As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

**PRE-PAX 2008 DINNER: THANKS AND AFTERMATH**

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    encouraging people to offer rides to those without vehicles.

or to those of us too fucked up to drive. i trust there will be alcohol at this thing?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

or to those of us too fucked up to drive. i trust there will be alcohol at this thing?

OP says there will be no alcohol served. Besides being a liability, it can get pretty expensive to host a bar at an event.

redhalo on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Besides, you can hit the pub crawl after

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Somebody didn't read the terms and conditions... but yeah, no. Such an allowance would have made it mandatory to get (among other things) a $1,000,000.00 insurance policy for the event and pass even more costs on to the attendees.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ouch, that's a brutal amount of insurance... understandable that we skipped on the alcohol. No worries, we'll be high on life! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Plus if there was alcohol then you'd probably have to check IDs and thus all the not-yet-21 people like myself would be unable to come. And, you know, it just wouldn't be the same without me.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to go, but $30 is a bit on the steep side plus the cab fare there and back. My employer is footing reasonable food costs but deemed this unreasonable :/

If we have a carpool/cab fare sharing thing from the expo hall area I'd be willing to go so I will be watching the thread closely.

atiari on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    atiari wrote: »
    I want to go, but $30 is a bit on the steep side plus the cab fare there and back. My employer is footing reasonable food costs but deemed this unreasonable :/

If we have a carpool/cab fare sharing thing from the expo hall area I'd be willing to go so I will be watching the thread closely.

So, lemme get this straight. You're not paying for your other meals over the weekend, but 30 bucks to come to an awesome dinner with a bunch of PAXers is steep?

No need to take a cab there, just hop on the SLUT (transit train thing) and it stops nearby. On the way back there will be tons of people to split cabs with.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Define reasonable food costs. because if said employer thinks a Happy meal is reasonable, get you another jerb. save up you got 6 weeks.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My employer is rather...thifty. No company credit card for me at all, instead I've had to scour dozens of menus to determine a rough idea of a budget. Not a fun situation and I hope to come to PAX next year on my own dime so I can do whatever I want.

I am going to take a look at my bills and make sure I can spring the cash to go tonight. Hopefully the roughly $40 that it will cost will not screw me.

And yes, I hate officially being an independant contractor :P

atiari on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    atiari, maybe you could hitch a ride with someone coming down from the Magical Mystery Tour? If that'd help. Remember that the 30 simoleans is going to a good cause... potentially two good causes. =) (one being not having one of our best members go bankrupt trying to give us a dinner, the other being potentially Child's Play =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some of you may need a little help with socializing. For you, I have some basic instructions:
    basic080717.gif

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    Some of you may need a little help with socializing. For you, I have some basic instructions:
    basic080717.gif

LOL! Holy shit, that's so true! Last night I was at a networking gala event, and there was this guy there from a rival company *cough*northropgrumman*cough* who seemed nice enough until I told him who I worked for. Then he got that "burning into your soul with murderous satanic rage" thing going with his eyes coupled with the overly enthusiasic "I'm going to break your hand" handshake. He then proceeded to follow me around the rest of the evening...those were good, normal, and completely not awkward times, but I don't think we'll be hanging out on the weekend. :?

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just take the city bus if you can't bum a ride, the transit there is better than most places.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Haterot wrote: »
    While very nice, most people attending are adults and should thus act like one and not depend on the organizers or volunteer clean up crew for rides. call a cab and fork up the 10 bucks.

I concur. Especially since if we have a bunch of people going to the same place it's only gonna be like 2-3 bucks each at the most.

so everyone best remember to bring some ones.

Lots of ones. Especially for when the Dance Off starts!

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, how's the sign-up going?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Whytmage wrote: »
    While very nice, most people attending are adults and should thus act like one and not depend on the organizers or volunteer clean up crew for rides. call a cab and fork up the 10 bucks.

I concur. Especially since if we have a bunch of people going to the same place it's only gonna be like 2-3 bucks each at the most.

If there is a dance off, I will dance off...

...the premises

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

If there is a dance off, I will dance off...

...the premises

and i will serve foo's left and right with the short circuiting robot. it's so hot, it's a fire hazard!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm in for one!

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I might show to the dinner this year! That is, if I can work out the timing.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I might show to the dinner this year! That is, if I can work out the timing.

Then you should register and pay your $30. This is not like previous years. You will be turned away if you do not
    have a ticket. Then we all will laugh at you while you starve outside in the cold Seattle night.

At least I will...

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know both Astayonix and myself will do shuttling, but our priority will be volunteers. I suppose we could make an announcement at the event as well encouraging people to offer rides to those without vehicles.

Woohoo, I was hoping for something like this. Hopefully we can get back in time for some pub-crawling.

CuZZa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, how's the sign-up going?

We've got approx 35% signed up (71 people) - Registrations are trickling in, so it's coming along slowly but surely :)

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    vicious_keinvicious_kein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah i so want to do this dinner. I will prereg in one to two days when i get the money for it.

vicious_kein on
  • Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to do this dinner as well. Will it be a good place to meet people? This is my first time going to PAX (or the west coast for that matter) and I'll be going by myself, so I'd like to do this if people are willing to meet and hang out with new people.

vgc on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's pretty much the focus of the dinner right there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    vicious_keinvicious_kein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm sure there will be lots of people for you to meet and hang out with. thats kinda why i'm going i have been to pax a lot just never to the dinner so i'm hoping to meet people as well.

vicious_kein on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nothing happening, just making sure the thread doesn't go to the next page.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited July 2008

Somebody didn't read the terms and conditions... but yeah, no. Such an allowance would have made it mandatory to get (among other things) a $1,000,000.00 insurance policy for the event and pass even more costs on to the attendees.
    nah, you know how vision gets blurry when trying to read while drunk. anyway, i'll probably have a secret flask in my sleeve or something. :D

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to check with the folks I'm traveling with for timing and whatnot and then go ahead and book. Looking forward to it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The CCST gets into Seattle at 2pm that Thursday. Plenty of time to get checked into your hotel, relax, then go eat.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know it's been said, but I cannot express how important this dinner is for many reasons. #1 and most importantly, Child's Play is a great organization and needs all the help it can get (like most charities). Organizations like that do so many great things for so many people. i don't even know if I will be able to go to the dinner, but knowing I could be helping out kids in need, I still have the tickets.

#2) It's a great place to meet other PAX people. I have gone to PAX for two years now, and both years I was with my small group of friends and I really spoke to very few other people, because i'm shy and not good at approaching people I haven't met and starting conversation. The Dinner gives me (and everyone) a chance to meet these people that i will see all weekend, and expand my friend base, which is never bad. Especially for 1st time goers, this is a huge opportunity to meet people.

#3) Buttons, assassin packs, everything else. Its like Pre-Swag to the swaggasm that happens Friday Through Sunday.

#4) I will likely be there. :D

If you are on the fence and don't know if you can go, get the tickets now. If you make it, it's great. If you don't, you still get the happy "I am helping children" feeling. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I know it's been said, but I cannot express how important this dinner is for many reasons. #1 and most importantly, Child's Play is a great organization and needs all the help it can get (like most charities). Organizations like that do so many great things for so many people. i don't even know if I will be able to go to the dinner, but knowing I could be helping out kids in need, I still have the tickets.

#2) It's a great place to meet other PAX people. I have gone to PAX for two years now, and both years I was with my small group of friends and I really spoke to very few other people, because i'm shy and not good at approaching people I haven't met and starting conversation. The Dinner gives me (and everyone) a chance to meet these people that i will see all weekend, and expand my friend base, which is never bad. Especially for 1st time goers, this is a huge opportunity to meet people.

#3) Buttons, assassin packs, everything else. Its like Pre-Swag to the swaggasm that happens Friday Through Sunday.

If you are on the fence and don't know if you can go, get the tickets now. If you make it, it's great. If you don't, you still get the happy "I am helping children" feeling. :D
    don't forget about getting last minute feedback on our cosplay outfits. speaking of which, cosplaying will be acceptable at the restaurant, right?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited July 2008

don't forget about getting last minute feedback on our cosplay outfits. speaking of which, cosplaying will be acceptable at the restaurant, right?

I don't see why not. Unless people are bothered by it.
    So long as it's not too revealing I think it shouldn't be a problem to have a costume.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i'm shy and not good at approaching people I haven't met and starting conversation.

Prepare to be approached! (but not in a creepy way, cos I'm probably older than your mum!)

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, I just had an idea for the whole transprotation issue. why doesn't someone (in charge) call a few good taxi companies about a week before the dinner? They can tell the taxi companies that we'll be needing X number of taxis depending on how many people will probably needing rides. I'd say we'd need about 30-50 taxis at most. Anyways, if the taxi co's are tipped off about the event, then we'll have a bunch of em waiting outside for us when the dinner is over.

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'm gonna add a point to your list. But I'm going to add it to the #1 spot.

Buying your tickets, makes sure Astayonix and ElectricTurtle don't get sucker punched with a huge bill when this is all over. Keep in mind that they are spending alot of their free time to plan an awesome event for us, and they are not making a CENT in profit! Lets make sure they are willing to do this another year! Buy a ticket, if you don't go, at least you will have done your part to make sure we have a great PAX dinner in years to come.

Someone should read the thread :P Its an event in a reserved building, that Astayonix and ET are having catered. Not a restaurant. But yes, I believe its been addressed here before, that as long as it fits the "No shoes no shirt no service" guidelines, its accepted. Just be sensible!

I'd say we'd need about 30-50 taxis at most.

30-50 taxis?! I sure hope you meant 3-5! Other than the amount though, this is a good idea! Maybe some sort of discount? As I've no experience with taxi services, I don't know if they do that sort of thing.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited July 2008

We're renting a building, so wear whatever you want... as long as it won't get you arrested if the cops were to see you walking down the street in it! :winky:

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay, I just had an idea for the whole transprotation issue. why doesn't someone (in charge) call a few good taxi companies about a week before the dinner? They can tell the taxi companies that we'll be needing X number of taxis depending on how many people will probably needing rides. I'd say we'd need about 30-50 taxis at most. Anyways, if the taxi co's are tipped off about the event, then we'll have a bunch of em waiting outside for us when the dinner is over.

On the transit front, how about this? Those who volunteer during the dinner will of course get driven to their next stop (be it the hotel district downtown or wherever the pub crawl happens to be once dinner's over) by ElectricTurtle and me - free of charge. Those are volunteers only.

For the rest of yous mugs, when you come and check into the dinner, we'll ask you if you need a taxi afterwards, and if so, what your destination is (back to the hotel district, pub crawl, movie, creepy foggy swamp, random location x). We'll tally that up during the dinner and call a cab company to dispatch however many cabs we need for people who've requested them and have them come once dinner's over. Then we'll annouce over the loud speaker that the taxis are here, and have people pile into cabs based on their final destination (you guys can also hash out who rides with who amongst yourselves after dinner). You guys can then split the fare. That should ensure that we have enough taxis for people to make it to their next destination safely. If you need a taxi, bring cash with you because they HATE splitting fare over a bunch of credit cards. I'm also not going to arrange taxis weeks in advance because there's too much going on with other aspects of the dinner - sorry.

We'll only do this arranging of transportation for after the dinner because there's plenty of transit opportunities before the dinner starts. Hope this helps!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys... what can we do to help publicize the need to pre-register? People need to know that (A) this event is awesome and (B) you guys absolutely need people to register... is there anywhere in particular that we can spread word about it that'd be particularly helpful? How goes the attempt to get Gabe & Tycho to mention it? Maybe Moe or Cardboard Tube would be willing to make it a forum-wise message?

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.