As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Soul Calibur Four, Star Wars Characters-You don't have to play as them!

• RWangsRWangs Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All apologies. I guess we live on the same continent after all...it's like we're brothers.

It's more like we're half-brothers that share the same whorish mother.

RWangs on
    PS3 tag/ MGO ID : Terasozin
    41.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All of the anime guest characters are identical to specific series proper characters in movelists.

...and why is that a big deal? I mean, there's a lot of fucking characters here, who cares if the bonus characters (that I was not even aware of until now) are just model swaps?

Were you expecting that Namco had a bunch more unique characters they just never bothered to announce?

Vincent Grayson on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'll never understand why most console gamers have a fundamental disconnect between real world physics and their online experience. It's Mind boggling.

I'll never understand why people attempt to seperate console gamers and PC gamers.

FyreWulff on
  • Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I'll never understand why most console gamers have a fundamental disconnect between real world physics and their online experience. It's Mind boggling.

I'll never understand why people attempt to seperate console gamers and PC gamers.

I still don't know what his comment meant in the first place.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anyone know if the lightsaber is in the create a character mode?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All of the anime guest characters are identical to specific series proper characters in movelists.

...and why is that a big deal? I mean, there's a lot of fucking characters here, who cares if the bonus characters (that I was not even aware of until now) are just model swaps?

Were you expecting that Namco had a bunch more unique characters they just never bothered to announce?

Huh Namco never mentioned the anime guest characters were just model swaps I think most people assumed that they had their own move lists. I t wasn't until the US press got review builds that we found out they were just clones.

bloodyroarxx on
  • RWangsRWangs Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's the controller, d'uh. Even a mere monkey can use a controller to frag some bitches on XBox Live, but only an intellectual being with a BSc in computer science can truly grasp the beautiful ergonomics of a rectangular keyboard from the early 1990s.

Wow, I think my exhaustion might be making me cranky.

P.S. The keys go click click click ^_^

RWangs on
    PS3 tag/ MGO ID : Terasozin
    41.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Two different beasts in my mind, actually. PC gamers tend to enjoy complexity, oodles of options, complicated interfaces, slower and more methodical games. Console gamers tend to be more "pick up and play", more direct interfaces, faster and shorter games. They also don't need a billion buttons to do miniscule things that could be handled with a few menus (i.e. keyboards, hotkeys, all that).

All in all, console gamers don't care, PC gamers expect too much, kbam blows, controller 4 lyfe

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited July 2008

Huh Namco never mentioned the anime guest characters were just model swaps I think most people assumed that they had their own move lists. I t wasn't until the US press got review builds that we found out they were just clones.

I dunno, I had never even seen them mentioned in any of the previews I read/watched, so it's all news to me. I assumed we long ago knew about all of the new characters.

Vincent Grayson on
  • TripKMATripKMA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    arcath wrote: »

It isn't.

TripKMA on
    edited July 2008
    TripKMA wrote: »
    arcath wrote: »

It isn't.

darth_vader_nooo.jpg
    I went there!

FyreWulff on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I was merely stating it as a fact, since you asked. I don't really care. Sure, it's kind of weak that really Hilde is the only new character but she's awesome enough even on her own.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

First, what I mean is that certain people have this idea that they can play games online without lag. I speak specifically about console gamers in this regard because they're, in my experience, far more ignorant about what's actually going on. And this isn't entirely their own fault. Console games would rather give you coloured bars to represent relative lag than the numbered pings and netgraphs you can get in many serious online PC games.

What I mean about physics is just this: there is a travel time for your incoming and outgoing signals. And it doesn't matter what kind of fancy connection you have. If you're in NA and you're playing against someone in Europe you're going to have 150 ping under the absolute best circumstances. Ping = ms, so 150 ping is 150ms delay in everything you see and do. That's 1.5 tenths of a second. That's a really big deal.

And it has no real effect on how smooth your game runs. Constant 200 ping will look nice and smooth, but everything you do will be two tenths of a second behind. You're game only gets really choppy when there are connection troubles (packet loss and the like).

So when people claim that they're having perfectly reasonable games of VF5 or whatever against people on other continents they're just wrong. It may seem fine, but it isn't. And there's nothing any developer can do about that, really.

For competitive online PC games people stick to their local areas, places where they're getting under 50 ping. For console games you often don't even get to choose which server you want. Hell, you often don't even know where the servers are. Really, for online playability console games aren't even trying.

Anyways, it's not a huge deal. I don't play console games online. It just annoys me when I see or hear console gamers talk about international lag-free gaming, like XBL comes with a particle accelerator or something.

Also, no lightsabers have been found for CaS characters yet.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited July 2008
    I'm actually glad they don't have ping numbers in games because people will obsess about chopping 80 MILLISESONDZ!! off their ping, when it doesn't matter.

Or I try to play a game and my 300ms ping ain't good enough, even though it's still under half a second and i get kicked.

FyreWulff on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fyre, if SC4 lags like a bitch, we should play some VF5.

And cry

The Sneak! on
    edited July 2008

First, what I mean is that certain people have this idea that they can play games online without lag. I speak specifically about console gamers in this regard because they're, in my experience, far more ignorant about what's actually going on. And this isn't entirely their own fault. Console games would rather give you coloured bars to represent relative lag than the numbered pings and netgraphs you can get in many serious online PC games.

What I mean about physics is just this: there is a travel time for your incoming and outgoing signals. And it doesn't matter what kind of fancy connection you have. If you're in NA and you're playing against someone in Europe you're going to have 150 ping under the absolute best circumstances. Ping = ms, so 150 ping is 150ms delay in everything you see and do. That's 1.5 tenths of a second. That's a really big deal.

And it has no real effect on how smooth your game runs. Constant 200 ping will look nice and smooth, but everything you do will be two tenths of a second behind. You're game only gets really choppy when there are connection troubles (packet loss and the like).

So when people claim that they're having perfectly reasonable games of VF5 or whatever against people on other continents they're just wrong. It may seem fine, but it isn't. And there's nothing any developer can do about that, really.

For competitive online PC games people stick to their local areas, places where they're getting under 50 ping. For console games you often don't even get to choose which server you want. Hell, you often don't even know where the servers are. Really, for online playability console games aren't even trying.

Anyways, it's not a huge deal. I don't play console games online. It just annoys me when I see or hear console gamers talk about international lag-free gaming, like XBL comes with a particle accelerator or something.

Okie-dokie. I get that my button inputs are delayed in VF5 due to travel time and/or lag. So, hurray for me?

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    So, will the game be out for sale on the 29th or is it shipping out at that time? I ask because I need to know when I should head to GameStop, basically.

YOU AND ME ARE GOING TO BE THROWIN' SHIT DOWN.

You've been obsessed with kicking my ass, inexplicably, for weeks now.

Get the SSF2THDRemix beta and I'll throw down whenever. We don't need to wait for SC4 if you want to lose so badly, Sneak.

uh, i haven't been obsessed with kicking your ass at anything. you are just good at fighting games, and i enjoy playing fighting games with you.

The Sneak! on
    edited July 2008
    Fyre, if SC4 lags like a bitch, we should play some VF5.

And cry

I like to pretend that my online VF5 losses are due to lag issues when the sad reality is that I just get my ass stomped.

VF5 (and 4's) "Quest" is the the best fighting game single player mode IMO.

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008
    VF5's CPU has a major flaw, though, that I can't look past: just block all of their moves, and then they'll just decide to block out of nowhere, for a good two to three seconds, and you can grab them. Repeat until they're dead.

The Sneak! on
    edited July 2008

Okie-dokie. I get that my button inputs are delayed in VF5 due to travel time and/or lag. So, hurray for me?

If you have 200 ping then that's at least a 12 frame delay. Everything fighting game has moves that are faster than 12 frames, and inputs that must be done in less than 12 seconds. For example, window for escaping throws is less than 10 frames, which means by the time you know you're being thrown it's already too late for you to escape it. And good luck trying to block things on reaction.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited July 2008
    VF5's CPU has a major flaw, though, that I can't look past: just block all of their moves, and then they'll just decide to block out of nowhere, for a good two to three seconds, and you can grab them. Repeat until they're dead.

I prefer to throw combos that end with a move that steps back from the opponent. That way they can't throw you if the last move of the combo is blocked. I just don't have the patience (or skill) to block/parry everything.

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008

A BUNCH OF STUFF ABOUT LAG AND TRAVEL TIME.

If you have 200 ping then that's at least a 12 frame delay. Everything fighting game has moves that are faster than 12 frames, and inputs that must be done in less than 12 seconds. For example, window for escaping throws is less than 10 frames, which means by the time you know you're being thrown it's already too late for you to escape it. And good luck trying to block things on reaction.

Your superior ping/frame correlation knowledge trumps my "it just doesn't feel right online" explanation.

Grammaton Cleric on
    edited July 2008

I was merely stating it as a fact, since you asked. I don't really care. Sure, it's kind of weak that really Hilde is the only new character but she's awesome enough even on her own.

Isn't the chick with the huge tits and the katana new? And the weird gothloli girl?

I don't remember them from SC3.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited July 2008

Isn't the chick with the huge tits and the katana new? And the weird gothloli girl?

The first is a bonus character, and just a skin swap of Cervantes. The second isn't a new character, she's been around since 3.

Page- on
    stream
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

All the weird anime girls are just one of the main characters with a different model. And huge tits katana I think is the girl in traditionnal robes and an umbrella (I think?) in SC3. She had an upgrade.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They're clones of old characters

Ohtsam on
  • BagelBagel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    guys who do you think would win a race between voldo and cervantes and by race i mean first to cross the finish line is somehow an even gayer and shittier asshole character then the other

i am going to play nightmare and im gonna grab all the yoda kids and im gonna smash em who is ready for me to do this i cant wait for this game

Bagel on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    UH Cervantes is a Man.

august on
  • BagelBagel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    how am i supposed to respond to that post

Bagel on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    By making a jolly pirate joke and mention how he's a barrel bumper on the high seas?

Aside from all the talk of Yoda and Vader being downloadable I'm wondering how Namco are going to micro rape people with this game.

Cade on
    edited July 2008
    There's already leaked info about classic BGM and costumes coming back as DLC, with prices ranging from free to standard DLC costs.

Page- on
    stream
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hear tell rumor that Vader would eventually be available as DLC in the 360 version but Yoda would not be available as DLC in the PS3 version. This might just be some PS3 fanboy bullshit, but does anybody know anything legitimate about this rumor? I've also heard that the PS3 version looks slightly better. If I can get an answer to each of those questions it would solidify what system I pick it up for. I'm leaning towards PS3 already because I want me some Vader, but if I can get Vader on 360 and have Yoda as well then damn if I don't get that version instead.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited July 2008
    I hear tell rumor that Vader would eventually be available as DLC in the 360 version but Yoda would not be available as DLC in the PS3 version. This might just be some PS3 fanboy bullshit, but does anybody know anything legitimate about this rumor? I've also heard that the PS3 version looks slightly better. If I can get an answer to each of those questions it would solidify what system I pick it up for. I'm leaning towards PS3 already because I want me some Vader, but if I can get Vader on 360 and have Yoda as well then damn if I don't get that version instead.

It's just a rumour. There's no evidence on any of the previous pages of this thread.

Page- on
    stream
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's just a rumour. There's no evidence on any of the previous pages of this thread.
    Which one of my questions are you answering?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Yes.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited July 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

Yes.
    msSwan.png
    He... A-look-a like a man...

The_Spaniard on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

You talk like Namco, or the majority of people who will buy this game, gives a shit about what frame a GI should be executed on, how many frames a 6AA makes you vulnerable for, or anything else. The vast majority of people who buy this game will never care about frame data. They are not tournament players, and never will be. They will just be happy enough to play the game online.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You talk like Namco, or the majority of people who will buy this game, gives a shit about what frame a GI should be executed on, how many frames a 6AA makes you vulnerable for, or anything else. The vast majority of people who buy this game will never care about frame data. They are not tournament players, and never will be. They will just be happy enough to play the game online.

Pretty much this. While I enjoy the technical discussions, being technically minded myself, I've never been good enough at a fighting game to memorize frame data and such. I still manage to beat all my friends, though, and that's good enough for me. ;-)

Online is a feature that's becoming almost standard these days, players expect it, and thus companies will provide it to stay competitive.

Houn on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You're going to have to narrow it down some more. Specifically which chick with huge tits and a katana, and which gothic lolita, are you talking about?

Amy was in Soul Calibur 3.
    Ashlotte was not. She's new to 4.

Setsuka was in Soul Calibur 3. Althought the bustline seems to have been... emphasized, lately.

capable heart on
    edited July 2008
    I like that. "We don't really have a desire to get good at the game, so we're perfectly happy to accept online services that would have been considered a joke in 1993."

The point is not that online play is impossible. The point is that online play is being done so, so wrong, and since console gamers are pretty much a captive market who have no problem with their ignorance, that'll never change.

And you don't have to be a top tournament player for it to effect you. Every person who plays gets the same lag, but obviously people who are just hitting random buttons (and never block anyways) will tend not to notice as much. And I'm not talking about lag that won't make a difference to anyone but the best players, I'm talking about significant delays that will make it nearly impossible to use or defend against certain moves (and quite impossible for newer players, since they're less likely to predict incoming attacks and block early).

What's the point of playing online if you don't plan on being at least a little competitive? And how can you be at least a little competitive if it's basically impossible for you to do certain things? Escaping throws is hard enough to learn without adding in the fact that you simply can't do it once you're ping reaches a certain level.

The way people approach fighting games is a different topic altogether, and it also boggles my mind. But the online options for 99% of console games makes me sad.

Page- on
    stream
This discussion has been closed.