As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]Death Kniggits: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I hear Frost is pretty bad for leveling, but I'm most interested in it. Is overall damage and downtime too bad to consider it for leveling, or does it only get good at certain level, etc.
    All three trees are great for leveling. Blood is the easiest, because it's really hard to die, but it takes longer. Frost is a lot faster if you play it smart. Especially once you get Death Strike - then all specs get a vampirism attack.

Frost EASILY does more damage than Blood. Unholy is pretty good for leveling too - it feels a lot like playing a 'lock.

EDIT: Blizzard has really outdone themselves with how they've implement Death Knights. Not even counting the story and lore standpoints (soooooo cool), and just approaching ability- and spec-wise, DKs are extremely impressive in how diverse they can be. You can spec to pretty much exactly what you want, and the class supports a wide variety of playstyles, without overshadowing any other classes.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, thanks. Thematically, I like frost the best, but I wanted to be sure I could level with it as easily, thanks.,

Nerdgasmic on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How does the threat gen for blood spec work, since there's a lot of healing potentially going on?

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Oh, sorry one more question.

I have very few alts (My main is a healing priest) but is the Frost Tree's obvious focus on crits synergistic with it's supposed focus on dual-wielding?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited July 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Oh, sorry one more question.

I have very few alts (My main is a healing priest) but is the Frost Tree's obvious focus on crits synergistic with it's supposed focus on dual-wielding?
    I haven't had much time to try out dual-wielding yet with Frost, but I'll give it a look when I get a chance. :)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    How does the threat gen for blood spec work, since there's a lot of healing potentially going on?

Threat-gen? You mean, as a tank? I'd say that there shouldn't be much problem - I mean, you can still use Frost Presence to increase your armor and threat output dramatically. That, plus a lot of the heals you'll be doing should make it no problem to generate threat.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I'll certainly level my druid to 80 (since I'll have some guildies to level with), but I'm seriously considering switching to DK as main after that once the guild starts raiding again.

Echo on
    edited July 2008
    I'm putting my Druid from Feral back into Balance spec, and then I'm going to use my DK to replace my Druid when it comes to tanking.

So, I'll have a Doomkin AND a Doomcow :D.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So how do the pets work?

Does the ghoul one, just last for a couple minutes like shitty warlock pets? Does it stick around long enough to justify the mana cost? How about the undead army one?

Also, how hard/easy would it be to two box a DK probably blood or frost heavy with a resto druid?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited July 2008
    I take it the Blood tree is what people will usually want for PVP? What with all that self-heal and stuff.

Rune Tap + imp. Rune Tap looks plain nasty. Is that additive for the improved feat? 55% health back once per minute?

Echo on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure exactly how frost would work in leveling. A lot of the talents and such are about slowing down or freezing enemies. It all seems more PVP oriented, because it doesn't seem to make much sense with regards to soloing with a heavy melee class like the DK. Unless I'm just missing a key aspect that makes it all click.

Unholy looks to be the DPS tree for parties or raids where you're not the tank. Stuff like Corpse explosion would shine in instances with groups of enemies, not solo hopping outside. Especially Bone armor too. Increases damage done by 2% and reduces all damage by 45%, but you only get 4 bones, each hit on you removes a bone, and it's a 5 min cooldown. It's only going to last you one mob while soloing, where in groups you should be able to just keep it on indefinetely.

Blood though is frickin' insane. There are at least 5 talents that give you so much passive healing that you finish every fight at full health. There's zero downtime at all. It's to the point where I think they may nerf something here, it's that crazy.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I take it the Blood tree is what people will usually want for PVP? What with all that self-heal and stuff.

Rune Tap + imp. Rune Tap looks plain nasty. Is that additive for the improved feat? 55% health back once per minute?

It's not 55% of your health. It's the initial 10% healing, and then an additional 45% of that if you have the talent. Whatever wacked out math they use for that kind of stuff. But it sure ain't half your health every minute, that would just be way too broken.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, suspected as much. Blizzards needs to get more consistent with telling us when it's additive or multiplicative.

Echo on
    edited July 2008
    EWom wrote: »
    So how do the pets work?

Does the ghoul one, just last for a couple minutes like shitty warlock pets? Does it stick around long enough to justify the mana cost? How about the undead army one?

Also, how hard/easy would it be to two box a DK probably blood or frost heavy with a resto druid?
    Unspecced, the ghouls get summoned, do their thing for a bit, and then die. They're okay. When you pet-spec for them, though, you get a full pet bar, so you can use their interrupts and stuns and guarding abilities. If you're Unholy, you'll have your ghoul up all the time - you can spec to have it up all the time with minimal investment.

Dunno about the undead army one - I don't have it yet. My understanding is that it's a chanelled ability that's more-or-less an AoE.

I don't recommend Blood for PVP - you don't do enough damage to make it worth it. Frost is probably the best for Arena, with Unholy easily being the best for BGs. Frost gives you excellent single-target damage and control, and Unholy gives you pets and lots of AoE and spreading diseases.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Caedere wrote: »

Threat-gen? You mean, as a tank? I'd say that there shouldn't be much problem - I mean, you can still use Frost Presence to increase your armor and threat output dramatically. That, plus a lot of the heals you'll be doing should make it no problem to generate threat.

Oh, I'm sorry, I totally should've clarified. >.<

See, I've had my eye on the blood talent line as a group support thing (aside from solo'ing). Which means the aura talent and all the healing type talents. I wanted to know if you've seen or experienced what happens if you're in a group as not the tank, doing this healing aside from DPS.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure exactly how frost would work in leveling. A lot of the talents and such are about slowing down or freezing enemies. It all seems more PVP oriented, because it doesn't seem to make much sense with regards to soloing with a heavy melee class like the DK. Unless I'm just missing a key aspect that makes it all click.

Unholy looks to be the DPS tree for parties or raids where you're not the tank. Stuff like Corpse explosion would shine in instances with groups of enemies, not solo hopping outside. Especially Bone armor too. Increases damage done by 2% and reduces all damage by 45%, but you only get 4 bones, each hit on you removes a bone, and it's a 5 min cooldown. It's only going to last you one mob while soloing, where in groups you should be able to just keep it on indefinetely.

Blood though is frickin' insane. There are at least 5 talents that give you so much passive healing that you finish every fight at full health. There's zero downtime at all. It's to the point where I think they may nerf something here, it's that crazy.

Frost works just fine - you're going to be in melee range anyway, so slowing only helps you since it keeps enemies from fleeing. Tag an enemy with Death Coil, they run into melee, you unload. Also, you have Death's Grip to instantly-teleport any enemy to you, so that helps. Really, there's no problem soloing with Frost at all. I like it a lot more than Blood.

I agree with Unholy being a great raiding tree, but again, it's fine for leveling. It really plays a lot like being a Warlock.

Blood is too boring - yeah, you never die, but there's so little downtime with the other trees anyway. It basically plays like being a Feral druid while you're leveling and I've already done that before. :lol:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited July 2008
    See, I've had my eye on the blood talent line as a group support thing (aside from solo'ing). Which means the aura talent and all the healing type talents. I wanted to know if you've seen or experienced what happens if you're in a group as not the tank, doing this healing aside from DPS.

Just dicking around and not really knowing what's what I came up with this as a leveling spec. I like being support, so I may stick with Blood when it's time to raid too, but I'm not averse to go Frost and tank if needed. And we'll see what they do with that dual spec Blizzard are talking about...

Echo on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty excited, I've wanted a two hand class wielding class that's actually fun to play for a long time!
    MS is not fun to me :(

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited July 2008

Ohhh. I see.

Well, you're going to be pulling a lot of aggro, that's for sure. Fortunately you're resilient enough to take hits without any trouble - it's like, "Shits, I have aggroz - FROST PRESENCE" and you're fine. :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
    edited July 2008

Ohhh. I see.

Well, you're going to be pulling a lot of aggro, that's for sure. Fortunately you're resilient enough to take hits without any trouble - it's like, "Shits, I have aggroz - FROST PRESENCE" and you're fine. :D

Yeah, not to mention there's a talent in there that becomes active if you drop below a certain % health that adds... I think armor.

So our 'oh shit' button is frost presence. Grand.

Henroid on
    edited July 2008
    Oh, an AOE taunt on 15 second CD? Schweet. Balanced by needing a disease to taunt the target, though.

Echo on
    edited July 2008

Ohhh. I see.

Yeah, not to mention there's a talent in there that becomes active if you drop below a certain % health that adds... I think armor.

I think the "Oh shit" button might be the Mark of Blood talent. 30s debuff that, whenever that person hits a target, that target is healed for 2% of their max health. 3 min cooldown. I can see that ability being the one that lets DK's solo a lot of elites.

The Wolfman on
    edited July 2008
    Oh, an AOE taunt on 15 second CD? Schweet. Balanced by needing a disease to taunt the target, though.

Pestilence. Spreads an existing disease onto 2 additional targets.

So, Plague strike on enemy to disease it. Pestilence to spread it to 2 more targets, and then Blood boil to erupt those diseases to gain instant aggro on 3 targets without ever having to tab at all. Fun times.

The Wolfman on
    edited July 2008

So, Plague strike on enemy to disease it. Pestilence to spread it to 2 more targets, and then Blood boil to erupt those diseases to gain instant aggro on 3 targets without ever having to tab at all. Fun times.

Paladins eat your heart out?

Henroid on
    edited July 2008

Reading some more: Death and Decay causes a six-second disease. :winky:

Echo on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Death and Decay is so outrageous right now, the radius is HUEG.

There's Icebound Fortitude, too.

Mgcw on
    edited July 2008

I don't have it yet, but I've seen someone cast it. The bloody size of it is huge. I'd say maybe at least twice that of Concecration.

The Wolfman on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The many pages of posts I've seen on the EJ forums lead me to believe that Blood is the clear winner on damage, and also the best for levelling.

A lot of this may end up depending on how Blizz decides to go on frost strike which was at least briefly, quite high damage.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Death and Decay sounds retardedly good. Am I wrong in thinking so?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Paladins eat your heart out?

I think theres a skill for that too

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For anyone interested Someone has recorded the entire DK intro questline. 2+ hours of DK action.

And this is the build I am considering for my main DK. Of course, things can change by the time Wrath is released.

And I'm using Blizzard's offical Talent builder because it's been updated often with upcoming changes.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i was looking at that talent calculator, and some have some guy smiling. Who is that guy?

JJ on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    i was looking at that talent calculator, and some have some guy smiling. Who is that guy?

It is I, smiling through the eternities.

TheGerbil on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Samwise Didier, Blizzard's longtime Art Director.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Temp.png

Garthor on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    haha the ads on the wowwiki are getting better and better
    You're such a noob
    Tired of hearing this? Find out how the pro's own, and you can too!
    www.DestroyWoW.com

yes, yes! destroy wow!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Despite having not played one yet, the Death Knight talent trees are looking pretty fantastic. I'm not seeing any talents in the trees that look almost mandatory like ones in the past like Improved Arcane Explosion, Tactical Mastery, etc, and yet I'm also not seeing talents that look useless. The number of possible builds that should be viable looks like it might be higher than any other class.

However, combine that with my having not actually played a Death Knight, I can't decide what kind of spec I would go for.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would love it of Death Rune Mastery in the Blood tree became non-talented. Other then that, I agree. the trees are looking good on paper.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Right now actually I'm liking the idea of dual wielding with Icy Talons and Nerves of Cold Steel in the Frost tree along with Unholy Presence on. But what else I would go for, I'm still not sure.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited July 2008
    I'm sort of hoping they make the Unholy talent that turns your pet into a fully controllable thing into an untalented standard ability, and then have that talent double the length of the ghoul's durations, along with a percentage boost to all of their abilities.

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.