As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10000 Years From Now

Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Social Entropy++
...Vast Cities Floating in Perpetual Sunlight Miles Above the Earth's Surface and Individuals Propelled Through Space at Prodigious Speeds by Electro-Magnetic Power Are Predicted for the Future.

I ain't joking.

Personal robots?
robotsss.jpg

Hell yeah:
Radical Advancements in Telecommunications?
vidyafone.jpg

That would be sweet.

Advanced Flying Machines?
flyboat.jpg

Any day now we should have flying cars. Any day now.

Sexier Women?
wimminz.jpg
"Nature seems bent on producing a new race of Amazons. Within the next 50 years you'll find the emancipated woman engaging actively in such sports as football, baseball and soccer. She'll think nothing of chopping the wood and acting as family car mechanic."

I certainly hope so!

Anywhoo, you can get all this info and more from http://www.paleofuture.com/

So, SE++, what are your predictions for the future? Whether it's 100 years or 10000, in what ways do you believe the human race will advance?

Tweaked_Bat_ on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i read world without us not too long ago

interesting read

manhatten is pretty screwy

it's like maintained entirely through direct human intervention

we go away one day and it will literally fall apart in a year

Pony on
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, I am gonna be fucking me a boatload of them Amazons.

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really can't fathom how the world would be then, I'd expect extremely controlled as there will be so many damn people around. Then again, it may end up even more violent, with no where to go without someone trying to attack/harm people. It's bad enough as it is now.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    people will all be dead

probably

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i got my doubts that any humans who existed 10,000 years from now would even be recognizable as humans.

Pony on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If we haven't colonized at least one other star system in 10000 years, its basically over.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nads wrote: »

Your penis will be frightened and retreat back into your body, like a turtle hiding in it's shell.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    we will have robo brains

FAQ on
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Nads wrote: »

Your penis will be frightened and retreat back into your body, like a turtle hiding in it's shell.

So much snoo snoo.

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i mean don't get me wrong i am fascinated by the ideas of guys like ray kurzweil

age of spiritual machines is one of my favorite books

nonetheless his projections of the future terrify me

Pony on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    people no longer, streams of data flying about at light speed, intelligence on a medium of photons and other matter

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    people no longer, streams of data flying about at light speed, intelligence on a medium of photons and other matter

:|

Pony on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was reading this article some time ago that stated that some group believe that our bodies degenerate and grow old due to some gene triggering our system to start killing itself off. The death gene or something. So I expect human life may be longer, but at the same time with more assholes about, just as short.

The Death Gene

Now usually when I post something like this, someone always comes along and says "This was falsified here is the link" or "This is not true", so I'm not holding my breath.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Davoid wrote: »

:|

blah blah blah blah singularity blah blah blah blah

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I want to meet some alien babes

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    you know, the reality of pharmacutical and genetic life extension is this

you can replace every organ in the body and still be the same person

except the brain

the brain will inevitably degenerate. now, theoretically, you could regenerate or even replace that tissue over time as it burns out

but it's not going to be the same

instead of dying entirely, who you are as a person will slowly decay away with your memories as you grow older and you become someone new

in a way

it could be worse than death

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    maybe you'll become someone even more awesome

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    you know, the reality of pharmacutical and genetic life extension is this

you can replace every organ in the body and still be the same person

except the brain

the brain will inevitably degenerate. now, theoretically, you could regenerate or even replace that tissue over time as it burns out

but it's not going to be the same

instead of dying entirely, who you are as a person will slowly decay away with your memories as you grow older and you become someone new

in a way

it could be worse than death

There is a podcast called "Sentient Developments" that talks about this sorta stuff. It's not bad.

One of them is just an hour or so long lecture on the ramifications of life extension.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Its ok Pony. We will have developed teleportation by the time thats a problem, and we'll all have died over and over and over each time we go on a trip.

The only people left with souls will be the very young and the Amish.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Eww... now that I think about it... eww.

Maybe there will be a treatment for that as well, supposedly we're still trying to figure out how to make out brains much more active - have more than the 10-15% used at once, which may help with memories.

Before my grandmother passed on, she told me she remembered her 3rd birthday, her 1st day in school, and a whole heap of other stuff that she remembered, my father said that she had not changed since she was young, so maybe in some people it won't be so bad.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    we use most of our brain most of the time

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I just want my Personal Flying and Transportation Machine already dammit!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Maybe there will be a treatment for that as well, supposedly we're still trying to figure out how to make out brains much more active - have more than the 10-15% used at once, which may help with memories.

Before my grandmother passed on, she told me she remembered her 3rd birthday, her 1st day in school, and a whole heap of other stuff that she remembered, my father said that she had not changed since she was young, so maybe in some people it won't be so bad.

alright listen

i'm going to try

try very hard not to yell at you

were we speaking, there would be a deliberately even timbre to my voice

we use 100% of our brains 100% of the time.

that whole "10-15%" thing is a myth. a wildly misquoted theory from a school of neurological thought that we only use our brains at 10-15% of our theoretical capability.

if you have a car, you drive the whole car, not just the driveshaft and steering wheel. there is a theory that we are only driving our car at 20 mph when it could be kicking up to 150, but that's a theory

we're still driving the whole car

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    see

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i took 1st year neurology

one of my profs would yell at people if they said that

he would just freak on them and threaten to throw them out

i think he over-reacted

nonetheless it bugs me too

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

alright listen

i'm going to try

that whole "10-15%" thing is a myth. a wildly misquoted theory from a school of neurological thought that we only use our brains at 10-15% of our theoretical capability.

if you have a car, you drive the whole car, not just the driveshaft and steering wheel. there is a theory that we are only driving our car at 20 mph when it could be kicking up to 150, but that's a theory

I would have gone fine with "Sorry you're wrong about that", but yeah.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I predict George Clooney will come out of the closet some time this year.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    I predict George Clooney will come out of the closet some time this year.

dear god i can only hope <3

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it is an irritating myth, especially if it's followed by talk of psychic powers

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can't wait to replace my wetware with computational circuitry and upload my sentience to a global grid

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

alright listen

i'm going to try

I would have gone fine with "Sorry you're wrong about that", but yeah.

yeah, sorry

it's just annoyingly prevelant

i see lots of intelligent, otherwise respectable people repeat it

and it's like a viral thought pattern that needs to be cut out before it continues to spread

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    FAQ wrote: »

hrrrrrrrrrrk

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just wait for the days when we can easily alter our genes. Rein back those fat producing systems when getting enough to eat isn't a problem, modify your skin to produce sugars in sunlight to lower food bills! The wave of the future is the 6 armed cubicle worker with 4 mouths and a 12 lobed brain capable of multitasking every one of their projects at once!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thats all fine then.

Psychic powers is a shit load of fuck though.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

hrrrrrrrrrrk

if we really used 100% of our brains 100% of the time we'd be bending spoons and levitating and shit lol

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

hrrrrrrrrrrk

if we really used 100% of our brains 100% of the time we'd be bending spoons and levitating and shit lol

You just know that the day cybernetics becomes prevalent in everyday life that there are going to be people overclocking their brains to a ridiculous degree. So much so that they have to replace their spinal fluid with liquid nitrogen.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    genetic therapy scares me in a specific way

and that specific way is when we get so good at rewiring the brain through gene therapy that we can "fix" all mental illnesses.

i'm worried about what happens then, what we start seeing as illness and what is simply undesirable personality traits and shit.

like people think about eugenics and genetic tampering and they think of ultra-athletic blond aryan superchildren and that's not what upsets me, not really.

people are far too superficial to start doing that.

no, i'm worried when we start saying that we can simply correct people's minds.

not just what they think, how they think.

i mean, it's great to have the power to make the schizophrenic guy free of the voices that tell him to slaughter kittens

but man

man

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    eh, just use neurally controlled nanobots

EDIT: Oh hay I leave in a month for genetic engineering in university dur

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bioshock bioshock lol

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    years ago one of my docs asked me "if we could give you a drug to make your ASPD just go away, and you'd think like a normal person, would you take it?"

no fucking way

not a chance in hell

my condition might make my life hard in lots of ways

but it's the only way i know, it's the only mind i've ever thought with. the idea that something, some drug no less, could just go and remove a fundamental aspect of who i am as a person is terrifying.

Pony on