As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Warriors: A New, New, New, New Take

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
Appearing together for the first time in the pages of The Mighty Thor in 1989, the teen team known as the New Warriors did their best to protect New York as well as prove that heroes as young as themselves could make a difference. Thanks to the event leading to the Civil War between Marvel's heroes however, the team as we knew them have been torn to pieces and the name ruined seeminglly beyond repair. Just because there's no team with their name among the Initiative though, that doesn't mean no one else will take it.

Newsarama managed to get a few words in with Kevin Grevioux, writer for the upcoming New Warriors series spinning out of Civil War. In the article, he tells what he can about the new team, particually their status in the changed Marvel Universe and how they'll stand apart from the other teen-teams that now occupy the field.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=96832

Owenashi on

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember when the New Warriors came out. Night thrasher, speedball, firestar,namorita(whatever that female namor chick was called) and I think some guy in blue named marvel boy? (I might be totally off the ball there).

It was an "okay" comic, I remember a few pages of a couple comics that I really liked and that stick with me to this day. A book with quotes like "She was born, she can bleed, she can die." are clearly classics in the making. ;)

I don't know why I'm looking foreward to this new run, every ounce of logic in me says it will suck but I still can't help but hold out hope that it will be a winner.

Caveman Paws on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm gonna give this one a spin when it hits LCS. I tried following the series in my younger, poorer days, and failed miserably. I'd really like to go read the old stuff if I can find it.

Also, I didn't know the writer was a black guy. Knowing this, I will definitely put this on my pull list. Because, you know, we have to stick together. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wwtMask wrote:
    I'm gonna give this one a spin when it hits LCS. I tried following the series in my younger, poorer days, and failed miserably. I'd really like to go read the old stuff if I can find it.

Also, I didn't know the writer was a black guy. Knowing this, I will definitely put this on my pull list. Because, you know, we have to stick together. :P

He looks/talks like such a badass, I knew he acted in Underworld but it was pretty surprising when I found out he was a writer for it too.

Scooter on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember when the New Warriors came out. Night thrasher, speedball, firestar,namorita(whatever that female namor chick was called) and I think some guy in blue named marvel boy? (I might be totally off the ball there).

Vance Astro. Borne fro man attempt by future astronaut and Guardian of the Galaxy "Major Vance Astro" to go back in the past and stop himself from flying through space to a planet for a thousand years only to arrive and meet travellers who already got there by using a faster mode of travel that was invented while he was in hypersleep.

Future laughingstock.

Caused a time ripple that forced Astro's psychic ability to manifest early and differently. Hence, Marvel Boy; later Justice.

Squashua on
  • RPulferRPulfer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The New Warriors is a good team with just a really horrible name. I liked the team, but "Justice" was definitely a future laughingstock, even though I seem to recall he and Firestar made it onto the Avengers post-Heroes Reborn relaunch. And he was still whiney.

Not sure what I think about this new team. The writer keeps saying "They're rebellious", and its like, well, how much more rebellious can you get past Runaways and Young Avengers? It seems this whole book might be made with the idea of one-upping the above teams, which isn't a really good basis for comic. That sort of thing tended to happen a lot in previous Marvel titles (the Thunderbolts would show up and wipe the floor with the pre-Civil War New Avengers to show how tough they were) as well as Wildstorm (some other team would wipe the floor with the Authority to show how tough they were). I'll probably check it out, but I'm not quite sure I like the premise just yet. [/i]

RPulfer on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    I'm wary but will reserve judgement until I see the team/artwork. This really is going to have to be a whole new book.

DMAC on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Warriors... Come out and Playyy-yaaaayyy!

Squashua on
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I checked the wikipedia entry on Marvel Boy (later Justice) and it all came flooding back! Child hood memories I thought lost to the depths of time returned only to hammer home just how much of a geek I always was (and clearly remain).

THe only reason I liked Marvel boy back in the day was because I had the same dorky hair cut. No really that was pretty much the only reason.

Oh yeah, and I liked the colour blue. His uniform was blue. When your ten years old you have very strange criteria for what you like and don't like *shrugs*

Caveman Paws on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bringing this thread back up due to new info on the series coming out of NYCC. To take a look at it, including some of the members on the new team, hit this link here.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102799

New_Warriors_1_cover.jpg
    wondra_copy.jpg
    decibel006.jpg
    tempest008.jpg
    warhawk.jpg

Owenashi on
    edited February 2007
    A sonic guy in a kilt.

Banshee relative?

Scooter on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woah! Okay, then. I wonder who the old character(s) are going to be?

august on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it just me or is it hilarious in a bad way the style in which Marvel is introducing these characters? They seem the be going race first, as if thats the point of these new people.

" We have a new BLACK guy."

And the concept art even has the girl going "esse!"

Argh.

Bloods End on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it hilarious in a bad way the style in which Marvel is introducing these characters? They seem the be going race first, as if thats the point of these new people.

" We have a new BLACK guy."

And the concept art even has the girl going "esse!"

Argh.

Most of the characters are white, though.

robosagogo on
    edited February 2007
    Yes we need more non straight white male characters in comics, but Bloods End is right (imho) that maybe they shouldn't be just waving new minority characters around trying to get attention.

Also I find that alot of the new black/gay/hispanic/etc characters seemed very "hurried" and it rarely seems like alot of thought goes into them, or worse, they are stuck into the same roles over and over (black guy is always a tuff streetwise gangsta type, mexican girl always has a big bad attiude,gay people always stand or speak in overly feminine/butch ways,etc).

Sure there have been a number of good minority characters released over the years but imho they never seem to be given the same attention and effort that they should. Though that doesn't mean we haven't been given some piss poor white characters over the years.

Why not make Sentry asian instead of white? Or East Indian, Black,Native American or even Welsh? ;)

edit: Just checked out the sketches of the new characters and I feel that they back up my statement here. A latino teenage girl with an ipod? Could they try and be a little less obvious with their targetting of the youth market? The flying guy looks lame imho, I've never been a big fan of flyers with angel wings (unless it's -The- Angel from X-men or Hawkman from DC) a Sonic scotsman? Just stick Syrin on the team instead of pumping out another lame "oh I have ties to a popular/money making team!" character who's just a ripoff of a ripoff.

In short the uniforms look less than inspired but I'm sure they are just rough sketches. The concept overall is very promising and I know I'll be sinking some cash into the initial first few books in this series. *crosses fingers*

Caveman Paws on
    edited February 2007
    I don't mind more minority characters in comics, in fact I love it. Jamie and Jason are two of my favorite characters. But this just comes off...I dunno. It feels like pandering. It's like if the concept art of Jamie had him eating a taco while stealing hub caps or something.

Bloods End on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    a Sonic scotsman? Just stick Syrin on the team instead of pumping out another lame "oh I have ties to a popular/money making team!" character who's just a ripoff of a ripoff.

i feel forced to point out that being scottish like this dude is not the same thing as being 'irish' like banshee or siryn

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    also, i don't think 'popular/moneymaking' are words that fully apply to banshee and siryn

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    and also is it really a 'ripoff' to be someone's child? am i a ripoff of my dad because we look alike?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    and also is it really a 'ripoff' to be someone's child? am i a ripoff of my dad because we look alike?

Yes.

I don't mind immediately identifying a character's race in his or her description. You have to mention at some point, and with the dearth of minority characters in comics people are always going to see the introduction of a minority character as some kind of shallow ploy because that's what we're used to seeing, regardless of whether it's mentioned at the beginning or end of a promo.

robosagogo on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm always up for new characters, and especially new minority characters that aren't just given the suit/codename of a defunct white superhero. I'll definitely give this a shot, even though the premise still sounds kind of vague and undefined.

Munch on
    edited February 2007
    i didn't mention it, but i really like that first cover

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Is it just me or does the kid in the kilt look like he has some Apocalypse blood in him?

Bloods End on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yep.

august on
    edited February 2007
    Finally, an Apocalyptian-American superhero. I've been waiting so long.

robosagogo on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That does not look like Paco Medina's art at all

Sars_Boy on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    2 of those costumes look terrible (one is terrible and derivative!), one is derivative, and the fourth is generic, but will hopefully look cool when colored.

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    That does not look like Paco Medina's art at all

Warhawk actually looks like Duncan Rouleau's (Blue Beetle) work. And I dig the hell out of that yellow costume Wondra's wearing.

Munch on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I just finished reading Kevin Grevioux interview on Newsarama...
    In a word…RESISTANCE. They don’t like the fact that heroes now have to register. The analogy may not completely fit, but it’s akin to slaves walking around with “freedom papers” in the south after the war is over...
    For them, registration is yet another way for “the Man” to control the masses.

Aside from being a fucking moronic analogy, I sense much bullshit, overblown, teen angst coming our way.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    edited February 2007
    I wasn't trying to say theres no difference between irish and scotish people (I'm tempted to point out how both are sterotypically seen by us ignorant North Americans as nothing more than brawlers with drinking problems with a history of kilt wearing poets and conflicts with England, but why push peoples buttons for no reason on the internet?)

. When I said that siryn and banshee were money makers I was thinking of their connections to X-men teams which are money makers. Plus any connection to the X-men means that Wolverine will drop by to help with sales... not that he's ever need much of a reason to be included in pretty much every other book but thats a subject for another thread by itself.

I was trying to say that giving a superhero a family member/child who has the same powers has been done to death and in the case of Siryn and Banshee there is no difference (that I know of) between the two powerwise (yeah that makes sense since they are so close genetically but still, it's lazy and clearly just an attempt to breath new interest into an old character by creating another hot redhead which is never a bad idea).

Sadly Judas is probably right and none of this will really matter anyway.

Caveman Paws on
    edited February 2007
    Siryn can mind control/seduce men with certain frequencies of her voice

Of course that may just be because she's a chick

Scooter on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's not just men, actually. She can use her voice to hypnotize people -- she did it to the chick in the first issue of X-Factor.

Of course, it's possible that she was a lesbian to begin with. Who knows.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    She can also take off people's heads, but her aim's a bit off.

Fencingsax on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Panel not seen in the preview for New Warriors #2 has popped up. Despite the indentification made by some, I'd rather link it to you and let you judge for yourself.

http://pics.livejournal.com/kiplingkat/pic/00090cgb

Owenashi on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wowie. You could fucking kill someone with those.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2007
    Jesus fucking christ.

Bloods End on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Apparently resurrection comes with breasts that'd make Power Girl blush.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, you guys need to calm down on that kind of talk. It's really unnecessary.

*clicks*

OH MAN BEWBS!!!
    :P

devoir on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, Beak's now super hot, she is stacked.

Maybe joining the New Warriors comes with a plastic surgery plan.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Apparently resurrection comes with breasts that'd make Power Girl blush.

Amusing as this comment is, at least she is 'only' wearing a skimpy top, rather than cutting a hole in her costume just to show off the bewbs.

LockeCole on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm hoping that's just drawn really badly, particularly because the page that seemed to point to jubilee earlier (http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/3651597.html#cutid1 ) doesn't seem to feature anyone so... endowed.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code