As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Week for 7/23/2008

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Reigner wrote: »
    Avengers Initiative is slowly becoming my favorite comic in my entire pull list. This issue was fantastic. I hope Slott and Gage never leave.

Uh....
    There's a really good chance that the Initiative is going to be cancelled, post-SI.

WHAT?!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's really just speculation on my part, but we know that a high-selling Marvel title is being cancelled post-SI (if Rich Johnson is to be believed). We know that Slott is going full tilt on BND (and I imagine the money from that is substantially better), and that the guy can't really juggle doing multiple books at once. Storyline-wise, we know that the skrulls have infiltrated the Initiative in every state, so there's a story reason for dismantling the organization.

I hope I'm wrong, because I enjoy the book as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eh, I very much doubt that. I think it'll see a change in status quo, but the book sells incredibly well for being comprised mainly of dudes who couldn't ever carry a book by themselves.

Munch on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm also agreeing with the Green Lantern Corps vote.

It was very touching, and honestly this whole story with the Black Mercies has been cool as hell.
    Poor Bzz't. We just met him and just from this issue alone I miss him. Really well written.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's really just speculation on my part, but we know that a high-selling Marvel title is being cancelled post-SI (if Rich Johnson is to be believed). We know that Slott is going full tilt on BND (and I imagine the money from that is substantially better), and that the guy can't really juggle doing multiple books at once. Storyline-wise, we know that the skrulls have infiltrated the Initiative in every state, so there's a story reason for dismantling the organization.

I hope I'm wrong, because I enjoy the book as well.

Seems to me that it would also make sense if either New Avengers or Mighty Avengers was canceled, as I predict that there will be some sort of reconciliation between heroes after all is said and done (as the cover of issue #6 seems to indicate).

That, or it'll be a consolidation that's necessitated by a continued Skrull threat or for Earth's security after the invasion is done

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can see them cancelling a book that sells 50-60k per month (Initiative), but there's no way in hell they're going to merge the Avengers books, not when both books each sell over 100-110k copies per month.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I could see them merging Avengers books if they could somehow ship one book twice a month.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gage is co-writing Initiative now, I dont think its going anywhere

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    the art in JLA is disgusting

i hate you, ed benes

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I really have to wonder if DC even wants JLA to succeed. That's supposed to be one of their flagship books, but it's just been a tremendous mess ever since it launched.

And I even like the cast, and Dwayne McDuffie. But from what little of it I've read, I couldn't be less interested.

Munch on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It feels like the book is being pulled in 10 different directions. McDuffie had to write a tie-in to the Tangent mini without even knowing who the Tangent characters were, his story got relegated to back-ups while Burnett wrote a Salvation Run crossover that didn't even interact with the Salvation Run characters, and now they are doing an Amazo story for the second time since the book launched. Then there's the plot threads set-up by Meltzer that oddly enough Geoff Johns tried to tie up and continue in Booster Gold.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    My MOTW is that badass move Danny does at the end of Iron Fist.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have to say, Two-Face: Year One was pretty neat. Kind of weird that they printed it in what is pretty much TPB format, but oh well.

Other than that, I'm just glad it looks like Iron Fist will still be great even after Fraction's departure.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    the art in JLA is disgusting

i hate you, ed benes

my lcs owner was talking about ed benes one day, mostly positive until i pointed out that he can't draw feet. now he says all he notices is that there's never any feet anywhere.

Angry on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought Two-Face: Year One was pointless. It told a story we already know, except it changed it a little so that Harvey was Two-Face before the acid

I mean, hell, it doesn't even mesh with The Dark Knight, which I assume it's capitalizing on.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i didn't make it to the store today.
    i think i can make it tomorrow, if i have 10 bucks to spare. :\

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Benes' art wouldn't be as bad if the inking wasn't so gross and sketchy. It'd still be terrible, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought Two-Face: Year One was pointless. It told a story we already know, except it changed it a little so that Harvey was Two-Face before the acid

I mean, hell, it doesn't even mesh with The Dark Knight, which I assume it's capitalizing on.

It is fairly pointless, I suppose. But man I just really like Two-Face.

Bastards took advantage of that.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man I thought I'd be able to get over the Land art in Uncanny this week but man it was just so distracting I kept getting pulled out of the story. Dodson's art was beautiful though, only thing I didn't like was in one panel I swear he drew Emma's chest like 500sizes bigger than it normally looks. I'm hoping that Land will get bored/fall behind and get replaced very soon.
    Is Emma really so powerful that she can broadcast Cyclops thoughts to all the remaining muntants at once? I thought not even Xavier could that with out Cerebro. Now granted I've only really been reading X-men stuff (Uncanny) since after the MC

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well it's not like there are very many

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Man I thought I'd be able to get over the Land art in Uncanny this week but man it was just so distracting I kept getting pulled out of the story. Dodson's art was beautiful though, only thing I didn't like was in one panel I swear he drew Emma's chest like 500sizes bigger than it normally looks. I'm hoping that Land will get bored/fall behind and get replaced very soon.
    Is Emma really so powerful that she can broadcast Cyclops thoughts to all the remaining muntants at once? I thought not even Xavier could that with out Cerebro. Now granted I've only really been reading X-men stuff (Uncanny) since after the MC
    The simple answer is that the entire X-Franchise has become shit over the years and they can do whatever they want to.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You're pretty dumb huh

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For not liking books where characters' personalities, powers, and sides change without a moments notice continuously? Yeah, I guess that makes me pretty dumb.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You're talking about this as if it's something new to the X-books.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You're talking about this as if it's something new to any long running comic book franchise.

The X-books have been shit many times, they were shit about 3 years ago. Now though? Best they have been in a long long time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, Bzzd was awesome in GLC. It sucks that we won't have the contrast of size in his sector. I always thought it was cool that his partner in his sector was Mogo.

Iron Fist was pretty good, I just hope the artist can settle down a little bit. He got a bit sloppy in some places.

Black Summer ended a bit differently than I expected, but it was still pretty good. I thought it was funny that all the guys died and all the girls lived.

EDIT: Also, that Mini Marvels digest is awesome.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God the Daredevil cover was so awesome.

also,

I think the bad guy behind this arc is the 616 version of Henry Rawlins.

In other news, this week's Joker's Asylum was awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I read JLA for the first time in months and it was...like the first six issues rehashed in one, pretty much.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    You're talking about this as if it's something new to any long running comic book franchise.

The X-books have been shit many times, they were shit about 3 years ago. Now though? Best they have been in a long long time.

I'd say they peaked before Messiah Complex. Carey's Supernova arc was a solid read, X-Factor was incredible, New X-Men wasa tonne of fun, Brubaker's Uncanny was still the weak link, but Shi'ar wasn't terrible.

Post MC has the entire line screwing the pooch with X-Force about the only good book and that's quickly losing its appeal with all the random killing and nostolgia factor for the villains wearing off. X-Factor is showing signs of recovery after losing several core members. Most have gone into decline if you ask me after several years of consistent improvements.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

I'd say they peaked before Messiah Complex. Carey's Supernova arc was a solid read, X-Factor was incredible, New X-Men wasa tonne of fun, Brubaker's Uncanny was still the weak link, but Shi'ar wasn't terrible.

Post MC has the entire line screwing the pooch with X-Force about the only good book and that's quickly losing its appeal with all the random killing and nostolgia factor for the villains wearing off. X-Factor is showing signs of recovery after losing several core members. Most have gone into decline if you ask me after several years of consistent improvements.

You're crazy - I think Legacy is even better than Carey's pre-MC X-Men, and it's far to soon to pass judgment on Uncanny since the Bru/Frac run has had exactly one issue.

You said yourself you like X-Force (as do I), X-Factor is the same its always been (although I dont like the new artist).

The weak link is Young X-Men, which just isn't very good. Which is a shame, but hardly line-killing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Losing Whedon is a huge blow to the overall quality of the line.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thats true, but Astonishing came out so infrequently it was more of a sattelite book. Plus Wolverine's solo title is amazing again now.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Carey's pre MC X-Men was way worse then Uncanny and Legacy. The only half decent arc was the Marauder attack and that was basicly the MC prelude.

The Children of the Vault story already sucked way back when it was the same story about The Neo and both the arc with Rogue getting infected with Strain something and the Hecatomb arc were pretty stupid as well.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed Carey's X-Men, although I think he suffered a bit from the same thing Brubaker complained about - the fact that Astonishing had monopolized all the big players and so those 2 books had to sort of throw together makeshift teams.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Which is another reason I like this new direction by the way - getting all the mutants in one place with one core book, while allowing the rest of the line to fill various niches. I never liked the multiple team thing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hold on - MINI MARVELS digest? I need more information.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's a digest.

Of mini marvels comics.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

This doesn't surprise me. Joker's Asylum and Two-Face: Year One are both obviously cash-in titles, which could almost explain how horrible each is.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Joker's Asylum: Penguin wasn't bad, though it left me with a profound feeling of despair.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's true, I suppose.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png