As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRUIT ON] Pineapple Fortress 2: Now with more magets

• TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    so canalzone is awesome if confusing. good times on the honk today

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Mars wrote: »
    Before the updates started, with 7 hours as a Spy, I found it essentially impossible to play. Getting double digits in points during an entire map was an accomplishment.

After the updates, with 10 hours as a Spy, I can hit middle of the scoreboard pretty easily.

Coincidence?

We don't like your kind 'round here.

I think the fact that people think the pyro is overpowered now is a function of the increased number of pyros on the servers, rather than any ability or weapon Valve gave them.

So why are so many people playing pyro? I think people are seeing greater utility in the class so they're playing it more.

The puffer is extremely useful in a limited number of situations, but only if you're good with it. The 100% crits takes quite a bit less skill to utilize, and let's face it, you can be afk and still use the extra 50 health. They improved the class in a way that, when you're fighting someone of equal skill who doesn't have the weapon, you'll win every time. Is that not a buff?
    I never said that they didn't buff the pyro, I said it wasn't overpowered. Anyone who's actually good at pyro knows to back off and shotgun other pyros rather than run around in circles trying to flame them before they go down.

Just because the class is easier to play now than it was before doesn't mean it's overpowered.

tofu on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do think bonus HP is a stupid thing to put on a weapon though, and I wish they'd come up with an alternative for the Backburner that involves a little more skill. For starters they should make it so the crits work properly while strafing and at a wider angle, then maybe the HP wouldn't be necessary.

Zek on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some people were talking about Left 4 Dead during a match a while ago, which inspired me to make a 9th class: The Zombie. He is only as strong as an engineer but can have a greatly quicker respawn time (and respawning closer to battle) using his Gravestone. His purpose is basically to swarm the enemy.

Meet The Zombie
    stubbs_the_zombie_in_rebel_.jpg

In life, he was only a lowly salesman peddling shotguns. That all changed after an unfortunate accident during a demonstration.
    At the same time, a few feet away, the budding Medic was horrified to see a man being shot in the face while attempting to twirl a shotgun. Not willing to leave an opportunity to go to waste, the Medic made the Zombie.

Role: Cannon Fodder
    Health: 100
    Speed: As Engineer

Weapons:
    Shotgun (Primary)
    Gravestone (Secondary): A Zombie starts with a single Gravestone upon spawning and cannot be replenished with ammo packs or with a dispenser. A Zombie can place down a Gravestone onto the ground, which occupies as much space as a teleporter. The Gravestone has 100 health and can be destroyed by the enemy. The Zombie is notified if his Gravestone is destroyed. When a Zombie is killed when his Gravestone is active, he can opt to respawn again as zombie beside his Gravestone in 5 seconds after death. Doing so skips the normal team respawn queue and he cannot change classes. Respawning in this way does not award a Gravestone to a Zombie.
    Claws (Melee): Like every other melee attack.

Zombie Fortress >_>

EDIT: In addition, Gravestones can be sapped.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now I'm really sad that doesn't exist.

Tig on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ooh, how about a Scientist? I dunno what his primary would be, but his secondary would be the Portal Gun.

jothki on
    edited July 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    Ooh, how about a Scientist? I dunno what his primary would be, but his secondary would be the Portal Gun.

The engineer would get jealous : /

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lurk wrote: »

The engineer would get jealous : /

Yeah, that would be a problem. Aside from all of that other 'balance' stuff, of course.

I do want a mod where players can use it, even if it's just a deathmatch. I've heard that people have hacked it in, but has anyone actually made a playable mod with it?

jothki on
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Man, the griefing possibilities would be enormous. And hilarious.

Put a portal in front of an enemy sentry, and put the other end inside your team's spawn.

Squidget0 on
  • BrokenTripodBrokenTripod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LA DE DA

This might not work on multiplayer, but you can have the experience in single-player and think about how awesome it would be if it was multiplayer! Hurrah!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/55873/airblastravaganza_b1.bsp

Download NOW!

AIRBLASTRAVAGANZA_b1!

The name sounds 100x more fun than it actually looks, though. It's a bit fun. I still want to play it with a few other people, though. Blarghargh.
    airblastravaganza_b10000.jpg
    airblastravaganza_b10003.jpg

If anyone tests this with other people and the other people aren't forced to be pyros, then this map is BROKEN. Yell at them to go Pyro.

According to Valve's Dev Wiki, this should work for all players. Will it? I have no idea.

BrokenTripod on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Squidget0 wrote: »

Put a portal in front of an enemy sentry, and put the other end inside your team's spawn.

It would be a totally awesome alternative to the teleport, but with one massive drawback: the enemy can send crit rockets through it

Tig on
    edited July 2008
    I still think it would be awesome to force someone into an infinte teleport, get them falling SUPERFAST and then move the portal underneath them.

Falldamage ftw.

BrokenTripod on
    edited July 2008
    Tig wrote: »
    Squidget0 wrote: »

It would be a totally awesome alternative to the teleport, but with one massive drawback: the enemy can send crit rockets through it

Capturing points and intelligence will be sooo easy. Have a guy place a portal near them and the spawn point and BAM, instant win. >_<

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
    edited July 2008
    Perhaps you could give it to the medic and he could use it instead of an ubercharge..? Like a second Kritzkrieg...that teleports people instead.

BrokenTripod on
  • AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    welp it's that time again!

shoot him first! vs. legion of BOOM

Tonight could be our last chance to stay in the www.cevo.com TF2 tournament, plus I'll be playing something besides medic so I won't have any excuses for getting owned. You guys prob don't wana miss this.

The match will be home field tonight, located at tiny's chowda server. Feel free to watch the fragging on our Source TV server, any support is greatly appreciated.

IP: 8.9.3.248:27020
    PW: pascrim08

The map will be cp_junction, quite possibly the worst idea ever. You guys WILL have to download the new version if you wish to watch, so I included a link fo yo ass.

Message me if you guys need any details/questions. Thanks again D:

The match is at 9:30pm EDT if anyone is planning on watching. Be there or be rhombus.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    AfroJ wrote: »
    welp it's that time again!

shoot him first! vs. legion of BOOM

Tonight could be our last chance to stay in the www.cevo.com TF2 tournament, plus I'll be playing something besides medic so I won't have any excuses for getting owned. You guys prob don't wana miss this.

The match will be home field tonight, located at tiny's chowda server. Feel free to watch the fragging on our Source TV server, any support is greatly appreciated.

IP: 8.9.3.248:27020
    PW: pascrim08

The map will be cp_junction, quite possibly the worst idea ever. You guys WILL have to download the new version if you wish to watch, so I included a link fo yo ass.

Message me if you guys need any details/questions. Thanks again D:

The match is at 9:30pm EDT if anyone is planning on watching. Be there or be rhombus.

"Meh"

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can kill people up-close [as a pyro] as fast as a heavy...

nitpicking - but according to TF2 Wiki, no

Heavy - Minigun does 500/sec-550/sec (1050/sec crit) damage

Pyro - Flamethrower does 200/sec (400/sec crit) damage

see this link and this link

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    The IP address changed for shf! match tonight because the other team was complaining about tiny's server.

Just paste this into the console and you're good to go: connect lob2.legionofboom.org:27020; password leftcheek

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    FishMist wrote: »
    You can kill people up-close [as a pyro] as fast as a heavy...

nitpicking - but according to TF2 Wiki, no

Heavy - Minigun does 500/sec-550/sec (1050/sec crit) damage

Pyro - Flamethrower does 200/sec (400/sec crit) damage

see this link and this link
    Yeah a heavy can and will annihilate if you can aim well in close quarters. A pyro has the advantage of not needing to aim really, just point in general direction.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pyro Cards on the Team Fortress 2 blog, in case it hasn't been posted yet.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pyro's a robot

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited July 2008
    Pyro's a robot

Pyro's a fish in a robot suit.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    we got fucking owned. i don't even know what to say. that map is horrible.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which map.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I saw'd it. Wasn't expecting to see a spy.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2008
    cp_junction_pro

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which map.

It was some custom version of Junction. I didn't know you could have custom versions of maps in league play. Home court advantage much?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How was it different from the regular junction?

tofu on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    more gay?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited July 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    It was some custom version of Junction. I didn't know you could have custom versions of maps in league play. Home court advantage much?

I can make you a version of the map with a trigger in a hard-to-get-to spot that kills everyone on the enemy team or lets you teleport in behind the enemy.

That'll teach 'em.

BrokenTripod on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Same map, appears the normal version doesn't work too well with stopwatch mode. The "pro" addition the the map name is nonsense, as with pretty much all maps with "pro" in the name.

Ginger Mijango on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hay guys post screens of me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So...I left a game on HonC earlier abruptly. I apologize (not that anyone probably gives a shit) but I got violently ill in the midst of playing.
    However, that new calzone level is delicious. Do we agree that despite not knowing where shit is it is a fun map? All scouts would make it truly tangy.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    I miss being excellent at Spy. I use to top the charts, and I can occasionally now, but fuck if it isn't difficult with these pyros.

Spy is a class that grows harder as you play it, not because of your skill, but because the skill of other players rapidly decreases the effectiveness of the spy. I suppose there is a point where you are good enough at spy to fool good players consistently, but I have not yet reached it. Also, spam sucks. Random rocket, grenade, or fire spurt means your end. There is a lot of luck involved. It is still my favorite class, even though I never play it because I get sick of dying so much.

da newb on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Honestly, we have no medic on our team. No dedicated medic, I was our soldier but we have 3 soldiers on our team now so I'm stuck either doing up medic or doing up pyro/spy/engy/heavy something iuno.

Plus junction is fucking god awful and we're so disorganized it's unbelievable.

Completely different than what happened at cp_badlands.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be medic :3

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Hay guys post screens of me.

toxiccizzleislookinglikka4.png

Ginger Mijango on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ginger, that is the best drawing ever.

Toxic should be honored.

(It's about time I got a post in this thread, now that it reached 96 pages.)

Stasis on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm writing you guys out of my will now.

Seriously though, tough luck man. How come they can use new maps? Did they give you warning or time to practise on it? Because that isn't fair or professional of the tournament organisers at all.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I saved it and it is my favorite ever.

Edit: I always get shitty totp.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg