As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

International Travellers Guide to PAX '08

13»

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Another bump post

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Dude, you don't need to bump this every other day.

Or at least if you are, add something to it other than "bump post"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Dude, you don't need to bump this every other day.

Or at least if you are, add something to it other than "bump post"

Apologies for that but I see the thread vanish from the front page so feel the need to get it back there. You are of course right and I shall do my best to make more meaningful posts in the future.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited July 2008
    Commonwealth resident PAX Swag will be available at this year's PAX!

If you're a resident of a Commonwealth country and are coming to you PAX'08 then you qualify for this rather natty badge for you to wear whilst at PAX. Click on the spoiler link to see it:
    Pre_Pax_08_UK_Badges.jpg

To collect it you can come by the Allgames Radio broadcast area at around 3:30pm to 4pm on Friday 29th August where I shall be taking part in the AGR live broadcast which take place near the media room.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh thanks for reminding me *packs his Australian Cricket Team shirt*

Well, the Beach Cricket team shirt anyway. We do love seeing Gladstone Small and Gooch.

CuZZa on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, save me one, I missed you on Saturday!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What if I wish I was from a commonwealth? Please? :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Liger wrote: »

*cough*

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

*cough*

If it means I can have a kickass button, then goddamn I'm a Loyalist reincarnate.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited July 2008

*cough*

If it means I can have a kickass button, then goddamn I'm a Loyalist reincarnate.

I've actually decided to make one for folks in these fine forums too actually. Click on the spoiler buttons below for a work in progress view of it:

Front
    Pending

Back
    Pending

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited July 2008

*cough*

*breaks out the tar and feathers*

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Im totally picking up the commonwealth badge =)

magiic on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I get one? I love Top Gear, own all of "As Time Goes By" and "Coupling" and knew of Laurie before "House" because of "Jeeves and Wooster".

I know all the words to God Save The Queen and would gladly slam the door in the face of Black Rod if given the chance.

Heck, I'll mind the gap on my way to Wimbledon (now that the public is allowed in) while discussing the possible expansion of the CCZs.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mobile phones - I've asked about this in H/A, the consensus seems to be buy one when you get there, phone shops don't just sell sims, our phone companies will charge an absolute fortune for any calls we make/receive, and you can buy a "pre-pay, disposable phone" aka pay as you go, for about £15, which would be way cheaper than paying 50p per text, or £3+ per call.

There is an AT&T in Pacific Place that will give you a SIM and not charge you for anything more than the money you put on your phone to use it.

You do need an unlocked tri or quad band phone.
    Unlocking is easy. Consult the internets.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, Trillian, both our phones are unlocked quad bands, so that will be easy to do.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited July 2008
    Trillian wrote: »
    Mobile phones - I've asked about this in H/A, the consensus seems to be buy one when you get there, phone shops don't just sell sims, our phone companies will charge an absolute fortune for any calls we make/receive, and you can buy a "pre-pay, disposable phone" aka pay as you go, for about £15, which would be way cheaper than paying 50p per text, or £3+ per call.

There is an AT&T in Pacific Place that will give you a SIM and not charge you for anything more than the money you put on your phone to use it.

You do need an unlocked tri or quad band phone.
    Unlocking is easy. Consult the internets.

Nice tip! I've put it onto the OP. Thanks!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited July 2008
    As stated above I've actually decided to make one for folks in these fine forums too. Click on the spoiler buttons below for my latest efforts on it:

Front
    PA_Forum_Badge_Front.jpg

Back
    PA_Forum_Badge_Back.jpg

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I took a trip to England last summer, and one more thing that may be of use to UK-er's (possibly all Europeans):

In the UK, it's Paracetamol. In Canada and the US, its called Tylenol or Acetaminophen.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
    edited July 2008
    chibidani wrote: »
    I took a trip to England last summer, and one more thing that may be of use to UK-er's (possibly all Europeans):

In the UK, it's Paracetamol. In Canada and the US, its called Tylenol or Acetaminophen.

Excellent tip and quite a handy one too. I have added it to the OP.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited July 2008
    Mmm, while I remember, there's loads of OTC stuff we can buy in the UK that you need a prescription for in the USA. I will be a walking chemist's, cos last time I visited USA, I couldn't buy stuff I needed.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, no OTC Codeine here

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Tylenol thing's a wierd one, as all three names come from picking parts out of the actual chemical compound, para-acetylaminophenol.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited August 2008
    Mmm, while I remember, there's loads of OTC stuff we can buy in the UK that you need a prescription for in the USA. I will be a walking chemist's, cos last time I visited USA, I couldn't buy stuff I needed.

I'd be thoughtful about what you bring, walking around with unprescribed medicine might not go over very well, we Americans like our wars on things. Cough Syrup's enough for a penalty if you're caught according to this.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    No worries, I'm bringing copies of my prescriptions - I overheard 2 blokes at Glastonbury discussing what recreational drugs they'd brought with them; I could have made a fortune if I'd sold the box of Tramadol I had with me! I also wouldn't have been able to walk upright for long, either, so I kept them for myself.

LewieP's Mummy on

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    US Federal agents now have the power to seize your laptop, hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods,
    pagers, beepers, video tapes, audio tapes, books, pamphlets and other written materials for no reason when
    you enter the United States. All persons, even US Citizens can have their shit taken.

The agents don't even have to be suspicious of you, they can just take your things.

Welcome to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave! Welcome to the United States!

Penny Arcade comic, The Fedral Bureau of Taking All Your Shit.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited August 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    US Federal agents now have the power to seize your laptop, hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods,
    pagers, beepers, video tapes, audio tapes, books, pamphlets and other written materials for no reason when
    you enter the United States. All persons, even US Citizens can have their shit taken.

The agents don't even have to be suspicious of you, they can just take your things.

Welcome to the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave! Welcome to the United States!

The fourth frame would have had them do a righteous fist pound.

Seriously though, I hope the ACLU and EFF can get SCOTUS to do something about this.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    Updated the OP regarding badge pick up. Just to restate all PAX attendees that reside outside of the US will not have their badges mailed to them. You have to pick them up at Will Call registration area.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2008
    Might want to say that you can pick up your pass Thursday night rather than wait in two lines on Friday.

Transparent on
  • Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »

They apparently had that for a few years now. Which means that there's less chance of them taking my shit, as I took it along with my last year without problems.

Also, I'd think there was more chance of them taking it if you were traveling to the US from countries like Iran than there is if you're traveling from the UK.

Sl1pstream on
    edited August 2008
    This is a reminder post to those that are starting to think about what they need to bring to PAX. Look at the OP and see the checklist of stuff there. Remember to get a step-up transformer for charging your DS!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2008
    With less than 2 weeks to go you should be thinking about the following items that need to be packed in your luggage for PAX, such as:

1) Money -> Consider how much monoplo...I mean US$ you plan to take. Remember things are generally cheaper in the US than in the Old World so try not to equate the same expenditure.

2) Drivers license/ID -> Make sure you have an ID that is recognised as a valid one in the US that proves you are over 18. See the OP for more details.

3) Luggage -> Much as we would love to have the 'Luggage' along to PAX I don't think Rincewind is going to give it up any time soon. Remember to get a sturdy suit case that can withstand the rigours of being thrown about in the luggage hold of an aircraft. Also be mindful or weight restrictions on both hand and luggage stored in the hold of the plane.

4) What to pack -> It's only 5 days so do pack sensibly! You don't need 12 suits, your skiiing gear and a microwave oven. Check out th FAQ post for guides on what to take to PAX if you need help.

5) Pick up this months copies of the following magazines for reading material and use as trade:

The Edge
    GamesTM
    Retro Gamer

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2008
    PAX is now terribly close with a little over a week left before we make the great pilgrimage to Seattle. Here are some more things to think about that international travellers should have on their minds:

1) Passport -> You may have one that is entirely valid but do you know where it is at this very moment? Are you really sure you left it in that draw, next to the drinks cabinet? Best check eh?

2) Money -> Sadly the US$ has had a bit of a surge of late so £ and € isn't as strong as it used to be. Be prepared to pay a bit more for stuff than you thought you would be.

3) Check flight no. and how you are getting to the airport. Also make sure you know which terminal you are flying from.

4) If you're Australian remember to bring rotten fruit to throw at Harmonix for not bothering to release Rock Band in your fine nation due to distribution issues. I am of course joking. Possibly.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited August 2008
    With PAX only days away I decided to check on luggage weight limits and the current status for the visa waiver programme.

For luggage the maximum weight for carry on is limited to 23 kg (51 lbs) and its size is 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles).

Luggage to be checked into the hold is limited to 32kg (70lbs). Any heavier and you are charged extra for it.

Source: British Airways website.

VISA WAIVER PROGRAMME CHANGES

The visa waiver programme is undergoing a very big change as of August 2008! From now you can apply for a waiver to a visa entry to the US online. This is voluntary at the moment but as of early 2009 it will be compulsory prior to travelling to the US. It is preferred that you do make your application out online at least 72 hours before leaving. The information you need to complete the form is as follows:

1) Passport No.
    2) Passport issue date and expirary date.
    3) Flight carrier.
    4) Flight No.
    5) City from which you are flying from.
    6) Name and full address of hotel you are staying at whilst in the US.

For access to the online and more information about it click on this link.

The OP has been updated to reflect this change.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kro, I was having a quick look through the OP and I didn't see anything mentioning using debit/credit cards during the trip.

If you do plan on using a credit/debit card while at PAX you must inform your issuing bank/company that you will be doing so. Banks have an automated fraud detection device that will block your card from working fully if you don't inform them. The best course of action is to call the number that is located on the back of the card.

Sorry if it was already mentioned but it is quite important information to anyone planning on using a card.

Bad-Beat on
    edited August 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Kro, I was having a quick look through the OP and I didn't see anything mentioning using debit/credit cards during the trip.

If you do plan on using a credit/debit card while at PAX you must inform your issuing bank/company that you will be doing so. Banks have an automated fraud detection device that will block your card from working fully if you don't inform them. The best course of action is to call the number that is located on the back of the card.

Sorry if it was already mentioned but it is quite important information to anyone planning on using a card.

Excellent tip! I'll add it to the OP.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• rdldrrdldr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Although I'm only a Canuck, I would love a commonwealth badge. Any more news on a commonwealth party?

rdldr on
    edited August 2008
    rdldr wrote: »
    Although I'm only a Canuck, I would love a commonwealth badge. Any more news on a commonwealth party?

If you encounter either myself or VThornheart at the Bioware booth then you more than likely get a Paxonieer badge. They are much smaller in number due primarily to the fact that we foriegn folk are in the minority at PAX :)

As for the party the person who was organising this fell silent some months back so it would appear that it has been canned. Hopefully someone may set up something unofficial in a bar or something. Any volunteers?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.