As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

sugg for fixing over use of quotes?

Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
You know, the actual number of sentences on a page of forum posts is really small. Why is everyone so in love with the quote button? Typically a post has 8 lines of quote for every 1 line of response. It makes reading posts a pain since I end up re-reading the same stuff over and over.

So my idea for a fix is to make the quote show up in a flying div; it would only be visible when you moused over it. That would eliminate a lot of the visual clutter.

Maybe I'm the only one that gets annoyed by this ? :|

Boot2TheHead on

• Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Maybe an option for collapsing quotes? Limiting quote levels?

Boot2TheHead on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know, the actual number of sentences on a page of forum posts is really small. Why is everyone so in love with the quote button? Typically a post has 8 lines of quote for every 1 line of response. It makes reading posts a pain since I end up re-reading the same stuff over and over.

So my idea for a fix is to make the quote show up in a flying div; it would only be visible when you moused over it. That would eliminate a lot of the visual clutter.

That kind of a change isn't going to occur any time soon.

Also, quote trees are awesome. Why would anyone want to hide them?

jothki on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    I'm from Fidonet. Back then we yelled at people for quoting more than one sentence from each part of the message you reply to.

Alas, if I kept up that level of shouting here I'd lose my voice within the hour.

Echo on
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The problem with your suggestion is that it would require some significant amount of coding and access to the forum software; two things to which 99.9% of the people here have no access.

Also, there's already a thread designed specifically for suggestions like these. Check it out.

thegloaming on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It also depends on which sub-forum you are posting in. In D&D, quotes can be vital to the topic, especially in long threads that have several lines of conversation or debate going on in the same thread.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

After you've been here for a while, you learn to just skip over quotes. I would prefer /b/-style post references, but that would probably require some modification to a forum system that is (according to Alpha) held together with duct tape and prayer.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Change is bad!

This is unecessary, and I like it the way it is.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I trim quotes when need be to be polite. Don't we have a rule that asks the same, or something similar?

Either way, I'd rather it not be automated, I can definitely see that getting annoying. Plus I like a good quote tree from time to time. <3

Mitten on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think long quote trees stopped being a problem with the advent of the scroll wheel. And honestly, I rarely see someone quoting a huge post just to give a one sentence reply. When it does happen it's usually someone trying to be funny or trying to start a quote tree, both of which are easily ignorable.

Plus having to constantly mouse over to see what someone is replying to would be a pain in the ass. It's better than having to go back several pages to see what someone is responding to, but still stupid just so you don't have to scroll past a few lines of text.

Invisible on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to admit I don't understand the obsession with the quote button either. What I really don't get is when someone quotes an OP on the very next post with some short response.

Why would you need to quote the OP? I'm sure some of it is just habit. You get a huge discussion going on with lots of points raised and many simultaneous conversations going on and hey..using the quote button is understandable in that case. But when you are having a fairly isolated conversation and its painfully obvious who you're responding to, why use the quote?

but as much as I don't get it need to overuse quotes unless it degenerates into a huge quote tree..its not hurting anything either so...whatever. I'm just glad to see im not the only one who thinks quotes were overused

VoodooV on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Echo on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought the exact same thing when I saw it Echo. Let's make quote love.

JAEF on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Would it be technically possible to have an anchor set past all the quotes in a particular post, and provide a link at the top of said post that skips over the tree?

Edit: The anchor could just be set for the bottom of the post. :D

MKR on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You could just scroll past the quote tree that you already read and then only read the new additions to it? it's not too hard to roll a scroll wheel or it the page down button.

Artoria on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Echo wrote:

Good lord, that kind of shit should be a jailing.

On the other hand, it isn't hard to scroll/skim through quotes you've already read, and often it helps clarify what somebody is replying to. So people just need to exercise common sense when it comes to quotes, and maybe have mods bitch-slap them if they're stupid.

mcdermott on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Cat enforced a "five-quote limit" for awhile in D&D. It worked pretty well.

We tend to have several simultaneous discussions going on in the same thread in D&D, so quoting is really, really useful.

Thanatos on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you are an intelligent person you will trim quotes as a matter of course. A lot of people already do this.

If you're involved in a conversation with someone who isn't trimming the quote tree, just trim it with your reply, and they'll quote you with the trimmed tree. Problem solved.

Captain K on
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Can you just delete the quote button.
    Really, we don't need it.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wouldn't that require a code change? Those sort of don't seem to be on the table.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Starfuck wrote:
    Can you just delete the quote button.
    Really, we don't need it.
    It's pretty rare that I hear an idea this bad.

Kaputa on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It makes reading posts a pain since I end up re-reading the same stuff over and over.

uh, I just scroll past stuff I've already read. I thought everyone did.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallout wrote:
    It makes reading posts a pain since I end up re-reading the same stuff over and over.

uh, I just scroll past stuff I've already read. I thought everyone did.
    But you have to hit page down or, God forbid, use the scroll wheel. Do you have any idea how much of a pain that is? They need to code something into the boards so I don't have to do so much work.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Everyone shut the fuck up.

Also, this is a technical problem requiring coding. That just isn't going to happen because the guy who does that isn't around enough to do it. Sorry, that's the beginning and end of it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.