As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited August 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
And this one isn't made by someone named "Taursaiyan".

So I'm rolling a shaman alt. What mod do I want to keep track of totems?

Not Totemus. I hate that huge blob on my screen.

Echo on

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You don't necessarily need an addon, they've added a thing to the default interface where it shows totems and their duration underneath your portrait.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I was more wanting something that doesn't require me to add a billion extra action bars just because I play a certain class.

Echo on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I only have four totems bound to buttons personally. Just grounding totem, grace of air, stoneclaw totem, and stoneskin totem.

Well okay I have the shitty mana totem on a button too...but now that I'm actually using water shield, i never need that thing.

I would say just pick totems that you know you'll need, and just put those on your bars. I can't wait until the exp when they consolidate them.

Oh and only 3 more levels on my shaman till the pvp grind for gear. Fuuun

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Give Yet Another Totem Addon (YaTa) a shot.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I usually only keep the totems that really matter (strength/agility/windfury/spelldamage/threat/mana/health/wrath) and move them around as they are needed in a group situation so all it takes up is a small chunk of one of my bars.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Agility will apparently translate into ap and otherwise be just as useful to shamans as it is to hunters.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I use Opie for my totems now, with a few of the key ones (such as Grounding Totem) on their own hotkey.

815165 on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TotemTimers is a fairly decent mod. It's collapsable which is really nice so you just have 4 icons showing. Mousing over it expands the totem bar. By default the totems are bound to number keys but only work when you've moused over it. I found this feature a little clumsy to use actually and sometimes ended up casting a totem when I didn't mean to so I disabled it. You can rearrange the totems in whatever order you'd like. The current icon is the one that will get recast when you click on it. Recent versions interfere with Blizzard's duration icons...they simply don't show up.

The one I've been using lately FloTotemBar. It's not collapsable but it's simple, functional, and somewhat configurable. It basically shows 4 bars with all the totems showing. It's got a graphical countdown bar on the left for durations and you can switch the order of the totems around by just drag and dropping them. It's a little buggy. I've had it disappear a couple times but I think that's because it got disabled somehow before I logged in. After turning it back on the totem bars were still not visible so I had to reset it. Took about 30 seconds to set it back up. I just make sure the mod is enabled before logging in. Hasn't been a problem since.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Agility will apparently translate into ap and otherwise be just as useful to shamans as it is to hunters.

I used to get a LOT of grief rolling on hunter armor. I hope this shuts them up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I was more wanting something that doesn't require me to add a billion extra action bars just because I play a certain class.

Don't ever play a Druid then.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You only need to pull out totems to your action bars that you know you're going to use in the context of what you're doing. If you're in a 5 man group that's melee strong, pull out totems to buff melee people. If you're solo'ing some quests, you'll need a couple of totems and Earthbind in case someone tries to jack you, etc.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    OremLK wrote: »

Funny, my main is a druid.

Echo on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just make macros that let me use alt, shift, cntrl, and no-modifier for my totems. So then one button of z through b could be one of any four totems. Works for me.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Druids aren't that bad for buttons, since a lot of their skills are per-form only.

For a shaman, I've heard you use a lot of totem laying macros.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Funny, my main is a druid.

Heh, then you know what I mean.

I don't think I have a single available button left out of the 120 or so. And I still have to redo certain things when I respec Feral.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    i have ocd so i need everything keybound on my shaman

it hurtssss ussssss

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In case people haven't seen this, here is a video of the knockback spell

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Thunderstorm_Video/

which might be hillarious in eots around the flag spawn

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

The bridge in the alliance base in AV, yesssss, oh yes.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shaman/Druid: I was originally planning for my shaman to be my healer alt -- leveling as enhancement, switching over either at 60 or 70. But right now, the shaman is languishing because I'm having such a blast with my feral druid. I catch myself thinking about keeping the shaman as enhancement (since I'm 95% solo anyway) and leveling a second druid as my healer...

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I use Opie for my totems now, with a few of the key ones (such as Grounding Totem) on their own hotkey.

My Shaman is only level 24, but I've been very happy with Opie so far.

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Shaman/Druid: I was originally planning for my shaman to be my healer alt -- leveling as enhancement, switching over either at 60 or 70. But right now, the shaman is languishing because I'm having such a blast with my feral druid. I catch myself thinking about keeping the shaman as enhancement (since I'm 95% solo anyway) and leveling a second druid as my healer...

yeah i was thinking the same thing about my shaman

i was pretty set on going elemental at 70 but hot damn is enhance ever fun

something about the casting animations just makes it feel like you're a wrecking ball of lightning and tornadoes

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

The bridge in the alliance base in AV, yesssss, oh yes.

I'm glad they're introducing knockback effects in WoW. played CoV for 2 weeks and enjoyed knocking around mobs like ninepins. Course, without rag-doll models, it seems like it will just look silly; mobs flying about doing their identical death animations.

dojango on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    TheEmerged wrote: »

yeah i was thinking the same thing about my shaman

i was pretty set on going elemental at 70 but hot damn is enhance ever fun

something about the casting animations just makes it feel like you're a wrecking ball of lightning and tornadoes

Crit chain lightnings destroy worlds (and up to 3 smaller worlds).

However playing a resto druid in pvp is so much fun. I had a go on my friends and without knowing exactly what to do I was running around being helpful. I think the most fun part is being able to escape (I usually play disc priest and i've been used to "oh a rogue/warrior, I'm not going anywhere").

Scroffus on
  • Options
    kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On my resto shaman I only ever use 3 totems, mana spring (or mana tide when its up), wrath of air, stoneskin totem, sometimes if I dont have mana issues healing anyone I'll toss out the random fire totem. Of course if I'm put in the melee dps group I change things up accordingly, but most of the time unless your elemental you'll only be using 3 totems at a time.

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My Shaman is level 33 (Enhancement, of course). Please tell me. Do things get infinitely better at 40? Because I feel like I'm relying completely on the RNG at this point. Sometimes I kill things in two hits, sometimes I have to expend the majority of my health and mana just to take them down.

OremLK on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My Shaman is level 33 (Enhancement, of course). Please tell me. Do things get infinitely better at 40? Because I feel like I'm relying completely on the RNG at this point. Sometimes I kill things in two hits, sometimes I have to expend the majority of my health and mana just to take them down.

There are some hidden attributes that involve windfury and dual wielding.

When you use a single weapon with windfury, you have a 20% chance to proc it, as you know. There's also a hidden three second "cooldown" that prevents you from getting multiple quick windfury procs. However, when you dual wield two weapons that both have windfury, that 20% chance arbitrarily becomes 36%. Also, storm strike gives you two extra instant chances to proc a windfury whenever that comes up.

Before dual wielding, fighting with a shaman feels pretty fucking dry; your best hope is a swing with a single 20% chance proc. After dual wielding with stormstrike, you walk up to mobs and get four swings with a 36% chance proc on each within a second.

As you know, you only really need one proc every once in a while.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    my shaman just hit 46

level 41 is something of a religious experience, you cannot imagine the incredible burst of stormstrike + dual weilding with two slow weapons

holy god the damage

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yup... used http://www.wowhead.com/?item=1608x2 on my Shaman until 58 no joke.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    these are two really good options

get two of either or one of each and you're pretty much set (i am awesome and have both :o )

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jim you just don't know.

I got my Shaman to 41 Right before they fixed Windfury.

Imagine bursting for five-thousand damage on a swing.

At 41.

IMAGINE IT

I worked so hard to get to experiance that before the change.

My god it was glorious.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    haha serious so great

it makes choosing what to spec at 70 so very hard

all the specs are fun! all of them!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My shaman got one of these, if everything goes right and it will cause I'll farm for it with my 2nd account till I have it, I'll be DWing them! Probably with an enchant.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9639

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ahh, a shiny new thread. I took a break from wow for Conan but it needs more time in the oven.

So Im back, my guild is nonexistant. I started pvping since it was hard to get a group for 5 man instances.

I got most of my pvp armor. Im Resto Spec. Now I basically take turns between playing in AV premades and doing dailies for money.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Or you could join a raiding guild and get free t6!

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How would it be free? What would the pvp gear equate to as far as the tiers go?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hit 70 on my second (alliance this time) shaman last night.

Now to begin the honor grind to get me an S2 healy mace. I'm pretty sure 760 healing isn't quite high enough to get you free T6. /sadface

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    How would it be free? What would the pvp gear equate to as far as the tiers go?

Huge amounts of raid damage in Sunwell + Healer burnout + Lots of guilds getting stuck on middle sunwell content (Felmyst on) = Huge demand for resto shaman. There are so many Sunwell guilds trying to recruit healers in general and shaman in particular that many guilds are willing to recruit significantly under their gear level if they're getting a quality player. There is even enough turnover at the high end (5/6, 6/6 guilds) that the 4 piece+ T6 shaman are going to guilds past M'uru and the middle tier Sunwell guilds (3/6, 4/6) are only getting partial T6 or less applicants. My guild is at 3/6 and we've had resto shaman spots open for a while now, and we've gotten one applicant to make it to trial, and she was in badge gear/T5 when we got her (and she's now 4/8 T6 and 1st-3rd in line for everything but boots). My shaman alt that I first started taking to raids in early June in preparation for Twins is now 6/8 T6...

As far as PvP gear, do you mean S1 PvP or higher? S3 is in line with T5 imo, so S2 is T4ish and S1 is just under T4. The main problem with PvP gear is that it has no regen, but you can get reasonable +healing numbers with it. If you can hit +1700 healing or so, you won't completely embarass yourself getting carried through Black Temple/Hyjal.

If you are seriously interested in raiding, full S2 + some S4 + some badge rewards (a lot of the badge rewards are effectively T5.5/T6 level) can probably get you into a 9/9 BT or 1/6 or 2/6 Sunwell guild. High arena rating or knowing somebody can expediate that process. Oh yeah, find a Kara group for badges - 22 badges in a couple hours each week is a great return on investment.

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    25,200 honor is a shite ton when you've got 3 characters decked out in honor gear already.

Fuck I am so sick of AV.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    KolchekKolchek Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    To answer your original question Echo, you couldn't have just asked the shamans in your guild..... o_O We're not THAT stupid :lol:

Now for the answer,if you don't want a "block" of totems i'd use Opie, YATA or maybe even consider the blizz default totem timers while using another addon to actually display the totem choices. Also, i'd agree with the above answer with the amount of high-end guilds begging for resto shamans nowadays if you can show knowledge of your class and willingness to gear up and maybe even plan out a gear route, i'd say you can get in in basically any gear to certain guilds.

Kolchek on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    Fuck I am so sick of AV.

Amen.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.