As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"I said come in! Don't just stand there!" (S.T.A.L.K. T.A.L.K.)

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Are you trying to get the endurance+ kinds of artifacts? Just run around Wild Territory. I have so many that I can sprint forever.

glithert on
  • FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm just trying to upgrade them when I can - I've had a 'mama's bead' recipe for a while and I finally got the artifact itself to be able to use it

Frosty on
    edited July 2008
    Frosty wrote: »
    I'm just trying to upgrade them when I can - I've had a 'mama's bead' recipe for a while and I finally got the artifact itself to be able to use it

Well, what is it going to turn into? (I don't have OL) You might just want to keep the Mama's Beads because it is an awesome artifact already.

glithert on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    also, are there any mods which translate the background conversations into subtitles? I wish I could understand what they're saying

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Frosty you need a recipe. You put it in the corresponding anomaly, there should be a white flash, then you wait about 3 hours, and it would have hopefully worked.

BlindPsychic on
  • sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Has anyone else used the Mod compilation in Stolls sig? I used the FULL option and that worked fine. Then I tried adding the MP5 for pistol slot optional mod as well as removing the red crosshair for the MP5 and then my game would crash. I am having to do a clean install because even removing the mod folders alltogether wouldn't stop my game from crashing when trying to load a save or start a new game.

Any ideas?

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Glad you like the package so far :)

There's a known incompatibility with the slot 1 MP5, sadly; think it's for the latest patch, but it could also be a mod conflict. Wasn't able to figure it out for v1.2. If it's the mods, it's got something to do with the unique_items.ltx file in gamedata\config, that may have overwritten something else in the full package. If it's the patch, that's another beast altogether.

In any case, grabbing that exact file from the package and dropping it in the folder, allowing it to overwrite the one from the MP5 mod, should fix the problem at the expense of the slot 1 MP5. I'll mess with it when I can and see if I can get it to work with others.

Snowbeat: There is a mod for in-game closed captioning and subtitles, but it's not comprehensive - it seems it doesn't include stalker banters, though it does cover AI barks ("put your weapon away!"), scripted radio chatter and a few other untranslated lines. And like all mods, you have to be kind of careful what you use it with, though it didn't give me any major problems. I've included it in the partial and full packages if you're looking for something ready-made.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just got inside the final area tonight, but I've run out of time to play. Close to finishing.

Finally laid my fast-shooting AK to rest at the start of that bridge way outside, since I knew I wouldn't find much ammo for it and meaner weapons were everywhere. Served me all game long to that point, though, despite having all but one unique weapon.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did I fuck anything up by going to Yantar before X18? I didn't know it was actually part of the main story line. I wanted to do a bit more questing, and after saving the doc, thought I'd pay him a visit. I ended up clearing X16 and doing all of their quests (except the radiation reading quest, which was never offered to me. I ended up doing the whole thing sans psi helmet).

goggles on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I already have CC turned on, thanks Stolls. I wanted something which at least subtitled the banter

I want to know what those stalkers are laughing at

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Yeah I already have CC turned on, thanks Stolls. I wanted something which at least subtitled the banter

I want to know what those stalkers are laughing at

Mostly it's crappy jokes about controllers stealing cars.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    well it would certainly make those nights go by faster

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I hope you will be able to help them rock in Clear Sky.

Time to start thinking of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. band names!

The Blind Dogs.

The Bloodsuckers.

Strelok and the Strelokettes.

Monolith.

Xtarath on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »

The Blind Dogs.

The Bloodsuckers.

Monolith.

The Firestarters!

The Levitators!

...oh, sorry, wrong game.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

The Blind Dogs.

The Bloodsuckers.

Monolith.

in a similar vein:

Bandits
    Stalkers
    Duty
    Freedom

man, i could go on all day

LaCabra on
    edited July 2008
    You know what would be great
    If you could tell neutral stalkers that you were paid to kill this one dude for a good reason
    So they would not try to kill you

glithert on
    edited July 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Finally laid my fast-shooting AK to rest at the start of that bridge way outside, since I knew I wouldn't find much ammo for it and meaner weapons were everywhere. Served me all game long to that point, though, despite having all but one unique weapon.

Oh man that Rapid AK was best weapon I had picked up for a LONG time. It was kind of frustrating to find these cool new guns which werent nearly as good as the trusty ol' scoped AK

Frosty on
    edited July 2008
    I occasionally switched to a few others to try them out; NATO weapons were useful in the Wilds. In the end, though I came back to the AK.

It was tricked out with a scope and (loaded) grenade launcher when I laid it down. I actually did find a little more of its ammo inside the sarcophogus. Sadly it really was just no longer cutting it against the guys with military exosuits, plus I also found the FT-2000 and a Flash Rifle, so ...

My biggest mistake when finally going for the endgame was not bringing the VSS Vintorez. I opted for the Dragunov SVD, a mistake. Pripyat wasn't too bad, and I have plenty of saves to go back to, so I intend to try it again. There was too much good stuff to carry back, but I won't bother; I'll just drop off the AK, replace my tattered armor, and grab what I should have brought the first time.

IceBurner on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't find the Proper Russian names mod anywhere :/

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For some reason, they shorthand it to RuNam Mod on Filefront. Give that a try.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stolls wrote: »
    For some reason, they shorthand it to RuNam Mod on Filefront. Give that a try.

Thanks Stolls! Blowouts are terrifying and I've only experienced two. D:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The Blind Dogs.

The Bloodsuckers.

Monolith.

Whirlgig And The Anomalies! Or Whirlgig and the Crushed Mutants, you decide.

Anyways, where could i find the latest version of OL? I've read through the whole thread and i know there was a new version somewhere, but i have no idea in what page, and i really don't feel like searching through a hundred pages. Besides, after reading just two of these pages i inevitably HAVE to play Stalker. Too much awesome going on to miss it. So, yeah. I would really appreciate it.

Snarkman3 on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now that I have my PC hooked up again, I can give STALKER another shot. Can I mod the Steam version, or should I shell out and buy another, moddable copy?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Now that I have my PC hooked up again, I can give STALKER another shot. Can I mod the Steam version, or should I shell out and buy another, moddable copy?

Ive got the Steam version and was able to successfully get Oblivion Lost running fine. Not sure if there's any mods that conflict with Steam or something.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Steam games are perfectly modable. The only issue you'd have with S.T.A.LK.E.R. is trying to play multiplayer.

So last night I went back to an earlier save and after causing everything to go nuts, I ran back to the bar instead of immediately pressing onward to the endgame. Taking the Vintorrez (and the 800+ ammo I'd stockpiled) made a huge difference. The AK just didn't do enough damage any longer, but the VSS was capable as both a sniper and assault rifle. I actually only lost one companion going through Pripyat.

I also managed to pick up the flash rifle from the sniper atop of the hotel. It was waiting for me in the nest of sandbags in front of the entrance with the lone Monolith soldier. Too bad it had no ammo, so it was useless.

Seems on my 1st endgame attempt the AI went screwy. Must be why I had such an easy time of it despite being severely outgunned. No APCs were moving, every chopper got immediately destroyed by anomalies, and extra troops were dropped directly at the east side of the objective after a long delay, leaving just 2-3 snipers and a few regular troops that I actually had to worry about. Once I got inside, I managed to clear the entrance of a dozen foes and was only seen (and shot at) by the sniper with the flash rifle. The white bar never went up for anyone else.

On this alternate attempt it was a hugely different story. Every time I'd taken out the first 2-3 snipers, multiple choppers were immediately chasing me with rockets and vulcan cannons! As if that wasn't bad enough, the APC was on the move and military troops started to spawn at the level's entrance. There were also far more enemies camped out on the western route to the entrance. I did make it inside and took out that same man with the flash rifle (who was able to see me), but did not have time to proceed any further.

Whether or not it was due to a glitch, I know things can and do turn out differently each time. So much fun! I really can't wait for the sandbox mode GSC said they'd add in a new patch after they finish Clear Sky.

IceBurner on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can someone remind me what S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stands for?

also, I now have 2 saves, one for story line and one for fucking around.

I took out everyone in the bar level stole their stuff and am no trekking to the trader for monnies.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zimfan wrote: »

I took out everyone in the bar level stole their stuff and am no trekking to the trader for monnies.

Scavengers-Thieves-Adventurers-Looters-Killers-Explorers-Robbers.

Professor Phobos on
    edited July 2008
    zimfan wrote: »

Scavengers-Thieves-Adventurers-Looters-Killers-Explorers-Robbers.

This is an amazing name thank you.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok I just bought STALKER on steam, some folks told me that I should install the Oblivion somethingorother mod so I did. Do I need any other mods for this game? Can anyone recommend me any mods that I'll need?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    My biggest mistake when finally going for the endgame was not bringing the VSS Vintorez. I opted for the Dragunov SVD, a mistake.
    Out of curiosity, why do people even like the Dragunov? Aside from the bullet drop, the Vintorez is seemingly better in every way - chest shot insta-kills anyone not in an exo-suit, it's silenced, it's long-ranged, and you find ammo for it on every Dutyer you kill.

Why do people use the Dragunov?

SithDrummer on
    edited July 2008
    I'm certain the Dragunov rifles are for those who missed the the VSS Vintorez. That one, lonesome sniper you encounter at assault rifle range has the big Dragunov. Unlike all the other snipers in the game, he's blatantly obvious, and it's super-easy to collect his gun afterward. It seemed clear the player is meant to find at least this sniper rifle; for the push to the endgame it's sort of neccesary to have one unless you have enough artifacts to run without stopping for 20-30 minutes :)

I didn't actually plan to use the Dragunov SVD. I wound up doing so because I found it as described above and didn't want to go back to The Bar to grab the VSS. As my replay proved, it was definitely a mistake. The Vintorez outclasses it in every way and it's ammo is more common.
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Ok I just bought STALKER on steam, some folks told me that I should install the Oblivion somethingorother mod so I did. Do I need any other mods for this game? Can anyone recommend me any mods that I'll need?
    Honestly, I like the vanilla game. Aside from maybe the float32 shader mod to improve performance (if you need a boost), and some flavor mods such as "Real Gun Names", I don't think anything needs fixing about the retail version.

If you start off your first game with the big mods such as AMK or Oblivion Lost, you'll only give yourself a really hard time because they're utterly brutal. They add a lot of features, but also radically change the game balance, with a hard lean toward "are you freaking serious?" My advice is to play the game through once as unaltered as possible.

The difficulty settings are interesting; normal is actually really spot on for a first time player; lower settings actually make your own damage output and accuracy drop as badly as the enemies'. This turns every gunfight into an ammo-burning slog-fest, but also means you can expose yourself to gunfire and walk away like it was Hollywood.

Higher settings likewise turn up damage and accurracy equally for the player and enemies; if you're quick and accurate you'll kill much faster, but mistakes will also be more punishing.

IceBurner on
    edited July 2008
    MeepZero wrote: »

I'd actually recommend against running Oblivion Lost on your first playthrough, since it changes so much and makes the game seem unbalanced. Instead you should download Stolls mod pack (located in his sig) and install that.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So i'm at the lab before X16 and the scientist won't move close enough to the counter for me to talk to him

Sanius on
    edited July 2008
    Sanius wrote: »
    So i'm at the lab before X16 and the scientist won't move close enough to the counter for me to talk to him

Quicksaving and quickloading usually solves that sort of thing.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh noes, 100 pages. Too bad, because I don't think we'll ever come up with a better thread title (even though I hate quotes in thread titles and think they should just be left off, but I'm OCD like that).

It's lasted over a year, so it's had a good run.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Oh noes, 100 pages. Too bad, because I don't think we'll ever come up with a better thread title (even though I hate quotes in thread titles and think they should just be left off, but I'm OCD like that).

It's lasted over a year, so it's had a good run.

I think it's odd no one pointed out that he only says "Don't stand there!", without the just.

Edit for thread title: Threre's always "Piss off, while you're still alive!"

Xtarath on
    edited July 2008
    I always thought about it after I got the game and reached The Bar, but since the OP is never updated, why bother?

So, who's making a new thread?

IceBurner on
    edited July 2008
    Are you the one they call Marked One?

But then again I'm cheesy.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png