As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Solicitations for October 2008

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    wwcv25xv2.jpg

"Who wouldn’t want to see their name in lights? Wonder Woman, that’s who, and she’s now hell bent on putting a stop to the Wonder Woman movie. At least she is until she realizes the impact she has on young women and girls, and must decide what’s more important to her – her sanity or her conscience?
    Plus, Wonder Womans’ courtship of Nemesis takes a daring turn as the series hits issue #25!"

I like that cover and story a lot

Garlic Bread on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    it looks like her abs were added after the rest of the piece was finished. never seen ab boobs or belt abs before.

Angry on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    oh hey they're actually collecting JLA/Avengers

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2008
    There are 26 volumes of The Spirit Archives at $60 a piece

goddamn

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    wwcv25xv2.jpg

"Who wouldn’t want to see their name in lights? Wonder Woman, that’s who, and she’s now hell bent on putting a stop to the Wonder Woman movie. At least she is until she realizes the impact she has on young women and girls, and must decide what’s more important to her – her sanity or her conscience?
    Plus, Wonder Womans’ courtship of Nemesis takes a daring turn as the series hits issue #25!"

I like that cover and story a lot

Man, it's adorable. Wonder Woman is good now, right?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Also, Batman with guns is hilarious.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Wonder Woman has been excellent since Gail Simone took over

Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wonder Woman has been excellent since Gail Simone took over
    In the current storyline, it looks like Simone is going to address her Gods fucking Wonder Woman over (and her being forced to go to the other gods for patronage).

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    Doug Mahnke on art for GL #36!

He and Pat Gleason on GLC are so similar that it will be like one gigantic wad of oozy GL/Blackest Night goodness spewed all across my chest... my face....

Fun Fact: Gleason apprenticed under Mahnke when he was young, doing panels for him here and there.

Also?

Ew.

I also find myself underwhelmed by Booster Gold's new creative team; they didn't impress me on the All-New Atom, and the little synopsis for their first issue looks pretty dull. How many fucking times am I going to read a Starro story?

I was really hoping DC would get someone that would get to work straight away building up a suitable mythology for Booster, complete with new, original villains and a long-running arc. Of course, I say this all sight unseen, so maybe it'll be completely awesome. But fuck I'm so tired of Starro.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have no idea what's going on in the upper right of that JLA cover.

Flying heads around Phoenix and ... some kind of gay Captain Caveman?

Lux on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What the hell happened to Dan Jurgens on Booster Gold?

Also, I see Bruce Jones killed another series. 25 issues of Rucka setup, just to be flushed away after six issues of Jones.

As bad as his writing is, he wasn't the one that got it killed. He would've known the book was being cancelled before he even started writing it. The same thing happened with All New Atom, Shadowpact and Flash: FMA. Though it still doesn't explain why they put him on Checkmate in the first place, they should've just cancelled it back when Rucka left. Looks like FC: Resist is going to be the real Checkmate finale anyway, seeing as it's being written by Rucka and Trautman.

As for Booster Gold, I'm guessing (and hoping) it's just a fill-in.

Anyway, Final Crisis is looking pretty good. I love how all the books are being written by Morrison, Johns and Rucka (with Tomasi giving a hand too). Oh and the Superman event sounds interesting too, I hope it lives up to the hype that it'll be Superman's 'Sinestro Corps War'.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    flscv245uv9.jpg

Flash's face looks really odd in that. Linda gots some mom-booty goin on.

This one is written by Alan Burnett, who has done a lot of animated shows. Sounds pretty decent.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    I have no idea what's going on in the upper right of that JLA cover.

Flying heads around Phoenix and ... some kind of gay Captain Caveman?

The heads are the people that make up that Firestorm

And I'm guessing that's the alternate Superman of the group

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alan Burnett also wrote the terrible Salvation Run tie-in in JLA that made me drop the book.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I also find myself underwhelmed by Booster Gold's new creative team; they didn't impress me on the All-New Atom, and the little synopsis for their first issue looks pretty dull. How many fucking times am I going to read a Starro story?

I was really hoping DC would get someone that would get to work straight away building up a suitable mythology for Booster, complete with new, original villains and a long-running arc. Of course, I say this all sight unseen, so maybe it'll be completely awesome. But fuck I'm so tired of Starro.
    A fan thanked Geoff Johns for "Booster Gold", with Johns saying that people told him doing the book would be "career suicide," and saying that Dan Jurgens would take over as writer (he's been the artist since issue #1) with #15, after the two-issue stint by Rick Remender and Pat Oliffe.

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That is good news.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2008
    is he still going to be drawing it?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Unclear, but probably.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited July 2008
    A fan thanked Geoff Johns for "Booster Gold", with Johns saying that people told him doing the book would be "career suicide," and saying that Dan Jurgens would take over as writer (he's been the artist since issue #1) with #15, after the two-issue stint by Rick Remender and Pat Oliffe.

Nifty. I'm somewhat hesitant about Jurgens writing, but what I've read of Tangent: Superman's Reign has seemed solid enough; not great, but not horrible.

I'm still kind of sad that the book will be piddling around with four issues of fill-ins, rather than jump directly into a new arc. Look at Iron Fist. A lot of people were prophesying doom for that book post-Bru and Fraction, but with Swierczynski's, first issue, by kicking things off in a big way while engineering a smooth transition, he seems to have assuaged the fears of fans somewhat, if messageboard chatter is to be believed. I'm worried that comic fans will do what they normally do in the face of a bunch of creative team shifts, and abandon the book in droves, looking at the fill-ins as a good jumping off point for the series.

Hopefully not, as it'd be a shame to see the book die due to poor planning.

Munch on
    edited July 2008
    I liked Jurgens' run on Thor

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    I'm always a little nervous about writers that were working in the 80's and 90's writing comics today, just because there's such a big difference in how they're written. The whole voice of comics has changed in the last several years.

Of course, some guys only get better with time, adapting as necessary, but some guys become Chris Claremont.

Munch on
    edited July 2008
    His Thor run was pretty recent, it ended just before Avengers Dissassembled

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

jurgens's's run on thor is basically the best, most solid, definitive-est run since stan lee touched the book

it's like mark waid on fantastic four or grant morrison on x-men

pure awesome

Whippy on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited July 2008
    the stuff jurgens did for common grounds was also really, really good

man, shit

just fucking common grounds

now that was a good book

Whippy on
    edited July 2008
    New X-Men is hardly difinitive

but yes I love the Waid FF so much

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008

jurgens's's run on thor is basically the best, most solid, definitive-est run since stan lee touched the book

it's like mark waid on fantastic four or grant morrison on x-men

pure awesome

Whoa there superguy - what about the Walt Simonson run?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    New X-Men is hardly difinitive

but yes I love the Waid FF so much
    Bale, while you didn't like New X-Men, it's pretty fucking definitive.

Hell, Marvel released omnibuses of it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2008
    Look I'm not even arguing about the quality.

It's not a definitive X-Men run, nothing before it or after it bears any resembalence to it. It's a complete and radical departure. Thats why I say its not definitive, it has nothing to do with the quality of it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    It's not a complete departure. The focus is still on the school and what it means to be a mutant, and there's even an obligatory bleak future and Jean Grey death.

That's what X-Men is all about.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    I've had this discussion too many times here, I know I'm the only person here who dosen't worship that run. But in my opinion the only thing the X-Men have that can be called definitive is Uncanny X-Men #94-138.

That run still defines X-Men today, the New X-Men stuff didn't define much of anything.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Bale what was that run
    Was that Phoenix

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    It was the start of the Chris Claremont era and includes the entire Phoenix Saga yes

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Swing and a hit

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    pick up the first 2 volumes of Essential X-Men Wiggin if you're curious

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Thinking about it
    It's either that or Preacher when I hit the mall tomorrow/Wednesday

Me Too! on
    edited July 2008
    I think you'd have to include thru UNCANNY 143 -then I'd agree with Bale.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't particularly love New X-Men. Of course, I'm one of those heathens who doesn't worship Morrison, so...

Fencingsax on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed the New X-Men run right up until
    Magneto started doing lines or whatever. I did enjoy the Beak parts of it, making Bale my eternal nemesis or something. I liked Beak a lot more after the Exiles used him though... I wasn't a huge fan just based off his slightly forced appearances in NXM.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited July 2008
    I thought that part was fine, and I get that he was in Sublime's control and all that.

I just thought it was kind of a punk way for him to go out

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I enjoyed the New X-Men run right up until
    Magneto started doing lines or whatever. I did enjoy the Beak parts of it, making Bale my eternal nemesis or something. I liked Beak a lot more after the Exiles used him though... I wasn't a huge fan just based off his slightly forced appearances in NXM.

It's okay, that wasn't Magneto. It was Xorneto.

mattharvest on