As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Guys, I'm sorry I forgot I made this thread. Arthil will be taking over with the next one. In the meantime, this post on NeoGAF has a lot of great info.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418136

PENNY ARCADE can be found on:

Death & Glory (Heroes - PVP)
Darkness Falls (Villains - PVE)

Send BEAST! a PM if you are interested in joining in on PS3 PVP action.

ARTHIL/HAILESTRO'S BIG GIANT POST OF IMPORTANCE!whichwillprobablybebottompage'd

Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

PAers Currently Not In League as far as I know:

The Cow King - Dr Payback
TexiKen - USAgent
Arcath - Hesperos
MikeMcSomething - Quicks
JimJimBinks - Observer
jdarksun - Ballista
Foefaller - Grey Knight & Ignatia & others yet to be determined
Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
Hypertime - Hypertime I'm a nooooooooooooooooob
PikaPuff - Wincest

THIS IS WHERE DUDES IN THE LEAGUE ALREADY PUT THEIR NAMES MMM'KAY?:

Arthil - Hailestro
LockedOnTarget - Spitfire
TaliosFalcon - Rakaos
Khildith - Khildith/Dysphoros
Silas Brown - Iceclasp
Mazzyx - Brokenhawk
AspectVoid - Vihar
Mugginns - Tornado
MajorTremor - Sizzle
Barrabas - Mystic Shard
Vinter - Vinter
Kevin Crist - Ananse
Aistan - Inferno Rose
Just_Bri_Thanks - Flying Fox
Maguano - Wolfpack
CorriganX - Croissanwich
Island - Slyde
Evigilant- Evigilant
damval - Star Breaker
BloodyRoarXX - Final Justice
Witch_Hunter_84 - Punchkicker

Ceno on

• MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I wish I could be excited about this.

You were excited enough to make a thread about it :P

As a DC fanboy, I'm only "sort of" excited about this game. Champions Online and Cryptic already have me wrapped around their finger with everything they're promising. I will say I'm glad they chose to base the game's look on Jim Lee's style. But it's going to be difficult for SOE to lure in the few people out there who aren't looking forward to CO and want a good superhero MMO, in addition to..well, the fact that they're SOE.

Admittedly I'm jealous that DCUO will be on the PS3 in addition to the PC, since while I'm definitely looking forward to Champions, I'm not looking forward to having to deal with the Xbox Live community (assuming that PC users and Xbox users are sharing the same servers), which is slightly above WoW in terms of worst online community ever.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    3) It's being developed by SOE

:|

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    3) It's being developed by SOE

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Who's SOE?
    I'm a bad person for not knowing, huh?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sony Online Entertainment.

Decently respectable until they released Star Wars Galaxies. And some other stuff that's not so good.

Crapfestival on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Decently respectable until they released Star Wars Galaxies. And some other stuff that's not so good.

No, respectable until they "fixed" SWG.

Tav on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be a hero who uses guns and team up with batman

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope that your superhero is named "Gun Man".

zanetheinsane on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know how I feel about this game. I think one of the things I like about CoH/CO is that my character is never really overshadowed by anyone else. Where as in DC Online, there's Super Man, a hero who no player character will ever be able to match. I have a feeling that your going to end up playing tag along/side kick to all the DC hero's and you'll never really do anything for your self. Who saved the world? Super Man. Oh, and some of these other guys helped as well.

Champions seems to have it right in my mind. You make a Hero, and you make his Nemesis who shows up to fight you through out your adventures. While fighting the Joker or Mr. Freeze would be fun, I think its more entertaining when its someone you thought up your self.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Name him 'Ishotthewaynes'

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

looking forward to another RP rich universe

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I have had a poor opinion of SOE since some of the EQ1 craziness. I don't like heavy-handed admins.

GungHo on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    You were excited enough to make a thread about it :P

As a DC fanboy, I'm only "sort of" excited about this game. Champions Online and Cryptic already have me wrapped around their finger with everything they're promising. I will say I'm glad they chose to base the game's look on Jim Lee's style. But it's going to be difficult for SOE to lure in the few people out there who aren't looking forward to CO and want a good superhero MMO, in addition to..well, the fact that they're SOE.

Admittedly I'm jealous that DCUO will be on the PS3 in addition to the PC, since while I'm definitely looking forward to Champions, I'm not looking forward to having to deal with the Xbox Live community (assuming that PC users and Xbox users are sharing the same servers), which is slightly above WoW in terms of worst online community ever.
    As opposed to the shining beacons that are PC Gamers and PS3 Gamers? Lets face it: everyone sucks monkeyballs and is a dimwitted fratboy/mouth breather/high-pitch voiced child with a superiority complex.

Aldo on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

looking forward to another RP rich universe

Katwomyn's exciting ERP adventures with Bruce Payne the caped gunfighting crusader!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As opposed to the shining beacons that are PC Gamers and PS3 Gamers?

I don't remember praising either the PC or PS3 communities in my post, but in this case, I find both of them the lesser evils over the Live community.
    Lets face it: everyone sucks monkeyballs and is a dimwitted fratboy/mouth breather/high-pitch voiced child with a superiority complex.

I've been pretty successful in avoiding most of the kinds of people you're referring to, I must be lucky. Which is surprising considering how much TF2 I clock in, but I'd say 8/10 games I play go without any "problems" no homophobic-smack talking little kids or beer-bong wielding fratboys.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    As opposed to the shining beacons that are PC Gamers and PS3 Gamers?

I don't remember praising either the PC or PS3 communities in my post, but in this case, I find both of them the lesser evils over the Live community.
    Lets face it: everyone sucks monkeyballs and is a dimwitted fratboy/mouth breather/high-pitch voiced child with a superiority complex.

I've been pretty successful in avoiding most of the kinds of people you're referring to, I must be lucky. Which is surprising considering how much TF2 I clock in, but I'd say 8/10 games I play go without any "problems" no homophobic-smack talking little kids or beer-bong wielding fratboys.

Damn, lucky bastard. I just keep running into piss poor specimen of the human race.

Anyway, instead of hatin' on the human race, lets turn our eye to the superhuman race instead. Has there been any word on a release date yet?

Aldo on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Updated original post with hands-on impressions from IGN. And got rid of that obnoxiously large picture.

Ceno on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So uhh...I watched some gameplay trailers anddd...this...looks...fun...?

The battles, while chaotic, look fluid, defenitely a step up from usual MMO combat from what I have seen.

Champions Online seems to have more innovations as far as other things are concerned, but I will defenitely keep an eye out for this one. For pre-whatever build it looks very good.

DarkCrawler on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    City of Heroes/Villains: DC Edition would have been enough for me to buy this.

But now I'll probably just get the Trial and ttry it.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • TequilaDysonTequilaDyson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    From the interview:

IGN: The first thing that jumps to my mind is that if I'm a villain and I get locked up in Arkham, what happens to my game?

John Blakely: Well, you don't get locked up in Arkham. You'll get knocked out. There will be some penalties for those kinds of things. You won't actually be sitting in a cell looking out, and just hoping that some day someone will come rescue you. Now, however, you can go into Arkham as a villain or as a hero and help free those other characters that may be locked in there -- maybe amass those characters and then go raid the Batcave if you're good enough.

----

/LFG 50 ninja, lfg batcave

/gu woot! Alfred just dropped a +5 cloak of punching and I won the roll!
    <guild> L@dy Sh1v@ says, "Grats."
    <guild> Tangerine_Arrow says, "Grats."
    <guild> Battmannn32 says, "Grats."

TequilaDyson on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Who's SOE?
    I'm a bad person for not knowing, huh?
    20060301h.jpg

I can't believe nobody has linked this one yet.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You know I'm not a SOE fan, of course, but I'm pretty excited about this. My buddy played it at Comic-Con and said it plays like an Action-Oriented CoH, which is fantastic because the only thing I didn't like in CoH was the combat.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    As fun as the premise sounds, I just don't think SOE is capable of making a game I'll like.

Teth on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't see how someone would not describe CoH as action oriented. It's the most action oriented MMO I've played.

It's like saying DCUO tastes more like oranges than oranges

Scooter on
    edited July 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I can't see how someone would not describe CoH as action oriented. It's the most action oriented MMO I've played.

It's like saying DCUO tastes more like oranges than oranges
    CoX is not much of an action game compared to ..say.. Prince of Persia, though. I think that is what they were hinting at.

Aldo on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mage portals in WoW aren't enough like portals in Portal.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited July 2008
    I've tried PoP and it was dissapointingly low action. 1 minute of fighting followed by 10 minutes of falling off walls.

I guess I'm one of the few who went into it not expecting a puzzle game though.

Scooter on
    edited July 2008
    I've tried PoP and it was dissapointingly low action. 1 minute of fighting followed by 10 minutes of falling off walls.

ARASDGLKJSDF

You did understand my point, right? Do I have to come up with a dozen other examples of action games and then write a paper about the differences between those games and CoX?

Aldo on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    THE SKY IS NOT BLUE ENOUGH

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

ARASDGLKJSDF

You did understand my point, right? Do I have to come up with a dozen other examples of action games and then write a paper about the differences between those games and CoX?
    Yes, and then have it on my desk by Friday. Remember, this is a final and will be worth 75% of your grade for the quarter.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited July 2008
    My point was PoP sucks a cock

Scooter on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can see how being reminded of your mom could kill the atmosphere.

Glal on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PoP is one of my favorite games of last generation! But not for the combat.

The combat in DCUO is one of those things I'm just going to have to try out first. From the videos it doesn't look very exciting, except for shooting cars out of someone's hands with laser eyes.
    At the same time CO's combat doesn't look very good from videos either. I appreciate they are both trying to do something more real time than a traditional MMO but I just need to try it to see how I like it.

Accualt on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So uhh...how are they going to handle Green Lantern rings, exactly? Just pretend the guardians never recruit? Or randomly choose someone and flag their account for a Green Lantern corp character/Sinestro corp villain.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2008
    So uhh...how are they going to handle Green Lantern rings, exactly? Just pretend the guardians never recruit? Or randomly choose someone and flag their account for a Green Lantern corp character/Sinestro corp villain.
    Or be practical about it and only pick those parts of the comics that work out in a MMO setting? Unless I missed something and DC is one consistent world where there is no retcon.

Aldo on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, something is telling me you'll never be able to join the Lantern Corps. You'll be X - The guy with super speed, Y the lady with flight and super strength, Z - The guy who controls fire. Really basic powers, if you will.

Raggaholic on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One of the interviews with Lee said you can't join the corps. You can have a ring that gives you your powers but it isn't a Green Lantern ring.

Accualt on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I just being picky, or is that character`animation' really jarring?

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Character animations look like placeholders. If they're NOT placeholders, it's stiffer than several free Korean MMORPGs.

I don't dig the shaders either. But I DO like the models, scenery and particle effects.

aunsoph on
This discussion has been closed.