As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling a rare book?

RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just found out that a book I bought in Jr High (I'm not gonna give the name, because I dont want this to look like I'm trying to sell it here) is a first edition and worth a few hundred bucks.

I've never sold a book before, so I was curious if anyone knew of any website or anything that specializes in buying first edition books. Should I just search for local used book stores or are they gonna lowball me? I'd prefer not to use EBay because it can be pretty hit-or-miss. Normally I'd just take my time in finding something like this, but I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and it'd be great to have the extra cash to spend.

Remington on

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of, I've got a 1944 edition of the complete works of Shakespeare. Should that be worth anything?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I looked into this for the mominlaw(She was a book buyer and has a bunch of signed first editions) If you want to get your moneys worth you will need to go thru a bookseller. There are several online, but they will take a commision. It can also take a while, waiting for someone that wants it. Next is Ebay, you might get pretty good money and it will (probably) be quick. However it is also Ebay which can be a pain. Last is the local used book shop. You will get money right now, if it is one they are interested in. You will not get anywhere near its full value, because theywill resale it and need to buy it at a price that allows them to make a profit.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Speaking of, I've got a 1944 edition of the complete works of Shakespeare. Should that be worth anything?

Thanks helpful guy, you are helpful.

fuelish wrote: »
    I looked into this for the mominlaw(She was a book buyer and has a bunch of signed first editions) If you want to get your moneys worth you will need to go thru a bookseller. There are several online, but they will take a commision. It can also take a while, waiting for someone that wants it. Next is Ebay, you might get pretty good money and it will (probably) be quick. However it is also Ebay which can be a pain. Last is the local used book shop. You will get money right now, if it is one they are interested in. You will not get anywhere near its full value, because theywill resale it and need to buy it at a price that allows them to make a profit.

Thanks actually helpful guy, you are actually helpful.

Remington on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try looking it up on Amazon. They have a large selection of books. If it doesn't show up there or nobody has a listing try AbeBooks.com, they are a major place to list rare books.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It doesn't hurt to put it on Amazon. I've never sold anything that expensive, but I've only had them take out money from the shipping cost charged.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You have three options.

1. eBay - a decent number of rare books are sold through here.
    2. Amazon marketplace - less rare editions, and more general things. I wouldn't really go with this unless I really liked Amazon, or couldn't find something else
    3. Specialty book shops. I have one in my town, and it is amazing - the guy can find just about anything. These are usually harder to find unless you have a brick and mortar near where you live.

If you are interested, I can send you the info for my favourite local book shop. I am in Canada, though, so if you are in the States or overseas you would have to find something local if you wanted to sell to a shop rather than through ebay or Amazon.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm gonna look around at all these sites (AbeBooks looks nice) and maybe search for local shops.

And thanks for the offer, saggio. I am in the states, though.

Remington on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've actually bought rare/out-of-print books from Alibris, which you should be able to sell through.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    look up Powells books in Portland Oregon. They are pretty helpful.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My dad has a set of french geneology books depicting the french royal families that was published in 1755.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    You might want to post the title of the book just so you can get more specific advice. Someone may know a place out there that deals with rare books of a specific genre.

Before you take it anywhere, make sure you've confirmed its worth with a second opinion, and in its current condition.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xaquin, if you're looking to sell, I'm looking to buy.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    edit: figured I'd move this to PMs

Xaquin on