As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigabit routers and internets

jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So if I buy a 4-port 10/100/1000 router like this one (newegg)

DLink DGL-4100:
33-127-060-03.jpg

is it going to work with my cable modem which is only 100 megabits?

Meaning, I have 2 computers and a PS3 (all gigabit capable) on my massive LAN (and a cable modem), the connection between the router and cable modem will only be 100bit but if say I'm copying files between the PCs and/or PS3 will it be able to automatically switch to gigabit speeds for the transfers?

Anyone using that DLink router? It's the only one on Newegg that gets decent reviews.. the Linksys one gets shit reviews... How is it for port-forwarding and firewalling and thangs?

(I'm currently using a Linksys BEFSR41 - 4-port 10/100 router, works perfectly but is only 100bit).

jwalk on

• Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anytime a gigabit connection tries to cross the 100mb connection the router will tell it to slow down. If you're a DIYer you can just buy a gigabit switch and make a PFSense box as your router.

If anyone can give their 2 cents as to why this router is only $100 I would be interested. Gigabit switches hardly get this cheap let alone routers.

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well I could just buy a gigabit switch and use the net router I already have, but this thing is supposedly a good gigabit router, and yeah the only ~$100 one worth a damn.

jwalk on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    jwalk wrote: »
    Well I could just buy a gigabit switch and use the net router I already have, but this thing is supposedly a good gigabit router, and yeah the only ~$100 one worth a damn.

To answer your first question, file transfers on your local intranet will be able to use the maximum bandwidth allowed by your computer's I/O, cabling, and router. So that means you could theoretically get up to gigabit speeds, but will be realistically constrained by things like your harddisk and chipset.

Over the larger internet, you should get 10/100 speeds no problem.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I know I'm not going to get a solid 1Gbps on file xfers, but right now I only get about 85Mbps (85% of 100baseT). When I hook up the 2 computers directly I get about 400-450Mbps... big diff.

jwalk on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »

To answer your first question, file transfers on your local intranet will be able to use the maximum bandwidth allowed by your computer's I/O, cabling, and router. So that means you could theoretically get up to gigabit speeds, but will be realistically constrained by things like your harddisk and chipset.

Over the larger internet, you should get 10/100 speeds no problem.
    Huh? This is 1Gbps not 1GBps. 1Gbps ~ 125 MBps which is well within consumer grade HDD speeds. The reason you will not see a full 1Gbps is because windows is not able to handle it. Windows Server 2k3 can only push about 800 Mbps. Winsock ftw, right? :|

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well I ordered one of these puppies, guess I'll be guinea pig...

Most of your average desktop drives top out around 70-80MB/s. Not many can hit 120+ ... burst from the cache maybe but not for long periods.

jwalk on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used one of those through college with 4 roommates on 7 meg cable.

Never had ANY ping issues in games, and this is with 3 other people torrenting all at once. Game Lounge software is AWESOME

1ddqd on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This router will work fine. All ports on (new) D-Link equipment auto-negotiate speed and duplexing. The WAN port on almost all routers is only 10/100Mb anyway, due to the fact that most residential internet service is less than 50Mb.

And to Krikee, This for $100 is not surprising. I bought a similar version of this with wireless about ten months ago for $180, and they've only been getting cheaper.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't even plan to use the "game fuel" software. It's simply replacing a 10/100 router so I can have gigabit speeds when copying large files (10-20GB, hi-def movies and shows) between PCs and/or PS3.

Yea the WAN port is 100Mb, but the cable modem is only 100 anyway, and the service is 6mb with burst to 30. I might upgrade to their 16mbit service (only about $5/mo more) but still... Maybe in a few years we'll have DOCSIS 3.0 but even that won't max out 100bit I don't think (appears early test markets have 50/5).

jwalk on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What they said.

A small note: 100MB auto negotiation is different than 1000MB auto negotiation. Best practice is that speed and duplex on any device that doesn't run at 1GB should be configured manually to prevent duplex mismatches.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The only non-1Gb device is the cable modem, it has no configuration options. I assume that means I'll have to set the other devices for auto-negotiate.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, got it working now I think. The interface is a bit more friendly than the Linksys one, but it's also a bit more complex with the options and the numbers and the digits... oy.

At least I got the main PC setup and Bittorrent ports forwarding, so... :^: Now for the other PC and the PS3...

Oh, one thing.. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE LEDS! No shit, they are bright as hell.. wtf...

Ok update... got everything hooked up, definitely getting gigabit speeds between the 2 PCs (45-50MB/s) but only about 9-10MB/sec to the PS3. That's when copying a video file with Windows Media server (the only way to copy files over the network to the PS3) so I don't know if it's not negotiating gigabit speeds, or if it's a limitation of the PS3 hardware, or the media server software.. Internet speeds are about the same of course.

jwalk on