As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week for 7/23/2008

JoeUserJoeUser Forum SantaRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Graphic Violence
Yes, I already got my comics.

Green Lantern Corps:
Mongul being taken out by Bzzd and the new Green Lantern -- Mercy!

JoeUser on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I forgot my wallet at home today, so I only bought Uncanny and New Avengers. Gonna go back and get the rest of my list tomorrow.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GLC was awesome. One part that was cool but I also hated:
    Mother Mercy getting both a Sinestro ring and Green Lantern ring. I knew a moment like that would happen eventually and it was pretty cool, but I wish it could've lasted for longer than 2 seconds. Could probably get 2 issues out of some alien getting the rings and being all conflicted about which side to join.

Could've been cooler, s'all I'm saying.

Avengers:Initiative was also pretty cool.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Comics don't come out until tomorrow here, but right now I'm going to go ahead and say that my MOTW is finding out that THERE'S A MINI MARVELS TPB!!! On sale!!! Tomorrow!!!

PleaseLetMyComicShopHaveItPleaseLetMyComicShopHaveItPleaseLetMyComicShopHaveIt

Desktop Hippie on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Comics don't come out until tomorrow here, but right now I'm going to go ahead and say that my MOTW is finding out that THERE'S A MINI MARVELS TPB!!! On sale!!! Tomorrow!!!

PleaseLetMyComicShopHaveItPleaseLetMyComicShopHaveItPleaseLetMyComicShopHaveIt

I saw it at my shop, but they only had 1 copy someone had requested. I was really surprised when I saw it!

JoeUser on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The last page of Robin was pretty cool.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2008
    what happened in robin

Whippy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In Uncanny
    Cannonball shows up out of nowhere for two panels with no explanation and singlehandedly defeats Magneto and then disappears for the rest of the issue

At first I was like "That's awesome" but then I realized it just doesn't make sense

deadonthestreet on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In Uncanny
    Cannonball shows up out of nowhere for two panels with no explanation and singlehandedly defeats Magneto and then disappears for the rest of the issue

At first I was like "That's awesome" but then I realized it just doesn't make sense

That's what I would do if I was a superhero. Hit people out of nowhere and then escape before I can be involved in the drama.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ambush Bug was so fucking good.

15xafio.jpg

AmbushBug1-1.jpg

More scans here.

Munch on
    edited July 2008
    Re: Uncanny
    He does explain. He says "Sorry I'm late, I stopped at the Grand Canyon." and he dosen't really "disapear" anymore than Nightcrawler or anyone else does. He just doesn't have any lines afterwards. Lots of characters running around, only so much face time to give.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Why would he do that and how did they even contact him and where was he inthe first place?

deadonthestreet on
    edited July 2008
    Why would he do that and how did they even contact him and where was he inthe first place?

Is there a range limit to Emma's powers?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    He was home in Kentucky, what he was late to was the art exhibit/party thing. He didnt know there was a fight going on until he got there.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Oh well ok then

deadonthestreet on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Ambush Bug was so fucking good.

scans

More scans here.

I want to hang out on Earth Six

JoeUser on
    edited July 2008
    what happened in robin
    Basically, we get some flashbacks to Bruce's isolation ritual in Nanda Parbat (the one that occurred during 52), which mostly consist of Dick and Tim busting criminals together as Tim learns valuable life lessons. These are interspersed with scenes of Tim trying to figure out what's happened to Batman as Spoiler follows him around bitching. Robin offers a briefcase full of money to the Penguin to find Batman before dawn, which sets Spoiler off. "What if they do find Batman?" she asks. "What are you going to do then?" Tim responds with "See if he's all right... I mean, right in the head."

"And if he's not?"

Dramatic splash page of Robin standing against the backdrop of Gotham and the bat signal, saying "Then I'm going to take Batman down."

It was a pretty solid issue all around. I'm pleased.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hahahaha! Love that "next issue" Ambush Bug scan!

Desktop Hippie on
  • watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    what happened in robin
    Basically, we get some flashbacks to Bruce's isolation ritual in Nanda Parbat (the one that occurred during 52), which mostly consist of Dick and Tim busting criminals together as Tim learns valuable life lessons. These are interspersed with scenes of Tim trying to figure out what's happened to Batman as Spoiler follows him around bitching. Robin offers a briefcase full of money to the Penguin to find Batman before dawn, which sets Spoiler off. "What if they do find Batman?" she asks. "What are you going to do then?" Tim responds with "See if he's all right... I mean, right in the head."

"And if he's not?"

Dramatic splash page of Robin standing against the backdrop of Gotham and the bat signal, saying "Then I'm going to take Batman down."

It was a pretty solid issue all around. I'm pleased.

do you typically read robin? i did not click on the spoiler, is it worth reading for the RIP tie-in or does not really tie in at all, like the last issue of detective comics?

watchthesparks on
    edited July 2008
    It directly, significantly tied into R.I.P. I tend to pick up Robin when new arcs or creative teams start to see if it strikes my fancy.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    thanks, i will check it out.

watchthesparks on
    edited July 2008
    also from Uncanny
    Angel taking down a Sentinel by himself. Even if it was off panel, the reveal was fucking rad

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    also from Uncanny
    Angel taking down a Sentinel by himself. Even if it was off panel, the reveal was fucking rad
    That doesn't sound like it makes sense. Can he turn into Archangel at will now, or something?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    also from Uncanny
    That doesn't sound like it makes sense. Can he turn into Archangel at will now, or something?

It's left ambiguous, although I do think that is a possibility.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ambush Bug was hilarious and made no sense at all.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that sounds kind of like the worst idea

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thunderbolts was good, may keep that as a trade-wait after the SI tie-in.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited July 2008
    Is Gage going to be writing Thunderbolts post-SI?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do not currently read any of the X-Books in issue form, but I'm a huge Brubaker fan. Is issue 500 a good time to jump on board?

Also, my moment of the week so far was the the end of Robin. However, I haven't read Daredevil yet, and this current arc has been damn good, so I'm expecting this one to be great also.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2008
    500 is pretty much the definition of a jumping on point, it's one huge setup issue for the next couple years of X-Men

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Awesome. I might go grab it tomorrow. I forgot to get bags and boards today (and I am in desperate need) so I gotta go back to the comic shop.

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I do not currently read any of the X-Books in issue form, but I'm a huge Brubaker fan. Is issue 500 a good time to jump on board?

Also, my moment of the week so far was the the end of Robin. However, I haven't read Daredevil yet, and this current arc has been damn good, so I'm expecting this one to be great also.

Speaking of Daredevil, when does Lady Bullseye start?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    September, if I remember correctly.

He should. he should have some ongoing given to him by now. I mean, really, does he have to develop stigmata or rescue a crippled baby orphanage from zombies before they give him his own ongoing?

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yep, and Gage not only references Ellis's run but his own one-shot issues. Also,
    the last half of the issue is what was shown in Secret Invasion #1 and 3 involving Skrull Captain Marvel.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    I only got the Thunderbolts issue because I started following the Captain Marvel Skrull since his mini and I want some fucking closure with him.

Dareth Ram on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MOTW: Iron Fist still being good and buying 5 trades of Hellboy

valiance on
    edited July 2008
    I really want to read more Hellboy, but I only started with buying the big mclargehuge "library edition" thing of the first two volumes and I don't want to buy the regular paperbacks and have a horrid messy bookshelf of half huge hellboy and half regular hellboy.

Does anyone know when the next big collection thing is being released?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MotW - Black Summer. I hope we see those characters again at some point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really want to read more Hellboy, but I only started with buying the big mclargehuge "library edition" thing of the first two volumes and I don't want to buy the regular paperbacks and have a horrid messy bookshelf of half huge hellboy and half regular hellboy.

Does anyone know when the next big collection thing is being released?

end of october.

long wait, but the library edition is my favorite book, so it will be worth it. every page was so gorgeous.

Angry on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Avengers Initiative is slowly becoming my favorite comic in my entire pull list. This issue was fantastic. I hope Slott and Gage never leave.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Reigner wrote: »
    Avengers Initiative is slowly becoming my favorite comic in my entire pull list. This issue was fantastic. I hope Slott and Gage never leave.

Uh....
    There's a really good chance that the Initiative is going to be cancelled, post-SI.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg