it to her.

They stopped joking around shortly thereafter.

Also; they fit the stereotype. Anyone that's under you is a noob, anyone that's above you plays too much (though they weren't quite that bad, you could tell the change in tone from "we're so awesome" to "holy shit Sunwell gear...")

It's not just funny/interesting to find people out and about in the wild that play and talk about it, but with only knowing a few things about a given character, you can even find them on the armoury. which I find far more hillarious.

Forar on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also; they fit the stereotype. Anyone that's under you is a noob, anyone that's above you plays too much (though they weren't quite that bad, you could tell the change in tone from "we're so awesome" to "holy shit Sunwell gear...")

Sounds like the kind of people who link items in guild chat.

Mgcw on