As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    So, if you give a friend a buddy pass (for what I assume is a free 30 days) they have to pay $2.99 to download the client?

Can you just loan them your media instead?

Teth on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thats $3 dollars for 3 extra days because apparently it will take you 3 days to download the game. So giving out buddy passes on here doesn't seem as appealing as it did.

And are they serious that american players have to pay $2.99, while european players have to effectively pay $4.74? Is this funcom being stupid, or do taxes or some other added charges suck that much in Europe?

Teth, the first sentence of the second paragraph answers your question. The pay to download is an alternative to giving someone the instal discs.

KurnDerak on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hahaha

oh funcom, you card

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Teth wrote: »
    So, if you give a friend a buddy pass (for what I assume is a free 30 days) they have to pay $2.99 to download the client?

I doubt it's a full 30 days. I'm thinking 14 days at most.
    KurnDerak wrote:
    Thats $3 dollars for 3 extra days because apparently it will take you 3 days to download the game. So giving out buddy passes on here doesn't seem as appealing as it did.

And are they serious that american players have to pay $2.99, while european players have to effectively pay $4.74? Is this funcom being stupid, or do taxes or some other added charges suck that much in Europe?

I mean, yes you are sending someone like 20 gigs, and that bandwidth costs you money. Still, you are greatly reducing the success of your buddy key program by:

i) Releasing the keys two months after the launch of your game
    ii) Allowing only CE owners to give out keys right now
    iii) Charging a fee for people to download the trial

Honestly.. who would bother with it? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

I mean, yes you are sending someone like 20 gigs, and that bandwidth costs you money. Still, you are greatly reducing the success of your buddy key program by:

i) Releasing the keys two months after the launch of your game
    ii) Allowing only CE owners to give out keys right now
    iii) Charging a fee for people to download the trial

Honestly.. who would bother with it? I sure as fuck wouldn't.

Heh. Buddy keys are a pretty well used idea, designed to make it quick and easy for you to get a friend playing your game! This is just... Funcom must actually have an office somewhere in the building with "Bad Ideas Guy" written on the door. Every day Njolgrorn the manager walks by after visiting Bjorn the coder and is like, "Good morning, Bob! Keep coming with those bad ideas, we still have subscribers that we need to drive away!"

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Teth wrote: »

Yes. You can loan them your media.

Yes. This is a horrible idea. Funcom really doesn't want more people than they already have seeing how broken the game is. I still feel like I got my 50 dollars worth out of the game. I just wish I hadn't paid for another month's subscription though. :|

Shens on
    edited July 2008
    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What did we call Funcom back at AO launch days..oh yea, Fubarcom. Sounds like it's still somewhat accurate.

Bigity on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »

i'm liking how the whole site is kind age of conan painted

tyrannus on
    edited July 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

i'm liking how the whole site is kind age of conan painted

probably why his editor told him to review AoC

not the best marketing move

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    What did we call Funcom back at AO launch days..oh yea, Fubarcom. Sounds like it's still somewhat accurate.

FailCom

Unknown User on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nofuncom

Bigity on
    edited July 2008
    fundiescom

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    FunCon

Unknown User on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    holy cocks, that review is extra hilarious if you actually played a dark-skinned female stygian necromancer (which I did) =D

I almost shot white grape+peach juice out of my nose right there.

DiscoZombie on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So who has a collector's edition and wants to give me a buddy code <3

Lemming on
  • bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can anyone furnish me with the almighty AoC buddy Code? I promise my naked dark-skinned female stygian necromancer will love you long time.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lemming wrote: »
    So who has a collector's edition and wants to give me a buddy code <3

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would like a buddy code as well.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would like a buddy. :(

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thar's moochers in them thar thread!

I would help but I have no keys for this particular game.

DiscoZombie on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It will be hard to get buddy keys right now because only CE owners can give them out.

Figgy on
    edited July 2008
    It will be hard to get buddy keys right now because only CE owners can give them out.

And get your $2.99 ready when you want to download the client.

Shens on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I just read about charging $2.99 for the download. Screw that. I don't want to try this game that badly. I've also heard that Funcom is billing people after they have canceled their accounts. This true? If so, even less of a reason to pony up 2.99.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
    edited July 2008
    I was billed after I canceled my account once. So basically I didn't end up getting a free month at all since I had to pay for it.

Unknown User on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can download the client from mmosite.com, at least I'm assuming it will work. Takes freaking forever though, it's like 16 gigs or some shit and it's in 8 chunks of almost 2 gigs each

Lemming on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Robert E. Howard posthumously appreciates the offer of a buddy pass but says "no thanks."

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    I was billed after I canceled my account once. So basically I didn't end up getting a free month at all since I had to pay for it.

Sounds like FunCom has some issues here that go far beyond an unstable game client. I hope you did a chargeback on their arses.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
    edited July 2008
    bloodr wrote: »

Sounds like FunCom has some issues here that go far beyond an unstable game client. I hope you did a chargeback on their arses.

I remember back when I played Planetside and I was billed 2 weeks after I canceled my account. This was years ago, and MMOs/Subscription games weren't as well-known, so Visa basically said no. They said that I "agreed to pay a monthy payment to a service whether I use it or not." No matter how many times I explained to them that I had canceled that service, they didn't listen. I even talked to a supervisor, and it was like they were reading from a list of responses from, "What to do when people call about video games"

Basically, I had to send a written letter revoking the right for them to use my credit card any further and then submit a copy to Visa. It was ridiculous.

Figgy on
    edited July 2008
    HL1 and 2 were great the first time around, but on subsequent plays, the intros drag on way too long. Especially with 1's train ride and its multiple loading. It would be a lot better if you had the option to skip to the end.

So... are you equating the half-life tram to AOC's Tortage... or... are you just lost?

Figgy on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First off, wolfman, I think that you're in the wrong thread with that post.
    Edit: What, Figgy, you didn't do the headcrab quest where you go around with a crowbar breaking crates?

Second, is anyone still playing AoC that bought the CE at release?

KurnDerak on
    edited July 2008
    bloodr wrote: »

I remember back when I played Planetside and I was billed 2 weeks after I canceled my account. This was years ago, and MMOs/Subscription games weren't as well-known, so Visa basically said no. They said that I "agreed to pay a monthy payment to a service whether I use it or not." No matter how many times I explained to them that I had canceled that service, they didn't listen. I even talked to a supervisor, and it was like they were reading from a list of responses from, "What to do when people call about video games"

Basically, I had to send a written letter revoking the right for them to use my credit card any further and then submit a copy to Visa. It was ridiculous.

That's usually when I start using words like fraud and unauthorized access. You have to talk to them a certain way and do certain things before they'll do anything. The consumerist had a pretty good write up about how to do it. But that sucks. :x

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I pushed for a chargeback and my account was credited. It hasn't gone through yet, but the citi has my back.

Unknown User on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    You are now (not) playing: Age of Conan: Hyborean got your $50+ and We're Out Adventures.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Given what I've seen of the AoC community (which admittedly doesn't include the official forums for obviously reasons :|) this game appears to be following in Anarchy Online's footsteps... dying a slow and lingering death.

I'm going to try and stick it out til 80 but unless things change drastically I'm out after that. Who thinks this game will be free to play after a couple of years, if it still exists at all?

naturalchaos on
    edited July 2008
    They will probably take the same route they did with Anarchy Online. Free original, pay for the expansions, or something like that. They seem to be repeating a bunch of the AO problems from what I remember.

Shens on
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Long (long) time lurker, first time poster. Hold me.

I have just canceled my AOC account (it expires tomorrow), and I never used the buddy keys. By the time they came available, all my friends had already played and subsequently quit. Anyway, I read that the buddy keys actually aren't usable once your account is set to non-playable.

If any of you rad dudes want to use them, send me a pm with your email address. First 5 get to receive buddy keys and the privilege of paying $2.99 to download the software, unless you know someone who has the discs. I've also heard rumours the client can be downloaded for free, elsewhere.

Peace.

Leemo on
  • ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Soo, I had a 5 year old PC when I got into the beta. I never "actually" played this. There seems to be nothing but snickering and account cancellations now. And I just built a brand new gaming rig that would smoke this game on max settings.

Is there no hope, and no point to getting it now? It seems like there was alot of great reponse the first month, perhaps just from hopefuls, and now it's all anger. Is anyone having any fun still playing this?

Zolden on
    edited July 2008
    Hey Zolden, looking at your sig what Shadowbane server did you play on? :P

Unknown User on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Given what I've seen of the AoC community (which admittedly doesn't include the official forums for obviously reasons :|) this game appears to be following in Anarchy Online's footsteps... dying a slow and lingering death.

I'm going to try and stick it out til 80 but unless things change drastically I'm out after that. Who thinks this game will be free to play after a couple of years, if it still exists at all?

Such a waste of an amazing combat system, as I've said.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
This discussion has been closed.