As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Faction: Guerilla: Out Now! Hammers away!

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Everything is destructible.

And I mean everything.

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that without even checking. I don't mind being proven wrong if you think I am (In fact, I'll be very happy if I am proven wrong). Until then, bullshit.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited June 2008
    It does look cool as fuck though, holy shit.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

And I mean everything.

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that without even checking. I don't mind being proven wrong if you think I am (In fact, I'll be very happy if I am proven wrong). Until then, bullshit.

Two weeks before release, "Uhm, when we said Everything, we actually meant to say 90%".

Or in one of the final trailers just as the guy says "Everything", there'll be one of the really fast talking voice that comes in right after "This product may or may not contain completely destructible environments.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »

And I mean everything.

Two weeks before release, "Uhm, when we said Everything, we actually meant to say 90%".

Or in one of the final trailers just as the guy says "Everything", there'll be one of the really fast talking voice that comes in right after "This product may or may not contain completely destructible environments.

Hell even if it's only 90% I'll be impressed.

Xtarath on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    What I want to see is the ability to destroy buildings not with mechs or rocket launchers- but with hammers. From pillar to pillar until it all comes down.

Organichu on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ew 3rd person with terrible reasons for the switch. seeing your low poly character with his forgettable face and seeing the destruction around you because in 1st person you can't see anything apparently.

meh

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36476.html
    Their destruction system is actually doing stress calculations to determine how the buildings fall apart? That's way more awesome than Dice's frostbite with pre-chosen breakpoints, or even crytek's physics systems.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    What I want to see is the ability to destroy buildings not with mechs or rocket launchers- but with hammers. From pillar to pillar until it all comes down.

There should be a level where you are caught and put in prison and have to dig yourself out with a spork (like my old school, they wouldn't give you real cutlery because they would be worried you'd use it as a weapon. Then one of the pupils KOed the music teacher with a pudding bowl, but I digress).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Multiplayer in RF2 essentially broke down into finding the walls that everyone knew were destructible, blowing them out for quick access to whatever weapon was behind it, and then just treating the level like any other shooter.

Be interesting if they implement some kinda system where the environment actually regenerates, for kills and other antics when someone isn't expecting them -- breaking through a wall that was perfectly solid a moment ago, or blowing up the stairs that some douchebag was gonna use to escape with your flag, etc.

Hamurabi on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the bit about the structure designers having to work with the system to make buildings that will actually stand by the in game rules.

Arrath on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Check out: http://community.redfaction.com/main.php . It has the video of RFG's showing on G4.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    I like the bit about the structure designers having to work with the system to make buildings that will actually stand by the in game rules.

Yeah, I thought that was incredibly badass. It looks a lot more fluid than bad company, where bits of the wall just evaporate.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Watched a video about the destruction in this last night, and I'm sold. Looks completely awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    For some reason, with their third person camera and the way the character moves/looks, I get one hell of a Phantom Dust vibe, a game which also had pretty destroyable enviroments.

FyreWulff on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GLEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I've been waiting for another Red Faction game for so long...and this one looks fucking awesome from what I've seen so far. Happy and also joy!

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks sweet. I may have to pick it up.

Gorilla Salad on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed Red Faction 1. Red Faction 2 I liked a lot, but was disappointed with the use, or lack thereof, of the GeoMod. Red Faction: Guerrilla? It looks badass, but I do enjoy the First-person perspective more.

On a somewhat unrelated note. My buddy and I both swear up and down that we played Red Faction 2 in co-op. We both have all these "memories" of us working together in that game, of jokes we made, of crazy victories we had. Yet Red Faction 2 was not co-op. . . what game did we play?!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JNighthawk. Is there anyone you could talk to about adding a first/third person option to the game?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited July 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    I enjoyed Red Faction 1. Red Faction 2 I liked a lot, but was disappointed with the use, or lack thereof, of the GeoMod. Red Faction: Guerrilla? It looks badass, but I do enjoy the First-person perspective more.

On a somewhat unrelated note. My buddy and I both swear up and down that we played Red Faction 2 in co-op. We both have all these "memories" of us working together in that game, of jokes we made, of crazy victories we had. Yet Red Faction 2 was not co-op. . . what game did we play?!

Maybe you played RF2 local multiplayer against bots?
    JNighthawk. Is there anyone you could talk to about adding a first/third person option to the game?

Check out the forums on the Red Faction site I posted (http://community.redfaction.com/). There's already been a few threads there - trust me, it's the best way to get your suggestion noticed. We've already gotten a few requests for this, but I can't say anything about it that's not already said there. Weeee NDAs!

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is one of the few titles at E3 this year that actually impresses and rises in the oven to a toasty golden finish.

Polago on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    This is one of the few titles at E3 this year that actually impresses and rises in the oven to a toasty golden finish.

Yeah, I was staggered by the video I saw, and only hope more people go for completely destructible environments. I can't believe it's even being compared to Bad Company (a game I do love) in some places, when the things you can do in this are leagues ahead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    FYI, played a good deal of this game last week. Hands on impressions going up on Joystiq tomorrow. Good times.

etoychest on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've seen 1 video and in that show off destroying structures.. but this is Red Faction, who cares? Is the ground and the like destroyable like in the first RF?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited July 2008
    etoychest wrote: »
    FYI, played a good deal of this game last week. Hands on impressions going up on Joystiq tomorrow. Good times.

Sweeeeeet.

It's almost surreal seeing how widely RFG is being covered, on sites I read before I was in the industry. It's the first game I've worked on, and I couldn't be happier :-)

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
    edited July 2008
    JNighthawk wrote: »

Sweeeeeet.

It's almost surreal seeing how widely RFG is being covered, on sites I read before I was in the industry. It's the first game I've worked on, and I couldn't be happier :-)

Yea. the previous event we played it at it was all about the multiplayer. This time your team let me take the sinlge player out for a spin, and I gotta say what you all have pulled together so far is pretty impressive. I wish there would have been other areas available to look at during the show, but even so it's one I'm really looking forward to seeing again once it's all together.

etoychest on
    edited July 2008

Sweeeeeet.

Yea. the previous event we played it at it was all about the multiplayer. This time your team let me take the sinlge player out for a spin, and I gotta say what you all have pulled together so far is pretty impressive. I wish there would have been other areas available to look at during the show, but even so it's one I'm really looking forward to seeing again once it's all together.

Cool article!

I wonder if Xtarath will ever get around to updating the OP... :-)

We were on Kotaku today: http://kotaku.com/5027843/red-faction-guerrilla-rhino-packs-destruction-and-360-avatars They mentioned my favorite backpack (that we've announced so far, anyways): Rhino. It's just so satisfying to bust through a wall and whack 'em with the sledgehammer.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For a second I read the thread title as "Red Faction: Gorillas" and got really excited.

For reals though, this game looks great. Multiplayer in RF1 was so, so great and it looks like this is RF1 times a million. :^:

Just out of curiosity, JNighthawk, what do you do?

zilo on
    edited July 2008
    I'm one of the multiplayer programmers. I don't think I can get into specifics, though. Sorry.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I remember correctly, the original problem with the Red Faction engine was that there was a bug where it would essentially crash after some number of geomods (hence the 128 limit imposed).

I wonder if it's been corrected.

electricitylikesme on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it will be interesting to see how the destructibility changes the multiplayer. Instead of people going into buildings will they avoid them for fear they become a collapsing death-trap? Might add a new dynamic to the whole thing.

Trevor on
    edited July 2008
    I'm one of the multiplayer programmers. I don't think I can get into specifics, though. Sorry.

I wish I had gotten more time with the multiplayer. Though one thing Jasen was talking about sounded so fun, playing it like a party game where you each get one hit at a structure, so like a game of reverse-Jenga you have to be careful to not give the other players a window to knock it down on your turn so you can knock it down on your turn.

etoychest on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    For a second I read the thread title as "Red Faction: Gorillas" and got really excited.
    :lol:
    Why is this not being made? GOTY surely

pabh on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This does look like it has potential. As long as you're given a good amount of access to weapons that can cause the big damage. It's pretty much a must buy if they include bot options.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited July 2008
    Voth wrote: »
    This does look like it has potential. As long as you're given a good amount of access to weapons that can cause the big damage. It's pretty much a must buy if they include bot options.

There's quite a few weapons (both conventional and modified mining tools). And the number of vehicles is impressive. I wasn't shown the three drivabal mecha, but I can't wait to tear up Mars with my giant mechanical foot.

etoychest on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Voth wrote: »

There's quite a few weapons (both conventional and modified mining tools). And the number of vehicles is impressive. I wasn't shown the three drivabal mecha, but I can't wait to tear up Mars with my giant mechanical foot.

Since you've played it a bit and since Voth reminded me, did you see any options for bots in multiplayer? Because that'd be pretty fuckin' sweet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wanna know just how easily someone can be killed by a falling building. I'm hoping there's a sense of realism here so that you don't survive 20 tons of concrete falling on you but at the same time there needs to be a point where it doesn't get frustrating.

Glad I'm not making the call on that one .Yeesh

Big Classy on
    edited July 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I wanna know just how easily someone can be killed by a falling building. I'm hoping there's a sense of realism here so that you don't survive 20 tons of concrete falling on you but at the same time there needs to be a point where it doesn't get frustrating.

Glad I'm not making the call on that one .Yeesh

If large debris falls on you, you're definitely taking some damage, and it might kill you. It all depends on the weight of what fell and how fast it's falling.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
    edited August 2008
    http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/redfaction/na/

Fileplanet is offering beta keys to IGN subscribers. Get 'em while they last.

RFG Zone also has some extended gameplay footage: http://rfg.ath.cx:27010/rfgz/index.php

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    w00t just got a beta code, downloading now.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why are betas always on Xbox live :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png