As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game ON] Atlantica Online Closed Beta- LIMITED KEYS available at MMORPG.com

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
CLICK HERE to go over to MMORPG.com and get your Atlantica Online Closed Beta key.
view_character10.jpg

Atlantica Online
"A New Adventure in Strategic Turn-Based MMORPGs"

Official Site
Game Guide
Interactive Game Map

What is this?

This thread didn't do so well in regular G&T. Then I realized that it belongs here anyway. This is what I'm currently playing, waiting for WAR.. maybe you'll wanna play it too? So, what is it? Atlantica Online is a turn-based strategic MMORPG. Think pseudo JRPG-combat, guild-wars overworld play, diablo item whoring, and a whole bunch of other mechanics wrapped into one.

You begin by creating a character:

Your most important choice is your weapon. You'll choose from a sword, spear, axe, gun, bow, cannon, or staff. Each has it's own pros and cons, special abilities, and accompanying limitations for your character. For example, I chose to wield a bow for my character, essentially making him a "Ranged" class. He can only wear items geared toward that class.

But wait! The fun part is after you log in, when you get to pick your first 3 mercenaries. You begin with a selection from:
img_mercenary01_01.jpg
img_mercenary01_02.jpg

img_mercenary02_01.jpg
img_mercenary02_02.jpg

img_mercenary03_01.jpg
img_mercenary03_02.jpg

img_mercenary04_01.jpg
img_mercenary04_02.jpg

As you level up and gain new skills, items, and abilities, you also unlock extra mercenary slots. Eventually, you'll get to pick from such cool dudes as:
img_mercenary11_01.jpg
img_mercenary11_02.jpg

img_mercenary08_01.jpg
img_mercenary08_02.jpg

img_mercenary06_01.jpg
img_mercenary06_02.jpg
...and more. Your mercenaries can also level up to different classes. Every single unit in your party can be outfitted, skilled up, leveled up, and essentially grows along with your main character. They even age as you play, although I'm not sure how that affects them at this point.

Here are some screenshots. It's your typical Korean MMO, following in the graphical stylings of Lineage II and many games after it, but it's still pretty slick. The animations aren't too crappy and the actual handling of the game is fairly smooth.
view_screen12.jpg
view_screen10.jpg
view_screen07.jpg
view_screen05.jpg

Here are some videos with some gameplay footage. Some of them are in Korean (I think?) but the beta right now is English.

So what is there to do? Right now, it is very quest-centered. The quests mainly involve going to kill a certain number of mobs or collect a certain number of items, but the combat is so much different than your typical MMO that I'm still intrigued. I also take a strange delight in constantly outfitting my entire party in better and better gear. That, and I really want to get my dudes leveled to the next class to see what that's like.

Here are some of the things you can do:

Crafting

This involves simply learning a crafting skill, choosing an item to craft, and waiting it out. You need to actually go fight battles for the crafting bar to complete over time, so it's kind of a "background" affair. So far I've only messed around with creating potions and stuff, but there are a whole ton of crafting skills that I havn't even bothered with so far.

Enchanting

This involves taking two of the same item and combining it with a required number of "enchant stones." If you take two spirit swords, for example, you'll get Spirit Sword + 1. You can keep combining and combining to get higher and higher modifiers. Right now, my Spirit Bow + 5 graces my main character, and I'm too stubborn to replace it because it took a LOT of regular bows to make it.

Item Whoring

A neat little dynamic they've got here is that items don't simply drop. Instead, you get item "boxes." Using the box will give you a random item based on your current party. This way, you're never stuck with a cannon, for example, if you don't have a gunner in your group.

Capturing Cities

I'm not sure how this works yet, but involves guilds and gives you access to special shit: extra quickslots on your characters and what not.

The game is in closed beta right now, but you can get a key if you're a fileplanet subscriber. Otherwise, I guess you would have had to have signed up. I don't see an open beta being far off, since this is one of those "free to play with pay to play options" kind of games... and they tend to get released pretty quickly.

Some more sites are partnering up to release closed beta keys. Check here to see if there are any left.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh hey, guess what? I have an extra key. Who wants it?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    strategic turn-based you say? i'll gladly take that extra key off your hands...

tehmarken on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And for those lazy jerks.. there is actually a feature where it will automatically move you to your next objective in your current quest.

You'll see a lot of "Licenses" in the game. The "Auto Move" license, lasting 14 days. The "Patrol" license, lasting 7. These are basically like really really long "buffs" that do different things. Right now you get them free through quests and what not, but at launch these will be the ways the company makes money....

Want to see your enemy's health during combat? That can happen for the next 7 days.. for.... $$$

Figgy on
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this looks like fun. if anyone has an extra key they could PM my way that would be sweet!

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game sort of reminds me of Tactica Online as far as the premise behind its gameplay goes. Thanks for the heads up about this, I saw the Fileplanet beta and read the first six words of the description and thought, "oh, another Korean MMO, PASS." I think I shall have to give it the old college try.

SammyF on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They lost me at turn based. Since when is that a new and exciting feature?

At least you can't blame lag in this game, I guess! *waits 10 mins* Yeah, Jim must be lagging because it's been his turn like...forever.

Doomulon on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    They lost me at turn based. Since when is that a new and exciting feature?

At least you can't blame lag in this game, I guess! *waits 10 mins* Yeah, Jim must be lagging because it's been his turn like...forever.

Nah, rounds are timed, so lag can still be a factor. If you're lagging on your turn badly, you could "wake up" on the next guy's turn.

New and exciting, no. New and exciting in an MMO? Yes.

Figgy on
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The CB keys for non-Fileplanet subscribers are active now. I got mine really easy by signing up at onrpg.com.

Any interest in a guild? I'm level 20 now so I can form one if a couple people are willing to join... name suggestions would be appreciated too.

Mith on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, color me intrigued. Got my Fileplanet key, queuing up for download now. I usually have no interest in the Korean style MMO's, but I'll give this a shot.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So is there no torrent for the client?

Norgoth on
    edited July 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So is there no torrent for the client?

I havn't bothered looking. With a FP subscription, it was downloaded in a matter of hours.

Figgy on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm playing it now, though a little confused on some stuff, not bad though, probably waste some time on this while I wait for warhammer online to open up.

In game name is vechloran, give me a shout out.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll get this once i get home tomorrow. Looks good. If theres a guild, i'll join up.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    edited July 2008
    I did start a guild, called DeepCrows (my IGN is Reana). If you're interested, I think you should be able to apply from the Guild Office in any city - post in here with your IGN and we'll be good.

For finding it in the list: the guild number is apparently 238. I don't know if that's permanent or changes based on ranking.

Mith on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not at home right now or I'd be playing already... I've been looking for a turn based MMO for a very long time. That crappy little anime one really did nothing for me. Can't wait to get home on Friday and start downloading this.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    I'm not at home right now or I'd be playing already... I've been looking for a turn based MMO for a very long time. That crappy little anime one really did nothing for me. Can't wait to get home on Friday and start downloading this.

You're not talking about Wakfu, are you? Please tell me you just played the shitty Dofus instead. Because if you were in the Wakfu beta and it sucked, I'll be very sad. D:

aunsoph on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Dofus. Sucked. Badly too. I didn't get my money's worth and it was free. Haven't heard of wakfu... (peering intently) gonna check that out.

e: Dofus 2.0? No thanks.

Dyvion on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Think pseudo JRPG-combat, guild-wars overworld play, diablo item whoring, and a whole bunch of other mechanics wrapped into one.

Aaand window closed. Thankfully the anti-JRPG legions grow every day. One day we will purge those horrid blights from the world.

Oddjob187 on
  • WaterrmelonnWaterrmelonn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is the swordsman class a guy or a girl? I cannot tell

Waterrmelonn on
    PSN username-Buddyn69
    MGO-waterrmelonn
    Steam friends-waterrmelonn
    edited July 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    Think pseudo JRPG-combat, guild-wars overworld play, diablo item whoring, and a whole bunch of other mechanics wrapped into one.

Aaand window closed. Thankfully the anti-JRPG legions grow every day. One day we will purge those horrid blights from the world.

I come down pretty hard on battle systems in games I play, and while Atlantica is certainly no Disgaea I wouldn't do it the disservice of describing it as having stereotypical JRPG combat. The closest analogue is Riviera.

Mith on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Atlantica is too deep, too complex, and too fun for me to cover it all in only two pages.

http://tentonhammer.com/node/38813

Ten Ton Hammer has been pushing AO for a while now, so might want to take it with a grain of salt. I played for about an hour or two and thought it had promise (at least the combat, if you're into turn based). Still, the first few quests are all Kill Ten Rats so it may just end up being your typical F2P grind, but slower :)

beta.lyrae on
    edited July 2008
    The first ten levels were pretty good actually for being a tutorial on how the game works. Shoot, I'm up to lvl13 and still every so often the next quest teaches me something new, which is fine since its not like I'm trying to smash my way through the content.

I would also say the first 10 levels are nothing like the later combat when your enemies start using magic and strategy (aka they will attempt to gang bang your team members if they think they can kill them, and they often can if your not quick). I'm glad I spent the 3 or so hours to get past the tutorial stage and on to the meat which is proving to be tasty.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited July 2008
    I'm in my low 20s, and most of my mercs are upgraded to the next level.

The quests don't get any better. The story-lines are poorly written, hard to follow, and culminate in you killing a specific amount of odd enemies. Fuck, one quest had me killing "Female otters." They looked like ferrets, and they had huge metal blades attached to their backs.

I was somewhat disappointed when I realized that most gear doesn't actually show up on your mercs. I was even more disappointed when I saw that your mercs still don't change appearance after upgrading them. When you do it, a little box shows what they would looked like upgraded, but they look the exact same when you enter combat.

All of this, and I've noticed the game slows down substantially now that there are dozens of players crowding the very path-like world map.

Figgy on
    edited July 2008
    Don't say it's bad! Don't say that... I still have my hopes up for when I get home friday... please don't crush my dreams.

In my head this is Final Fantasy Tactics Online.

Let me disappoint myself!

Also, please give a play by play of the combat, if you don't mind. Like, running around, sudden random battle, set up your side of the map, move, move, shoot, annihilate, slash, hack, move, obliterate... Uh, but a little more detail than that. plzkthnx.

I live in a fantasy world btw.

Dyvion on
    edited July 2008
    Don't say it's bad! Don't say that... I still have my hopes up for when I get home friday... please don't crush my dreams.

In my head this is Final Fantasy Tactics Online.

Let me disappoint myself!

Also, please give a play by play of the combat, if you don't mind. Like, running around, sudden random battle, set up your side of the map, move, move, shoot, annihilate, slash, hack, move, obliterate... Uh, but a little more detail than that. plzkthnx.

I live in a fantasy world btw.

It's not FF:Tactics. You don't actually move around while you're in battle. You can change formation, but there is no movement phase like Tactics.

Moving around in the actual world works exactly like Guild Wars. You can use WSAD or you can click-to-move. When you first start out, you won't enter combat unless you actually initiate it with a mob you see. As you get higher, mobs will attack you if you're nearby. So far, I havn't experienced any "random" battles, so I think you usually see the actual mob moving around... when you enter combat it goes to that phase and that single evil unicorn is now an entire battalion.

So yeah, you are thinking FF:Tactics, but this is more FF.

Figgy on
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    It's not FF:Tactics. You don't actually move around while you're in battle. You can change formation, but there is no movement phase like Tactics.

Moving around in the actual world works exactly like Guild Wars. You can use WSAD or you can click-to-move. When you first start out, you won't enter combat unless you actually initiate it with a mob you see. As you get higher, mobs will attack you if you're nearby. So far, I havn't experienced any "random" battles, so I think you usually see the actual mob moving around... when you enter combat it goes to that phase and that single evil unicorn is now an entire battalion.

So yeah, you are thinking FF:Tactics, but this is more FF.

Sigh. One day it will exist. And I will fall in love. And my wife will slap me for playing too long. But I suppose this will suffice for now.

Someone earlier said it was kinda like Riviera (which I thoroughly enjoyed), would you say it's like that? That'd be at least somewhat cool.

Dyvion on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I ought to check this out so that my fileplanet membership I've been too lazy to cancel is useful for something.

DiscoZombie on
    edited July 2008
    truthfully, I gave up on "story line" missions even during WoW, and that supposedly has some of the best. frankly theres not much they can do story line wise in MMO's since you never get to really change the game world unless your in some elite guild doing the gate opening of some new place that requires tons of hours of server work for one person to get a spiffy item (I was in the guild, no I wasn't the one getting the item, yes it was a collosal waste of time).

So, being able to auto-move to the next quest giver, get their missions, kill some things, is still better then just being told theres an area to grind for nothing. Sometimes I might even read what the NPC's are saying.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited July 2008

The quests don't get any better. The story-lines are poorly written, hard to follow, and culminate in you killing a specific amount of odd enemies. Fuck, one quest had me killing "Female otters." They looked like ferrets, and they had huge metal blades attached to their backs.

I was somewhat disappointed when I realized that most gear doesn't actually show up on your mercs. I was even more disappointed when I saw that your mercs still don't change appearance after upgrading them. When you do it, a little box shows what they would looked like upgraded, but they look the exact same when you enter combat.

All of this, and I've noticed the game slows down substantially now that there are dozens of players crowding the very path-like world map.

The merc models do change appearance in combat after their upgrade. There's a clear, though not enormous, difference between my Swordsman and Sword Fighter. There was also a patch last night - we'll see if the lag is any better today or in the near future.

Just a reminder that people playing should join the guild! This opens up a third usable item slot on your characters (not really that necessary early on, but not bad) and more importantly your presence and doing guild quests gets points that we need if we ever want to run a city, which might be kind of neat.

Mith on
    edited July 2008
    Mith wrote: »

The merc models do change appearance in combat after their upgrade. There's a clear, though not enormous, difference between my Swordsman and Sword Fighter. There was also a patch last night - we'll see if the lag is any better today or in the near future.

Just a reminder that people playing should join the guild! This opens up a third usable item slot on your characters (not really that necessary early on, but not bad) and more importantly your presence and doing guild quests gets points that we need if we ever want to run a city, which might be kind of neat.

So I'll be starting my download when I get home around noonish on friday, so do I need to contact someone, or put in an application... or whathaveyou... how do I join the guild?

Dyvion on
    edited July 2008

So I'll be starting my download when I get home around noonish on friday, so do I need to contact someone, or put in an application... or whathaveyou... how do I join the guild?

There are 2 ways you can either look through the guild recruiting things and it will let you PM the leader or whatever officer is on. Or there is also the guild listings that has all the guilds and it lets you put in a request that will show up to the leader.

Do we have some sort of official PA guild. Right now I have just been hanging with a guild called NOOB.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited July 2008
    Penny arcade guild is number 238 on the list of guilds in the guild hall, and is called Deep Crows.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited July 2008
    Do we have some sort of official PA guild.

That's the idea, anyway.

Because we're not actively recruiting outside of PA I haven't put up a guild ad, so what you'll need to do, Dyvion, is go to the guild office in any city, click on Guild List, go to page 15 where DeepCrows is listed, click on our guild, and as long as you're not currently in another guild you should see the option to apply.

Mith on
    edited July 2008

I don't think they do. You see a change when you upgrade them in a little preview window (spikes on the shoulder) but later that change goes away when you enter combat.

Your shield and your weapon are the only things that change appearance on your mercs, from what I've seen... and I've upgraded: Swordsman, Spearman, and Shaman.

Figgy on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe in the release version you can see your mercs change appearance as they level if you make another one of those nifty weekly micropayments.... :?

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Penny arcade guild is number 238 on the list of guilds in the guild hall, and is called Deep Crows.

Applied to the guild. My characters name is Kardis.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited July 2008

I don't think they do. You see a change when you upgrade them in a little preview window (spikes on the shoulder) but later that change goes away when you enter combat.

Your shield and your weapon are the only things that change appearance on your mercs, from what I've seen... and I've upgraded: Swordsman, Spearman, and Shaman.

The preview window shows you what you will get once you upgrade your current merc - spikes on the shoulder are the second upgrade on the Swordsman path. Sword Fighters, the first upgrade, get black pads along the upper arms.

Mith on
    edited July 2008

The preview window shows you what you will get once you upgrade your current merc - spikes on the shoulder are the second upgrade on the Swordsman path. Sword Fighters, the first upgrade, get black pads along the upper arms.

Well, the change was so insignificant that I could not tell the difference between the two: I had one upgraded and one not beside each other in battle.

Figgy on
  • BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game is pretty fun. It's nothing groundbreaking but seems like a nice little change to the standard MMORPG formula. The battle system is pretty neat, basically as said a FF type system, but when you get a party and there's 3 groups (imagine 3 groups in FF!) it gets pretty awesome. I'm around level 20, not sure how the fun will continue if it starts to become a grind, but so far so good. The world map being the actual Earth is kind of cool too, and the auto-run to quest locations is amazing. Don't be alarmed about the "closed" beta fileplanet stuff, on the main page there's a link to get keys and you can get them from any of those pages they list (got mine from Warcry). Give it a try if you are bored, I guarantee it will hold your attention for at least a little while. The art style reminds me, and the whole game a little bit, of Sword of the New World, so that's not really a good thing, but we'll see. As long as the grind doesn't get crazy (but it is a Korean game so here's to hoping) it shouldn't be a problem.

Baratus on
    PSN: Baratus_JT
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok so ive applied for the crows. Is it just me or am I the only person who picked staff for the main guy?

Norgoth on