As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    And I agree with Angry, Gyllenhaal is a [strike]gorgeous[/strike] woman.

Am I crazy or would anyone else like to see the bat symbol on the costume outlined in a goldish color that matches the utility belt? Just a thin outline around it. I'm not a fan of the all black chest symbol and it was even harder to notice in this movie than in the first.

Accualt on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »
    OH GOD I JUST SAW IT LAST NIGHT

So goddamn good.

Welcome to last week, Furu. Get with the times!

Better yet, get in a time machine and go back and see it opening night.

And take me with you.

My only time machine is "crowbar to the head" and it only goes forward.

Anyway, favorite line?
    "Know how I got these scars?"
    "No, but I know how you got these"

Furu on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    i can't believe ledger made me laugh at an insane homicidal criminal.
    I mean the dude is there trying to blow up a fucking hospital, about the worst thing you can do, and I'm laughing at him while he can't get the explosives to go off. That is fucked up right there.

The way he walked had me in fits of laughter.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    i can't believe ledger made me laugh at an insane homicidal criminal.
    I mean the dude is there trying to blow up a fucking hospital, about the worst thing you can do, and I'm laughing at him while he can't get the explosives to go off. That is fucked up right there.

The way he walked had me in fits of laughter.

That was what made me love the Joker. I've never seen him presented, in comics or in the 1989 movie, in a way that really made me think "Ha! That was a hilarious murder" while also being very afraid of him.

I was impressed that this movie managed to make him both more serious and more funny.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man I want to see this again in IMAX, but the tickets are all sold out until Sunday at least D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ya, I'd love to see this in IMAX.

Now I just need a cunning plan to ensure that the crowd is made up of only super geeks and fanboi's who won't gasp every two fucking seconds, like the dumb 17 yr old bitch and her friends I got stuck next to the fist time.

Caveman Paws on
  • JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Now I just need a cunning plan to ensure that the crowd is made up of only super geeks and fanboi's who won't gasp every two fucking seconds, like the dumb 17 yr old bitch and her friends I got stuck next to the fist time.

I don't know how many friends she had but pencils come in 20 packs.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's my experience that "supergeeks and fanbois" tend to gasp and squeal a lot too.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hahah

Fanbois

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Both times I saw this movie, the 'disappearing trick' cracked me up. I totally forgot about it the second time, so it was just as great as the first.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When he yells at that Batman-Wannabe in the video I think I peed my pants a little.

LOOK AT ME!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jengo wrote: »

I don't know how many friends she had but pencils come in 20 packs.
    <3<3<3<3

Fencingsax on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, when i went to iron man there were some obvious comic nerds sitting to my left and they were so fucking annoying until some chick yelled at them to shut up. omg he he look at that omg omg.

Angry on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    When he yells at that Batman-Wannabe in the video I think I peed my pants a little.

LOOK AT ME!

Hell yes. I was actually scared at that point.

Such a brutal PG-13.

Mr Pink on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LOOK AT ME.

I nearly wet myself.

The film conveyed tension so very well, like the scene where
    Gambol has the knife in his mouth.
    and had brutal, terrible violence inflicted without being overly gratuitous or including hefty amounts of gore, as we seem to see a lot with things like the Saw and Hostel series (which, granted, is very much the point of the 'splatter' genre), but moments like
    "the pencil trick"
    are included for a shocking sense of brutality as you reason out what just happened, even though you really don't see much of it. It's over in a split second, and even without much detail, it induces as much of a cringe response (from seeing it in theatres) as many movies with significantly higher ratings, in my experience.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited July 2008
    Speaking of ratings, my girlfriend's little brother wants me to take him to see it.

He's seven.

I'm not sure it's appropriate for him. Or even that he'll be able to follow it very well.

Mr Pink on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would not take a 7 year old to see this. There's plenty of other Bat-material out there that is much more age appropriate.

Lucascraft on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm sure there are millions of well adjusted young children that could handle this movie (disclaimer added, to stop the inevitable slew of "My brother/sister/neice/nephew/cousin watches R rated splatter flicks all the time" responses), but between the Joker and Two Face, I'd be very wary of taking such a young child to see this, on top of the raw length.

The last thing you want is a restless child in a 2.5-3 hour (with trailers and commericals) movie.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I had a child of that tender age, there is no way in a million years that I would take him or her to see this movie. Maybe a twelve year old, but I think that's as low as I'd go unless the kid was exceptionally precocious and mature.

Quoth on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    If I had a child of that tender age, there is no way in a million years that I would take him or her to see this movie. Maybe a twelve year old, but I think that's as low as I'd go unless the kid was exceptionally precocious and mature.
    Would you wear pearls to the screening?

Wildcat on
    edited July 2008
    I'm sure there are millions of well adjusted young children that could handle this movie (disclaimer added, to stop the inevitable slew of "My brother/sister/neice/nephew/cousin watches R rated splatter flicks all the time" responses), but between the Joker and Two Face, I'd be very wary of taking such a young child to see this, on top of the raw length.

The last thing you want is a restless child in a 2.5-3 hour (with trailers and commericals) movie.

I think the length is more the issue for me. Like, I'm not sure he would really get the violence. The magic trick, for example, might just be to fast for him. And the deeper parts of the movie would surely fly over his head, which might render half of it too slow to hold his interest.

Mr Pink on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Would you walk in dark, deserted alleys?

Fencingsax on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Would you walk in dark, deserted alleys?

The thing that struck me about the violence is that it might not have been gory, but it was definitely the kind of thing I could imagine kids running away and doing.

EDIT: A quick search lead me to this winner.
    Spoilered because a) Spoilerish, b) Weakness.

I wonder how long before some reject blinds his little brother.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I was really underwhelmed by this movie. I mean, it wasn't bad by any means, but I wouldn't say it was anywhere near as good as Begins. Certainly doesn't compare to Iron Man or Hulk.

Honestly, Two-face and Joker were the best parts. Eveything else was just...meh. Nothing outstanding at all.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    It wasn't better than Hulk? Really?

Garlic Bread on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    : 0. The Hulk, The Incredible Hulk and The Incredible Hulk (TV) were all three not that good.

And I mean, I love the Hulk.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    uh the last two were actually pretty good so I don't know if I trust your opinion!

DJ Eebs on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that is a bad opinion

responding to a bad opinion

what the hell

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2008
    the new hulk movie is good and the old hulk show was good so shut up!

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2008
    no not your opinion

your opinion is correct!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2008
    well as long as I'm correct

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2008
    totally correct

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »

I mean, I didn't see it or anything, but seriously?

Someone just wants to hate something that's popular!

Garlic Bread on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The film conveyed tension so very well, like the scene where
    Gambol has the knife in his mouth.

This scene really set the tone for me, I was pretty much terrified of him for the rest of the movie.

Regina Fong on
  • beastathonbeastathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This was really great.

beastathon on
    ♧ ♧ ♧ ♧
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hey uh do you have any idea how stupid you sound

I mean, yeah, it's just my opinion that Hulk was better than TDK but to say LOL NO when you haven't even seen Hulk just sort of makes you sound like an idiot.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

For the record, the new hulk was really, really good, and I could see why someone would like the Hulk more.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Incredible Hulk was alright although beyond the action scenes there's really not much to it. I know this is not popular opinion here, but I prefer Ang Lee's Hulk.

Aleph on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've seen the Hulk, and I can't fathom thinking that film was better than TDK. Minimal characterization, predictable action sequences, and a hackneyed romantic subplot bring that bitch down to "only watch it if you like the Hulk" status. Sure it has a great cast, but you should probably watch them in other films instead.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008

Hey uh do you have any idea how stupid you sound

I mean, yeah, it's just my opinion that Hulk was better than TDK but to say LOL NO when you haven't even seen Hulk just sort of makes you sound like an idiot.

Psh. Everyone here loves loves me and values my opinion on everything

Garlic Bread on