As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My PS3 just died.

Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
It's two months out of warranty, a 60 gig model. MGS4 is stuck inside it.

What I'm asking is simple. Is there any way I can be a hard-nosed asshole about this with the customer service people and get it repaired for free? Kind of ridiculous that it falls out of warranty just two months after that period, and I've babied the thing. Is this ethical? Is it reasonable to be pissed off right now? It's a $150 fee otherwise, and I just don't feel that's reasonable when they're going to turf a "refurbished" 60 gig unit my way.

Wonder_Hippie on

• ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What happened exactly?

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Nothing, as far as I can tell. I went out last night and it was Folding. I come back and I've got a blinking red light, now it won't turn on but for two seconds, at which point it goes back to the blinking red light.

And before people ask about ventilation or dust or anything, trust me in saying that I've taken care of that. It sits on an open shelf all by its lonesome in a well-ventilated room, plenty of space for air flow.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Being a hard nosed asshole is a good way to guarantee that they will not help you. Call, be kind and patient, and if they ask if it's in warranty feign ignorance and say you think so.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try power cycling the console. Turn the I/O switch in the back off, unplug the AC cable and let it sit for a minute. If you're running it off of a power strip try plugging directly into another outlet.

Scosglen on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    Being a hard nosed asshole is a good way to guarantee that they will not help you. Call, be kind and patient, and if they ask if it's in warranty feign ignorance and say you think so.

That might not work. When I got my PS3 replaced I had to send in a copy of my reciept with the purchase date to prove it was in warranty so that I could get it replaced for free.

But I think it's reasonable to be miffed about it, yeah. When a piece of electronics takes a crap on you just after the warranty expires it is all kinds of irritating.

But if they won't give you a break, $150 is a lot cheaper than buying a new one and the turnaround time is fast.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »

That might not work. When I got my PS3 replaced I had to send in a copy of my reciept with the purchase date to prove it was in warranty so that I could get it replaced for free.

But I think it's reasonable to be miffed about it, yeah. When a piece of electronics takes a crap on you just after the warranty expires it is all kinds of irritating.

But if they won't give you a break, $150 is a lot cheaper than buying a new one and the turnaround time is fast.

Well if you're a customer service agent you're probably not going to care about the person calling in. So, them being an asshole to you, when you're following policy, isn't going to get them to do you any favors.

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2008
    I was saying that feigning ignorance about the warranty might not work.

I was not saying that "not being an asshole about it" might not work.

I reccomend not being an asshole in most situations.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Speaking from experience, there does not seem to be a way to get this fixed for free. That is, after all, what extended warranties are for. Make sure when you send yours in that they are aware it is a 60gb (so you receive a hardware-BC equipped replacement) and also that your copy of MGS4 is still in the console.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    Definitely don't be an asshole to people who have nothing to do with causing your unfortunate situation. That's just a matter of basic decency.

I notice you mention Folding... I've fired up Folding a couple times, in order to secure the warm fuzzies associated with helping researchers. Should I be reluctant to leave my PS3 on for long stretches of time, though? Is overuse of Folding a failed PS3 waiting to happen?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've babied the thing.
    I went out last night and it was Folding.
    Were you folding frequently / most of the time? If so, I'd say that's pretty much the diametric opposite to "babying" your PS3. It's a piece of consumer electronics, if you have the CPU running under load for extended periods of time, I'd say shortened lifespan is something you have to expect. You could try the "oh come one, I'm only 2 months out of warranty" angle, I have no idea what your chance of success would be. Whatever you do, don't mention folding to the service rep. Whether it had anything to do with your PS3 dying or not, it's something they could seize upon as a reason why they shouldn't give you any special treatment.
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Should I be reluctant to leave my PS3 on for long stretches of time, though? Is overuse of Folding a failed PS3 waiting to happen?
    There's no way to know for sure. Who knows, maybe we'll see a spate of "I was folding and now my PS3 is dead" reports over the next several months. Maybe the OP just had a bum unit. If it's at all a concern for you, I'd say it's worth it to limit your PS3 folding to some degree.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I think I miscommunicated my intentions. I've worked retail before, I realize that the customer service representatives themselves won't be able to do much, if anything at all, for me. What I'm hoping is that I can get the to turf me up the chain of command until I get to somebody with some real responsibility and power, and then badger them until I get some concessions.

It's the Clark Howard way.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited July 2008
    Their are times when the person on the phone might be more willing then the original rep. I've seen it get to a supe level where the supervisor gives the person less then what the original rep was willing to.

DeShadowC on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Should I be reluctant to leave my PS3 on for long stretches of time, though? Is overuse of Folding a failed PS3 waiting to happen?

I know a guy who has had it running pretty much solid since the program started with no trouble. I know several other guys who have done the same and wound up with bricked consoles. I don't fold, but if I lived somewhere with cheaper electricity, I would.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd say call customer service, and see what they'd be willing to do and cost and all that first. Then talk to Supervisor. Be polite and all that jazz, if it doesn't work, try sending a complaint letter to the CEO's email address. Again, be polite, outline why you think you deserve a replacement (maybe word it in such a way that you think the warranty on new units should be lengthened because you believe that they are fairly likely to die just after the warranty expires.) Also, make sure you point out what you want them to do about the problem, way too many complaint letters get to people with power who go "Well, yeah, that really sucks. So what am I supposed to do about it?"

Quick story: I bought a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 from my university. Got a virus, had to format, had lost my cd and serial number. No problem, I thought, and copied down what was listed as my serial number in the info or about or whatever screen in word before i formatted. I go to install (there was a free trial on my recovery disc), its 5 digits short of what its supposed to be. I call tech support, with my original receipt and a physical copy of my license with all sorts of numbers. They bounce me from department to department, none of whom can help me, and some of them even blatantly lied to me for 2 and a half hours. I emailed Steve Ballmer's address (gotten from consumerist) explaining this, within a week I had 3 copies of Office 2007 show up at my door (it was forwarded to some head of customer service guy and he insisted on having every shipping warehouse ship a copy to make it as fast as possible after this.) I think this may have something to do with me pointing out how frequently I buy microsoft products and tossing in a quick "Something obviously needs to change if you intend to keep your dwindling customer base" at the end.

tl;dr: If customer service doesn't work, email somebody high up, make it obvious that they want to keep you as a customer, point out what their employees have done wrong to you, tell them what you think you deserve. If you send it to the CEO it'll likely get dealt with faster because the person who gets assigned to help you will know you know their company and the hierarchy, and that their boss will find out if they don't do a good job.

Wezoin on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I know a guy who has had it running pretty much solid since the program started with no trouble. I know several other guys who have done the same and wound up with bricked consoles. I don't fold, but if I lived somewhere with cheaper electricity, I would.

I would love to see this thread get hit with more anecdotal evidence on this. I've been trying to look online for opinions on this and haven't found anything solid. Currently I've been folding, but have been wondering if leaving the PS3 chewing on shit for long periods of time is bad for it. The air coming out of it is a bit hotter than I like, but I haven't heard of PS3 problems to anywhere near the degree I've seen from 360s in the news.

Edited for clarification: I probably could have worded this better. I'm not criticizing people here...I really do want to hear more anecdotal evidence, as that is the only possible thing to get unless ps3 failure approaches the levels of RROD we saw out of the 360. I'm just hoping for a general opinion of PS3 folding vs. not.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try calling customer service repeatedly. Generally CSRs have discretionary powers(sometimes) so you might get lucky. If not, consider trying to fix it yourself. You've got nothing to lose, right?

I fixed my out-of-warranty 360 that had sound but no video by wrapping it in a couple of towels and letting it run for 20 minutes, then letting it cool down for another 20. When I started it up, it worked perfectly, and has been fine for the last several weeks.

It seemed really counterintuitive to me, and I don't suggest doing it to your PS3, but I read that it might work for my 360 problem, and I had nothing to lose. It turned out to be a good gamble.

As for folding at home... I stopped leaving my ps3 on overnight for it a while ago, but that was because it had a noticeable effect on my power bill. It makes sense that it would affect the life of the console, though.

fallaxdraco on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I would love to see this thread get hit with more anecdotal evidence on this. I've been trying to look online for opinions on this and haven't found anything solid. Currently I've been folding, but have been wondering if leaving the PS3 chewing on shit for long periods of time is bad for it. The air coming out of it is a bit hotter than I like, but I haven't heard of PS3 problems to anywhere near the degree I've seen from 360s in the news.
    The problem is that without numbers from Sony, which they would never ever in a million years release, all we're ever going to get is anecdotal evidence. I'd say that if your PS3 has a weak solder join or circuit somewhere, and you fold a lot, it has the potential to eventually kill the system. If that's the case, it probably would have died eventually anyway, folding just increases the frequency and duration of the time periods where you have the right conditions for the problem to occur. If you have a well-made unit, then it's entirely possible that you'd be able to fold until doomsday with no ill effects. Short of tearing your system apart and checking it with an electron microscope, I doubt there's any way to know for sure except after the fact.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You're screwed man. 2 weeks? Maybe... 2 months? Too bad.

You're not out of line to be mad, but its just shitty luck. You don't have any right to a free repair.

Also, if you bought your ps3 on a credit card check with the card company to see if they offer the double warranty thing.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • DaemasDaemas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Turnaround time is far from fast. It took them 3 FULL business days to even take a look at my service request form, then another 1.5 before they mailed my coffin, THEN the coffin with THREE day shipping took SIX, and now that it's there, they say 7-15 business days, which is anywhere between 1.5 and 3 weeks. THEN they're going two take another day or to with "handling" and then overnight it to me. Let's hope I get one in good condition, because it sure as hell isn't going to be mine. And if they send me a DOA one, or one that's scratched to shit, I have to send it back and go through all of this shit before they fix their fuck up.

Oh yes my pristine black angel, I'll see you in 6 weeks.

edit: About shipping: I live in Columbus, Ohio, not bumfuck Greenland or anything

Daemas on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh damn Daemas you might have to go outside or find another hobby or something godawful like that.

The Black Hunter on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I for one will be very amused if after all the shit PS3 fanboys talk about the RROD, there systems turn out to have a defect just as bad. Just to be sure, I'm not so clear on the "folding" thing, is that something you have to turn on or does it happen automatically when you turn the system off from the touch button? I don't want a bricked PS3 after losing an Xbox to RROD.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited July 2008
    You can't really blame anyone other then the postal service when mail takes longer then its supposed to.

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2008
    Daemas wrote: »

Turnaround time is far from fast. It took them 3 FULL business days to even take a look at my service request form, then another 1.5 before they mailed my coffin, THEN the coffin with THREE day shipping took SIX, and now that it's there, they say 7-15 business days, which is anywhere between 1.5 and 3 weeks. THEN they're going two take another day or to with "handling" and then overnight it to me. Let's hope I get one in good condition, because it sure as hell isn't going to be mine. And if they send me a DOA one, or one that's scratched to shit, I have to send it back and go through all of this shit before they fix their fuck up.

Oh yes my pristine black angel, I'll see you in 6 weeks.

edit: About shipping: I live in Columbus, Ohio, not bumfuck Greenland or anything

I live in bumfuck northern california, where overnight mail is not possible due to how remote it is.

I think turnaround time was less than two weeks for me. I consider that to be pretty quick.

Especially considering that the result was that I got a working PS3 with no scratches or anything.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I for one will be very amused if after all the shit PS3 fanboys talk about the RROD, there systems turn out to have a defect just as bad. Just to be sure, I'm not so clear on the "folding" thing, is that something you have to turn on or does it happen automatically when you turn the system off from the touch button? I don't want a bricked PS3 after losing an Xbox to RROD.

You have to turn it on. Not only that, but the PS3 has to be on even if you turn it on automatically. You can set it up to run whenever the system is idle, but you have to CHOOSE to do so, and it still won't run if the PS3 is turned off.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    If you put it on your credit card, contact the credit card company. More often than not, Visa/Mastercard will double the length of manufacturer's warranties.

Doc on